Jeff Tedford a Head Coach again

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good for Tedford. He seems best suited to coaching college players. He'll have his hands full, though. Fresno State is terrible.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Tedford.

This fan credits him with seeing the potential in Jonathon Jennings.

Yes many NFL teams had him in for looksees. The Riders had him in. But they all let him go. Tedford kept him as #3. Opportunity came along, and now we have the best young QB talent in football. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good for Tedford.

Yes many NFL teams had him in for looksees. The Riders had him in. But they all let him go. Tedford kept him as #3. Opportunity came along, and now we have the best young QB talent in football. :thup:
I am not a George Cortez fan but I wonder what input he had in recognizing Jennings' potential. Cortez was the OC when Jennings was at the Riders tryout camp in April 2014 and then he was the Lions OC a year later when Jennings was at the Lions tryout camp. Did he have input in getting Jennings to the Lions camp and did he see improvement in Jennings a year later?
Blitz
Team Captain

Everything I know is that Tedford is the one who really liked what he saw in Jennings and also worked with Jennings a lot last season.

Tedford is going to receive about 1.5 million per season. Bet that is about 5 times or more what he was getting as a Leo HC. Its probably three times more than what Wally is getting as GM/HC.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Good for Tedford.

I am not a George Cortez fan but I wonder what input he had in recognizing Jennings' potential. Cortez was the OC when Jennings was at the Riders tryout camp in April 2014 and then he was the Lions OC a year later when Jennings was at the Lions tryout camp. Did he have input in getting Jennings to the Lions camp and did he see improvement in Jennings a year later?
I have nothing against George Cortez. I think Tedford does have a reputation as something of a quarterback developer. It has to be the Head Coach who decides which players stay and which players get the apple, map and bus ticket out of town (to quote Jerry Glanville). Pretty good environment for QBs with the Lions also. Wally has been HC when many QBs blossomed. Lulay and Khari Jones were here also with JJ last year.
Blitz wrote:Everything I know is that Tedford is the one who really liked what he saw in Jennings and also worked with Jennings a lot last season.

Tedford is going to receive about 1.5 million per season. Bet that is about 5 times or more what he was getting as a Leo HC. Its probably three times more than what Wally is getting as GM/HC.
Glad for Tedford. Seemed like a good guy. I sympathize with him re his health issues, and with the difficult situation here last year. It seems like he left the team personnel, and even morale, in very good shape for Wally coming into this year. This CFL fan kind of thought he lacked the insane level of energy (health issue) needed to transform a team in one year. Plus some of us here were of the opinion that GM Wally could not let go to the extent that a HC needs.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:Everything I know is that Tedford is the one who really liked what he saw in Jennings and also worked with Jennings a lot last season.

Apparently Tedford was also still drawing severance from Cal last year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I am not a George Cortez fan but I wonder what input he had in recognizing Jennings' potential. Cortez was the OC when Jennings was at the Riders tryout camp in April 2014 and then he was the Lions OC a year later when Jennings was at the Lions tryout camp. Did he have input in getting Jennings to the Lions camp and did he see improvement in Jennings a year later?
Wasn't Cortez quoted as saying he didn't really remember Jennings from that Rider tryout camp?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:I am not a George Cortez fan but I wonder what input he had in recognizing Jennings' potential. Cortez was the OC when Jennings was at the Riders tryout camp in April 2014 and then he was the Lions OC a year later when Jennings was at the Lions tryout camp. Did he have input in getting Jennings to the Lions camp and did he see improvement in Jennings a year later?
Wasn't Cortez quoted as saying he didn't really remember Jennings from that Rider tryout camp?
True. From Mike Beamish on Oct. 3, 2015:
"I'm not going to lie to you. I don't remember him," Cortez admitted after the Lions' practice Friday. "When Jon came to us this year, he told me, 'You know, I was at your (Roughriders) mini-camp last year.' He had to remind me. I would have remembered him if he performed then like he has for us."
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Apparently, $1.6M from what I read, so seems life has worked out nicely for the guy.
David
Team Captain

From a couple of players that I talked to (confidentially) that played on the 2015 squad (neither of whom is on the the 2016 team), Tedford was not at all popular. One told me he didn't come clean with his relegation from his starter's job. Didn't/wouldnt talk to him about it. The other told me that Tedford micro-managed their lives, even when it came down to the food they were to eat!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:From a couple of players that I talked to (confidentially) that played on the 2015 (neither of whom is on the the 2016 team), Tedford was not at all popular. One told me he didn't come clean with his relegation from his starter's job. Didn't/wouldnt talk to him about it. The other told me that Tedford micro-managed their lives, even when it came down to the food they were to eat!

It's something that career college coaches struggle with when they go to the pro ranks as HC. In Tedford's case he did have a bit of pro coaching experience on his resume but not much. Prior to coming to BC he had the cup of coffee as T-Bay's OC in 2014 when health issues forced him out before the season even began. His only other pro gig ended 21 years prior to that in Calgary and he was only 30 when he left there. As Bill "Tuna" Parcells used to say "when you're coaching in college you get to play dictator". It's not always easy for them to turn off the dictator switch when they switch to working with grown men.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:From a couple of players that I talked to (confidentially) that played on the 2015 (neither of whom is on the the 2016 team), Tedford was not at all popular. One told me he didn't come clean with his relegation from his starter's job. Didn't/wouldnt talk to him about it. The other told me that Tedford micro-managed their lives, even when it came down to the food they were to eat!

This, again, is out of the Chip Kelly system. He's big on player nutrition and rest and all that stuff.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tedford has reportedly hired Hamilton defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer to be his DC at Fresno State. Steinauer was under contract for 2017 but had an out clause if a better position came along. That will be a blow to the Ti-Cats.

Ticats Orlondo Steinauer to be new defensive coordinator at Fresno State
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Tedford has reportedly hired Hamilton defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer to be his DC at Fresno State. Steinauer was under contract for 2017 but had an out clause if a better position came along. That will be a blow to the Ti-Cats.

Ticats Orlondo Steinauer to be new defensive coordinator at Fresno State
Great gig for him. Based on school the size of Fresno State will be making $300,000 (US) at least. Still think Dickenson ends up south at some point too.