Leos Prepare to Play Stamps in West Final

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

WILL THE MANNY SHOW GIVE US ANOTHER ENCORE

Manny may or may not play. Its going to be a Sunday decision and Buono has informed the league of such. Manny is concussion free but his ankle is still iffy.

Our Leos are taking McNeil on the trip to Calgary.
Confidence isn’t an issue when Arceneaux’s in the lineup.

“If I have to hop around I might as well not play,” said Arceneaux. “My thing was to get as healthy as possible and move the way I needed to move to play my kind of football.

“Every day has been better. If y’all would have seen my ankle two days ago you’d say this man is a fool to even consider playing … I’m just blessed.”
If I'm a guessing man, Manny won't play. Buono and Company are just trying to keep the Stamps guessing. But who knows for sure.

We’re going to do what we have to do,” Buono said after Friday’s practice. “We’ve notified the league of where we’re at. I’d rather be playing the Calgary Stampeders with Manny, but if an injury occurs, the show goes on.”

Buono was asked to handicap Arceneaux’s chances of playing

“I don’t gamble and I don’t play the horses so I don’t know how to handicap,” he said.

JEREMIAH SAYS JENNINGS CAN BEAT YOU IN SO MANY WAYS

Jonathan Jennings showed last Sunday that he can beat a team with short throws. With Manny out of the lineup for a good chunk of the second half of the game, our Leos used shorter routes and with great success, with two fourth quarter touchdowns.

Jonathan Jennings is not just a long ball and deep intermediate throw quarterback. He completed his last 11 passes with more possession type throws.

What Khari gives Jennings, Jennings will 'execute'. The big question is what will Khari Jones/Buono give Jennings in terms of scheme and plays on Sunday.

Jennings has also used his feet in recent games. When defenses play Man/Cover 2, it opens up the outside run. How our Leos 'brain trust takes advantage of that, or not, will be one key to the game on Sunday.
Jennings can beat you in many ways. On Sunday, it was with short throws and the escapability of a contortionist and cat burglar’s feet, scoring the winning touchdown on a nine-yard run after the Blue Bombers had exhausted all known methods of burying him in the pocket. He pulled the ball down, faked out Loffler in the open field, then vaulted cornerback Terrence Frederick to reach the end zone.

“Jennings is not your standard drop-back quarterback,” Johnson says. “Most quarterbacks don’t have the mindset ‘I’m going to run through you to get this.’ You want to leave defenses second-guessing their first decisions. That gets them off their rhythms. Ed Willes.
SEE JEREMIAH RUN

One of the key plays last Sunday in the West Semi-Final was a 40 yard touchdown run by Jeremiah Johnson, with 1:35 to go in the first half, bringing the score back to 25-12. Without that run or a touchdown drive before half time, we likely would not have been able to mount our comeback.

A very important aspect of our Leos recent victories has been that our running attack. When we have a balanced offence, its just so much more dangerous.
Johnson has rushed for more than 100 yards in three of his past four games — all Lions victories. His recent run began with four rushes of 10 yards or more, 108 yards in total, Oct. 22 against Edmonton. A week later, he had 101 yards rushing against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Johnson took a backseat to Chris Rainey in the Lions’ regular-season finale, a 41-18 drubbing of the hapless Riders. The Rain Man picked up 89 yards nine carries in the game that secured second place for the Lions.

But back Johnson came last Sunday, with 110 yards on just 10 carries against the Blue Bombers. He might have been the man of the match had not quarterback Jonathon Jennings rushed for two more scores in the second half, when Jennings was doing as much damage with his legs as his right arm.

If Johnson seems too good to be true on the field these days, he is that way in everyday life, his savviness as a runner and his humility as a person being his defining characteristics.
THE 'RAIN MAN BRINGS LIGHTING AND THUNDER TOO

When Wally Buono returned to the sidelines this season, he did so with some exceptional players to coach. Of course, we all know that one of those exceptional players has been Jonathan Jennings, who over the past 13 games has outplayed Bo Levi Mitchell, in terms of quarterback efficiency by 20 points.

But Jonathan Jennings is not the only exceptional player that has enabled Buono to fatten his career victory stats. Chris Rainey has been other worldly too.

Chris Rainey is lighting fast. He can cut on a dime. He can juke defenders out of their cleats on a punt or kick return. He can make clutch receptions out of the backfield, as he did twice last Sunday on our game winning drive. He can hit a seam narrower than a telephone pole and be into the second layer in the blink of an eye. Rainey's speed is like a Mig 25, when he turns on the jets.

But what is often missed is how tough an inside runner Chris Rainey is. He gets tough yards, He fights for extra yards. Rainey is deceptiivly tough. He makes Jeremiah Johnson better. Rainey lobbied Buono hard for offensive reps this season and got them. Then he lobbied for more offensive reps and got them.

Rainey makes Jeremiah Johnson better. Rainey makes our offence so much better. We need to get Rainey outside with a quick pitch as well as run him inside against Calgary. We also need to use Rainey as a decoy at times, for a quarterback draw, a fullback screen, or to open up another receiver.

What we should not do is throw the quick swing pass to Rainey. Its better to delay him out of the backfield, if its a swing pass, and let our receivers take their man defenders downfield first, to open up space.
As the dangerously fast and deceptive Rainey has been incorporated more into the Lions offensive scheme, Johnson’s rushing totals have begun to soar. He’s not unappreciative of what Rainey has done to make him better.

“Chris has tremendous athletic ability,” Jeremiah Johnson says. He just gets me amped up.”

A genie in a half-pint jar, Rainey is 170 pounds of spritely all-rounder who seeks a heavier load. Poison to the Stampeders as a returner — he has four return touchdowns against Calgary in the past two seasons, totalling 373 yards in elapsed distance — he is calling for more touches as a rusher and receiver.

“They’ve got to empty the tank with me,” Rainey says. “You got to. It’s win or go home. I don’t care if I stagger to the finish line. I’m just trying to help us win.”
THE MENARD BRYANT TURNER JUNIOR FACTOR

David Menard is one of my favorite Leo players. For most of this season he languished on the bench while we used Darius Allen as a rotational defensive end and parked Bryant Turner Jr. Not the way I thought we should be doing things on our defensive line. Two key factors in our winning streak has been the play of Bryant Turner Jr. and David Menard.
Bryant Turner Jr. has elevated our interior defensive line play. He's made Mich'ael Brooks better. He gives us a very good defensive tackle rotation, with Westerman and Brooks. We've used more four man rushes in recent weeks and cut down on our three man rushes.
In order to line up both Turner and Brooks, at times, at defensive tackle, its meant that we needed to play a National at defensive end when our two National defensive tackles are on the field. Enter David Menard. Menard has a motor. He brings intensity to each rush. He's made Craig Roh better too because Roh is fresher.

It will be difficult to sack Bo Levi Mitchell. Defenses only averaged around one sack per game on Bo Levi this season. Calgary's offensive line is that good. Bo Levi Mitchell is very good at sliding in the pocket or going with a semi-roll. The Calgary offence has one or two players on every play that are 'hot' so Mitchell can get the football out of his hands quickly.

But we need to pressure Bo Levi and make him throw earlier or go to a receiver who was not his first choice. We may or may not be able to do that on Sunday. But if we are able to, it will be due to putting our best defensive lineup on the field. We waited for most of this season before doing that. Thankfully we have recently.

Turner and Menard, rotating in with Bazzie, Brooks, Westerman, and Roh, give us the best chance to hold down Messam and get better pressure on Bo Lev. This defensive line lineup also enables our Leos linebackers to make more plays because we get better defensive line penetration.

A real key to playing defense against the Stamps is interior line penetration and pressure. The Stamps, remarkably, have the CFL's best offensive line and yet this position group has been ravaged by injuries all season, using 10 different starters.
The Stamps are mind blowing huge on their offensive line, as well as talented. Their guards Spencer Wilson is 331 pounds and . For this game, they have Shane Bergman (347lbs. and West All-Star Spencer Wilson (331 lbs) at guard. At offensive tackle they have West All-Star tackle Derek Dennis 341 lbs. and Dan Federkeil (320 lbs). These guys are MASSIVE.
But there may be an area on the Stamps offensive line that we can take advantage of.
But the Stamps starting center Pierre Lavertu will not play - instead former Leo Cam Thorn (305 lbs) will start at center for the Stamps. It might be a spot that we can exploit and we should attempt to.

DEVARIS DANIELS CAN MEAN DESTRUCTION

Our receiving crew (if Manny is in our starting lineup) has been rated above the Stamps receiving crew in most write-ups for this game. Reasons for ranking our receiving crew higher than the Stamps positional group have included 1) Manny and Burham's CFL third and fourth place finish in receiving yards, the solid play of Shawn Gore, and the threat of Sinkfield, plus Chris Rainey out of the backfield and 2) only the Stamps Marques McDaniel finished in the Top 10 in CFL receiving.

But that is deceiving. The Stamps spread the ball around more than any other CFL team, spreading the wealth to McDaniel, Parker, Daniels, Grant, and Jorden. They use Charbonnneau, Durant, and Cote in 'packages' and throw to them also.

If there are two keys to a win against the Stamps its making sure that Davaris Daniels and Jerome Messam don't do too much damage in the Stamps passing attack. Davaris Daniels only started 11 games for the Stamps, as a rookie, replacing Joe West. Yet he had 885 yards of receiving, was the Stamps second leading receiver, and had an 17.4 yards per catch average. He has the speed to beat a defence deep and often has.
To put Daniel's season in perspective, had he played a whole season, he would have finished with 1155 yds. in receptions, making him the Stamps best receiver. He needs to be contained.
Jerome Messam had 54 receptions for the Stamps this season. They just don't swing him out of the backfield. They send him on patterns downfield. Paying special attention to Daniel's and Messam is a key to stopping the Stamps offence.

PURE PASSIONATE PURIFOY

Sol E. and Biggie soak up most of the media attention on our defense. Team 100 made a ton of tackles this season. They fly from sideline to sideline. They scrape and charge into tailbacks. They blitz inside and sack opposing quarterbacks. That commands both respect and attention.
But we probably wouldn’t be in the West Final, playing Calary without Loucheiz Purifoy. Purifoy's diving tackle that tripped up Ryan Smith, when the receiver appeared headed to a touchdown, was a total hustle play that may likely saved the season. The nickel back also had two key pass knock-downs in the 32-31 semifinal win over Winnipeg.
Biggie gets addional special attention because we've often used him as a two deep or three deep safety, as well as a linebacker. Most of the time, using Bighill as a deep safety has been a waste of time. It fools no one, as Biggie starts racing back from his linebacker position twenty - twenty five yards deeper. Sometimes it makes our defense either look paranoid. Most often Biggie covers no one and ends up looking around at a lot of space. He also is not a good deep cover guy, nor should he be.

Using Biggie as a deep safety should be done rarely. If we need a two deep safety, Thompson, Fraser, or Parker are better options for that type of defense, when we want to use it.

Another good thing lately has been to get back to some common sense, in terms of utilizing Bo Lokombo in defensive packages. He's 230 pounds of chiseled muscle and he's incredibly fast and athletic. Using Lokombo, as well as Purifoy on an occasional blitz in this game would be wise. We just can't use the A/B gap Sol E. and Biggie blitz.

The play of Purifoy and Lokombo (if we insert him) that could prove to be key factors in this contest.

OUR LEOS TAKE AND THEY GIVETH AWAY

Our Leos have taken away the hope of victory for a number of teams recently. But when we play the Stamps, we're going to be looking at a number of ex-Leo players that we didn't want but Calgary did.

The first is backup center Cam Thorn, already mentioned, who will start this game for the Stamps. The Stamps also have ex-Leo Josh Bell as their starting safety, ex-Leo Glenn Love as a starting linebacker, Cedric Minter as a defensive tackle. Stamps 230 pound National receiver Lamer Durrant also hoped to be drafted by our Leos but we chose Ese Mrabure-Ajufo and Brett Boyko over him instead.

SHADES OF RITCHIE, FLUTIE, AND THE '94 MIRACLE UPSET

Our Leos are underdogs for this game, as we were when we played the Stamps in the WDF '94. In that game, we were 14 point underdogs. Darren Flutie caught his third touchdown of the game, besting his brother Doug Flutie, who was quarterbacking the Stamps. With 12 seconds left, our Leos on the Calgary 5 yard line, Daren Flutie came down with the football against double coverage, we won the game 37-36, and the rest is history.
Ritchie cried after the win, as he hugged Darren Flutie.

At heart Dave Ritchie was a gentle soul, with a very smart football brain. (Kent Spencer)

No question that Ritchie didn't usually get outcoached. In fact he outcoached the opposition most of the time.

I really don't believe we should be big underdogs in this game. Yes the Stamps won 3 more games this season but really, with a decent field goal kicker or a few less turnovers at critical times, our Leos could easily have finished this season 16-2. The only games we got outplayed was the third game against Calgary and the Toronto game in Vancouver.

I believe, overall, we are more talented than Calgary and if not, its at least close. We have more playmakers on offence, with Jennings, Manny, Burnham, and Rainey. We have a return man in Rainey that the Stamps can't match. Defensively, its close also. Both defensive lines match up, we've got the edge at linebacker while the Stamps ge the edge in their defensive secondary.

Where the Stamps have the edge on us is coaching, in terms of strategy.

If we can match the Stamps in that area for this game, I believe we'll win.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote: Of course Wally is saying once again, its all about 'execution'. It sets up the scenario that if our players don't 'execute' then we don't win. If they 'execute' the game plan then we will win. Its all on the players.
Dave Dickenson said the same thing.
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/footbal ... e-in-lions
And with the two teams so well-acquainted with each other, Dickenson said it will come down to individual execution.

“A lot of times in the playoffs, it comes down to one-on-one battles,” the rookie sideline stomper said. “Are you better than the guy across from you? That’s usually the tell-tale sign in who wins and loses.

“And sometimes it’s the weather and if you can execute at a high level. It sounds like things will be fine for the game.

“So it’s time to line up from the guy across from you and see who’s better.”
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This game will come down to the ability of B.C.'s defence to stop Calgary's passing attack. The Stamps have an arsenal of pass-catching weapons, and the Lions can't focus on just one or two of them. They've activated slotback Bakari Grant from the six-game injured list, and will use him along with his replacement Kamar Jorden, opposite slot Marquay McDaniel and wideouts DaVaris Daniels and Anthony Thompson. Jerome Messam is also a big part of Calgary's passing game. Bo Levi Mitchell will spread the ball around to whoever is open. The Lions have to play much tighter coverage in the short zones. If Mitchell catches the linebackers cheating toward the line of scrimmage or blitzing, he will make them pay. The Lions will need to generate pressure from their front four to force Mitchell to release the ball.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO Stamps have the best D line in the CFL so I am a bit concerned that they will take advantage of the weak link in the Lions O line, Antonio Johnson on passing plays and also the Stamps could be difficult to run against.

The Stamps O line is the best or one of the best in the CFL making pressuring Bo a difficult task.

If games are won and lost based on line of scrimmage play, then I am not liking the Lions chances. The Lions might be capable of rising to the occasion and Jennings could be the X factor difference, but I am not betting on it.

Also when I look at coaching match ups: Dickenson vs. Washington and K. Jones vs. Claybrooks, Lions could out coach the Stamps, I'm just not real confident that it will happen.

Overall, I'm :cr:
BC 1988
Legend

Thanks for the great overview, Blitz. Gives me lots more to pay attention to tomorrow. It's really something how many ex-Lions are playing for CGY. This is an interesting look at how Josh Bell feels about facing his former team (and how boring it has been for them waiting to play a game the past 3 weeks).
http://www.stampeders.com/2016/11/15/su ... -for-bell/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:This game will come down to the ability of B.C.'s defence to stop Calgary's passing attack. The Stamps have an arsenal of pass-catching weapons, and the Lions can't focus on just one or two of them. They've activated slotback Bakari Grant from the six-game injured list, and will use him along with his replacement Kamar Jorden, opposite slot Marquay McDaniel and wideouts DaVaris Daniels and Anthony Thompson. Jerome Messam is also a big part of Calgary's passing game. Bo Levi Mitchell will spread the ball around to whoever is open. The Lions have to play much tighter coverage in the short zones. If Mitchell catches the linebackers cheating toward the line of scrimmage or blitzing, he will make them pay. The Lions will need to generate pressure from their front four to force Mitchell to release the ball.
Completely agree B.C. FAN. TBH our secondary scares the crap out of me. Fenner and Gaitor had a rough Western Semi-Final but LU suggested yesterday he thinks the Stamps will go after the old guys on the field side with Stewart and Phillips. Stewart is going to have to elevate his game considerably from where its been in recent weeks.

How much pressure can our front 4 generate without blitzing our linebackers? The more time Mitchell has the tougher the task will be for a shaky secondary. I guess even getting this far with season-ending injuries to three starting DBs is an accomplishment in itself.

Think we will have to generate at the very least 30 points to win.
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:
prj wrote:Congratulations and thanks for a very nice review of the major items to be watching on Sunday.

The only idea I can add is to ask which team responds more effectively to cold weather?

Either way, win or lose, this has been a great season, ably supported by this Board.

Nice job guys!

Thanks.
Fully agree, I doubt there's another CFL board with as much in-depth analysis as this one. (I'm just a fan, never played or studied the game).

If the Lions can somehow pull it off on Sunday (a tall order) their chances would be very good in the GC. I'd be satisfied if they can at least have a respectable showing, wipe out the memory of their worst loss of this season vs CGY (and last year's 35-9 playoff loss as well.)

And the playoff blow out the year before that in Montreal....and the depressing loss to the Roughriders the year before that.
In my mind, the losses before last season's playoff defeat to CGY are a different era--before JJ10 completely changed our prospects. They belong to the time after TL14 was ragdolled into the wall that fateful night in October 2012 at Ivor Wynne. We didn't realize it at the time, but that was the beginning of a drifting period of bad decisions--letting Mike Reilly go, having to rely on Thomas DeMarco (who incidentally has just been signed as insurance by EDM due to Reilly's shoulder injury) , John Beck (who never was), and career backup Kevin Glenn.
maxlion
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:This game will come down to the ability of B.C.'s defence to stop Calgary's passing attack. The Stamps have an arsenal of pass-catching weapons, and the Lions can't focus on just one or two of them. They've activated slotback Bakari Grant from the six-game injured list, and will use him along with his replacement Kamar Jorden, opposite slot Marquay McDaniel and wideouts DaVaris Daniels and Anthony Thompson. Jerome Messam is also a big part of Calgary's passing game. Bo Levi Mitchell will spread the ball around to whoever is open. The Lions have to play much tighter coverage in the short zones. If Mitchell catches the linebackers cheating toward the line of scrimmage or blitzing, he will make them pay. The Lions will need to generate pressure from their front four to force Mitchell to release the ball.
Completely agree B.C. FAN. TBH our secondary scares the crap out of me. Fenner and Gaitor had a rough Western Semi-Final but LU suggested yesterday he thinks the Stamps will go after the old guys on the field side with Stewart and Phillips. Stewart is going to have to elevate his game considerably from where its been in recent weeks.

How much pressure can our front 4 generate without blitzing our linebackers? The more time Mitchell has the tougher the task will be for a shaky secondary. I guess even getting this far with season-ending injuries to three starting DBs is an accomplishment in itself.

Think we will have to generate at the very least 30 points to win.
I agree Sammy. Stewart was not signed to be a leader, just to shore up a weak area. He's not that good, and if not for all of the injuries, I bet he would have been supplanted by Clarke or someone else by now. Phillips at this point brings leadership more than great ball hawking skills. It's not fair to Fenner and Gaitor, but they are the best chance we have. It makes it tough on Washington to be agressive when our best 3 dbs are replaced by rookies and/or average vets. Washington gets a lot of criticism around here, but he's managed to hold things kind of together at least.

It seems that in Leoland, the perception is that Lions players succeed in spite of their coaching, while other teams' players succeed because of coaching. I wonder how accurate that perception is given that we have the winningest coach in the history of the league.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:It seems that in Leoland, the perception is that Lions players succeed in spite of their coaching, while other teams' players succeed because of coaching. I wonder how accurate that perception is given that we have the winningest coach in the history of the league.
Yes, as fans we tend to be hard on our coaching staff. Wally turned a dysfunctional seven-win Lions team that hadn't won a playoff game in four years into a 12-win Grey Cup contender this year yet the West nominee for coach of the year is Dave Dickenson, who turned a 14-win Stampeders team from last year into a 15-win team this year.

Mark Washington is criticized for his passive zones yet the B.C. defence gave up the fewest yards and first downs in the league this year, while adjusting for season-ending injuries to three DBs.

Khari Jones was criticized for his offensive schemes this year yet the Lions have one of the the most exciting, high scoring teams in recent history with some of the brightest offensive stars in the league.

Dan Dorazio is criticized for his coaching methods and cerebral approach to offensive line play yet the Lions had new starters at all five offensive line positions this year and led the league in rushing while giving up the third fewest sacks.

Win or lose on Sunday, this has been an exciting year of high-calibre Lions football and a lot of the credit has to go to Wally and the coaching staff for leading the turnaround.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
maxlion wrote:It seems that in Leoland, the perception is that Lions players succeed in spite of their coaching, while other teams' players succeed because of coaching. I wonder how accurate that perception is given that we have the winningest coach in the history of the league.
Yes, as fans we tend to be hard on our coaching staff. Wally turned a dysfunctional seven-win Lions team that hadn't won a playoff game in four years into a 12-win Grey Cup contender this year yet the West nominee for coach of the year is Dave Dickenson, who turned a 14-win Stampeders team from last year into a 15-win team this year.

Mark Washington is criticized for his passive zones yet the B.C. defence gave up the fewest yards and first downs in the league this year, while adjusting for season-ending injuries to three DBs.

Khari Jones was criticized for his offensive schemes this year yet the Lions have one of the the most exciting, high scoring teams in recent history with some of the brightest offensive stars in the league.

Dan Dorazio is criticized for his coaching methods and cerebral approach to offensive line play yet the Lions had new starters at all five offensive line positions this year and led the league in rushing while giving up the third fewest sacks.

Win or lose on Sunday, this has been an exciting year of high-calibre Lions football and a lot of the credit has to go to Wally and the coaching staff for leading the turnaround.
Well said B.C.Fan
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:

I agree well said . Often it seems that when BC loses it's coaching , never anything to do with execution and a win is never coaching but always the product of execution .
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have always felt that Wally as a non X and O guy is a better GM than coach and much of the success this season was due to off season signings (GM) but there where also some great TC decisions (HC). Trying Husband at centre has worked out better than expected and signing and rotating 2 experienced CFL RBs in Allen and Johnson has worked so well that there has been zero angst or hand wringing about the departure of fan favourite Harris. Will other teams copy the rotating RBs in 2017? Will the Lions continue with the strategy?

Both Washington and Jones have at times been excellent play callers and strategists but at other times too conservative and predictable. Which part is on Wally?

It would appear that Dorazio finally got wise and kept things simple for his young inexperienced O line with excellent results.

For the most part the coaching staff has stepped up and had a good year. I hope it continues. I hope I do not see Bighill backpedaling before the snap. I hope I see Jennings in some designed roll outs or semi rolls to get away from that fearsome Stamps D line.