2016 season review and 2016/17 offseason

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionsfan65
Starter

Well, I guess today is officially the first day of our offseason, while it would have been nice to be cheering for the Lions in the Grey Cup next week, finishing the season with a 12-6 record, second place in the league and contending for a championship is pretty good and a lot better than many predicted this team to finish. All in all I would consider the 2016 season a success for the Lions regardless of the playoff loss.

Going forward this is a young, and talented team that could contend for a championship within the next few seasons. Once again I was quite pleased with this team. During this offseason I would like us to focus primarily on retaining our own free agents, especially Elimimian and Steward. I would not be too sad to see Sinkfield go, for all the hype around him he did not contribute a whole lot. We should also focus on the o line. I would eventually like to see us play 4 Canadians on the line with Steward bumping out to tackle.

On defence we should look to improve our d line. While Brooks was an absolute monster last season, he was almost invisible at times this season. In my opinion this was because he was playing out of his comfort zone, often playing the 1 tech position rather than a 3 tech, therefore getting double teamed more often. We should look for a big nose tackle type so we could move Brooks back to his 3 tech spot. Bazzie has played well on the end, however he only had 1 sac in the second part of the season. Our pass rush is something that needs to improve next season. Stewart has been our worst defensive back all season, often getting beaten and making Phillips look bad. Despite his age, I think Phillips does still have a couple of seasons left, however Stewart needs to go. Provided Yell, Lee and Clarke are healthy again next season somebody else could play that position. With Yell, Lee, Edem, Phillips and Clarke/Gaitor I think our secondary improves next year.

On specials Leone is likely to try the NFL, he is a fantastic punter. McCallum will likely retire again. I think we should look for somebody who can do all kicking duties.

Once again this season should be considered a success and something to build on for next year. :beer:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionsfan65 wrote:Well, I guess today is officially the first day of our offseason, while it would have been nice to be cheering for the Lions in the Grey Cup next week, finishing the season with a 12-6 record, second place in the league and contending for a championship is pretty good and a lot better than many predicted this team to finish. All in all I would consider the 2016 season a success for the Lions regardless of the playoff loss.

Going forward this is a young, and talented team that could contend for a championship within the next few seasons. Once again I was quite pleased with this team. During this offseason I would like us to focus primarily on retaining our own free agents, especially Elimimian and Steward. I would not be too sad to see Sinkfield go, for all the hype around him he did not contribute a whole lot. We should also focus on the o line. I would eventually like to see us play 4 Canadians on the line with Steward bumping out to tackle.

On defence we should look to improve our d line. While Brooks was an absolute monster last season, he was almost invisible at times this season. In my opinion this was because he was playing out of his comfort zone, often playing the 1 tech position rather than a 3 tech, therefore getting double teamed more often. We should look for a big nose tackle type so we could move Brooks back to his 3 tech spot. Bazzie has played well on the end, however he only had 1 sac in the second part of the season. Our pass rush is something that needs to improve next season. Stewart has been our worst defensive back all season, often getting beaten and making Phillips look bad. Despite his age, I think Phillips does still have a couple of seasons left, however Stewart needs to go. Provided Yell, Lee and Clarke are healthy again next season somebody else could play that position. With Yell, Lee, Edem, Phillips and Clarke/Gaitor I think our secondary improves next year.

On specials Leone is likely to try the NFL, he is a fantastic punter. McCallum will likely retire again. I think we should look for somebody who can do all kicking duties.

Once again this season should be considered a success and something to build on for next year. :beer:
Well said. I was disappointed in the play of Stewart and Phillips this year. The lack of interceptions from the secondary is a clear sign that they were too passive, either by scheme or by skill or both.

Purifoy will likely need to be replaced at nickelback. The answer may lie with Steven Clarke or another of this year's injured DBs but will most likely require a new player with the size and speed of an NFL safety.

The defensive line was a disappointment overall. A true 300-pound-plus nose tackle would be an asset. Bazzie was again the best pass rusher but he was increasingly used in pass coverage this year, which limited his opportunities to get after the QB.

Aside from the kicking game, there are no other weaknesses on this team.

The key on offence will be to retain free agents. Steward had a great year at left guard and proved that he can stay healthy for a full season, which had been the biggest problem limiting his development in past years. The Lions have enough talent to play four nationals on the O-line.

I'd love to retain Sinkfield if possible. His speed and skills are hard to replace. He had too many drive-killing drops this year but I hope that was a function of him trying to absorb the offence. I'd like to see and the coaching staff what he can do with a full offseason and training camp to devise ways to get the ball into his hands. Adekolu showed again that he has the hands and skill to deserve more reps on offence.

Rainey and Johnson showed they can be a great one-two punch in the backfield. I like Anthony Allen but he's clearly the third international back on the depth chart. I don't know if there's enough incentive for the team or him to want to come back next year. Shaq Murray-Lawrence has had lots of opportunities to show his speeed but played himself off the game-day roster. There may be no place for him to go.

Lulay showed that he can still be a great No. 2 quarterback while mentoring and supporting Jennings. With another year of development and a first-class arsenal of receivers at his disposal, the future is bright for Jennings and this offence.
aklawitter
All Star

Chap was fired because Wally couldn't sell him to the fans for another season. Is MW and KJ's time also up?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lionsfan65 wrote:Well, I guess today is officially the first day of our offseason, while it would have been nice to be cheering for the Lions in the Grey Cup next week, finishing the season with a 12-6 record
I say you have to include the playoff games in the overall record. I say they were 13-7 this season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Matt Baker of bclions.com, runing backs Jermeniah Johnson and Anthony Allen and defensive backs Ronnie Yell and Steven Clarke are among the Lions' pending free agents. Johnson and Allen both say they want to return next year.
Johnson and fellow tailback Anthony Allen are among the list of pending free agents for Wally Buono and company to consider keeping over the next couple of months. The two-headed monster approach paid dividends as the Lions led the CFL in total rushing yards. Perhaps the most impressive part of it was the fact both players embraced it and didn’t mind if it meant sitting out a couple of games at a time. Johnson and Allen insist priority number one is to stay in the den and use the same formula in 2017.

“Most definitely, man, “Johnson said. “I want to finish my career here. The way this team is going, I most definitely do not want to miss that. I’m just blessed at what the great minds up there (front office) were thinking and I think Anthony and I both really cherished and loved the idea ”

“We’re salt and pepper, you know what I’m saying? We taste good when you put both of us on there,” Allen said. “Hopefully we can come back next year the same 1-2 punch.

We wanted to create a culture here. We said to ourselves that we’d set the tempo every day by how we practiced. There’s a lot of camaraderie here. There’s a lot of brotherhood here where we’re not just teammates and co-workers, we’re actually brothers.”
bclions.com article

The unofficial list of pending free agents identified so far includes:

Anthony Allen, RB
Steven Clarke, DB
Solomon Elimimian, LB
Jeremiah Johnson, RB
Richie Leone K/P
Loucheiz Purifoy, LB
Ronnie Yell, DB
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions top priority during this off season is to resign most of their pending free agents. We need to bolster our defensive line. Couple of stud tackles and a legitimate rush end would be nice.
old hyack
prospect

I am hoping for a new, strong, ownership group. This team and it's history deserves to have 10,000 more bums in the seats. That extra revenue that our competition in the west is getting just makes it easier to get better players and coaches and to keep them. Vancouver is an expensive place to be a transient football player. The team needs a more agressive ownership that will really hit a chord with Lower Mainlanders. I know there is a salary cap, but if you think for one minute Sask. and Calgary dont throw some extras around for their guys well... Anyway here's hoping.
maxlion
Legend

aklawitter wrote:Chap was fired because Wally couldn't sell him to the fans for another season. Is MW and KJ's time also up?
This is a tough call. When you look at what the offense did over the year with a rookie QB, at least up to the final game, Jones probably has earned another shot. Though I'm not at all sure that it was Jones helping to make Jennings look good and not the other way around.

The defense has been up and down throughout Washington's tenure, and has been terrible when it counted three years in a row now. Injuries to the DBs hurt though. Washington seems from the outside to have the respect of the players. I'd say it's 50/50 that he'll be back.

Coming back for another year with Wally, Jones and Washington will be a tough sell, though they are all quite capable professionals. Last year the perception was that Milanovich and Chris Jones could do no wrong, but they ended up finishing tied for last place, while Wally just kept winning.

Also a tough call on Lulay. At this stage, he's a below average backup making as much as the starter. We could use that $ elsewhere in the lineup. Best case scenario is that he becomes the QB coach, but why would he want to give up the money? And could he go on to become a superstar coach like Dickenson? Is it worth being patient for, and perhaps making your team weaker in the shorter term in order to keep him here for the long term?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Excellent read here as LU covers today's locker room clean-up and looks at the list of free agents. Wally has some tough decisions.

Really want to see Burnham, Steward, Johnson and, of course, Solly back. I would think Lokombo looks for a better opportunity elsewhere after following out of favour of Washington as the season progressed. Sure hope that doesn't come back to haunt them. Same could be said of Parker too.

The only thing LU left off was club president. Dennis Skulsky resigned back in April only to agree to stay on because of David Braley's health concerns at the time. So where does that stand now? Given the team's status in the marketplace and attendance this past season, this is a significant position moving forward.

It used to be so much simpler for Wally Buono. A season would end, the coach and general manager of the B.C. Lions would try to maintain his coaching staff and keep as many players with expiring contracts as possible.
Free agency?
That’s for everyone else, he’d say. “Why should I overspend for a player who may or may not help us? We’ll find our own.” was his mantra. But that changed hours after the Lions realized how much work lies ahead to catch the Calgary Stampeders, and, as one of only three presently with total operational control of a CFL franchise as coach/GM, the daunting challenge of present-day free agency.
Changes to the most-recent collective bargaining agreement with the CFLPA has meant players with prior CFL experience are no longer subjected to an option-year clause and has completely altered the league landscape.
Buono kept with the changing program last winter, signing four players who became instant starters, plus a handful of backups, and through a restored work ethic became competitive again.
This year, however, represents a greater challenge, if not Buono’s greatest of all then certainly his largest.
No fewer than 24 players are eligible to become free agents in early February, though that includes those heading or returning to retirement, which has the capacity of stripping many key players from the nucleus of the Lions.

Here’s the list:
Offence – Anthony Allen, Bryan Burnham, Marco Iannuzzi, Jeremiah Johnson, Rolly Lumbala, Nick Moore, Tim O’Neill, Terrell Sinkfield, Hunter Steward,
Defence – Alex Bazzie, Mich’ael Brooks, Solomon Elimimian, T.J. Lee, Bo Lokombo, Keynan Parker, Craig Roh, Bryant Turner, Jabar Westerman, Ronnie Yell
Special teams – Mike Benson, Adrian Clarke, Neheme Kankolongo, Richie Leone, Paul McCallum

Decipher the message in the final weekly chat with Buono on 3DownRadio, which began with the obvious free agent priority, pending two-time outstanding defensive player Solomon Elimimian, and you might determine his direction this winter.
“I did visit with Solomon; we want to wish him the best (at the CFL Awards). Last year we made a substantial commitment prior to knowing whether he would be able to play (after Achilles surgery). I believe he thinks this is home. You want to take care of players who help you win and Solomon is one of those players,” Buono said.
“(Free agency) isn’t unique to the CFL but it’s in all pro sports. Free agency rewards some and punishes others. We have a lot of good young players at the low end of the salary structure.” Translated, that suggests Buono will make Elimimian an offer, but won’t break the bank either with so much to do.
A 13-7 record doesn’t mean the Lions are without needs. The good news is that they have two quarterbacks under contract, an established offensive line and other key components. Buono also doesn’t have waste time at Grey Cup week wondering whether to unload Jeff Tedford like last year. The only time to be wasted will be answering that he indeed will be back.
Here’s some of the questions and issues facing the Lions on and off the field during the off-season
Defence: Surrender 524 yards to a superior team in the West Division final Sunday and being rated tops overall without the ball becomes somewhat meaningless. That’s the dicey issue for the Lions, who have no fewer than seven defensive starters as potential free agents.
There’s zero debate as to whether to try and sign Solomon Elimimian, but with all four starters on the defensive line plus Canadian Jabar Westerman potentially free, the Lions can effect a complete remake. The Lions have to decide if George Uko is a better option than Mich’ael Brooks or Bryant Turner. B.C. also desperately needs a rush end that can dominate.
The secondary has promise, but Buono will also have to re-sign his two short-side defenders, injured Ronnie Yell and T.J. Lee, so they can contemplate moving Chandler Fenner and Anthony Gaitor. Then there’s a potential Canadian pairing of Keynan Parker and Anthony Thompson. It all might mean a glorious run by Ryan Phillips will come to an end.
Offence: The tailback tandem of Jeremiah Johnson and Anthony Allen worked, but both are potential free agents and might not work with a less-willing pair. Bryan Burnham dazzled in the regular season but fizzled in the playoffs. If he leaves, do the Lions make yet another stab with Nick Moore if he’s healthy? The offensive line had a solid year, but the Lions could get to four Canadian starters by moving free agent Hunter Steward to tackle and pairing him with Charles Vaillancourt.
Special teams: Richie Leone turned into a terrific punter but couldn’t cut it kicking field goals and the kicking roster was no different at the end than it was in training camp at the start of last season. The Lions may have to finally realize no player can handle all three kicking chores and spend a second roster spot next season.
Coaching: Offensive coordinator Khari Jones made strides but Buono believes he also benefitted from the experience of receivers coach Marcel Bellefeuille, making retaining that duo important. Trumping that requirement, however, is to re-sign special teams coordinator Marcello Simmons.
General manager: Next year will be Buono’s last in the CFL and so additional signs the Lions are ready for his retirement must be considered. Personnel director Neil McEvoy already handles much of Buono’s work at present. CIS scouting director Geroy Simon needs to write more contracts next year to aid his development towards potentially becoming the next Lions senior executive.
Ownership: David Braley’s health and absentee status has reached a point where critics are openly suggesting he should no longer wait for his price and sell, which he said he would do prior to his 75th birthday last May.
The time is right. TV revenue is in place and Buono, the franchise’s second-biggest asset, won’t be around forever either. Three local groups have been reportedly short-listed as buyers, and if you were rank the issues finding the right fit remains right at the top, just ahead of who they choose to keep and play for them next year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Here’s the list:
Offence – Anthony Allen, Bryan Burnham, Marco Iannuzzi, Jeremiah Johnson, Rolly Lumbala, Nick Moore, Tim O’Neill, Terrell Sinkfield, Hunter Steward,
Defence – Alex Bazzie, Mich’ael Brooks, Solomon Elimimian, T.J. Lee, Bo Lokombo, Keynan Parker, Craig Roh, Bryant Turner, Jabar Westerman, Ronnie Yell
Special teams – Mike Benson, Adrian Clarke, Neheme Kankolongo, Richie Leone, Paul McCallum

On offence I would resign Burnham, Johnson, Lumbala, Sinkfield and Steward

Defence: Resign Bazzie, Brooks, SolE. Lee, Lokombo, Parker, Turner, Westerman and Yell

Special Teams: Benson, Clarke,
David
Team Captain

Wally said the team was "right up against the cap" this year, but who were our big ticket items?

Solly made $200K in 2016 per NEWS1130, Jennings was only at $150K, and I believe Travis was around $175K. The others that I would expect to be on the high side are Emmanuel Arceneaux (signed a 2-year contract last year for $425K), Olafioye, RP, and Biggie. But we don't have anyone making in the $400-$500K range like some other teams with their marquee quarterbacks (i.e. Edmonton and Mike Reilly).

Also, how did it get to the point where we allowed ourselves the onerous task of dealing with 24 free agent contracts? Could we not have re-upped some of these guys during the season and signed them to extensions?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:Wally said the team was "right up against the cap" this year, but who were our big ticket items?

Solly made $200K in 2016 per NEWS1130, Jennings was only at $150K, and I believe Travis was around $175K. The others that I would expect to be on the high side are Emmanuel Arceneaux (signed a 2-year contract last year for $425K), Olafioye, RP, and Biggie. But we don't have anyone making in the $400-$500K range like some other teams with their marquee quarterbacks (i.e. Edmonton and Mike Reilly).

Also, how did it get to the point where we allowed ourselves the onerous task of dealing with 24 free agent contracts? Could we not have re-upped some of these guys during the season and signed them to extensions?

I just discovered a site called LoonieCap that details player contracts and the overall status of team cap space. I have no idea what the reputation of the site is but according to what they post, the Lions have just over a million in cap space. They are somewhat up to date as they list Drew Willy as an Argo but don't list Henoc Muamba as a Roughrider.

As for the 24, welcome to the era of the one year contract.
aklawitter
All Star

I wouldn't be shocked if Olafioye gets the cut. Lulay will need to renegotiate as it is very clear that Jennings is the undisputed starter.

Sol will be the big question mark. He says he wants to be here but... the money is going to be HUGE elsewhere. He took a "show me" paycut this year. Bighill can step back in without missing a beat.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Here’s the list:

On offence I would resign Burnham, Johnson, Lumbala, Sinkfield and Steward

Defence: Resign Bazzie, Brooks, SolE. Lee, Lokombo, Parker, Turner, Westerman and Yell

Special Teams: Benson, Clarke,
The players I would like to see re-signed....Burnham, Johnson, Lumbala, Steward, Brooks, Elimimian, Lee, Lokombo, Parker, Yell and Leone. And Westermann...
And let's hope Wally keeps a diligent eye on the Rider's PR; perhaps a player or two could be plucked from there. :tease:
David
Team Captain

aklawitter wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if Olafioye gets the cut. Lulay will need to renegotiate as it is very clear that Jennings is the undisputed starter.

Sol will be the big question mark. He says he wants to be here but... the money is going to be HUGE elsewhere. He took a "show me" paycut this year. Bighill can step back in without missing a beat.
He might not have missed a beat, but he sure missed a lot of tackles down the stretch.

And why on earth would they cut Olafioye?? I could see the Leos moving to 4 Nationals, but not 5. He's they're best O-lineman and a quarterback life-saver at left tackle IMO.

Roar, You Lions, Roar