Lions popularity and coverage is heating up all across city

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

dtrain wrote:Does the CFL need some sort of official association with the NFL in order to attract some of the youinger demographic?
For example, each CFL team become some sort of farm club for an NFL team?
(realizing the numbers don't match up on number of club teams in each league)
I can't help but think if the Lions had a legitimate connection with the Seahawks, it would boost interest big time.
Just throwing it out there.
I would stop watching altogether if we became a farm team. The CFL shouldn't be seen as an inferior game to the NFL and it makes me sick to my stomach that people like the NFL just because it's American. *frig* that! I have started to get into the NFL a bit more in recent years, but I still much prefer the CFL product from an entertainment perspective.
Roar you Lions roar!
Alputt
Champion

^^^^^This
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Alputt wrote:
dtrain wrote:Does the CFL need some sort of official association with the NFL in order to attract some of the youinger demographic?
I can't help but think if the Lions had a legitimate connection with the Seahawks, it would boost interest big time.
Maybe... But this fan opposes being the "farm team" of any NFL franchise. True north strong and free!

Also what about the other 20 odd NFL teams or what have you, not enough CFL teams to structure like minor league baseball.
X2 How will becoming a farm team for a NFL team attract younger demographics ? It will just reinforce the view that the CFL is a second rate league.
dtrain
Starter

'It's like I said' ;}, just throwing it out there, trying to think outside the box.

Any other ideas to attract and grow a younger and larger audience to CFL home games?
Huge Talent
Starter

Better marketing. For instance, the CFL has a long tradition, more history than the NFL. I don't see the league or the team exploiting this important element. NHL does a great job of this. More lions community stuff - get them out there. Market the hell out of Jennings, Bighill, Solly, The FELIONS! Cheaper tickets outside the coaches sideline. I've mentioned this before, but bring back a retail partner, whether it be 7/11, Safeway, whomever... Perhaps the league can get with McDonalds? and get some cheap tickets in circulation! Endzone seats should be practically given away. $15 at 7/11, or $6.99 with the purchase of a big mac combo.. Get the radio stations to give away a ton of tickets too! promote the game, the team and get butts in seats! They act as though the excitement will create itself... it doesn't. Don't blame demographics, otherwise you wave the white towel because that' s nothing new and it won't change.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sorry, got to disagree wholeheartedly with every fibre of my being. I have no wish to sound dismissive; you have as much right to post opinions and think out loud here as me.

But for myself.....I would turn away from the team and burn my Leo's memorabilia. I would regard that as selling out.

Plus didn't the NFL try a farm team system with NFL Europe?
CardiacKid
Legend

dtrain wrote:'It's like I said' ;}, just throwing it out there, trying to think outside the box.

Any other ideas to attract and grow a younger and larger audience to CFL home games?
IMO the Leo's have to junk the notion of marketing and promoting a "football game" and start with the idea of selling an event that happens to fun. And if they start getting just a little imaginative with ticket packages and prices, they could maybe they could start advertising an event that happens to be fun AND affordable to the average Vancouverite.

The Vancouver Canadians don't bother wasting their advertising dollar placing ads in sport sections or trying to pursue "sports fans". They go after fans by providing a good night out. They go after families by targeting their advertising at moms; mothers tend to decide how a families' entertainment budget is spent.

Stop pursuing the so called CFL fan; they either are already motivated to attend games or watch on their HDTV. Either way, they count as a healthy number to team management.

No, the business management team needs to be revitalized. Skulsky must feel like a dead man walking; he resigns only to be pulled back in. A lame duck leader perhaps? If he had some progressive ideas is there any support to implement them?

I doubt it. Too hidebound, too conservative, too tired and too disorganized to mount any effective promotion IMO.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sorry, got to disagree wholeheartedly with every fibre of my being. I have no wish to sound dismissive; you have as much right to post opinions and think out loud here as me.

But for myself.....I would turn away from the team and burn my Leo's memorabilia. I would regard that as selling out.

Plus didn't the NFL try a farm team system with NFL Europe?
Blitz
Team Captain

dtrain wrote:'It's like I said' ;}, just throwing it out there, trying to think outside the box.

Any other ideas to attract and grab a younger and larger audience to CFL home games?
Got a few. Just thoughts. Some may be crummy but they were just some that quickly came to mind.

First of all, I think our Leos have to offer some free tickets in targeted ways. That notion can bring in extra fans. You gotta spend a little to get this turned around.

-Offer free tickets to a Lions game as part of high school and junior high raffles...good fundraiser for school and promotes Lions
-Free tickets to high school champion teams in numerous sports. .they might buy extra for girlfriend, boyfriend, family members friends to attend with them.
-More single game ticket sales through giveaways

Other ideas include:
-Family sections to encourage women and families to attend.
-Local popular musicians at half time (not military or marchin bands
- use big screen in stadium for special features - its a media world and especially for younger fans
.Ttarget social media focused on younger people.
-Create a junior Lionbackers site
-Do dual targeted marketing with Pizza Hut or MacDonalds, etc.
-Create more atmosphere around the games
-Focus more on female fans with sophisticed offerings on Leos apparal - no more pink it and shrink it :wink:
-Create the Ultimate Fan Girls Guide to Leos football
-Organize Game By Game Promotions with special themes for each game that connect with specific sections of the community
-Design Leos player football cards
-Return the gun metal uniform - it was especially popular with younger fans
-Provide giveaway t-shirts or Leos gear for special events in schools
-Develop a program of Pass Punt Kick for elementary schools with Leo prizes
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnHenry
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:When the CFL has such a great deal with TSN, to the point where Skulsky says they are basically profitable without any gate revenue, it really makes no sense to not lower ticket prices and pack the stadium. Have low ticket prices for children so parents can afford to bring their kids and expose them to the game. Have 2-for-1 7-11 tickets in the end-zone again. There's no reason why we should not be selling out the lower bowl of that stadium, and pushing to open the upper bowl.
That is false. TSN's deal pays each CFL team about $4M. The Lions generates over $8M in ticket sales. I highly doubt Skulsky ever said "they are basically profitable without any gate receipts". Assuming the Lions are a break-even business, without ticket sales the Lions would be losing over $8M per season.

CFL team's expenses average about $22M per season. The $4M the Lions receive from TSN will not push them into profitability, especially if ticket sales revenue is removed from the equation.

I agree the Lions should introduce discounted tickets for kids and students. 2-for-1 tickets in the endzones is also a good idea. While the Lions ticket prices are comparable to other CFL teams, they are too high for the product delivered. Endzone tickets should be around 2 for $39 for adults, all-in...not plus taxes, facility fees and ticketmaster charges. Sideline tickets should also be reasonably priced. The CFL is not the NFL or NHL, ticket prices should be closer to the Whitecaps, I believe.
Dusty
Champion

I think that the Lions should exploit the big screen TV in BC Place. The end zone seats have a "smaller" play/replay screen than the sidelines which may make them less attractive to the casual fan. They should open the upper deck between the 35 yard lines as a "You think you've got a Big Screen? Watch Ours!!" promotion..... Yeah, I know there are a whole bunch of issues with the upper deck, but if the Leo's want to overcome the watch HD at home, they need to make the BC Place screen a bigger part of a watching experience..... Just a thought.....
dtrain
Starter

I also like the idea of changing the seating configuration to closing off end zones, and opening upper deck between the goal lines.
Does anyone know what capacity this would be?
(upper and lower bowl, between the goal lines only)
dawg3648
Rookie

Open up upper deck, tarp off lower bowl endzones (10K) and tarp off end zones and top 10 rows in upper deck. Creates a nice 30K stadium with not a bad seat in the house. http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/s ... 202012.jpg
David
Team Captain

dusty wrote:I think that the Lions should exploit the big screen TV in BC Place. The end zone seats have a "smaller" play/replay screen than the sidelines which may make them less attractive to the casual fan. They should open the upper deck between the 35 yard lines as a "You think you've got a Big Screen? Watch Ours!!" promotion..... Yeah, I know there are a whole bunch of issues with the upper deck, but if the Leo's want to overcome the watch HD at home, they need to make the BC Place screen a bigger part of a watching experience..... Just a thought.....
I actually proposed this in another thread a while back. The massive 68' x 38' centrefield hung scoreboard is a selling feature for sure and more importantly, a difference maker (I still don't think it's used to its proper potential, but that's another story....).

My idea was to create a campaign to get people off their couches and to a live game, featuring the scoreboard and the caption, "The Ultimate Fan Cave."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
dusty wrote:I think that the Lions should exploit the big screen TV in BC Place. The end zone seats have a "smaller" play/replay screen than the sidelines which may make them less attractive to the casual fan. They should open the upper deck between the 35 yard lines as a "You think you've got a Big Screen? Watch Ours!!" promotion..... Yeah, I know there are a whole bunch of issues with the upper deck, but if the Leo's want to overcome the watch HD at home, they need to make the BC Place screen a bigger part of a watching experience..... Just a thought.....
I actually proposed this in another thread a while back. The massive 68' x 38' centrefield hung scoreboard is a selling feature for sure and more importantly, a difference maker (I still don't think it's used to its proper potential, but that's another story....).

My idea was to create a campaign to get people off their couches and to a live game, featuring the scoreboard and the caption, "The Ultimate Fan Cave."

DH :cool:
Sorry Dave, I did not recall your note. It goes to show that everything "old" is "new" again. I think the "fan Cave" approach would be easier to market to the already downtown, urban crowd who are condo dwellers (relatively small sized condo's) within easy walking distance to the stadium. But to do this means a huge perception / marketing shift from old geezer attendees who commute to the games from suburbs and are finding it more difficult to do so as we age to the next generation of attendees.... Has anyone in the Lions front office looked at the number of Kids/families in the downtown area within easy range of short haul transit?..