Why I Love the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I love CFL football. Its so much more exciting than the NFL.

Below are a couple of articles. One features CFL football - its titled The Canadian Game is Both Beautiful and Unique. The second is titled Fewer People Are Watching the NFL Because the Games Have Been Lousy.

They are both worth a read.

The Canadian game is both beautiful and unique
Adam Gagnon/CFL.ca

Canadian football can be strange.
I played it for 10 years and watched the CFL with a close eye from a strangely young age. I’ve spent countless hours either in a film room educating myself on the game or sitting in front of a television hearing Chris Cuthbert and Glen Suitor explain the rules and their implications.

Yet still, once or twice a season, we are served a reminder just how unique our game is.

It’s easy to forget all the intricacies of Canadian football which separate it from or american counter parts. Yes the field is bigger. Yes the field goal posts are at the front of the end zone, but it’s far more than that.

My most recent reminder of how strange and beautiful the Canadian game can be came in Week 17 in Toronto on the last play of the first half.

Argos quarterback Drew Willy caught my eye at first for evading about six different Saskatchewan Roughriders in the pocket. This could have been a headline on its own as Willy has struggled to feel pressure and manoeuvre the pocket since donning double blue, but what followed next was a slice of Canadianity as thick as grandma’s family famous apple pie.

It doesn’t matter what your citizenship says; if you break the line of scrimmage and try to throw the football you will not be successful. Instead of throwing, Willy, realizing all his receivers had run vertically, kicked the ball.

For anyone new to the Canadian game: you didn’t read that wrong. He punted the ball — a quarterback, after escaping the pocket.
Of course, before laying laces to pigskin, Willy did the sensible thing… look around quickly to:

A. Make sure he was not about to get his clock and all relevant time related trackers cleaned.
B. See if anyone was onside.

Sadly, the quality of this play’s end did not come anywhere close to matching the spectacular plot twists and climax of the start and middle.

Receiver Kenny Shaw picked up the ball in a rather confused and seemingly uneducated manner, which of course resulted in a touchdown signal revoked by a ‘no yards’ call since Shaw was forty yards ahead of Willy when he punted the ball away.

Again, for those of you new to the room, any player behind the ‘kicking player’ — be it quarterback, punter or receiver — is eligible to recover the kick and be awarded at the spot of the recovery. Those ahead of the kick are ‘off-side’ and do not have the ability to recover said kick.

A lot of people find explaining these situations and nuances annoying and even embarrassing sometimes. A regular play in the Canadian Football League can at times look like the zaniest thing you ever saw from your favourite 1980’s football follies VHS and that can push people away, but I love it.

It’s who we are. It’s what makes us different. If you’re looking to watch fair catches without exciting returns, there are plenty of places to search that out. If you enjoy seeing teams have no option but to attempt a 65-yard field goal when tied at the end of a game instead of attempting to crush a punt out the back of the end zone for a single point and subsequent victory, you can find that wherever you want.

Drew Willy reminded me that weekend just how random and sporadic our unique plays can look to the uneducated, which reminds me of my only CFL special teams meeting experience.

I was a part of the CIS-CFL quarterback internship program while playing at McMaster University. I travelled to Calgary and sat in on a little bit of every meeting to get a feel for the game and its inner workings.

In the second team meeting, special teams coordinator Mark Kilam got up introduced himself and told the rookies to strap in for five minutes. He proceeded to use game footage as visual evidence of Canadian football’s possibilities.

The Montreal-Toronto kick-out scenario from a couple years ago; no yards; returning missed field goals — it was all put on the table for this new group of CFL blood.

They weren’t sure whether to laugh or cry. I actually had one rookie tap me on the shoulder as the resident maple leaf flag waver and ask me, “is this a joke” in order to validate what he was seeing, to which I calmly responded, “nope, I actually won my grade 12 city high school championship game with that single point on a punt thing.”

No, it’s not a joke. It’s Canadian football and when players laugh and ignore the importance of those meetings, we end up laughing at them for not knowing our rules such as Kenny Shaw on Saturday.

Games can be won or lost based on these crazy situations and coaches would do well to refresh their teams on the rules ahead of the playoffs. Heaven forbid we should have a solid player such as Kenny Shaw make a mistake which decides a team’s season.

I would hate for everyone in Canada to be screaming at their televisions as a player failed to understand our unique rules. Then again, maybe I wouldn’t hate it, because it would remind us all just how different our game can be, and that’s a good thing.
Prime-time duds and 6-6 ties: Fewer people are watching the NFL because the games have been lousy

At the start of the fourth quarter of the NFL’s Monday night game, Houston’s Brock Osweiler performed a one-man play titled “The Problem with the National Football League in 2016.”

OK, not really. What Osweiler did was drop back to pass, cock his right arm, and somehow drop the ball just as he was about to bring it forward. The resulting 10-yard heave to no one in particular looked like an incomplete pass, but was ruled a fumble because Osweiler lost control of the ball before he threw it.

It was a play of such rare ineptness that no one on either side of the ball grasped what had happened, with everyone just assuming the ball was dead, even Denver cornerback Chris Harris, who collected it on a bounce and had a clear path to the end zone. Their confusion was understandable: who drops a ball, untouched, and also manages to throw it 10 yards?

But the Osweiler play, as mentioned, was also a neat encapsulation of this wet firecracker of an NFL season, where key television ratings have dropped significantly and the previously invulnerable shield is showing a few cracks. Many theories have been offered for the decline, but Osweiler’s botching of a routine play underscores the most accurate explanation: the NFL is currently providing a lousy product.

Other reasons have been offered. The presidential election has stolen some audience, which is fair on nights when a debate was directly competing with an NFL game, and less relevant on nights with no live election event. One survey suggested people were less likely to watch NFL games because certain players were protesting racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem.

Those polls, to use a technical term, sound like codswallop: No one has ever watched a football game for the anthem, unless they have wagered on its length in the Super Bowl.

There is a theory that concerns over concussions are finally having a tangible impact, but nothing has happened in the past six months to make that issue any more top-of-mind than it was three seasons ago, when ratings were still booming. And none of those arguments explain why the NFL’s ratings on Sundays are stagnant but have declined precipitously in prime-time hours — double-digit percentage drops on Thursdays, Sunday nights, and Mondays.

People who don’t mind watching men be concussed at 4 p.m. would not suddenly have a problem with it at 8:30.

No, it’s a simpler explanation, and one that can be seen by looking at the NFL’s prime-time schedule through seven weeks. Of the 22 games that were televised in standalone slots, I count five that were compelling match-ups, and that number generously includes Sunday night’s Seattle-Arizona slog, a game that finished 6-6 after overtime.

The teams did not score three safeties apiece, but it would have been fitting. I looked the game up on the NFL’s website just now, and the highlight loop was, honestly: holding penalty, incomplete pass, holding penalty, incomplete pass. Feel the excitement!

It some cases, the appeal of a game was hurt by missing stars — Tom Brady, Cam Newton and Tony Romo have all been out for prime-time games — but in many more, one or both of the teams were just objectively bad. The Chicago Bears have been on prime-time three times already this season. The Chicago Bears are awful. Houston has had three prime-time games and their two best players are J.J. Watt (out for the year) and DeAndre Hopkins (quarterback who drops the ball for no good reason).

One can’t entirely blame the NFL’s schedulers for picking so many prime-time lemons, since there is a such a dearth of great teams. New England, with Brady back from exile, is one. Then, um, Dallas? Minnesota and Denver, maybe, though they are presently led by Sam Bradford and Trevor Siemian (note: actual person). With so many mediocre-to-bad teams, it’s inevitable that at least one of a given week’s prime-time offerings will include a dud.
For the NFL, this is a serious problem, because for years it has built itself into the league of interchangeable parts. The salary cap, and the parity it forced, meant teams were always dropping players, even stars, and picking up replacements on the cheap. Other than the handful of players who were faces of the game, the key selling point was the event itself, that you could tune in to whatever game happened to be on and find a reason to stick around.

Now, the games are much less attractive, and the next generation of stars after Peyton Manning and Brady is hard to identify.

Remember when Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III were going to revolutionize the sport?

There’s something cultural going on here, too. Attention spans are shorter, and there are many other distractions competing with a three-hour game. But this would be much less of a problem for the NFL if the games were, you know, good. The viewership numbers suggest that people are still watching NFL games, but for less time.

The Week 7 prime-time games were a Green Bay blowout of the Bears, the Arizona-Seattle tie and Denver’s dismantling of tall, incompetent Brock Osweiler.

You can’t really blame America for finding something better to do.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnHenry
Champion

Thanks for posting those Blitz. Canadian football is truly a great game, perhaps the greatest in the world! The NFL, what's so great about it? I find the games pretty tame and conservative compared to the CFL. The NFL's biggest problem is their field size or lack thereof. It's a joke the field is so small. The athletes are so good today that ball-carriers get pounded before they can take two steps...so most of the players are huge to take the pounding. Many muscle-bound NFL'ers wouldn't make it through the first week of training camp if they tried out in the CFL, where speed, agility and fitness reign supreme! :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I rather watch college football than the NFL. Far more entertaining. Too many timeouts for my liking.
almo89
Legend

The problem with the NFL is they have too many teams and talent is diluted. Every week, there are some dogs on the schedule. When you get 2 great teams, the games can be very entertaining. CFL games can be brutal too sometimes. It can be a punt fest with nothing going on and the last 3 minutes being way too long when the game is already out of hand. I enjoy both leagues when it comes to the entertaining games.
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Thanks for posting those Blitz. Canadian football is truly a great game, perhaps the greatest in the world! The NFL, what's so great about it? I find the games pretty tame and conservative compared to the CFL. The NFL's biggest problem is their field size or lack thereof. It's a joke the field is so small. The athletes are so good today that ball-carriers get pounded before they can take two steps...so most of the players are huge to take the pounding. Many muscle-bound NFL'ers wouldn't make it through the first week of training camp if they tried out in the CFL, where speed, agility and fitness reign supreme! :thup:
Your welcome John Henry. Good to read you.

I love CFL football. I enjoy almost all sports. I like hockey and baseball and basketball. I like watching the occasional NFL game. I'll often watch the Seahawks play and I'll watch the New England Patriots play, mostly for the strategy, because I believe Bellichick is a brilliant NFL coach.

But nothing beats CFL football. The two games that our Leos played the Bombers, there were more exciting plays in each one of those games, than you could get in full season or more, watching an NFL team.

You wrote that "the CFL football is a great game, perhaps the greatest game in the world".

I couldn't agree more.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I agree with those that say the CFL is a more exciting game than the NFL.

IMO it starts with 3 downs. Teams are forced to go for it. Cannot 'waste' a down. This mindset opens up the game.

Then there is the field. Wider. Longer. More room to move.

Can a football fan ask for more than they see with receivers such as Arceneaux and Burnham? I don't think so.

Can a football ask for more than one sees with a QB such as Jonathon Jennings? I don't think so.

The final two or three minutes can be enormously exciting in the CFL. Holding a lead can be most painful. The clock seems to not move. Come from behind victories happen a lot.

Refereeing? Command Centre? Not much of an issue with this fan. If the refs were paid $200,000 per year, there would still be bad calls, disputed calls. With state of the art equipment, reviews, 10 of the highest level people making the call at Command Centre, there would still be disagreements, and even mistakes. It hasn't always been easy, of course, but this fan tends to roll with the calls at this time. If CFL revenue and salaries, and pay for the officials, were at the level of the four majors: MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL, would fans be happier with the officiating? I don't think so. Room for improvement? Always.

Just IMO, as a CFL fan ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rocko604
Rookie

WestCoastJoe wrote:I agree with those that say the CFL is a more exciting game than the NFL.

IMO it starts with 3 downs. Teams are forced to go for it. Cannot 'waste' a down. This mindset opens up the game.

Then there is the field. Wider. Longer. More room to move.

Can a football fan ask for more than they see with receivers such as Arceneaux and Burnham? I don't think so.

Can a football ask for more than one sees with a QB such as Jonathon Jennings? I don't think so.

The final two or three minutes can be enormously exciting in the CFL. Holding a lead can be most painful. The clock seems to not move. Come from behind victories happen a lot.

Refereeing? Command Centre? Not much of an issue with this fan. If the refs were paid $200,000 per year, there would still be bad calls, disputed calls. With state of the art equipment, reviews, 10 of the highest level people making the call at Command Centre, there would still be disagreements, and even mistakes. It hasn't always been easy, of course, but this fan tends to roll with the calls at this time. If CFL revenue and salaries, and pay for the officials, were at the level of the four majors: MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL, would fans be happier with the officiating? I don't think so. Room for improvement? Always.

Just IMO, as a CFL fan ...
They can't, but how many CFL-bashing, NFL fanboyz are true "football fans". If anything, they're just fantasy-playing Seahawk fans.

These are the same that will bash college too, though they still have it in their heads that a college team could steamroll a CFL team, lol. Ignorance at its finest really.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I rather watch college football than the NFL. Far more entertaining. Too many timeouts for my liking.
Agreed. My football binge-watching happens on Saturday. With my sat dish and about 40-50 CFB games from 9 am til about 11:30 pm, throw in usually 1 or 2 CFL games and a CIS game (I'm not calling it U Sports or whatever dumb name they've come up with), Sunday is a kind of a letdown. It's basically background wallpaper while I'm puttering around the house....or I'm out catching up on errands.

The NFL is very structured, it all sticks with basically the same script. CFB on the other hand offers a wide scope of offensive and defensive styles and young guys who will do crazy things that you just don't see in the NFL. And that's good thing.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I see no reason to dis one league to show support for the other.

Many people enjoy both, and that's ok.

Me, I only enjoy the pros. Too many colleges and too high of a player turnover.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

When comparing the products on the field, I definitely prefer the CFL by a wide margin. A small part of that is the appeal to my pride in being Canadian but mostly it is the objective conclusion that the game is simply more entertaining. End of story.

But what I find the most unappealing...hell, boring about the NFL is the bloated TV coverage that is built up around the games. Seemingly endless panel discussions that say the same thing week in and week out, experts who were good players but just seem to like the sound of their own voice as they prattle on about a whole lot of nothing, TV effects, graphics, etc that scream "exciting" that have been cranked to 11 for so long your senses are pummelled into submission...I could go on.

The whole thing outside the actual game as played by the NFL is, IMO, a pile of BS.

Then when the games are not exciting or less than entertaining, I am left thinking "I will never get that time back" and "wow, did they ever layer the lipstick, eye liner, mascara, etc. on that pig".

Just play the game and call the game. Everything else is bread and circuses.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've been an NCAA fan for over 50 years. There are lots of interesting games each week with implications in conference standings, national rankings and potential bowl games. The football is much more wide open and innovative than the NFL. I don't follow the NFL until late December when the CFL and regular season NCAA games are over and the NFL begins to schedule playoff games on Saturdays.
BC 1988
Legend

Great thread. I agree that the differences in rules and field size between the two leagues are what makes the CFL far more entertaining. My earliest memories of Grey Cups were Sonny Wade and Moses Denson winning in the CNE mud of '70, the Mcquay fumble on the slippery Mod Sod of Empire in '71, then the Ealey rookie year at Ivor Wynne in '72. My dad was an immigrant from England but even though he still followed his Tottenham Hotspurs he became a huge CFL fan mainly due to how much the game resembled Rugby.
At the same time most of my school friends in Toronto were more interested in the NFL with Staubach's Cowboys getting all the attention. I never became a real NFL fan--too many teams and I don't like the unbalanced schedule. These days I mostly watch Seahawk and Patriots games since those are two of my closest friends' teams. One NFL thing I do admire is how many of the teams classic unis are still basically the same. As a result, I find myself drawn to pvr all the Thursday Color Rush contests this season just to witness this staid league lose it's mind. :shock:
Blitz
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:Great thread. I agree that the differences in rules and field size between the two leagues are what makes the CFL far more entertaining. My earliest memories of Grey Cups were Sonny Wade and Moses Denson winning in the CNE mud of '70, the Mcquay fumble on the slippery Mod Sod of Empire in '71, then the Ealey rookie year at Ivor Wynne in '72. My dad was an immigrant from England but even though he still followed his Tottenham Hotspurs he became a huge CFL fan mainly due to how much the game resembled Rugby.
At the same time most of my school friends in Toronto were more interested in the NFL with Staubach's Cowboys getting all the attention. I never became a real NFL fan--too many teams and I don't like the unbalanced schedule. These days I mostly watch Seahawk and Patriots games since those are two of my closest friends' teams. One NFL thing I do admire is how many of the teams classic unis are still basically the same. As a result, I find myself drawn to pvr all the Thursday Color Rush contests this season just to witness this staid league lose it's mind. :shock:
Looks like we both cheer for the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots as our two favorite teams. I think Bellichick is the best NFL coach of all time. He's grumpy, his personality leaves a lot to be desired, and he will do almost anything to win, but he's also a genius in terms of strategy.

What do I like about the CFL game. Just about everything. These are some of my favorite reasons: 1. Size of field 2. Two down football 3. Punt return (five yards rather than fair catch), single rule off field goals 4 . One foot in bounds for receivers making catches 5. 12 men vs 11 men ( not enough CFL fans recognize how much more important this - it makes the CFL game so much more complex than the NFL game 6.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I will add the Waggle to Blitz's list and how the yard off the line of scrimmage works so well with 3 down football because a QB sneak on 3rd and one is doable; NFL 4th and one is not so doable.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I will add the Waggle to Blitz's list and how the yard off the line of scrimmage works so well with 3 down football because a QB sneak on 3rd and one is doable; NFL 4th and one is not so doable.
just wondering, how is it called a SNEAK when everyone knows it is the most likely play?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back