22,000 Sold for Saturdays Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

David wrote:It's the downtown locations Bob, according to the Lions' Twitter feed. However, a subsequent tweet states "participating" YVR (meaning "Vancouver" - not airport) Tim Hortons while supplies last.

I would definitely call ahead to find out if they're being offered and have any left.

DH :cool:

When did cities begin marketing themselves by their airport codes? I saw a tourism post from Calgary on Facebook promoting the city with the name YYC. Does New York promote itself as JFK, Paris as CDG or London as LHR?
David
Team Captain

I agree with you that it's semi-annoying and creates some unnecessary confusion as "YVR" is not actually in the city of Vancouver, it's in Richmond (see post from Ballistic Bob as evidence). My guess is they did it due to the 140 character limit on Twitter, although I have noticed that it's becoming a more common nickname for Vancouver.

"Vancity" seems to be the most common appellation. "Lotus Land" and "Terminal City" are for an older generation. People today want to abbreviate, which is why Toronto is "The 416" (after its area code), or now more commonly simply "The 6" thanks to the Drake song - which seems to have gained more traction over "TO" and "Hogtown" that, again, are from a generation ago. The only city I know that goes by its airport abbreviation is Edmonton, which I am increasingly seeing referred to as "YEG." Mind you, that's a hell of a sight less hokey than "The City Of Champions." :roar:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar