Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 pm
leo4life wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm
Burhnam has said he wants Jones back as OC and he feels he is a 'Top Cordinater" in the CFL.Im not sure Chris Rainey,JJ24 and Chris Williams feel the same...would like to see Lapo as HC/OC and Noel Thorpe as DC but thats too much in Wallys World
Did Burnham suffered a concussion ?
NO, he made the western all start team, so that could be clouding his judgement. :tease:
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
leo4life wrote:
Burhnam has said he wants Jones back as OC and he feels he is a 'Top Cordinater" in the CFL.Im not sure Chris Rainey,JJ24 and Chris Williams feel the same...would like to see Lapo as HC/OC and Noel Thorpe as DC but thats too much in Wallys World
Both Rainey and JJ24 were unemployed when the Lions signed them. They both have enjoyed by far the greatest success in their careers under Khari Jones.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
leo4life wrote:
There was a time when many Lionbackers thought the same of Geroy when they found out he was lobbying for the return of Chap.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
mountaincat
Rookie

Braley will be on 1040 with sekeres and price in about 20 minutes around 330pm
mountaincat
Rookie

correction: Dave Naylor was on, who had interviewed Braley off air. listening to the audio right now:

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/CKSTAM-48k-pl-4474.m4a
mountaincat
Rookie

here's a few points im taking from this audio:

-relationship b/w buono and braley is becoming strained

-braley will likely not just be absentee owner but absentee president for foreseeable future

-this is void of common sense and is a test for the new commish

-sekeres says braley is so stubborn he will do whatever he wants no matter what anyone says

-sekeres worried franchise being run into the ground
MacNews
Team Captain

This sideshow is not helpful, it is getting concerning.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My take from the tape on Naylor's thoughts ...

Braley ... Visionary? No.
Frugal.
Times change. Braley has not.
No President --> Unacceptable.
Common sense missing.
Absentee owner.
Tough test for Ambrosie.

Sekeres says Braley is stubborn.

My take? Wally should cut Braley loose. Retire. What on earth would Braley do then?

It is becoming a tragedy. Braley seems out if touch, even delusional. King Lear. He talks about it being one bad year after 20+ good ones.

Case study in failed sports ownership and management.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Frugal.
Common sense missing.
Absentee owner.
Tough test for Ambrosie.

My take? Wally should cut Braley loose. Retire. What on earth would Braley do then?

It is becoming a tragedy. Braley seems out if touch, even delusional. King Lear. He talks about it being one bad year after 20+ good ones.

Just IMO ...
Not King Lear....why couldn't this be more like "Much Ado About Nothing"?

Braley should rethink his approach or he just might be cursed, trying to scrub the blood of the franchise off his hands as he mutters "out damn'd spot"!

The point made about the relationship between Wally and Braley becoming strained, has real weight behind it IMO. Wally gave Braley two more years along the sideline so Braley could have two more years to sort out the team sale.

Only Braley didn't get it done....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sad situation, getting worse by the day.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Frugal.
Common sense missing.
Absentee owner.
Tough test for Ambrosie.

Just IMO ...
Not King Lear....why couldn't this be more like "Much Ado About Nothing"?

Braley should rethink his approach or he just might be cursed, trying to scrub the blood of the franchise off his hands as he mutters "out damn'd spot"!

The point made about the relationship between Wally and Braley becoming strained, has real weight behind it IMO. Wally gave Braley two more years along the sideline so Braley could have two more years to sort out the team sale.

Only Braley didn't get it done....
Shakespeare covered all contingencies ...
I am a very foolish, fond old man,
Fourscore and upward, not an hour more or less;
And, to deal plainly,
I fear I am not in my purrfect mind.
Lear, Scene VII -- King Lear
Braley is obviously very, very fond of the Lions franchise. But, more and more, his judgment and words are questioned publicly. It is a sad state of affairs for a man who has done much good for the CFL. Sports ownership is very public. When things go wrong, decisions and capability are examined.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:29 pm
PigSkin_53 wrote:New ownership at any cost...time for Braley to ride off into the sunset, and take his lame sidekick with him when he goes!
Careful what you wish for. It could be worse, ALOT worse.
I 'll take that gamble in a daylight minute...it couldn't be worse than it is now, and the fact that Leos are missing the playoffs for the 1st time in 21 years speaks volumes louder, than anyone's fears of the franchise's future without Braley and Buono!
WestCoastJoe wrote:

It is becoming a tragedy. Braley seems out if touch, even delusional. King Lear.
More like "The Mad King" (The Game Of Thrones) :wink:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Hambone
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:10 pm

I 'll take that gamble in a daylight minute...it couldn't be worse than it is now,
You apparently forgot about the ownerships of Pezim and Skalbania.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 pm
PigSkin_53 wrote:

I 'll take that gamble in a daylight minute...it couldn't be worse than it is now,
One thing that you should NOT forget about Pezim is that he literally wined and dined Flutie (Pezim's hobby was gourmet cooking) and thus is responsible for Flutie coming to the CFL. And Lions could do worse than Pezim's larger than life personality and promotion ideas....in fact they have done worse. :bang:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 pm
PigSkin_53 wrote:

One thing that you should NOT forget about Pezim is that he literally wined and dined Flutie (Pezim's hobby was gourmet cooking) and thus is responsible for Flutie coming to the CFL. And Lions could do worse than Pezim's larger than life personality and promotion ideas....in fact they have done worse. :bang:
And he was also the one who was totally responsible for Flutie leaving for Calgary. He also brought us a washed up Gastineau and paraded him along with Brigette Nielsen onto the BC Place carpet like it was the red carpet before the Oscars. No denying Pezim's personality but it was obvious the club was headed down an F-Troop like path. The Pez would deliver lots of sizzle but quickly turned the steak into ground chuck. Determining the ask was too rich for Flutie Murray saw attendance and the record plummet as BC went from 11-7 to 3-15 and attendance dropped from an average of 40889 to 25319 or a total of 140127 fewer fannies. Mercifully The Pez declared bankruptcy and the CFL took over the team before the end of the 1992 season was over.