Lions vs. Bombers Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Huge game for both teams battling for 2nd place and an opportunity to host a playoff game. Only 2 of the Lions win have been against Western opponents. They need to start winning against teams in their conference. Andrew Harris has pronounced himself for Saturday's tilt against his former team. He should be motivated.
Blitz
Team Captain

Here is the Winnipeg Sun's Keys to the Game
RB Andrew Harris (Wpg) vs. LB Adam Bighill (B.C.)

These two were teammates for six seasons in Vancouver, and now they will go head to head for the first time. Harris remembers Bighill's first Lions training camp in 2011. “I hated the guy,” Harris said, “because we'd be in no pads and he'd be giving me a charley horse or stepping on my feet or poking me in the eye.” Imagine what Bighill, who is third in the CFL with 90 tackles, will do now that they're on opposite sides.

2. DB Chandler Fenner (B.C.) vs. SB Clarence Denmark (Wpg)

Fenner is a first-year Lion who is the third player to line up at the boundary halfback spot after injuries to T.J. Lee and Steven Clarke. Saturday will be his third CFL start, and last week the Lions allowed a season high 485 passing yards against the Redblacks. Denmark, who has been more productive than his high priced replacement Ryan Smith, has replaced him this week at the boundary slot position.

3. DE Jamaal Westerman (Wpg) vs. RT Kelvin Palmer (B.C.)
Westerman's production is down this year – he's on pace for seven sacks after registering 17 last season – will be licking his chops at the thought of facing Palmer, who will make his CFL debut on Saturday. B.C.'s regular right tackle, Antonio Johnson, is down with an ankle injury, so it will be up to Palmer to keep Westerman from getting to Lions quarterback Jonathon Jennings.

4. SB Manny Arceneaux (B.C.) vs. DB T.J. Heath (Wpg)

Arceneaux is fifth in league receiving with 1,020 yards, and his eight touchdowns are tied for second best in the CFL. He's hit the end zone four times in the last three games, and Heath will be tasked with stopping him in his first start for the Blue and Gold. Heath has already faced Arceneaux twice this season as a member of the Argos. “I'm kind of anxious to get my hands on him a little bit,” Heath said. “Me and him kind of have a relationship.”

5. KR Chris Rainey (B.C.) vs. Bombers cover teams

Rainey is the league's top punt returner, churning out an average of 15.6 yards per runback, and the Bombers are the best cover team in the three down loop, surrendering an average of 8.1 yards per return. That will make Saturday's special team clashes interesting to watch, as the Lions have used Rainey's skills to produce the league's best average starting point on offence: the 40 yard line.

INSIDE THE GAME

The Bombers are making four changes to their 44-man roster. In are running back Andrew Harris, receiver Quincy McDuffie, defensive back Julian Posey and linebacker Justin Warden. Out are linebacker Ian Wild, suspended defensive back Bruce Johnson, defensive tackle Brandon Tennant and running back Pascal Lochard.

The Lions are making two changes to their roster. In are receiver Shaquille Johnson and right tackle Kelvin Palmer, who will take the place of receiver Shawn Gore and right tackle Antonio Johnson.

B.C.'s Richie Leone is the CFL's best punter, averaging a whopping 50.1 yards per boot ... The Bombers have fallen behind by at least 10 points in three consecutive games.

The Lions are the least penalized team in the CFL, while the Bombers are coming off a season high 15 penalties for 166 yards against the Eskimos.

B.C. is 5-2 on the road, while Winnipeg is 3-4 at home ... Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols is 1-1 in his career against the Lions, while Lions pivot Jonathon Jennings is 0-1 versus the Blue and Gold ... The Bombers won five games last season, and two were against the Leos.

Five Key Story Lines

1. The Playoff Picture
It's pretty simple: If the Bombers want to even think about second place in the West Division they have to win this game. A Lions victory would move Wally Buono's crew four points up on the Bombers with a game in hand, making it all but impossible for the Blue and Gold to have a home playoff date for the first time since 2011. The Bombers will clinch a playoff berth this weekend if they win, and the Argos and Alouettes both lose. B.C. can clinch its 20th consecutive playoff berth with a triumph.

2. Harris vs. the Lions
Bombers running back Andrew Harris spent six seasons with the Lions, winning a Grey Cup with them in 2011 against Winnipeg, and Saturday will be his first game against them since signing with his hometown team in February. It will also be his first contest since injuring his right ankle in the Banjo Bowl on Sept. 10, so expect No. 33 to be running with even more of a purpose than usual.

3. Tsk, tsk
The Blue and Gold racked up 15 penalties for 166 yards in last week's 40-26 loss to the Eskimos, which included Jesse Briggs' illegal block on Kevin Fogg's 40 yard punt return score. It was the fourth time this season Fogg scored a touchdown with help from a penalty, so he's still looking for his first. The Bombers probably would have lost last week without the infractions, but they will have no chance against the Lions if they continue their undisciplined play.

4. Contenders or pretenders?

The Bombers have taken advantage of their schedule so far this season, winning the games they should have won. They've also lost the games they should have lost, too. The Lions are clearly the second best team in the league this year, and the Bombers are 0-3 against the best squad, the Calgary Stampeders. A victory over the Lions would serve notice the Bombers can run with the league's big boys.

5. Heat on at home

The Bombers are 3-4 at Investors Group Field this year, and a setback on Saturday would guarantee a losing home record for the fifth consecutive season. The Bombers are averaging 26,149 spectators this year, but four of their contests have featured fewer than 25,000 people. It's unlikely they'll be over that mark on what is expected to be a cool Saturday afternoon, even though it's a huge clash with playoff implications.

SICK BAY

Winnipeg
DB Bruce Johnson (suspended), SB Darvin Adams, LB Ian Wild, CB C.J. Roberts, SB Gerrard Sheppard, LB Teague Sherman, S Macho Harris, RT Paddy Neufeld, S Brendan Morgan

B.C.
RT Antonio Johnson, DB T.J. Lee, WR Shawn Gore, SB Nick Moore, CB Ronnie Yell, DB Steven Clarke, DT Bryant Turner

HOT

Lions receiver Manny Arceneaux had a season best 164 receiving yards and two touchdowns two weeks ago against the Eskimos. Last week he added 64 yards and a score against the Redblacks.

COLD

One week after recording a season best 95 receiving yards, Bombers slotback Ryan Smith mustered just five grabs for 28 yards in last week's loss to the Eskimos.

MILESTONE MAN

Bombers slotback Weston Dressler requires 98 yards to move past Eddie Brown and into 29th spot on the CFL's career receiving yards list with 8,664.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos go into this game averaging 404 yds. per contest. The Bombers offence averages 370 yds. of offence. The Bombers offensive average yds. per game was impacted by their slow start with Willie at quarterback.

On defense, our Leos give up an average of 297 yds. per game. The Bombers average 288 yds. per contest.

When one combines the offensive and defensive stats, our Leos have a 25 yd. advantage for the contest. So its very close between both teams statistically.

It should be an exciting game with an explosive Leos offence taking on a dangerous Bombers defense.

But perhaps the key to the game will be how our Leos defence plays against the Bombers offence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
squishy35
Legend

Blitz wrote:Our Leos go into this game averaging 404 yds. per contest. The Bombers offence averages 370 yds. of offence. The Bombers offensive average yds. per game was impacted by their slow start with Willie at quarterback.

On defense, our Leos give up an average of 297 yds. per game. The Bombers average 288 yds. per contest.

When one combines the offensive and defensive stats, our Leos have a 25 yd. advantage for the contest. So its very close between both teams statistically.

It should be an exciting game with an explosive Leos offence taking on a dangerous Bombers defense.

But perhaps the key to the game will be how our Leos defence plays against the Bombers offence.
I believe Blitz, that the tangible difference in the Lions greater success in the win column has been help immensely by the consistent great field position a la Rainey's speed and athleticism and Leone's great season Punting the ball.

I am excited to see Rainey get more and more touches on offence and I look to Sinkfield to have a breakout game soon with his speed an versatility. If BC can sweep the home and home series in the next two weeks, it will essentially solidify the WSF at BC Place.
pennw
Legend

squishy35 wrote:
Blitz wrote:Our Leos go into this game averaging 404 yds. per contest. The Bombers offence averages 370 yds. of offence. The Bombers offensive average yds. per game was impacted by their slow start with Willie at quarterback.

I believe Blitz, that the tangible difference in the Lions greater success in the win column has been help immensely by the consistent great field position a la Rainey's speed and athleticism and Leone's great season Punting the ball.

I am excited to see Rainey get more and more touches on offence and I look to Sinkfield to have a breakout game soon with his speed an versatility. If BC can sweep the home and home series in the next two weeks, it will essentially solidify the WSF at BC Place.
I agree squishy with you on the fieldposition battle we win most games due to Leone's punting . Seems to me many have started to take 50+ yd punts with tremendous hang time for granted and long forgotten Paul Macallum and his 30 yd punts. When was the last time we had to concede a safety when inside our own 20 ? Now we just ask Leone if he can put one 60 yds down field , ok , no problem . How can anyone forget all the shanked punts Mcallum gave us when ever we were inside our 20 ? And then those usually ended up with a no yards penalty giving our opponent the ball inside our 30. Yes the guy has missed a few FGs and converts but he is still a better FG kicker than Lui Passaglis was , or many of the"greats" of the past , and by far the best punter in the league who has gotten us out of trouble all season long when we have been pinned deep . Soon he will be in the NFL and then will we go back to another sub 40 yard punter again ?
green road kill
Rookie

HUH, SAY WHAT,BETTER THAN LUI ?
Not in this life time or the next,not on a CFL feild,an NFL feild, or a wheat feild.

Lui played this game for 25 years , and in his prime( and I don't think you relize how long that prime was) was simply the best.To comparehim to todays kickers, a flash in the pan would be 5 years. When one off today's kickers can put up the numbers he did for 20 of those 25 yrs we'l talk.
Rodu
Champion

I think Paul was a better place kicker than Lui
Blitz
Team Captain

I don't take Leone's punting for granted. When a punter is averaging 50.1 yds. per punt, its not something one should take for granted. Leone will likely be in the NFL next season as a punter.

But Leone's punting and the field position average he gives us per game is not as great as some may think. Leone's high, booming punts impress but the field advantage is not as much as some may think it is.

For example, Fera is averaging 47.3 yd. per punt, and Maver (47.1 yds.), Maher (46.7) also have good punting averages. The overall CFL punting average this season is 46 yds.

Leone averages about 5 punts per game. Leone gives us an advantage of approximately 20 yds. per game of field position over the CFL average.

But when it comes to net punting the field position advantage of Leone is reduced. Our net punting is 38.6 yds. per game (best in CFL). Maher has a 36.5 net punt average and Medlock has a Maher a 36.3 net punt average. The CFL overall net punt average is around 36.0 net yards. Based on CFL punt averages, Leone gives us an advantage of 3.6 yds. per net punt or approximately 18 total yards advantage of field position per game.

Leone is not a good directional punter. He leads the CFL in singles by a wide margin, with many of those punts being attempts to pin the opposition inside its own 20 yard line and not being successful. Those also add to Leone's average, because directional punting reduces a punter's average per punt, sometimes significantly.

Leone is the worst percentage field goal kicker in the CFL at 71.4%. (and it only went over 70% after our last game). No other CFL field goal kicker is averaging less than 82%. Sean White has hit 92.5% of his field goals this season and Paredes (88.5%) and Hajrullahu , Crapigna, and Medlock have all hit over 85% of their field goals. The CFL average field goal percentage this season is approximately 85%.

Leone has the worst field goal percentage in the CFL inside the 40 yd. line, from 40-49 yds and outside the 50, where he has been unsuccessful. Every other starting CFL kicker has hit at least one outside of 50. Maher has kicked 6 field goals this season longer than 50 yards and Medlock, Milo, and Hajrullahu have hit 3 or more field goals outside of 50. Leone has 0 field goals outside of 50.

In terms of lost points from field goal attempts, those missed attempts have cost us 30 points. If we take his two missed attempts outside of 50 yards, its 24 points lost. Leone only has 9 attempts in the 40-49 yd. range.

Paul McCallum joined our Leos in 2006 and played to 2014. He was a West All-Star in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2014. He was a CFL All-Star in 2010 and 2011, the Grey Cup Most Valuable Canadian in 2006, and won the CFL Special Team Award in 2011. McCallum held the record for longest CFL field goal (62 yds) up to 2012. He was an incredible field goal kicker for our Leos at playoff time. McCallum was 6/6 in the 2006 Grey Cup game and only missed one field goal in all the playoffs games he kicked for us.

McCallum connected on 28 field goals in a row from 2009-2010. In 2010 McCallum was named our Leos Most Outstanding Player, the first time a kicker was given that honor in Leos history. In 2011 McCallum set a record of kicking 30 field goals in a row, only broken b Paredes 31 in a row two years later. In 2011 McCallum made 50 of 53 field goal attempts, for 94.3% accuracy.

In 2012 McCallum hit 44 of 52 field goal attempts and in 2013 he connected on 28 of his 33 attempts. In 2014, McCallum's last season with our Leos hit 38 of 42 attempts (90.5%) to lead the league. Not a bad way for a kicker to retire in his 40's.

We've had some very close games this season and in some of those games, it would not have been so close that Leone been more accurate. Wally also has chosen to punt between the 45-49 yard line, in some games, rather than have Leone attempt a field goal.

As for McCallum's punting he was a good punter and an incredible directional punter into his 40's. In 2013 our Leos, with McCallum's advancing age, wanted McCallum to only kick field goals. We tried O'Neil as our punter and then Ricky Schmitt mostly punted for us in 2014. McCallum only punted 18 times in 2014 and he should not have been punting at all at the age of 44.

So I don't believe that "the tangible difference in the Lions greater success in the win column has been helped immensely by the consistent great field position due to Leone's punts. It's helped but his field goal kicking has almost cost us some close games.

But I certainly do agree that Rainey's punt returning, combined with his additions on offence have made a very tangible difference.
Rodu
Champion

American punters seem to be less directional punting orientated and more hang time get the fair catch trained
Blitz
Team Captain

One of the key story lines in this game today between our Leos and Bombers is that Andrew Harris will play his first game against our Leos, now that he is wearing the Blue and Gold.

Some interesting facts about Harris leaving B.C. are coming out. For example, Wally tried to sign him mid-season last year and gave him a substantial offer, which Harris countered but Harris decided to look at free agency.
Mid-season, last year, they (Lions) offered a contract,” Harris explained. “I talked to my agent. I realized I was going to be a free agent for the first time. Part of me wanted to entertain that, to see what’s out there. I did counter back. The (Lions) offer was substantial. A number of different factors (came into play). I wanted to be close to my daughter. At the end of the day, it wasn’t just contract. It was more than that.” Vancouver Sun
It also appears that Harris end of season comments also were a factor in Buono not wanting to sign Harris for this season.
Last November, at the centre of a post-season media scrum inside the Lions’ locker-room in Surrey, Harris expressed his “frustration” over a losing season and the way he was used, even though he led the CFL in yards from scrimmage and touches.

GM Wally Buono criticized him for airing his beefs publicly and casting a “negative” light on the locker-room. Both maintain today that the tiff was overblown.

“I think there should be a rule that the media is not allowed in the locker-room the next day (after the season ends),” Harris said Friday, half in jest. “You’re emotional, you’re frustrated. And sometimes you say things and they come out the wrong way. Definitely, after talking with Wally the next couple of days, it was a different tone, a different tune. But that’s in the past. I’m worried about now, the present.”
I have often thought that Harris 2011 season, when we went on such a huge winning streak after Harris was inserted into the lineup, the fact that he won the Most Outstanding Canadian in the Grey Cup game in his first season as a starter, and his immense popularity, due to being a National starting tailback who had played Junior football in Nanaimo, as well as his contributions to our offence, got into Harris head too much.

He moaned and complained every season about his role. Yet he was the center pieice of our offence. He had his best seasons under Chapdelaine and yet went over Chap's head to complain to Benevedes. In 2011 he was used as both a rusher and a receiver with impressive results. 2012 he rushed for 1,112 yards on 192 attempts for a 5.9 average and caught a mind blowing 75 receptons for 718 yds. In 2013, he rushed for 998 yds and a 5.0 average and caught 61 for 513 yds. in a Lulay injury plagued season.

In 2014, under Khari Jones, he only started 12 games for us due to being injured for part of that season. He had 122 attempts for 652 yds. and a 5.0 run average. He also had 46 receptions for 529 yds.

In 2015, under Cortez, Harris was given 222 attempts to rush the football. He rushed for 1039 yds. and a 4.7 yd. average while having 53 receptions for 485 yds. and he was very unhappy about his role.

Our two International tail backs have done a good job for us this season. But I sometimes think that the past contributions of Harris on the playing field have sometimes been minimized. He was an excellent tailback whose combined yards are very, very impressive. He was a good runner and an outstanding receiver out of the backfield.

Obviously, Wally wanted to get Harris signed again last season. Happy that its worked out for our Leos, the Bombers, and Harris this year.

Harris and Flanders have combined for 939 yds. of rushing for Winnipeg. Johnson and Allen have combined for 906 yds. for our Leos. Not much difference in rushing results.

In terms of passing to our tailbacks out of the backfield, Harris has 381 yds. of receptions and Flanders has 145 yds. for a combined total of 426 yds.

Allen has 86 yds. in passing receptions while Johnson has 83 yds. of receptions for a total of 169 yds.

Our International tailbacks, this season not the threat in the passing attack that Harris and Flanders are in Winnipeg. Its something that was lost when Harris left for Winnipeg. Its also something we should add some more of to our passing attack because it forces the defense to have to be concerned with the tailback in the passing game and helps open up our receivers. The tailback being utilized in the passing game also provides a good anti-blitz option.

But what we do know now, is that Buono really tried to get Harris signed mid-season last year, with a substantial offer. We now know that Buono did not want to go to an International tailback or tailback system at that time.

We know that Harris countered that offer and then things were left until the end of the season, and then things changed after Harris made his post-season comments
pennw
Legend

green road kill wrote:HUH, SAY WHAT,BETTER THAN LUI ?
Not in this life time or the next,not on a CFL feild,an NFL feild, or a wheat feild.

Lui played this game for 25 years , and in his prime( and I don't think you relize how long that prime was) was simply the best.To comparehim to todays kickers, a flash in the pan would be 5 years. When one off today's kickers can put up the numbers he did for 20 of those 25 yrs we'l talk.
Sorry dude , check the stats . And I mean so far , not for a career. Lui in his early years had a much lower FG% than Leone , as did many of the "greats" . Most years Lui's FG percentage was in the 60% range Or 70% . His Last year was far better than his career and that was a 90% year only one time ,which brought his overall up to into the 70% range , where Leone sits after only his second year kick field goals . Both Lui and Paul were rarely asked to kick longer FGs that are expected today . Paul was frequently asked to punt if it was much beyond 40 yds. And then he was a good punter, when it was form the opponents side of the field, not so good when it was from our end. Lui frequently had some one else do the Kick offs because he could not kick far enough. Guys who weren't even kickers did those for us during the Passaglia era. Guys like Jan Carinci or the guy who was also a firefighter , his name slips my mind right now, did them for years. It's just that the standards have gotten higher , I don't think many "greats" from the past would make the team now in the CFL. Back in the 70's a guy named Dave Cutler was a legend with the the ESKs with a career FG average of 54 % .
I suggest you read fellow CFL kicker , (a guy who is certainly qualified to assess kickers ) Justin Medlock's opinion on Leone that was featured in a Province article .
Rodu
Champion

What did Medlock have to say?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

1st turnover of the game. Interception by Bighill
Alputt
Champion

Nice play by Bighill I hope it doesn't come back on challenge... it did. Boo.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Turnover nullified by penalty