Lions Nominees for CFL Player Awards

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

In an article titled "Mike Beamish: You've got to hand it to Lulay, the Lions' Unofficial Unsung Hero, the choices for our Leos nominees are discussed.

Of course there is no Unsung Hero award. But Beamish will do almost anything to support his reporter crush on Travis Lulay. Most of the article is about Lulay and not our legitimate award nominee choices.

In a number of articles this season, Beamish has subtly and not so subtly attempted to lobby for Lulay. He wrote about "the many emails Buono supposedly receives supporting Lulay as our starting quarterback" or attempted to spark a quarterback controversy when Jennings threw a number of interceptions over three games, stating most coaches "would be going with an experienced quarterback" and "fans once again were pushing for Lulay as our starter" but Wally was "sticking with Jennings". Huh?

Now Beamish begins his article on our 2016 Player Awards by headlining Lulay for Unsung Hero in discussion about our Leo CFL nominees. Perhaps he is just practicing for a future career as a lobbyist or as Hillary Clinton's future campaign manager, should she lose the election. :wink:

More on Lulay and the non-existent Unsung Hero award, after discussing the nominees. I agree with Beamish on all five of his legitimate choices.

Most Outstanding Player: Jonathan Jennings
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: Sol E.
Most Outstanding Lineman: Jovan Olifioye
Most Outstanding Special Teams: Chris Rainey
Most Outstanding Canadian: Shawn Gore
Most Outstanding Rookie: Antonio Johnson (he is our only starting rookie)

Of course, as Beamish nominates Olifioye for the lineman the award, he also discusses our sack totals and comments "despite Jennings’ predilection to stubbornly stand in and make a play". Huh? Jennings has made incredible plays while standing in there and he also takes off as the CFL's second leading quarterback rusher.

I do not want to put down Travis Lulay. Besides, West Coast Joe will hunt me down if I am. :wink: He had an excellent season for us in 2011 and most of 2012. He is a very good character guy. He was a hard worker as a quarterback and he has always had a positive, team attitude. He has a good relationship with Jennings and has supported Jennings, while playing the role of backup quarterback.

But there is also reality. Lulay was not wanted as a starter by other CFL teams, going into this season. He is paid more as a backup quarterback here in B.C. than he would be anywhere else. He gets paid more as a backup than Jennings gets paid, as a starter, and that is after Jennings renegotiated his contract just before training camp. Lulay is being paid to provide support to Jennings - that was part of his assigned role this season and a part of his pay package.

Lulay was a double threat quarterback when he was healthy. His escapablity and his running were key parts of his game. Lulay was never a cerebral quarterback nor a very accurate passer. Travis only completed 58% of his passes in 2011. His best season, in terms of pass completion percentage was in 2012 (66.5%). He has never thrown over a 65% completion rate in a season since.

In terms of 'mentoring Jennings" anyone who normally 'mentored a quarterback (other than Jennings) to consistently throw deep intermediate or deep would be chastised.

Anyone mentoring a quarterback to throw a lot of jump balls to his recievers would be seriously questioned. Jennings makes those type of plays consistently because he has an incredible arm and can also throw with incredible accuracy. I've been watching CFL football for decades. I've watched a lot of great quarterbacks. Many of those quarterbacks were better quarterbacks than Jennings is yet.

But no quarterback that I've watched, from Russ Jackson to Deitre Brock to Doug Flutie to Dave Dickenson to Anthony Cavillo had or has as good an arm as Jennings. As one CFL writer wrote this season, he is still shocked when he watches Jennings throw. Jennings deep balls are so consistently accurate they still make me shake my head often in amazement.

Lulay was a quarterback who often felt pressure too early. He was also a quarterback who avoided interceptions by throwing out of bounds. Jennings has hardly ever thrown the football out of bounds. Last game was one of the first times he has ever done it. So, if Lulay had been 'mentoring' Jennings well, Jennings would have been more cautious with the football towards the end of games, and throwing out of bounds, if he could, or taking a sack.

Travis Lulay has a terrible 67.1 quarterback efficiency rating this season on a limited number of throws (27). He threw 2 interceptions. He was sacked a number of times. He's ran the football 14 times this season for 24 yds. (1.7 yd. run average).

For all my reasons: Lulay's highly paid role as our backup quarterback and mentor, Jennings type of play, and Lulay's on field performance, he is not my Unsung Hero. Lulay is an experienced backup quarterback, a potential coach in the future, and a character guy. I'm happy he is with us.

My choice for Beamish's non-existent Unsung Hero Award would be Cody Husband.

Cody Husband was never drafted. He played at UBC. He worked his way into our Leos starting lineup at right guard part way through last year, after starting the season third on the depth chart at guard. This season, Husband, who had no pro experience at center, has started every game at that difficult to learn position. He's had to learn a new position, make all the line calls, and has anchored the CFL's top running attack.

My second choice would be Rolly Lumbala. He is definitely 'unsung'. He is inspirational, highly respected, and an outstanding blocker for the run and the pass. He has made key pass blocks this season that have ressuted in big plays.

My third choice as Unsung Hero would be Jabar Westerman. Injured the last two games, Westerman, a National, leads our defensive tackles in sacks (5), defensive tackles (17) and played a lot of nose tackle in our three man pass rush.

For Most Outstanding Player, Manny Arseneaux had had an incredible season and Bryan Burnham has too. Both deserve honorable mention

For Most Outstanding Lineman, Steward deserved an honorable mention. Playing a new position (guard) which is very different from tackle and pined for a number of games (undeservedly so in my opinion) Steward has opened more big holes for our tailback than any other offensive lineman this season. He can make a block and peel off it to get into the second layer. Also deserving is Cody Husband, in his first season as a center, he's done a very good and surprising job.

For Most Outstanding Canadian, Rolly Lumbala deserves an Honorble Mention. He's perhaps had his best season as a Leo. He is a leader, an outstanding run and pass blocker, and plays hard every game.

For Special Teams, one has to mention Jason Aragki, who set a Leo record this season for special teams tackles but honorable mention should also go to Steven Ontco, who leads our Leos in special team tackles (17)
Mike Beamish: You've got to hand it to Lulay, the Lions' nofficial unsung hero

November 1, 2016 5:21 PM PDT

Our criteria for selecting the B.C. Lions unsung hero of the year award is simple: Which player contributed the most with the least amount of ink or web text? Which player was the most underrated? Players who don’t contribute a lot of stats usually fall into that category.

Please accept that there is no such award among the six recognized categories in which B.C. Lions will be named Wednesday to represent their team in the Canadian Football League’s annual prize giving.

The unsung hero is only a consolation prize, a slap on the back, an acknowledgement, and this year it goes to . . . the envelope, please . . . Travis Lulay!

The 33-year-old quarterback, a handyman who is the holder on field goal tries, the short yardage and goal-line quarterback, a locker-room elder who influences the team’s all-over performance in ways practical and spiritual, subtle and unseen, is the most underrated but not under-appreciated Lion of 2016.

“You talk about No. 10’s (Jonathon Jennings) development, and you talk about a guy who didn’t take many snaps (Lulay), and then you talk about a guy who was so instrumental in Jennings’ ability to play the position,” says coach Wally Buono, seconding the nomination. “How much value is there in that? You talk about a guy who is a leader and wants nothing but the best for his team. You talk about a guy with a big heart.”

A former CFL star, playing in the shadow of the younger man he is helping to become one, Lulay has never *beeotch*, sniped, complained or short-shifted anybody, doing great things in the name of team and not self.

So, congratulations Travis, you get an extra helping of pizza after practice this week.

In a season full of surprises — who thought the Lions would be on cusp of finishing at 12-6 with the prospect of a home playoff game on Nov.13? — we’ve tried to sniff out prejudice and tainted judgment in announcing the team’s likely award finalists. Here goes:

Most outstanding player: Jonathon Jennings. Manny Arceneaux can burst through with astounding plays that can turn a game, and Bryan Burnham has exploded upon the scene as the CFL’s most improved player, but without Jennings, the ringmaster, there is no show.

Most outstanding defensive player: Solomon Elimimian. With three player-of-the-week honours, the latest coming Tuesday, and a player-of-the-month citation, the rebounding linebacker is the odds-on favourite to win league’s defensive player of the year award for the second time. “Solly definitely deserves it,” says Adam Bighill. “Solly’s had lots of opportunities to make plays and he’s made ’em (128 defensive tackles, eight sacks).”

Most outstanding Canadian: Shawn Gore. While there is some sentiment for special teams ace Jason Arakgi, who set the CFL career record for special teams tackles, Gore is one catch and one yard away from his best CFL season, 2011, when he had 60 catches for 836 yards. With one game to go, he should surpass that.

Most outstanding lineman: Jovan Olafioye. Switching from right to left tackle, the five-time CFL all-star is the leader of an offensive line that has opened holes for the league’s top rushing attack (111.8 yards per game average) and allowed 32 sacks (third-best in the CFL) despite Jennings’ predilection to stubbornly stand in and make a play.

Most outstanding rookie: Antonio Johnson. As the only rookie starter, the right tackle from North Texas should be a unanimous choice. “It’s never an easy position to play. He’s done a good job,” Buono says. “He’s filled an role, and he’s only going to get better.

Most outstanding special teams player: Chris Rainey. The Rain Man leads the CFL with 2,760 combined yards, which includes close to 500 as a rusher and pass receiver. His 1,310 kickoff return yards in 2016 are second-best all-time for the Lions.
mbeamish@postmedia.com
twitter.com/sixbeamers
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree with Blitz's choice of Cody Husband for unsung hero. He has quietly stepped in to a difficult new position and led a rebuilt offensive line into the league lead in rushing yards.

I would choose Hunter Steward as outstanding lineman. He is also an unsung hero. The B.C. line has been dominant with him in the lineup. It struggled when he was on the bench. The left side, with Steward and Olafioye, is as good as any in the league.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good choices.
Blitz wrote: I do not want to put down Travis Lulay. Besides, West Coast Joe will hunt me down if I am.
Did I get dragged into this praise/slag Lulay discussion? I guess so. Thanks, Blitz. :wink:

Re Lulay ...

2011 CFL MOP. Not a mirage.

2011 Grey Cup MVP. Not a mirage.

B.C. Lions 2011 Grey Cup champions. Not a mirage.

That was then. This is now.

Lulay --> Team first attitude.
“You talk about No. 10’s (Jonathon Jennings) development, and you talk about a guy who didn’t take many snaps (Lulay), and then you talk about a guy who was so instrumental in Jennings’ ability to play the position,” says coach Wally Buono ...
Who knows the extent of the positive effect Lulay may be having on Jonathon Jennings? Wally is in a good position to know. How would JJ be doing with Anthony Calvillo riding the pine behind him?

I will not get into ''unsung hero award'' discussion, although it made an apparently provocative theme for the column. Mission accomplished, Mike Beamish. :thup: LOL

WCJ --> A football fan of both JJ and TL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good choices.
Blitz wrote: I do not want to put down Travis Lulay. Besides, West Coast Joe will hunt me down if I am. ]
Did I get dragged into this praise/slag Lulay discussion? Thanks, Blitz. :wink:

Re Lulay ...

2011 CFL MOP. Not a mirage.

2011 Grey Cup MVP. Not a mirage.

B.C. Lions 2011 Grey Cup champions. Not a mirage.

That was then. This is now.

Lulay --> Team first attitude.

Who knows the extent of the positive effect he may be having on Jonathon Jennings? How would JJ be doing with Anthony Calvillo riding the pine behind him?

WCJ --> Huge fan of both JJ and TL.
I was just having fun WCJ. I know how much you respected Lulay so I worry about saying anything that isn't positive. I also am very aware that you have been very impressed with Jonathan Jennings.

Anthony Cavillo would not have helped Jennings. But Cavillo was never signed to a very lucrative contract to be a backup quarterback and also mentor a young one. It would have been insane for anyone to even think that Cavillo could play that role anyway.

Travis Lulay had his strengths and his weaknesses or tendencies. But he fit my favorite mould for a CFL quarterback - escapability, double threat (pass, run, ability to throw on the run as well as the pocket) mobile quarterback. Its why I favored the Printers, Pierce, Lulay types, and why I also like Jennings. Of course all mobile quarterbacks also have strengths and weaknesses.

In comparing both quarterbacks in their inaugural full seaons as our starter (Lulay in 2011 - Jennings 2016 - as you said that was then and this is now - I see Jennings as the much superior pocket passer and Lulay as the much better runner. With both quarterbacks I always wished they would have been given more bootlegs or at least we had moved the pocket more often for them (eg: set up behind the guard or tackle).

Lulay's penchant to bail a little early and run to his right, giving up ground and throwing out of bounds drove me crazy at times, as you know. Jennings tendency to throw into double coverage late in some previous games was also not wise. But in both cases, they were/are coachable things to change.

Why that didn't happen with Lulay is hard to understand and could have been changed, with coaching,

Khari Jones should have given Jennings some higher percentage pass plays late in games and Lulay should have been helping Jennings better in those situations too, not that Jennings also didn't bear responsibility too. I'm sure Lulay is helping Jennings with identifying defences (you can see that on the sidelines during games) and overall is having a positive effect on Jennings but late game advice seemed to be missing in a number of games this season.

Last game Jennings was much more careful - perhaps overcompensating at times. He took some sacks he would not normally take, rather than throw the football and he also threw out of bounds a couple of times.

I just thought that there were better choices for Unsung Hero, for the reasons I wrote, (that Beamish has been writing this season in a way that gives me a sense he would rather have Lulay as our quarterback -for whatever his reasons - and Lulay has already had a lot of credit in newspaper articles earlier this season when Jennings has played well. But nothing written about our coaching or Lulay, by Beamish, (except trying to create doubt that Jennings should be our starter) when Jennings (and our coaching staff) made mistakes (or Lulay didn't provide Jennings guidance) that hurt us late in some games.

Jennings was given all the heat, by the press and by the coaching staff.

You can't have it both ways.

If we wanted Jennings to attack defense with higher risk throws and then not tell him to change his style late in games or give him higher percentage passing plays, that's just not on Jennings. The coaching staff and Lulay bore some responsibility too, since they either call the plays, guide Jennings, or in Lulay's case - mentor him in those late game situations.

If they are given credit when Jennings plays well then they are part of the equation also, when he made mistakes late in games too. That didn't happen.

In terms of Lulay, WCJ, I hope he can get some reps this game, as I posted. Longer term, I hope Lulay will become a pro CFL football coach. The positive personality and character traits that you respect about Lulay (eg: team player, positive, hard working, leadership qualities) are the traits that will make him a very good coach one day. He could become the next Dave Dickenson, should Lulay choose to go that route in the longer future.

Back to the topic at hand. Great to read B.C. Fan's choice of Hunter Steward at guard. I actually think he is our best offensive lineman but since Olifioye had to switch sides (which is completey opposite in terms of stance, footwork, punch hand, etc.) and that is such a challenge, I gave Olifioye the nod for Most Outstanding Lineman. Pining Steward for a late game penalty and putting O'Neil in his spot for so long, was not a good football decision IMO.

There was no area in the nominees for Purifoy, due to his NFL experience but he has been our best rookie by far, even though he does not qualify.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mike Beamish the new Rod Peterson ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I was just having fun WCJ. I know how much you respected Lulay so I worry about saying anything that isn't positive. I also am very aware that you have been very impressed with Jonathan Jennings.
Not a problem, Bllitz.
Most Outstanding Player: Jonathan Jennings
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: Sol E.
Most Outstanding Lineman: Jovan Olifioye
Most Outstanding Special Teams: Chris Rainey
Most Outstanding Canadian: Shawn Gore
Most Outstanding Rookie: Antonio Johnson (he is our only starting rookie) --
as suggested by Blitz
Good choices.

If he had been left in as starter, Charles Vaillancourt might have been an obvious choice for outstanding rookie.

One gets the sense that the room has very strong, solid leadership. That is a credit to the team leaders, some of them quiet guys. Solly, Biggie, Jabar, David Menard, Ryan, Jason Arakgi, Travis, JJ, Jovan, Rolly, Manny (Ummm, maybe not so quiet Ha ha). Lots of very high character guys. Hard to imagine a better group.

In the playoffs, this fan thinks we have enough talent to challenge for the title. I think that is evident. However, in the playoffs, it seems to me that Xs and Os will take on even more importance. We cannot just trot out the vanilla game plan. And, it seems to me, that we must take an aggressive approach, on offence, defence and STs. Mark W, Khari and Marcello can do it, but they have to go for it, not try to win it with a careful approach.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

If he had been left in as starter, Charles Vaillancourt might have been an obvious choice for outstanding rookie.

One gets the sense that the room has very strong, solid leadership. That is a credit to the team leaders, some of them quiet guys. Solly. Biggie. Jabar, David Menard, Ryan. Jason Arakgi, Travis, JJ, Jovan, Rolly, Manny (Ummm, maybe not so quiet Ha ha). Lots of very high character guys. Hard to imagine a better group.

In the playoffs, this fan thinks we have enough talent to challenge for the title. I think that is evident. However, in the playoffs, it seems to me that Xs and Os will take on even more importance. We cannot just trot out the vanilla game plan. And, it seems to me, that we must take an aggressive approach, on offence, defence and STs. Mark W, Khari and Marcello can do it, but they have to go for it, not try to win it with a careful approach. West Coast Joe
I really wish that we had put Vaillencourt back into the starting right guard spot after he returned from injury. Vaillencourt played very well for this first two games of the season.

I also think we have to go with heavier guards. Calgary has done that and it makes sense. Defences countered the spread offence, inside zone read run with bigger and bigger defensive tackles. Vaillencourt is 332 pounds and he is fast for an offensive lineman odf that size (he has run a 5.16 - 40 yd. dash). He was considered the most pro ready draft choice in the 2016 draft. He was considered by some as the best player in the draft. He had a great training camp.

Kirby Fabian, at 300 pounds, has been ok but not overly impressive. I thought that Dorazio made three decisions this season that were more than questionable. Two got corrected. He put Hunter Steward, who he had benched, back in the starting lineup. It made a BIG difference right away to our running game. Steward blew some linemen right out of their cleats.

The second decision was made by Wally, who finally got fed up with Dorazio's thinking process about Levy Adcock and put Antonio Johnson back in. Dorazio still would not admit his lack of talent assessment and said instead that he 'did not coach Adcock well enough'. We signed him on Dorazio's recommendation and moved Olifioye to left tackle due to that assessment.

The third was not getting Vaillancourt back into right guard, when we had the opportunity to do so.

Like you, I really like the player leadership of this 2016 Lions team. Its really evident, not only on the field but in the dressing room when they hand out game balls.

Your comment WCJ about vanilla game planning in the playoffs is so right on. Wally's record in the playoffs does not match his regular season record and we've lost too many playoff games when we had superior talent due to massive over-conservatism.. Playing smart and playing afraid are too different scenarios. You don't win if you scheme as if you are afraid to lose. Yes, you want to avoid turnovers (B.C. Fan is inculcated into my brain :wink: ) but you can't be too passive, as Buono's playoff teams are renouned for.

Heck, Wally is quite capable of starting Lulay for the playoffs, even though he hasn't started a game this season this season or hardly had any playoff time because Wally wants experience - don't laugh - if Jennings isn't playing well in the first quarter of a playoff game Wally will start to panick and want to put Lulay in there. He'll punt from the opposition 35. He wont' gamble on third and a foot. If Wally would have been in charge of WW11, D-Day would never have happened - too risky.

Either you stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out into the ocean. You don't win very often staying in the shallow end of the pool.
Blitz
Team Captain

Great that Mike Beamish wrote an article on Loucheiz Purifoy, recognizing his contributions, even though Purifoy did not qualify for the Rookie of the Year Award, even though this is his first CFL season.

Purifoy deserves the recognition. He's a very good nickel back, aggressive and tough as nails.
Beamish: Ineligible for CFL rookie award, Purifoy's first season impresses veteran Lions

Although he technically doesn’t qualify as a Canadian Football League rookie, the first-year nickel back has earned an admiring reputation throughout the league for his athleticism, drive and sheer nastiness.

“He’s a great teammate, a great player,” said linebacker Solomon Elimimian. “He’s somebody who plays with so much passion, so much aggression. He brings the ‘it’ factor. He’s a very important cog in this team. The reason why our defence has played as well as it has is because of guys like Loucheiz.”

Elimimian, with a league-leading 128 defensive tackles and eight sacks, is the anchor of that defence, and he appears to be the favourite to win his second CFL player award in that category.

He was one of six Lions nominees announced Wednesday for the individual player awards. Quarterback Jonathon Jennings (most outstanding), wide receiver Shawn Gore (top Canadian), left tackle Jovan Olafioye (lineman), returner Chris Rainey (special teams) and right tackle Antonio Johnson (rookie) were the other choices in voting by the Vancouver chapter of the Football Reporters of Canada and CFL head coaches.

Wally Buono admitted he was surprised not see Purifoy’s name on his electronic ballot.

“Purifoy has had more of an impact,” said the Lions head coach. “I don’t want to disrespect Antonio (Johnson). He’s also had an impact. But I was surprised that Purifoy was not eligible.”

Johnson, a 24-year-old, first-year player from North Texas, stepped into the breach when presumptive starting right tackle Levy Adcock developed pneumonia in training camp. Johnson held down the fort until Adcock was healthy enough to return. When he did, Adcock didn’t play up to expectations and was released in early September, clearing the way for Johnson to resume his starting position.

“He (Adcock) was a major disappointment, in my mind,” Buono said. “Antonio is younger and he’s going to get better.”
Though he was a member of four practice squads in the NFL — Cowboys, Broncos, Steelers and Saints — Johnson met the CFL’s strict eligibility criteria for the “most outstanding first year” player award, i.e. he wasn’t named to the active roster of a CFL club in the previous season. Also, he didn’t dress for a National Football League team in the current year or any season prior to that.

Purifoy won the reserve cornerback battle out of training camp in 2014, was a standout on special teams and suited up for 11 games with the Indianapolis Colts that season. Despite seeing his defensive snaps increasing, he was waived by the Colts for indiscretions unrelated to his ability to play at that level. What he lacked was maturity and insight, though Purifoy says he has learned from his mistakes.

“I feel like a rookie,” he said. “They (veteran Lions) treated me like a rookie, but not like they do in the NFL. They didn’t cut my hair or anything. But I had to go through the initiation. I had to sing a song (at training camp). Of course, I felt like a rookie because I was learning the Canadian game. It may be a technicality, but they had to pick one of us, and it was Antonio.”

The most precocious athlete on the Lions, Purifoy plays with an intensity that falls just short of the edge of rage.
“He’s not a rookie of the year candidate?” asked running back Jeremiah Johnson. “That sucks. I figured he’d be a shoo-in. If he wasn’t playing for us, you’d see a big difference. He practises like he plays. He feels he needs to go and punish you. He’s that intense. He’s an extraordinary talent.”

“I’d put him up against any first-year defender in this league,” Elimimian added. “If you ask any guy on the other side, who they keep their head up for, Zero (Purifoy wears jersey No. 0) is one of those guys.”

The major challenge for the Lions now is how to keep him. At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, Buono admitted: “I’d be shocked if he was still here for more than two years.”

From rook to knight? It’s your move, NFL.

mbeamish@postmedia.com
Blitz
Team Captain

There really should be a new CFL Award for Special Teams

Each year, field goal kickers compete with special team returners and downfield tacklers for the Special Teams Award

Since 2002, there’s been a grand total of two special teams award finalists that were not kickers or returners. Other than or own Jason Arakgi, Hamilton’s Marc Beswick was a finalist in 2013 after making 24 special teams tackles and adding a forced fumble as well as a touchdown on a fake field goal but he was beaten out by Calgary’s Rene Paredes.

We have most Outstanding Player, Most Outstanding Canadian, Most Outstanding Defensive Player, Most Outstanding Lineman, Most Outstanding Special Teams Player, and Most Oustanding Rookie. There is no good reason why the CFL Player Awards could not be expanded.

This would be my choices for categories for the Awards

1. Most Valuable Player
2. Most Outstanding Canadian Player
3. Most Outstanding Lineman
4. Most Valuable Offensive Player
5. Most Outstanding Offensive Player
6. Most Valuable Defensive Player
7. Most Outstanding Defensive Player
8. Most Outstanding Rookie
9.Most Outstanding Returner
10. Most Outstanding Punter/Kicker (pick one if team has both)
11. Most Outstanding Special Teams Tackler

I realize this is an expanded list of awards. The Most Outstanding Player is mostly given to the quarterback position. Presently, the Most Outstanding Player Award is almost always handed out to a quarterback. By going with Most Valuable and a Most Outstanding Offensive Player Award, non-quarterback positions (eg: receiver, tailback) would get recognized more.

By going with a Most Valuable and a Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award, more defensive players would get recognition. By adding two more Special Team Awards, this very important aspect of the CFL game would receive more recognition.

Yes, it would expand the Player Awards to eleven but so what.

More player recognition helps the league, more players are happy, There is more recognition for individual players on each team, more finalists, etc.

For example, on our Leos team it would look like this:

Most Valuable Player - Jennings or Sol E.
Most Valuable Canadian - Shawn Gore or Hunter Steward/Westerman/Lumbala/Husband
Most Valuable Offensive Player - Jonathan Jennings
Most Outstanding Offensive Player - Manny or Burnham
Most Valuable Defensive Player - Sol E.
Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Adam Bighill or Alex Bazzie
Most Outstanding Lineman - Jovan Olifioye or Hunter Steward
Most Outstanding Punter/Kicker - Richie Leone
Most Outstanding Returner - Chris Rainey
Most Outstanding Special Teams Tackler - Ontco or Aragki
Most Outstanding Rookie - Antonio Johnson
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If they haven't already done so, Solly and Biggie need to include Purifoy into Team 100. His jersey number, 0, fits and so does his position on the field as Linebacker/Nickleback.