Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... 1-1.680543
Tom Mayenknecht was on 1040 yesterday. Segment starts about 43:00. He said that a valuation of $26-27 million seems reasonable (using Forbes style of valuation). Interesting discussion including "what if" ownership of BC Place by the team was an option.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't hold the silence of any sale being a case of dithering or indication that no discussions are taking place. Pro sports franchise sales aren't as simple as selling a car on Kijiji. They can be very complicated transactions the majority of which are rarely aired publicly until they are done deals. As a private businessman Braley definitely lives by the word private. He keeps all business dealings close to the vest and largely prefers to keep out of the public eye. Outside of a little bit of media speculation I honestly don't expect to hear anything on a sale literally until the day it's announced that an agreement is in place. Could be next year. Could be next month.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David Braley has been testing the waters on a potential sale of the Lions for years.

Braley is not a motivated seller, willing to take an offer he considers too low. And one can easily believe that he has great affection for the franchise.

It seems to this fan that the only way he parts with the team is if he gets a highly motivated buyer, willing to pay up big time.

It sounds like Aquilini and Braley are far apart on a price. The odds are for a continuation of the status quo, no sale.

This fan has been very happy with Braley as owner. But, due to all the talk of selling, it seems like it is time to move on.

It does not look like Braley is going to get $25-$30 million for the team. Prospective buyers have been falling to the wayside. Braley is getting on in years, having some health issues. Many fans are getting restless. On it goes ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From March of 2014, Greg Douglas, in the Sun ...

2014, almost 3 years ago.
Lions’ $60-million price tag ‘dreamt up,’ says owner David Braley

Greg Douglas, Special to The Vancouver Sun 03.28.2014

SCENE & HEARD: Owner David Braley wants to set the record straight regarding a published report in a Toronto newspaper earlier this week that he has put a price tag of $60 million on his B.C. Lions.

"I have never mentioned $60 million to anybody," Braley said from his Orlick Industries office in Hamilton Friday afternoon. "I also have not spoken in several months to the columnist (Steve Simmons) who ran the item. It came strictly out of the blue. It's been dreamt up."

During Braley's last trip to Vancouver in mid-February, he was quoted in this space as saying "I'd be inclined to think in terms of $40 million" when he was asked what price he would put on the Lions.

"Since that number appeared," Braley said, "I have had at least seven people express an interest, all of them from the Vancouver business community. The fact there is that much interest tells me I have done something right during the past 18 years I've owned the team."

While he balked at identifying any of the potential purchasers, he did say "some of them are Waterboys,” referring to a team of local corporate executives who throw their support behind the Lions.

"I am not in any hurry," Braley said. "The right person or group must have credibility on and off the field, meaning a solid business background and an understanding of the game."
"I am not in any hurry," Braley said.

Not in any hurry. We have seen that. Yup. LOL
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

LU on 3 Down Nation: The Lion's owner makes his first statements since his illness last year (while in town for the first time since then).
https://3downnation.com/2017/03/30/bral ... must-sold/
Sounds like Mr Braley feels a bit more motivated to sell (but it probably won't happen this year, as it would have to happen before training camp).
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

just wanna say that I am happy for braley that he is on the upswing.

I expect he will do right by the lions and their fans.

welcome back mr Braley :yahoo:
Last edited by KnowItAll on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here! Here! to that, echoing what you said KnowItAll. Good words. Indeed, I say, Welcome back to good health (and a return to at least a slightly more visible presence regards our Lions -- though I know it's not the man's usual style to be a face on the screen).
I really appreciated this little video appearance, kinda' like a 'hello fans -- I'm here and I care'. A likeable demeanor. Not without charm. But very evidently knowledgeable about football and his team's personnel, and pragmatic about his future with it/us. And, I'd reckon tough as nails when it comes to negotiating/wheeling and dealing. Glad to have him. Wishing all the best, in every regard. i.e. for himself (health-wise), for the Lions' short-term and long-term changes, and for the patient (well, sometimes impatient!) fans.
Qman
Champion

honestly don't see him selling until he is in his 80s, this team has been on the block since after bob ackles died and he keeps raising his price.
Plus they make alot money (mostly in gc years)

2011 11m profit (gc year)
2012 2m profit
2013 1m profit
2014 10m profit (gc year)
2015 0
2016 0

That 24m last 6 years. next six is probaby string of breakeven to $1M seasons plus $8m on another grey cup. Plus the next TSN deal will higher based on the high ratings CFL continues to get and compared to other recent deals (ott senators got 30m for 60 games at 150k views), that will lower the breakeven even more.

Honestly, the main issue i have with his ownership is he takes all the money back to hamilton, instead of spending it on practice facilities and building brand around town.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:That 24m last 6 years. next six is probaby string of breakeven to $1M seasons plus $8m on another grey cup. Plus the next TSN deal will higher based on the high ratings CFL continues to get and compared to other recent deals (ott senators got 30m for 60 games at 150k views), that will lower the breakeven even more.
The current TSN deal may be as good as it gets for the CFL. Attendance has been slipping for many pro sports as fans decide stay home and watch the games on big-screen HDTV, drink their own beer, eat their own snacks and avoid the hassle of commuting and parking. TV ratings have been up and down in recent years as cable customers cut the cord to protest high fees and lengthy commercial breaks. Radio broadcast fees have evaporated. Online streaming is the next big thing but TV rights-holders balk because they haven't figured how to make money from it. News and sports media are facing the same reality. Consumers want realtime access to everything but don't want to pay for it. They choose to consume news and sports online, where Google and Facebook get most of the ad revenue and don't pay for the content.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:honestly don't see him selling until he is in his 80s, this team has been on the block since after bob ackles died and he keeps raising his price.

2012 2m profit
2013 1m profit
2015 0
2016 0

That 24m last 6 years. next six is probaby string of breakeven to $1M seasons plus $8m on another grey cup. Plus the next TSN deal will higher based on the high ratings CFL continues to get and compared to other recent deals (ott senators got 30m for 60 games at 150k views), that will lower the breakeven even more.

Honestly, the main issue i have with his ownership is he takes all the money back to hamilton, instead of spending it on practice facilities and building brand around town.
Where do you come up with these numbers? In the 20 years Braley has owned the club I have never seen one single substantiated report of the Lions profit or loss yet you keep trotting out these figures of a private venture like they are facts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Qman wrote:honestly don't see him selling until he is in his 80s, this team has been on the block since after bob ackles died and he keeps raising his price.

2012 2m profit
2013 1m profit
2015 0
2016 0

Where do you come up with these numbers? In the 20 years Braley has owned the club I have never seen one single substantiated report of the Lions profit or loss yet you keep trotting out these figures of a private venture like they are facts.
when 3 of their competitors all release all financials public information it easy.
profits from 2011 grey cup and the 2014 grey cup (which was the most profitable to date -- even though is was short of a sellout -- that was the first year of really jacking up the ticket prices. It has the highest gross of any event in canada) are common knowledge.

Plus, like many people on here, i know people at the club
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote: Honestly, the main issue i have with his ownership is he takes all the money back to hamilton, instead of spending it on practice facilities and building brand around town.
can you prove this?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

I don't think its all that important, whether Braley had annual profits or losses on the books, because good accountants can show the books as making a profit or showing a loss for the purpose of income taxes, etc.

Braley began his venture into the CFL by secretly providing loans for profit to the Argos before purchasing them at a rock bottom price. His plan was to sell the Argos in a couple of seasons. He also purchased our Leos for a very good price.

Like all investments, sometimes you have to incur losses until a time when things turn around and you can sell the franchise for such a big profit that it makes any annual loss not very significant. His Grey Cup hosting also has to be looked at as part of the picture.

Braley's venture into the CFL was not altruistic. He will walk away from the CFL with some very good money in his pockets. Braley was thethe most powerful man in the CFL for many years, as owner of both the Argos and the Lions.

Both teams needed an owner with deep pockets at the time Braley purchased them and both teams benefiited from his purchase due to the benefits of stable ownership and the ability to be patient with annual losses, should they occur.

Braley, due to his CFL involvements, increased his profile in Ontario and B.C. and his CFL involvement was a factor in being chosen as a Senator. Braley will walk away benefiting from his CFL experience with a lot more money, a lot more recognition, and appreciation. Toronto and B.C. benefited from stable ownership.

But Braley was also cheap in terms of marketing, employee hiring, etc. and in Toronto, he couldn't get a different stadium, was cheap with practice facilities, etc. until he sold. He was a very tough negotiator in selling the team in Toronto and things got nasty for a while. He also wanted a share of future profits. I expect Braley to do the same here in B.C. He is a business man. His foray into the CFL was about business most and profit in the end game.....not altruism.

He is not a hero nor is he a villain.

He bought two teams at a time when they were desperate for an owner. From a fan perspective Braley's ownership was needed or someone like him who was wealthy. Braley also benefited by purchasing the Leos and Argos at a rock bottom price with the goal of making money, as he did with his loans prior to becoming a CFL owner in Toronto and here in B.C.

Braley will walk away from the CFL richer and two teams got stable ownership. I appreciate that Braley purchased our Leos but I don't exalt him for doing so.

Braley will sell at the time he can get the very best deal he thinks he can. He has shown patience regarding selling our Leos and I believe he will continue to be patient if he thinks its necessary to get the price he wants.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Perhaps the most important and illuminating piece that's been written on the Lions' ownership situation. This article lists the names of all of the potential suitors. My interest in Aquilini just waned upon reading that it's his dream to own a National Football League team one day (I don't want risk having him buy the Lions/BC Place as a means to get an NFL team here one day). Roberto Bosa looks promising to me. Deep pockets and he's been a team sponsor (so his interest seems legitimate). Moray Keith is likely the most passionate about the club but I am not sure he has quite the same financial clout of the others (not saying he's not a wealthy man, but does he have the financial wherewithal to potentially withstand years of heavy losses?).

ARTICLE HERE.

Here are the 6 alleged interested parties:

Luigi Aquilini – Aquilini Investment Group
Roberto Bosa – Bosa Ventures
Alex G. Tsakumis – Trigate Properties Group
Moray Keith – Dueck Auto Group
Mark Woodall – Special Risk Insurance Managers
David Sidoo – East/West Petroleum

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Intriguing little article that. Thanks for sharing David. I'm in way way way over my head joining this discussion from the perspective of knowing anything sophisticated about the various business angles that come into play in such negotiations -- or much about any of these big players here. I simply don't (know). But I do know what I like to hear! And I, like you, quickly noted the passion coming from Mr. Moray Keith -- and you gotta' love it! I've not anywhere near enough info to know if it's realistic to dream, but given that expressed enthusiasm (Mr. Keith's), it would be grand for someone that felt that way about our Leos, and, importantly, had deep pockets, to be the new owner. If we could be so lucky! Alas, (but quite understandably) Mr. Braley won't be much swayed simply by anyone's love for the Lions. I sure hope that comes into play though, and significantly so.