Lions ownership discussion thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:35 am

I think a lot of the criticism of CFL officiating reflects the attitude that the league is second rate. NFL and NCAA games have lots of questionable calls and replay reviews but viewers aren't as quick to heap scorn on the leagues when they question a call. The CFL central review process is much more sophisticated than the NFL process. The NFL is moving toward a CFL-style central command centre this year, with on-field officials being given tablets to consult with the command centre during reviews rather than looking under a hood on the sideline and making the call themselves.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

DanoT
Legend
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm
Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm
As per the comments on how much respect our league gets south of the border: I have really noticed it first hand with the two US free agent camps the club has sent us to cover, most recently in Dallas this past April.

Along with the talent on display, the stadium was full with curious onlookers, a couple former players, high school coaches, scouts etc. who all were there looking with a keen interest. "Football is football" was the vibe I got from a lot of those folks. That was really cool to see and I always think back to it when I hear people up here trash the CFL.
It sounds like the free agent camps get a better turnout than training camp. I've noticed a drop in attendance in Kamloops in recent years.
IMO there is a lot less fan appeal at CFL TCs these days. I have been to some Kamloops TCs in which all they did was calisthenics and drills but no actual football plays. Less hitting and less physical play is beneficial for the players, but less interesting for the fans.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm
IMO there is a lot less fan appeal at CFL TCs these days. I have been to some Kamloops TCs in which all they did was calisthenics and drills but no actual football plays. Less hitting and less physical play is beneficial for the players, but less interesting for the fans.
Yes, the first two days of camp in Kamloops this year involved nothing but walk-thrus. The only information I gleaned from that was who was taking first-team reps. The team didn't even issue a depth chart until Day 3. After that point, there's only one contact session per day, and any practice can be cancelled without notice. I was in the stands at 8:30 a.m. one day this year, only to find out that the coaches decided to have meetings only. It can be tough for a fan travelling from outside the Kamloops area with no guarantee of seeing much action.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

• Information