Leos Prepare to Play Stamps in West Final

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:Manny says he doesn't have a concussion and has a device that he purchased himself to speed up the heeling on his ankle.

Manny also took responsibility for the interception against the Bombers...so much for Wllles and others to try to blame it on Jennings.
He does admit that he sprained his ankle on the first play of the game, which compromised his ability to make a play on the second. Quarterback Jonathon Jennings’ pass, intended for Arceneaux, was intercepted by defender Chris Randle, leading to Winnipeg’s first touchdown.

“That’s on me. And I owe the team for that,” Arceneaux said. “I was at 20 per cent in that game (he still made four catches for 56 yards). My 40 per cent is some people’s 100 per cent. So I’m working every day to get ready for Sunday.”
The interception is not on Jennings and it's not on Manny. It's on the coaching staff for targeting Manny on the first two plays of the game when they knew he would draw tight coverage, and for sticking with the game plan even after everyone in the building saw him get hurt on the opening play. He couldn't come back to the ball on the second play because he had a freshly sprained ankle and was, in his words, at 20 per cent. Kudos to him for gutting it out and competing on every play without complaint until Loffler knocked him from the game.
Absolutely!! As I was the first to post that our Leos should not target Manny or Burnham early in the game, I wasn't trying to blame Manny but it almost sounds like I was. Sorry. I was just pointing out, by Manny's words, that it was not Jennings fault, since he always gets blamed for interceptions. I was really upset, after the Bombers loss, that Wally had said he'd considered pulling Jennings a few times this season due to interceptions. This was from the same Head Coach who earlier in the season supported Jennings 'attack' style.

The dam truth is that we have a vertical passing offence that sends our two best receivers almost constantly on deep and deep intermediate routes, often against double coverage, all season.
Jennings has never told not to throw deep or not to throw deep into double coverage but encouraged to do so, all season Our coaching staff wanted to live by the sword on offence because it was working. But if something went wrong, then it was Jennings fault.

Only after this past game did Wally stand up completely and fully for Jennings. Before this, Wally let the press blame Jennings, create the impression that it was part of Jennings 'learning curve' and let Jennings take full responsibility. I've even read on Lionbackers, from a few, that the interceptions were 'inexperience'. Not most of them.

The deep passes have been a deliberate part of our scheme. If they work, the coaches take partial credit and are given a lot of credit.
Its good 'ol Wally back on the sidelines that is the reason why those long passes into double coverage work, as Jennings throws a purrfect deep football time after time, 40-50 yards deep, a couple of inches past the defenders hands and just into the fingertips of Manny or Burnham or Manny/Burnham outleap two defenders to high point the football.
Of course, good 'ol Wally, (with a little credit thrown to Khari and Travis Lulay's mentoring), bask in the glow of the success of our passing offence. But when Jennings throws an interception, well then its good 'ol Wally supporting Jennings as he 'grows' and 'learns' , but did consider pulling him, while Khari is not to be seen and Lulay's non-mentoring for the interceptions receives no press for that situation.
The truth is that without Jennings this season, we would likely have struggled, as we did without him for most of last season and began winning with him at the end of last season ..and the result would have been a lot less 'good 'ol legendary Wally' aricles in the newspapers.
Its a nice simple world for Wally and Company. Jennings success is 'our' success. Any Jennings failure is 'HIS' failure only. Writers like Willes and Beamish promote the concept.
But this last game, when Willes brought up the early interception, Wally got pissed But we won you see. Wally wanted to focus on the 'positive'. But when we lost against the Bombers and Jennings threw an interception, Wally didn't support him in the same 100% manner.
Now we have Manny taking full blame for the interception. The fact that he shouldn't have been targeted on the first play of the game is point one. The fact that he should not have been the primary receiver on a comeback route on the second play of the game is point 2.
Does anyone here think that Wally or Khari will come out and say they shouldn't have made that play call. Do you think Wally or Khari will come out and say that, with Manny hurt, they should certainly not made that play call. Do you think any of the press will ask why our coaching staff were throwing it to Manny early and hurt as well.

Do you think any of our coaching staff will be asked why we didn't take Manny out of the game for that first series, after he hurt his ankle on the first play, and have a look at how injured it was. Nope! Just throw to him as a primary receiver anyway.

Do you think that the press will ask why we were throwing deep into double coverage to a hurting Manny on the play that he was knocked out on. No, the focus will only be on Loffler as well as Manny's health.

Our coaches and press will just allow Manny to wear the early interception and if Manny had not worn it Jennings would have.
You have to really admire these players for their powerful sense of responsibility and accountability. You have to admire Jonathan's courage to stand up and take the fire, time and again, when most of it was not his fault. You have to admire Manny, playing on a really bad ankle in the game and knocked out trying to catch a deep ball in double coverage, on a route that he should never have been assigned in that game

I won't express the words that I would like to use, regarding those who don't take any accountability or responsibility or the press who don't have the courage to say I like it really is because they are intimidated or afraid they won't get quotes in the future. We have some very good football writers in Mike Beamish, Ed Willes, Cam Cole. etc.

But what put Lowell Ullrich at the top of the heap was not his writing skills but that Ullrich often had the courage to not just spout the usual pablum about Wally or be in awe of his 'legendary' status and actually question the things that don't get questioned now.
The others are quite happy to write articles giving good 'ol Wally most of the credit when we win and Jennings or someone else take the blame if we lose.
This type of script has been here for a long time with our Leos. Its not just Jennings this season. Dickenson took the rap for our lack of success in three playoff games, when we played him rusty as well as brought him back too early from concussions a couple of times. Printers took the rap, even though he had to practice throwing underhanded and pre-game with his rotator cuff injury and on his second edition here in B. C. he played on a knee injury that required knee reconstruction surgery, after he was released, which is mind blowing.

We let Jarious Jackson take the heat for a loss, when he was started with the knowledge that he had a bad finger injury on this throwing hand and yet was thrown to the wolves. Travis Lulay played with a bad shoulder at the end of 2012 and 2013 but still took blame for the losses and he personally accepted blame for losses.

So, now we have Manny, recovering from an ankle injury, (on a play that he should not have been targeted) worsened in the game by playing on it, and recovering from a brutal hit (on a route that he should never have been running - a deep route with a bad ankle against double coverage, taking responsibility for an interception (and deflecting usual blame from Jennings) even though he couldn't plant his foot and the route should not have been called and he should have been taken out of the game at that point, while also paying for his own medical device to speed up the healing of his ankle.
An admitted fast healer, Arceneaux is employing newfangled technology — a Game Ready machine, which he purchased himself — to give his ankle recovery a boost. The electro-medical contraption uses pneumatic compression and rapidly circulating cold therapy to ease pain and aid recovery for acute injuries to backs, knees and ankles.
Anything wrong with this picture. Seems like a young 24 year old first year starting quarterback and a 28 year old receiver have more courage than the more 'mature' adults who coach them, to take responsibility.

So I'm proud of you B.C. Fan and to all those colleague Lionbackers for sticking up for Jennings and now for sticking up for Manny, and Jennings in the past too.
They deserve it. Do they ever deserve it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
prj wrote:Congratulations and thanks for a very nice review of the major items to be watching on Sunday.

The only idea I can add is to ask which team responds more effectively to cold weather?

Either way, win or lose, this has been a great season, ably supported by this Board.

Nice job guys!

Thanks.
Fully agree, I doubt there's another CFL board with as much in-depth analysis as this one. (I'm just a fan, never played or studied the game).

If the Lions can somehow pull it off on Sunday (a tall order) their chances would be very good in the GC. I'd be satisfied if they can at least have a respectable showing, wipe out the memory of their worst loss of this season vs CGY (and last year's 35-9 playoff loss as well.)

And the playoff blow out the year before that in Montreal....and the depressing loss to the Roughriders the year before that.
Blitz
Team Captain

And the playoff blow out the year before that in Montreal....and the depressing loss to the Roughriders the year before that. Cardiac Kid.

The most painful one of recent times was the loss to Calgary, in the WDF. We were the best team in the CFL in 2012 with a 13-5 record. We were playing at home. Our offence and defense were the best.

We had four of the CFL's best ball hawks in our secondary at the time in Korey Banks, Dante Marsh, Ryan Phillips, and Byron Parker It was a blowout for most of the game. Kevin Glenn hit McDaniel for a 68 yard touchdown pass on the second play of the game. Korey Banks intercepted the football and took it back 77 yards for a touchdown to tie the game.

Calgary was up 31-16. With 3 minutes left in the game and down by two touchdowns, we marched for a touchdown but almost out of time, we tried an onside kick and failed to recover it.

I'm going into this game with hope and excitement and not expecting a win but not expecting to lose either.

Of course Wally is saying once again, its all about 'execution'. It sets up the scenario that if our players don't 'execute' then we don't win. If they 'execute' the game plan then we will win. Its all on the players.

But most Lionbackers are not buying it. Its about coaching as well as 'execution'. Its about game planning, scheme, and play calling as much as it is about execution. If we want to win, both are important but both these teams will execute the game plans at a high level.

So, then its more about coaching after all. In other words, if our coaches 'execute' their part, we'll win. If they don't 'execute we lose.

Now how is that for 'balancing' responsibility. Wally says the players need to execute and we say the coaches need to execute. Lots of 'executing' going on now. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:.....But most Lionbackers are not buying it. Its about coaching as well as 'execution'. Its about game planning, scheme, and play calling as much as it is about execution. If we want to win, both are important but both these teams will execute the game plans at a high level.
Agreed Blitz, and it's also about adjustments. How many times have we had our way against a team in the first half, only to come out of the locker room at half time and have our lunch handed to us because the opposition figured us out and made adjustments.....and we failed to counter?

It's kind of like a game within a game - a chess match if you will. Only Dave Dickenson is Bobby Fischer. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Blitz wrote:.....But most Lionbackers are not buying it. Its about coaching as well as 'execution'. Its about game planning, scheme, and play calling as much as it is about execution. If we want to win, both are important but both these teams will execute the game plans at a high level.
Agreed Blitz, and it's also about adjustments. How many times have we had our way against a team in the first half, only to come out of the locker room at half time and have our lunch handed to us because the opposition figured us out and made adjustments.....and we failed to counter?

It's kind of like a game within a game - a chess match if you will. Only Dave Dickenson is Bobby Fischer. :sigh:

:wink: :wink:

LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF BISCOTTI?

Dave Dickenson is the CFL West nominee for Coach of the Year. Dickenson, with a 15 win, one tie season (it could easily have been 16-1-1, had he not rested Bo Levi at the end of the year. He'll have his team more than prepared. John Hufnagel has also worked very differently with his rookie Head Coach than Wally worked with Benevedes and Tedford.
Hufnagel doesn't tower above Calgary's practices in an aerial lift bucket, like some demi-god, as Wally did here as GM. Hufnagel pre-scouts other teams, self-scouts for tendencies, sits in on unit meetings, and helps Dickenson with game planning, but only as a resource.
As you note, David, both game planning, play calling, and coaching adjustments within the game are all so very important. Wally doesn't believe in the motto "football should not be like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get". He obviously prefers the motto "football is like a box of Italian biscotti, you always know what you're going to get, and they always taste good as long as you eat them right" :wink:
There is little difference talent wise between these two teams (Jennings has significantly outperformed Bo Levi Mitchell the last 13 weeks)
That was obvious, when we beat Calgary at the start of the year. We were the only team to beat Calgary this season with Bo Levi Mitchell at quarterback. We had a huge lead on them in Calgary in the second game before our late collapse (defense and offence).

But in the third game, here in Vancouver, only 3 weeks later, Calgary stomped us 37-9. The Stamps, usually a zone defensive team prior to that game, went Man/Cover 2 and shut both Jennings (who was pulled in that game) and Lulay down. We didn't score a point in the second half of that game. The Stamps shredded our defense in every quarter of that game, scoring 17 points in the first half and 20 points in the second half, as we were unable to make adjustments to stop their offence.
In 3 weeks, our Leos players suddenly didn't stop 'executing' that badly nor did Calgary start 'executing' so much better

Calgary's coaching staff just plainly changed their game plan, play calling etc. from the previous game. They made adjustments. We played with the game game plan and plays as we had played them the two previous times. We got our asses kicked.

That can't happen this time.

OUR COACHING STAFF NEEDS TO 'MAKE PLAYS'

A lot of the outcome of this game is being thrown on Jennings shoulder. Its as if the question is 'can he take it to the next level. He already has and more. Jennings has performed under pressure in big games so many times this year that the West Final will be no different. If he has the tools given to him he will perform at a high level. If he isn't given the tools, he will make some special things happen.

But Jennings can't win this one on his own nor can the rest of our players.
This is really a game that our coaching staff has to step up and 'make plays' like Jennings, Manny, Burham, Rainey, Johnson, Sol E. and Bighill have all season. They've done spectacular things.

I don't expect Buono and Company to do anything 'spectacular'. That is not our coaching staff's style. But they had better come to 'coach' as well as our players need to play.
LULAY NEEDS TO BE READY

I just read my fifth long feature article on Travis Lulay this season. For a backup quarterback who has thrown 22 passes for 205 yds, and a low 80.0 quarterback efficiency average, Lulay has almost had as much press as Jennings.

The Vancouver sports writers are in love with him. This week the 'Lulay feature' was that Lulay was more low key than Tony Romo.

Travis has worked very well with Jonathan Jennings all season. Lulay is a class act. My hope is that he will be our offensive coordinator one day. Right now he is really functioning as a quarterback coach, while also practicing and preparing at our backup quarterback.
The reality is that Travis Lulay is paid more than Jennings. His role as an unofficial quarterback coach/mentor was part of his off-season signing. Lula is being very well paid for taking on that role, as well as being our backup quarterback.
My focus is on Lulay's ability as a backup quarterback. Last year, in the playoffs, Jennings got hurt during the game. Should that happen again, our offence will change. Lulay cant' throw the deep ball like Jennings nor does he have the accuracy that Jennings has for the deep intermediate ball.

But Lulay is an excellent double threat quarterback who especially excels off misdirection play action. He is outstanding at finding this tailback in the open off that play, or hitting a crossing receiver on the run or taking off himself.
My hope, should Jennings ever get hurt in this game or for some reason, really struggle, we need to have a plan to adjust our offence to Lulay's strengths immediately.
THE JENNINGS FACTOR

This article by Ed Willes says so much about Jennings that I won't add anything but want to highlight this.
Over the last 13 games of this season, Jonathan Jennings has a mind blowing quarterback efficiency average of 126.3, 20 points higher than Bo Levi Mitchell over that time period. That quarterback efficiency average, over that time, is higher than Dickenson, Printers, or Lulay ever achieved. That is how incredible he has played.
I stuck up for Jennings, as did many other Lionbackers, when we lost to the Bombers. Jennings deserved that. We've been looking at something special this season, in Jennings first full year as a starter.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Willes: Chilled out Jennings knows how to lead
You look at the numbers in their wins and the presumption is Jonathon Jennings finds the nearest phone booth and changes into Superman as the B.C. Lions enter the fourth quarter.

A 77.6 completion percentage during those 13 victories.
Eight times when he supplied the margin of victory in the final frame, including five game-winning drives in the final two minutes
A quarterback rating of 126.3, which, to put in perspective, is almost 20 points higher than Bo Levi Mitchell recorded in Calgary this season.
The Jennings Effect, moreover, was never more apparent than in the Lions’ 32-31 win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Sunday’s Western semifinal when he went 11 for 11 in the fourth quarter, while leading the Lions on touchdown drives of 75 and 82 yards and ran for the game-winning touchdown himself with just over a minute to go.

So Jennings turns into something else when the game’s on the line. But when asked about the dramatic transformation that takes place — how the mild-mannered mid-Westerner turns into a superhero in the fourth quarter — his teammates report there is no dramatic transformation, and that’s really the point here.

At 24, Jennings has the rare ability to find calm in the game’s biggest moments, to turn the temperature down when things are at their hottest.
During Sunday’s game-winning drive , Lions receiver Bryan Burnham said the stress of the situation was starting to get to some of the veterans
Then they looked at Jennings.
“He was just like, guys, relax,” Burnham said. “I’ve got this. When you see your quarterback do that, it just calms everyone down and gives us all confidence.“You never see him get flustered or yell at anybody. It’s crazy to see a 24-year-old in his first full year of starting do that, but it’s not a surprise anymore. It’s just Jennings. We expect it.”
Jennings, of course, has demonstrated all the attributes of a franchise quarterback this year and they were all on display against the Blue Bombers. There’s the arm — in the third quarter he launched a 65-yard missile from his own goal line to Terrell Sinkfield that resulted in a pass-interference call and a 58-yard gain.
There’s the accuracy — 11 for 11 in the fourth quarter says it all. There’s the mobility — he ran for 43 yards and two scores including the game-winner: “One of the greatest football plays I’ve ever seen,” said Burnham.
But it’s that ability to consume pressure and spit it out like sunflower seeds that might be the most impressive trait, and he’s done it in big ways and small this season
Against Calgary in the Lions’ first game of the season, Jennings took the ball with 3 1/2 minutes left and directed a 60-yard drive that ate up the clock and produced a 20-18 win.
OK, most of that was on the ground. But three weeks later, he engineered three fourth-quarter touchdown drives against Saskatchewan in a 40-27 Lions win while throwing for 126 yards and two scores.

At the midpoint of the season, the Lions were coming off their worst performance of the year at home against Calgary when Jennings produced a game-winning touchdown drive against Ottawa in the final two minutes, then came back six days later and directed another game-winning drive against Toronto, which ended with Richie Leone’s field goal on the last play of the game.

In the Lions’ biggest win of the regular season, a 32-25 decision over Edmonton at home on Oct. 22 that started their current four-game winning streak, he wasn’t as dominating but he still produced two fourth-quarter scoring drives that maintained a two-possession advantage for the Leos.
“He has a deep wisdom for being such a young kid,” receiver Marco Ianuzzi said of Jennings.
“It’s a tough thing to do but every time he comes into the huddle, he acts like it’s the first play of the game.”
“In big games, your big-time players have to step up,” said Lions head coach Wally Buono, who’s coached a few great CFL quarterbacks. “That’s the great thing about him, the bigger the moment the better he is.”
In Sunday’s Western final, Jennings will also be facing the biggest moment of his career against the Stampeders. It’s the kind of game that can make a quarterback’s reputation. It’s the kind of game that can cement his relationship with his team. Normally, you’d think that stage is too big for a 24-year-old in his first year as a starter.
But there’s nothing normal about this 24-year-old.

“I’m not sure why it happens, it just does,” Jennings said. “I don’t think it’s some kind of magic. It’s just executing play by play.”

Which is its own kind of magic.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Based on historical odds, the Lions have a good chance in this game. Overall, home teams have won just over half of all West Finals since 1972, 56%. Having a superior regular-season record, a one-week bye and playing at home provide only a slight advantage over a visiting team that won the WSF the previous week. In this case, the Lions come in on a four-game winning streak and the Stamps have had two weeks off and haven't won a game in a month.

The Lions and Stamps have faced each other five times in a one-game West Final, with the visitors winning four of those games.
B.C. won in Calgary in 1994 and 2000 and lost in 2008. In all three games in Calgary, the winner went on to win the Grey Cup.
The Stamps won the two West Finals played in Vancouver, in 1999 and 2012. Both times, they went on to lose the Grey Cup.

It's amazing how closely matched these teams were in the regular season. The Stamps won the season series 2-1, thanks to an end-zone interception in overtime to give them a 44-41 victory.

Overall, the Stamps and Lions were the two best teams during the regular season and their offensive and defensive stats were closely matched. Some key examples:

Record:
Calgary 15-2-1 (1st)
B.C. 123-6 (2nd)

Scoring average:
Calgary 32.6 (1st)
B.C. 30.3 (3rd)

Touchdowns:
Calgary 58 (1st)
B.C. 56 (3rd)

Net offence yards:
B.C. 401.1 (3rd)
Calgary 398.2 (4th)

Big plays:
B.C. 71 (1st)
Calgary 67 (2nd)

Net defence yards:
B.C. 337.7 (1st)
Calgary 339.3 (2nd)

Opponent 1st downs:
B.C. 348 (1st)
Calgary 377 (2nd)

B.C. and Calgary are also the least penalized teams in the league.

Two big differences between these teams statistically are turnover margin (Calgary +19, B.C. -7) and big plays allowed. Calgary gave up 45 big plays (2nd), while B.C. gave up 62 (8th). Calgary has won 31 straight games when they have won the turnover battle, and they're 13-0 this year when making fewer or an equal number of turnovers. The Lions are 10-0. Calgary's only two losses came when they lost the turnover battle. Both teams made five turnovers during their head-to-head meetings this year. In each case, the winner won the turnover battle.

The Stampeders are 9-0 at home this year, including the 44-41 OT victory over B.C. and a 36-34 win against Winnipeg when they blew a 24-0 lead but won the game on a last-play field goal. The Lions are 6-3 on the road.

A key to the game will be the battle of Calgary's offensive line against B.C.'s defensive line. B.C. needs to shut down Calgary's running game and try to get pressure on quarterback. Bo Levi Mitchell has a quick release and always has a hot route against the blitz. Calgary gave up only 20 sacks, but seven of them came in the first two games against B.C. The Stamps made adjustments and held B.C. without a sack in their third meeting. If Mitchell has time in the pocket, the Stamps are hard to beat.
Lionsfan65
Starter

Just ready on TSN.ca that Manny has been cleared to play. He has no concussion symptoms. He should be a major factor in this game.
David
Team Captain

Actually, I am less concerned about Arceneaux's concussion than his ankle. He has been symptom free since experiencing a post-game headache (not too surprising there), and while he could possibly start to feel worse upon resuming contact, he sprained his ankle on the first play against Winnipeg which raises more red flags for me. Those don't heal in a week. And if Manny is hobbling and can't run at full speed and/or make his cuts effectively, I would almost rather have a fresh, healthy Douglas McNeil in his place. Or at the very least, have him on the roster ready to be inserted. You can make a patch work, Manny-less offense work against a Bomber D, but not against the Stamps. :2cents:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Based on historical odds, the Lions have a good chance in this game. Overall, home teams have won just over half of all West Finals since 1972, 56%. Having a superior regular-season record, a one-week bye and playing at home provide only a slight advantage over a visiting team that won the WSF the previous week. In this case, the Lions come in on a four-game winning streak and the Stamps have had two weeks off and haven't won a game in a month.

The Lions and Stamps have faced each other five times in a one-game West Final, with the visitors winning four of those games.
B.C. won in Calgary in 1994 and 2000 and lost in 2008. In all three games in Calgary, the winner went on to win the Grey Cup.
The Stamps won the two West Finals played in Vancouver, in 1999 and 2012. Both times, they went on to lose the Grey Cup.

It's amazing how closely matched these teams were in the regular season. The Stamps won the season series 2-1, thanks to an end-zone interception in overtime to give them a 44-41 victory.

Overall, the Stamps and Lions were the two best teams during the regular season and their offensive and defensive stats were closely matched. Some key examples:

Record:
Calgary 15-2-1 (1st)
B.C. 123-6 (2nd)

Scoring average:
Calgary 32.6 (1st)
B.C. 30.3 (3rd)
I find it interesting their respective scoring averages are as close as they are; essentially less than a field goal a game. I am not intending this to be a rag on Richie Leone but if he didn't have the place-kicking struggles he did or if we had a dedicated place kicked like Paredes, I wonder how the rankings on that particular stat could have looked?

At the very least, having McCallum handling the place kicking I hope is giving Leone the opportunity to concentrate on his punting and in particular, directional punting. There were a couple of occasions where I think he got lucky during the semi-final; once McDuffie should have let the ball bounce into the end-zone and take the field position (instead he fielded it pretty much on the goal-line and ran it out to around the 10) another a punt went straight down the middle of the field but the cover team did well to minimize the damage.

But with McCallum on board, our kicking game just drew a heck of a lot closer to being equal with Maver and Paredes.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Actually, I am less concerned about Arceneaux's concussion than his ankle. He has been symptom free since experiencing a post-game headache (not too surprising there), and while he could possibly start to feel worse upon resuming contact, he sprained his ankle on the first play against Winnipeg which raises more red flags for me. Those don't heal in a week. And if Manny is hobbling and can't run at full speed and/or make his cuts effectively, I would almost rather have a fresh, healthy Douglas McNeil in his place. Or at the very least, have him on the roster ready to be inserted. You can make a patch work, Manny-less offense work against a Bomber D, but not against the Stamps. :2cents:

Concur. We need to have another receiver ready to step in if Manny's ankle is not 100%
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions and Stamps have faced each other five times in a one-game West Final, with the visitors winning four of those games.
Yes, in the WDF the Stampeders lead the series 3-2 not counting 1964 in which the Lions won the best of 3 series.
Of those five, four of them turned out to be very close games with the exception being in 2000 in which the Lions took a huge lead and never looked back and was essentially a blowout in the Lions 37-23 win.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I know some of the old-timers on this board may find this rather clichéd but considering that the Lions will be playing for the west division championship for the first time in four years and given the fact that there are several newcomers to this board, I think it’s very appropriate to give those of you who will be going to McMahon Stadium this Sunday to cheer the Lions on this friendly reminder:

If the Lions win the west division final, remember to stay for the trophy presentation. :yes:

For the newcomers to this board, this is the origin and context of this friendly reminder stemming from a dozen years ago shortly after I joined this board. One of the most memorable Lions playoff wins was the 2004 West Division Final. It was very memorable for several reasons because it was the first time in 19 years that the Lions won the western final at home since 1985 and even the 1994 Grey Cup didn’t involve an on-field presentation, attendance was very high at that playoff game, and the exciting and nail biting finish with Duncan O’Mahony first kicking a field goal to tie the game late in the 4th quarter, and then another 40-yard field goal to win it in overtime.

But right after O’Mahony’s successful field goal to help the Lions win 27-25, many fans immediately headed towards the doors and exited BC Place and many of them regretted doing so :oops: . The reason being that most of you did not realize that there was a post-game ceremony and the fans should have stayed to celebrate and congratulate the Lions at the ceremony. The post-game ceremony involved a CFL executive presenting a newly designed trophy, replacing the old one on my avatar, to Wally Buono who in turn gave it to player Mark Washington who in turn took the trophy to show it to the few remaining fans in the stadium. To avoid being sad and regretful in missing the post-game ceremony, I’ve been letting everyone know about the post-game trophy presentation after the division final. :wink:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
almo89
Legend

Robbie wrote:I know some of the old-timers on this board may find this rather clichéd but considering that the Lions will be playing for the west division championship for the first time in four years and given the fact that there are several newcomers to this board, I think it’s very appropriate to give those of you who will be going to McMahon Stadium this Sunday to cheer the Lions on this friendly reminder:

If the Lions win the west division final, remember to stay for the trophy presentation. :yes:
I look forward to your reminder everytime we get to the West Final because it means we are in the West Final :)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:
Robbie wrote:I know some of the old-timers on this board may find this rather clichéd but considering that the Lions will be playing for the west division championship for the first time in four years and given the fact that there are several newcomers to this board, I think it’s very appropriate to give those of you who will be going to McMahon Stadium this Sunday to cheer the Lions on this friendly reminder:

I look forward to your reminder everytime we get to the West Final because it means we are in the West Final :)
:roar: Yes, Robbie's reminder brought a smile to my face.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have declared their 46-man roster, with their full starting lineup intact. Shawn Gore and Manny Arceneaux start at their usual receiver positions. Douglas McNeil, who took reps at Arceneaux's slotback position this week, remains on the practice roster. Shaq Johnson returns to the practice roster with Gore's activation from the injured list.

Depth chart and roster for West Final