Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:42 am
More from Rick Dhaliwal with respect to Francesco Aquilini:
Aquilini : "I have had discussions with David Braley about the #BCLions but no further discussions at this point."

DH :cool:
I would think that would be the case not only with Aquiini but any of the other rumoured parties of interest. With Braley having decided to operate the club in 2018 his top priorities have to be dealing with Buono's situation and the ripple down effect on the coaching staff and all other aspects of having things in place for football and business ops to prepare for the 2018 season. We're already passed the point where a deal could've been struck that would allow new ownership the time to take over, settle in and deal with those same issues. With that the urgency to get something done is off. It doesn't really matter now if a deal were to be consummated in January, April or September so better to deal with the immediate priorities of prepping for 2018 and wait until the new year to restart sale initiatives. Maybe by that time the SCC will have made their call removing that from being an issue.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CONNECTICUT YANKEE wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:53 pm
This long term lease talk is most concerning and putting the next owner in a precarious situation.
Does the league have any recourse to stop Mr.Braley?
Can they just extend for a year and see what the situation looks like in November 2018?
Mr.Braley and the Wetenhall's should be applauded for their actions to save the CFL but there present behavior
is looking very unstable.
I would hope Commisioner Ambrosie steps in and brings closure to this mess before it's too late.

Extending for 1 more year is plausible. Keep in mind since that deal kicked in PAVCO and the BCGEU have negotiated a new CBA with their employees. As we all lament things have changed for the Lions and attendance which directly translates to the amount of business and revenue PAVCO realizes from the club. Depending on how all of that impacted their costs PAVCO may not be at all receptive to a short term extension. They may feel a need to tear it up and negotiate a new deal.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So Does Pavco have the kind of flexibility to give up one of it's anchor tenants? Cause that would seem to be the outcome of inflexibility on their part? I'm not so sure that they should have any long term certitude in either the Lions or the Whitecaps particularly given how underutilized the facility is for both those franchises. They are literally working at half capacity for both those teams. These things are always a tight rope. Push too hard and eventually, teams may just try and find elsewhere to play. Could easily see a push for a new, smaller capacity stadium somewhere other than the downtown in the future. BC Place is a little like an appendix. Part of the city but probably not the best use of the space. I don't truly expect it to go anywhere but if the situation becomes dire enough for the Lions re: attendance and so on, perhaps we see new owners pushing for a new venue down the road. It must cost the Lions a lot more than some other teams to play out of BC Place rather than a smaller somewhat more size appropriate facility.

Put me down as someone who wouldn't want Tillman back. He was a slimy, half truthful guy the first time round and most were glad to see the back of him when he went away. His time in Rider Land didn't do much to improve opinion's of him. He would be a public relations nightmare which is not a good way to start to rebuild a fan base. What we need is someone of impeccable character if not experience. Would rather suffer the growing pains of someone like that who the public at least like than see a tired retread of a GM with character issues attached (rightly or wrongly). I wonder what it would take to pry Hufnagel out of Calgary to take over as President (dreaming I know)
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

As announced by Wally in his presser this morning, Mr. Brayley will continue to own the team in 2018.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am
I wonder what it would take to pry Hufnagel out of Calgary to take over as President (dreaming I know)
It's always possible. How many here thought Buono would wound up in BC ?
cjones2451
Rookie

Just got an email from David Braley.....as did all season's ticket holders

Today I am reaching out to you as one of our valued season ticket holders. Your support of the BC Lions is greatly appreciated and I want to personally thank you for it.

We are all disappointed with the final outcome of the 2017 season. In 2016, we made significant changes to the team and turned the club’s performance around finishing with a winning 12-6 record. This season, we re-signed a number of our key free agents and added players that we believed would make the team even better than the previous year. This 2017 team was built to compete for a championship; we had high expectations that did not materialize, however, we will fix it. Changes will be made to the organization this off-season to ensure we put forth a winning team.

I am passionate about this football club, its commitment to the community and the Canadian Football League. There is a lot of work to be done and I will make important changes this off-season based upon what’s best for this team and you, our loyal fans, in an effort to put a competitive, exciting product on the field in 2018.

This is not the end of our journey together; I am going to be with you as the owner of this franchise through next season. I am committed to ensuring this team is the best it can be as we move into the year ahead.

With my thanks again for your kind support of the BC Lions,

David Braley
Chairman
BC Lions Football Club

Not a solution but a start, lets see if he backs it up
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I just got the Braley letter. I like it better than the annual letters we used to get from Dennis Skulsky. I’m not sure what changes he plans to make. He has already said it’s Wally’s decision whether to return next year. I can’t see Braley interfering in Wally’s choice of assistants if he returns, or his personnel decisions. That doesn’t leave much room for change.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Will there be REAL changes or a reshuffling of the chairs on the Titanic ? I'll believe it when I see it. Til then I'm not rushing out to renew.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am
I wonder what it would take to pry Hufnagel out of Calgary to take over as President (dreaming I know)
It's always possible. How many here thought Buono would wound up in BC ?
Some don't have the opinion they once did of Braley but he ain't no F-Troop. Wally might still be in Calgary if not for those clowns. In the meantime Huf is also a senior citizen and only a year and a half younger than Wally. I don't know if he'd be interested in jumping ship from a pretty good gig this late in the game. He is the President of the Stamps. In title alone it would be a step down however in the grand scheme of things he is really the equivalent of Wally. I doubt Huf has much at all to do with business ops.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

On the other hand, sometimes a change in scenery can be desired. I could see Huff looking on it as a sort of a last hurrah. He has already accomplished about as much in Calgary as could be accomplished. Here, there is a chance to set a struggling franchise on the right path, layout a blueprint and then hand it off to some new up and comer.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

I don’t think Tillman would be on anyone’s radar but stranger things have happened.

I would be very much against his taking any role with the club. Simply because it would cast all the hard work done by the Lions with their “Don’t Be a Bystander” and related campaigns under a dim light and essentially tell the world they are insincere.

Even when you are team struggling on the field, you can maintain your integrity and personal reputation. In the end, sometimes that is all you are left with.
leo4life
All Star

Burhnam has said he wants Jones back as OC and he feels he is a 'Top Cordinater" in the CFL.Im not sure Chris Rainey,JJ24 and Chris Williams feel the same...would like to see Lapo as HC/OC and Noel Thorpe as DC but thats too much in Wallys World
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:19 pm
I don’t think Tillman would be on anyone’s radar but stranger things have happened.

I would be very much against his taking any role with the club. Simply because it would cast all the hard work done by the Lions with their “Don’t Be a Bystander” and related campaigns under a dim light and essentially tell the world they are insincere.
Yea, we might have to change the campaign to "Don't Be a Babysitter" if Tillman came on board. :tease:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MacNews
Team Captain

I haven't liked the "Don't be a bystander" campaign, because to me it insinuates that all Lions fans are thugs. This isn't the Raiders, folks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm
Burhnam has said he wants Jones back as OC and he feels he is a 'Top Cordinater" in the CFL.Im not sure Chris Rainey,JJ24 and Chris Williams feel the same...would like to see Lapo as HC/OC and Noel Thorpe as DC but thats too much in Wallys World
Did Burnham suffered a concussion ?