Lions ownership discussion thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am

I don't want to sound like an apologist for Pezim, but the Stamps owner did renege on the huge money contract used to lure Flutie from B.C. And then subsequently the Argos paid more to Flutie than was sustainable.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG and on the road for work the next 2 years; Adams Lake, Castlegar and points beyond

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 pm

DanoT wrote:
I don't want to sound like an apologist for Pezim, but the Stamps owner did renege on the huge money contract used to lure Flutie from B.C. And then subsequently the Argos paid more to Flutie than was sustainable.
It's interesting though. I think Calgary's acquisition of Flutie was strictly for football purposes. If Ryckman wanted to make the move for improved gate then it didn't really pay off. While BC's attendance nose-dived like a Kamikaze dive bomber on a suicide mission post-Flutie the Stampeder attendance rise was very modest going from an average of 24307 in 1991 to 25440 in Flutie's first year. The potential to increase was probably not that great as they were already a pretty good club going 11-7 the year before Flutie. Did Flutie's Calgary contract not also include a big "personal services" portion? If so Pezim likely would've needed to go down that path to match. Given he wound up declaring bankruptcy Flutie likely would've gotten the shaft there too.

No doubt there never would've been a dull moment under Murray. He liked to be outrageous and play the showman and huckster. I referenced the team heading down the F-Troop path but the more I think about it the more I think a fairer ownership comparison would be to the Gliebermans or perhaps legendary St.Louis Browns and Chicago White Sox owner Bill Veeck. A lot of the things they tried would've been right up The Pez's alley. I'm thinking the Gliebermans Mardi Gras beads, Veeck's Disco Demolition Night or signing 3'7" Eddie Gaedel to pinch hit for the Browns one game.

I'm trying to figure out when exactly Pezim bought the club. I can't remember if it was before the 89 season or part way in. Regardless there was quite the number of changes and cast of characters in charge through he 2+ years. Some stability was finally reached at about the halfway point of Pezim's tenure when Obie was put in place.

HCs:
Larry Donovan (incumbent) fired Aug 6, 1989
Joe Galat - Aug 7, 1989 to Nov 29, 1989 (seasons end)
Lary Kuharich - Nov 29, 1989 to Sept 7, 1990
Jim Young (interim) - Sept 7, 1990 to Sept 14, 1990
Bob O'Billovich - Sept 14, 1990 to Nov 13, 1992

GMs:
Joe Galat (incumbent) - released at end of 1989 season.
Joe Kapp - fired 11 games into 1990 season
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Hambone wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 pm
DanoT wrote:
It's interesting though. I think Calgary's acquisition of Flutie was strictly for football purposes. If Ryckman wanted to make the move for improved gate then it didn't really pay off. While BC's attendance nose-dived like a Kamikaze dive bomber on a suicide mission post-Flutie the Stampeder attendance rise was very modest going from an average of 24307 in 1991 to 25440 in Flutie's first year. The potential to increase was probably not that great as they were already a pretty good club going 11-7 the year before Flutie. Did Flutie's Calgary contract not also include a big "personal services" portion? If so Pezim likely would've needed to go down that path to match. Given he wound up declaring bankruptcy Flutie likely would've gotten the shaft there too.

No doubt there never would've been a dull moment under Murray. He liked to be outrageous and play the showman and huckster. I referenced the team heading down the F-Troop path but the more I think about it the more I think a fairer ownership comparison would be to the Gliebermans or perhaps legendary St.Louis Browns and Chicago White Sox owner Bill Veeck. A lot of the things they tried would've been right up The Pez's alley. I'm thinking the Gliebermans Mardi Gras beads, Veeck's Disco Demolition Night or signing 3'7" Eddie Gaedel to pinch hit for the Browns one game.

I'm trying to figure out when exactly Pezim bought the club. I can't remember if it was before the 89 season or part way in. Regardless there was quite the number of changes and cast of characters in charge through he 2+ years. Some stability was finally reached at about the halfway point of Pezim's tenure when Obie was put in place.

HCs:
Larry Donovan (incumbent) fired Aug 6, 1989
Joe Galat - Aug 7, 1989 to Nov 29, 1989 (seasons end)
Lary Kuharich - Nov 29, 1989 to Sept 7, 1990
Jim Young (interim) - Sept 7, 1990 to Sept 14, 1990

GMs:
Joe Galat (incumbent) - released at end of 1989 season.
Joe Kapp - fired 11 games into 1990 season
Thanks for the memories. Not all of that was good though lol

A thread on best owner was here -

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... f=2&t=5673

For those around during those times it's a grim reminder how a change in owner is not always a good thing. Galat fired Matthews as you noted about the 15th game (IIRC) and practically drove Lui P out of the team and the CFL. Kapp was no President and GM as he had only some coaching experience.

• Information