Leos/Eskimos Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish has some interesting post-victory quotes from the Lions on how they turned their game around by establishing the running game and not turning the ball over.

Beamish:
Flawless hanging on to the football, the Lions didn’t defeat themselves. They left that task to the Eskimos, and the visitors weren’t up to the challenge.
Jonathon Jennings on protecting the ball:
“Absolutely, that was my goal coming in,” Jennings said. “That stuff can’t happen anymore. Wally (Buono) talked to the team about it. ‘Just try and play smart.’ If they earn it (turnovers), they earn it. But let’s not give people the game.”
Manny Arceneaux:
“Turnovers get you beat,” said Arceneaux, who had eight catches for 132 yards. “But win, lose or draw, I’m a big fan of Jennings’ game. He’s a guy who’s always ready to bounce back after a loss and capitalize on his opportunities.”
Jeremiah Johnson on establishing the run:
“That’s what it’s all about,” Johnson said. “We’re a running team (the Lions lead the CFL in rushing average). Once we get that going, everything else works. After six turnovers, you come back to the drawing board and say, ‘That’s the point of emphasis we need to work on.’ We all took that to heart. We took care of the ball. And when we do that, and the running game and the passing game are working, we’re unstoppable.”
Hanging on for dear life: No turnovers by Lions in big win over Esks
CardiacKid
Legend

Blitz wrote:Enjoying reading all the posts about our victory.

I believe Manny has been revitalized and motivated by Jonathan Jennings. He knows Jennings has faith in him and will get him the football to make plays. Bryan Burnham worked very hard in the off-season and that is also a factor in his play this year but having a quarterback like Jennings has also enabled Burnham to become one of the CFL's best receivers. Gore also has had a very good season and played with more drive and determination than ever before.

Regarding Jason Maas, he was a bit of a drama queen as a quarterback and he still is. Not mature enough. Knows his offensive football but has a lot of Benny in him. Interesting that those two end up together.

Agree that Bighill had a poor game for his standards. But as I wrote earlier, I really think it detracts from his game when we are using him as both a linebacker and a defensive back. I watched him on one play as a deep safety and Walker turned him around badly. But that is not on Bighill. If we want a two or three deep safety, take Bighill out of the game for those plays and put in Thompson or Parker or Fraser. All can cover deep better than Bighill. We're not fooling the quarterback when he sees Bighill sprinting back into deep coverage before the snap. Bighill is best as a linebacker and an outside blitzer, rather than blitzing inside.

I wish we had used more play action, especially misdirection play action boot legs. With the linebacker focused on Johnson and everyone else either rushing the quarterback, covering man, or playing two deep, there was lots of room for Jennings on the outside to run or have a lot of time to throw on a bootleg. When I saw the bootleg in the game and Jennings start to run, I knew he would have tons of room to ramble. The Eskimos defence gave us that. We could really have exploited it.

It will likely be Jeremiah Johnson in the playoffs. Likely Allen will start next game against the Riders to keep Johnson fresh. I preferred Allen at the start of the year but Johnson is a better cut back player for the inside zone read play that we like to run so much.
In no way meant to knock Anthony Allen but I hope we see Johnson in the playoffs. Have Allen rotate in for the next game, finish off the regular season with Johnson and have him good to go for the semi-finals.
I was pleasantly surprised when the Lions picked up Johnson in free agency; I thought he was amongst the best backs in the league when he went down to injury last year. But I guess for some teams, that injury made signing him a risk.
Despite that, I felt he elevated the RedBlacks when he played and I hoped he would do the same for the Leo's. Yes he is not a powerback in the vein of Allen but I love how he gets small at the line, accelerates into the gaps and then runs large when he hits the next level. Plus he seems like a guy who brings good energy to the club and his team-mates.
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Haven't posted much the last couple of games, just tired of poor reffing calls and even worse League Centre calls costing the Lions opportunities for hard fought wins. Today's game is no different, with the Reilly fumble that Wally lost a TO on. That should have been called by the League Centre under 3 mins as I understand, another epic fail on their part yet again in the favour of the Lions opposition.

Top that off with Wally's conservative approach on 3rd and 1 through his coaching career exemplified in the Number back to back losses. Wally when you're O is moving give them the ball and take it to your opposition, then tonight was I surprised on the 1 + yard 3rd down call. Hopefully this becomes more the norm vs just a situational position on the field, too far for a real high percentage FG attempt, and too close to really use Leone's punting distance to full effect.

Great win that showed the Lions strengths, offense, and ST's. Also the Lions weaknesses on the DL, just not enough QB pressure nor the ability to plug up the run game. Rainey seemed to be slowed down this game as as returner, it may be due to his effective offensive inclusion. Lions may want to keep him primed for the homerun strike as a returner.
Finally the East looks to be the easy route , but the West is shaping up to be Winnipeg then Calgary. I like the payback factor that the Bombers bring to the table for the Lions, and if there is one team that can beat the Stamps it is the Lions and all the pressure will be squarely on the Stamps.
Good to read you Rammer! Don't let those refs and Command Center get to you. Hey, we've seen worse refereeing in the 'good ol days'.

With regard to your comment regarding Wally's 'conservative' approach to third down gambles, conservative is actually the wrong word. Its more of a gamble to not go for the third and one - you take a bigger gamble of losing the game, in the bigger picture. Its fear that drives the decision not to go for it - not conservatism. Wally would rather lose the game than be criticized if we are stopped on a third down gamble, amongst other things. Its not high percentage football to punt in those situations. The good thing is that both of Wally's gambles in this game on third down led to 10 points. Maybe that will give him more confidence to go for it but its hard to change a duck into an eagle.

No question that our defensive line is not up to par. But it was a worry for some of us on Lionbackers before the season started. Our early season success in sacking the quarterback disguised the problem. Bazzie was on fire and Westerman was getting penetration but the rest of our sacks were coming from other players than our defensive line. Our blitzes are not effective these days. The Bighill/Sol E. blitz inside is being picked up easily most games.

This may surprise you Rammer but I don't agree with having Rainey just as a return man. He has made so many important plays for our offence this season and he brings a different dimension to it. There have been some games where our offence has been stuggling and he is the one who has opened it up.

What I would prefer is for us to spell him off on kickoffs or at least have him back there on the kick return team but have Sinkfield catch the football. In the home game against Winnipeg we had Rainey and Sinkfield on the kick return unit. Howeverm Sinkfield did not have a return play in that game as Rainey handled them all. For some strange reason, we were back to Shaq Murray Lawrence on the kick return team last game. Now there is a threat. :thdn:

Having Sinkfield return a couple of kickoffs would help keep Rainey fresher for punt returns and offence. Its much better odds for a big play punt return than a kick return. Sinkfield is burner. His 4.19 time was not reliable but his 4.30 and 4.32 were accurate.

No question that Rainey did not have one of his best games as a returner last game. But Rainey only had 42 yds. on 5 punt returns the time before when we played Edmonton. Their special teams coverage did a good job on him in that game also..so I think its more a measure of their special teams downfield coverage than Rainey being tired. Like Rainey said.. he played tailback full time and also ran back punts and kicks in college. I don't think his limited reps a game is a problem. Other return men in the CFL do the same. Just my opinion though.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Mike Reilly explains the volatile situation between the two teams that developed prior to the game. Audio clip HERE. Wave file is under 2 mins, but is an interesting listen.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Adam Bighill has been fined for his low hit on Mike Reilly.
CFL.CA STAFF

TORONTO — Two players have been fined for incidents occurring in Week 18, the Canadian Football League announced Thursday.

BC Lion Adam Bighill was fined for a low hit to Edmonton Eskimos quarterback Mike Reilly.

Montreal Alouette Winston Venable was fined for leading with the crown of his helmet on a hit to Saskatchewan Roughriders running back Joe McKnight.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill is appealing his $500 fine for the low hit on Reilly.
Bighill received a $500 sanction from the league Thursday for an “illegal” hit on Edmonton Eskimos’ quarterback Mike Reilly — a fellow Central Washington alumnus who recommended Bighill to the Lions when Reilly played for the team. The fine stems from a fourth-quarter penalty on Bighill in the Lions’ 32-25 win over the Eskimos’ last Saturday at B.C. Place Stadium.

Far from accepting culpability, Bighill believes he was the victim and will appeal the levy. Bighill maintains an illegal cut block by Eskimos’ left guard Simeon Rottier, as Bighill was bearing down on Reilly for a possible quarterback sack, made him tumble into the Eskimo QB and draw a roughing-the-passer penalty. The fine added further insult.

“I’m not going to try and hurt a friend (Reilly),” Bighill said. “In fact, I’m not going to try and hurt anybody. That’s never been the way I’ve played. I’m not malicious. I’ve always played fair. And I don’t feel it was fair that I was cut from behind — and I fell. The fact that I fell … there was nothing I could have done. If I sack Reilly, we’re not having this conversation.”

“For this, I’m not going to lose $500 for something I don’t think is right,” he said.
Mike Beamish article
pennw
Legend

I agree with Bighill .he was tripped and Esks should have got a penalty for that too.