The End of Jim Popp in Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The Als have said good bye to Jim Popp.

Popp's fourth time of wanting to be the HC in Montreal sealed his demise. His ego was the end of him in Montreal.

CFL.ca Staff

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes announced Monday that Vice-President and General Manager Jim Popp will not return to the team in 2017.

Popp spent 21 seasons with the team after originally joining the Baltimore Stallions in 1994, who later moved to Montreal to become the Alouettes. The Alouettes have played in eight Grey Cups since Popp took control, winning three of them in 2002, 2009 and 2010.
“Jim’s leadership over the last 20-plus years has created a football legacy, delivering Montreal three Grey Cups and eight East Division titles during his tenure,” said owner Bob Wetenhall. “We are very grateful for his dedication and personal sacrifice to the Alouettes franchise. We know this team is positioned to get back to its winning ways in 2017.”

The club already has commenced its search for the next general manager, which would be the first the team has had since relocating to Montreal in 1996.

“We are 100 per cent committed to bringing the Grey Cup back to Montreal, and our record over the last several years has not been acceptable,” Lead Governor Andrew Wetenhall said. “Our general manager search is focused on candidates that will embrace the Club’s three guiding principles: delivering championship football to our fans; supporting the success of our players and staff; and giving back to the Montreal and greater Quebec community.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Surprised he survived the aftermath of the Hawkins hire, actually.

But good on him. Take a year off, contemplate the meaning of life down on Lake Norman, then come back and start over again with a clean slate.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Popp finally poops the bed.

Years of success. One too many times trying to be a Head Coach. As noted, the Hawkins hire was a disaster.

I hope it works out well for Jacques Chapdelaine. Remarkable turnaround to respectability for the team once he took over as interim Head Coach. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
almo89
Legend

Surprised to see Nik Lewis have a 1000 yard season at his age and weight lol. TSN did a short segment on Chapdelaine and it looks like Lewis wants him back next year as head coach. Wonder if the new GM for the Als will keep Chap or hire a new coaching staff.
Lionsfan65
Starter

No surprise here, the Al's record over the last 3 years is all on him. He had some good years but he reached his expiry date.
The question now is where he will end up next? Whether or not he gets another job in the CFL, maybe Toronto?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Popp was fortunate to have Don Matthews and Marc Trestman as head coaches for 10 of his 20 years in Montreal. They won a Grey Cup under Matthews and two under Trestman. The rest of Popp's tenure, and most of his coaching hires, are quite forgettable. His biggest mistake was thinking he could coach better than the people he had originally hired. He couldn't.

MONTREAL HEAD COACHES UNDER JIM POPP
Bob Price (1996)
Dave Ritchie (1997–1998)
Charlie Taaffe (1999–2000)
Rod Rust (2001)
Jim Popp (2001)
Don Matthews (2002–2006)
Jim Popp (2006–2007)
Marc Trestman (2008–2012)
Dan Hawkins (2013)
Jim Popp (2013)
Tom Higgins (2014–2015)
Jim Popp (2015–2016)
Jacques Chapdelaine (2016–present)
squishy35
Legend

It will be interesting to see who makes the shortlist for potential GM candidates.
almo89
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Popp was fortunate to have Don Matthews and Marc Trestman as head coaches for 10 of his 20 years in Montreal. They won a Grey Cup under Matthews and two under Trestman. The rest of Popp's tenure, and most of his coaching hires, are quite forgettable. His biggest mistake was thinking he could coach better than the people he had originally hired. He couldn't.

MONTREAL HEAD COACHES UNDER JIM POPP
Bob Price (1996)
Dave Ritchie (1997–1998)
Charlie Taaffe (1999–2000)
Rod Rust (2001)
Jim Popp (2001)
Don Matthews (2002–2006)
Jim Popp (2006–2007)
Marc Trestman (2008–2012)
Dan Hawkins (2013)
Jim Popp (2013)
Tom Higgins (2014–2015)
Jim Popp (2015–2016)
Jacques Chapdelaine (2016–present)
Also pretty fortunate to have Calvillo and Cahoon for a bunch of those years. Hasn't been the same for Montreal since Calvillo retired.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Re: Chapdelaine, it would probably do well for the management to ask Nik Lewis what his opinion is on the man. He has been around long enough and means enough to this team that his word should carry some weight as to whether Chaps stays or not.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Secure, patient GMs give the existing staff a year to sort everything out, tweaking rather than making wholesale changes. I would expect the same here.

They'll probably kick the tires on Maciocia but he's tenured, comfortable and successful in the CIS. Brock Sunderland in Ottawa is one name mentioned.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Re: Chapdelaine, it would probably do well for the management to ask Nik Lewis what his opinion is on the man. He has been around long enough and means enough to this team that his word should carry some weight as to whether Chaps stays or not.
Nik Lewis has publically stated he wants Chap as the HC next season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:Re: Chapdelaine, it would probably do well for the management to ask Nik Lewis what his opinion is on the man. He has been around long enough and means enough to this team that his word should carry some weight as to whether Chaps stays or not.
Nik Lewis carries his weight better than anyone. :wink: He doesn't need Als management to ask him his opinion, he will no doubt tell them in person.

Here is what I previously posted in the Promotion Thread:

The Als best promotional move would be to hire a french speaking GM (Danny Machocha sp?) and remove the interim tag on a french speaking HC (Chaps). Machocha has a lot more of an out going personality than Chaps and can work the french language media :beauty: and Chaps offensive football knowledge is greater than any other HC prospect out there. :beauty: :beauty:

The Montreal Canadiens are very aware of the need for a french speaking coach and the the Als need to make this a necessity as well. They are in fact blessed to have 2 french speaking qualified guys to fill vacancies and going forward this will not always be the case so the Als should be all over these 2 hires.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This CFL fan would rather see Danny Maciocia stay with the college ranks. I think the Eskimo fans were happy to see him go. IMO Danny has some baggage.

Keep JC as Head Coach. Try to find a guy like Marcel Desjardins for GM.

Just IMO. We will see what the Alouettes decide soon enough.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Maccioci would want the power to hire the HC and he would hire Thorpe as HC.

In the meanwhile, under Chap they went 4-2, won three games in a row, and many players want Chap back.

Perrett, Montreal's right tackle Perrett, who has been with the Als since 2008, says Chap has an incredible football mind. Samuel Giguère liked the way Chap directed the Als as HC

As a tough Chap critic from 2005-2010, I became a supporter of Chap from 2011-2013. He really changed his offence in those seasons - from a predictable, bland spread offensive scheme to a multi-formational, multi-dimensional hybrid offence. I didn't want us to let Chap go at the end of 2013 (and I was in the minority). We went back to the bland spread scheme in 2014 and 2015 (and for most of this season too but Jennings made it work with his incredible throws).

Over the past few games, Khari Jones is running a very similar offence to what Chap ran here in his last few seasons - more two back sets, more motion, more misdirection, a mixture of crossing and vertical patterns. etc. Great to see.

I was not surprised that Chap was successful in turning things around in Montreal at the end of the season.
Chapdelaine changed the mindset of the team, telling the players he wouldn’t take any nonsense while advising them they had to assume control and responsibility. Chapdelaine established a standard — a winning one, eventually — providing the structure and discipline that was lacking.

Anyone who didn’t buy the party-line — receivers Duron Carter and Kenny Stafford — were, eventually, released.
“I think he’s done a great job. I don’t think he’s a bad choice,” Perrett said. “He has an incredible football mind. He speaks well and knows how to get his point across. I think guys really bought into what he was saying.”

Receiver Samuel Giguère scored two touchdowns in Saturday’s victory at Hamilton despite suffering from bursitis in his right knee. He had the knee drained of fluid, was put on antibiotics and took a late flight to Hamilton on Friday night, not arriving at the team hotel until 1 a.m.

“It’s unfortunate again to miss the playoffs, but I think we’re slowly creating a new identity,” he said. “Now we’re starting to win because that’s what we do.

“The guys responded well when Jacques stepped in. The engagement and preparation of the guys was great. The guys responded well. He provided a sense of ownership, engagement and good structure. I appreciated the way he directed the team.
“I’d like to see him return.”

While the Als certainly have offensive issues that must be overcome, Chapdelaine for one believes the team has found its quarterback moving forward — Vernon Adams. But Chapdelaine admitted Adams didn’t have the pressure of getting the team into the playoffs, which was facing Rakeem Cato following the trade of veteran Kevin Glenn.

“Vernon’s only pressure was to do well for himself and the team,” Chapdelaine said. “Right now, knowing what we know, Vernon might have a leg up on Rakeem. The way he finished. What he demonstrated and what we may not have seen from anyone this year — including the veteran quarterback. When things didn’t go well he found a way to make them right. He wasn’t alone in that.”