Leos Prepare for Riders - Gotta Win

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

And Dunk is the winner. Rider depth chart is up. Durant is on the 1G injured list. Gale is listed as starter.

http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp ... -B.C.-.pdf
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart ...

Very talented lineup. IMO the one group that could be better is at International D Line. No all stars from amongst Roh, Turner, Bazzie and Brooks.

Brooks at backup.

Gore not playing.

McCallum on the chart. One hopes the semi-retired muscles are up to the task.

Li'l Shaq off the chart. Shaquille Murray Lawrence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
South Pender wrote:
Blitz wrote:When looking at Jonathan Jennings success this season, a huge focus is his outstanding accuracy on deep and deep intermediate throws and his poise in the pocket. What often goes under the radar is how good a runner he is.

Jennings is second in quarterback rushing, behind Mike Reilly. But Reilley has run the football 102 times, whereas Jennings has only taken off 66 times. Jennings has a 5.3 yd. average running the football, whereas Reilly's average is 4.0 yd. per rush.

Jennings usually only runs the football when he has to. But in the playoffs Jennings ability to run the football could be a difference maker. One area that we really could take advantage would be to use the zone read option. Defences really key on our tailback on the inside zone read play inside. In the playoffs, Jennings could pull the football and take off outside, especially against Man/Cover 2, as the defenders playing man coverage have their backs to the football.

We've also called a few misdirection play action bootlegs for Jennings lately. That gives him a pass/run option.
Blitz, I should probably know this, and this may not be the right thread for it, but, speaking of Jennings, do we have him for another year? Or will he be free to test the NFL next year? Given his youth and talent, I'd be surprised if he didn't want to give it a shot.

According to BCLIONS.COM Jennings is signed through 2018.
Acquired:
Jonathon was signed as a free agent by the Lions in April 2015. In May 2016, Jonathon signed a contract extension through the 2018 season.
http://www.bclions.com/players/jonathon ... gs/160212/
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Just reviewing some film on youtube, appreciating Jonathon Jennings.

Here is a shout out to Rolly Lumbala. Much respected. Great blocker. Here he is crushing a blitzing Rider, protecting Jennings, allowing a long TD pass to Gore. :thup:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

According to looniecap.com Jennings is earning $210k this season, then $235k and $360k in 2018. Lulay is at $225 for this season and next and then a free agent in 2018.

As far as Jennings NFL prospects go he has two things going against him:

He is too short at 6' in a league that wants QBs that are at least 6'4". Wilson and Brees are the exception to the rule. The best NFL opportunity for Jennings, imo would be something similar to what Ray's and Dickenson's prospects when they had their NFL tryouts: career NFL backup due to accurate passer but too small to be an every down full season player. Both Ray and Dickenson made the right choice, imo.

The second thing that Jennings has going against him is that he played for a small college. While playing against top tier competition in university is a big deal to NFL scouts there is some irony here because at small Saginaw Valley State in upstate Michigan, Jennings got to start all 4 years. At a big football program university Jennings would likely not have started until his senior year, so now as a 24 year old he has taken more live snaps than most QBs at that age.
Blitz
Team Captain

Jennings has an NFL arm, in terms of both strength and accuracy. I'm thrilled that we have him for 2017 and 2018. I think he will stay in the CFL and would be wise to.

I'm also pleased to see that we have gone with two International tackles for this game, even with Westerman back. We can use Menard at defensive end and rotate him for both Roh and Bazzie. Bryant Turner Jr. can also play outside.

I'm also pleased that we are going to line up Adekolu in Gore's spot and not switch Iannuzzi there and have Adekolu play field side wide receiver. Adekolu is a big target at 6'4" and 220 pounds and it makes more sense to have him play the boundary wide out. We may also see the speedy Shaq Johnson there at times.

I also like that we have Sinkfield as the tight slot and Burnham as the wider slot. We can utilize Sinkfield's speed better for quick crosses in the tight slot. I can't believe that Khari Jones is doing so many good things lately but I'm more than pleased about it.

Hope we can win this game, win it handily, and get Lulay some reps on offence, and Vaillencourt as well.

Wish we would have played Allen at tailback this game so that Jeremiah would have been fresher for the playoffs but Wally is focused on winning this game and that is understandable. He doesn't want to take chances regarding a home playoff berth - we haven't had one in a lot of years now - the last time was 2012, when we finished first and then lost to Calgary in the WDF.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Of the 3 players that the Lions list as going off the 46 man roster, Shaq is on the 1 game injured list but Gore and Forde have vanished, as in no longer on the roster. :dizzy:
squishy35
Legend

DanoT wrote:Of the 3 players that the Lions list as going off the 46 man roster, Shaq is on the 1 game injured list but Gore and Forde have vanished, as in no longer on the roster. :dizzy:

Tres weird..... :i:
squishy35
Legend

Gore is out with a medical issue according to Farhan's twitter.
CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote: McCallum on the chart. One hopes the semi-retired muscles are up to the task.
I would be inclined to worry more about Paulie's muscles getting tweaked, yanked, pulled, torn, etc. while attempting to chase down the return of a missed field-goal. So my advice to him (like I am such an "expert".... :dizzy: ) is don't miss any field goals or converts.

There. The easy-peasy guide to being an arm chair place kicker.

In regards to JJ24 starting, I would have preferred he sat out last week if he was to sit out at all. Allen and Johnson have managed the alternating routine pretty good but I got to believe running backs are better and more effective when they get more touches. Including the lead-up to the play-offs so I am happy he continues to play.

And as for JJ24, I have finally decided to spring for one of the new jerseys and his name and # will be going on mine.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Do the Lions sit some starters if Winnipeg loses. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Do the Lions sit some starters if Winnipeg loses. Thnx BB
I would think Jennings play the 1st half and Lulay the 2nd half
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ballistic Bob wrote:Do the Lions sit some starters if Winnipeg loses. Thnx BB
Once the 46 is turned in that is what they have to work with. Wally will have 2 versions of the 44 active. One if they have to win tomorrow and another if Ottawa knocks off Winnipeg. In the case of the latter I suspect Allen would draw in instead of Jackson and whomever the other extra body is would also draw in for a starter. Other than that we'd just see the reps redistributed amongst those already on the 44.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, Ottawa did not give the Lions a much needed break as they gave up an early lead to allow Winnipeg to win their last game and temporarily give the Blue Bombers 2nd in the west. :bang:

So the Lions definitely control their own destiny now and MUST win their last game tomorrow if they want to finish 2nd in the west and host the west division semi-final. :juggle:

I've stated a few times before that numerous times in the past in franchise history the Lions have choked in their last game of the regular season and gave up their chance to host a playoff game. This season better NOT be one of them. :cr:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。