Lions Close to Being a Champion Team? How Close?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

How close are our Leos to being a championship team, and if they are, who close?

It\s a question Ed Willes asks? He sees our defence, rather than our offence to being close to a championship level. Based on stats,Willes sees us basically as an average or middling offence and a good defence.

What do you think? Are we close and if we are, how close?
Ed Willes: Lions close to being championship team, but how close?
Ed Willes

Published on: October 6,

Wally Buono once won a Grey Cup with an 8-10 team and Marcus Crandell as his quarterback, so when he’s asked if the 2016 B.C. Lions are good enough to hoist the chalice, you shouldn’t be surprised by the answer.

“Yes,” the Lions boss said Thursday on a cold, grey day in Surrey. “I’ve won championships with lesser teams than this.”

The problems with the current edition of the Leos, however, are twofold.

First and foremost, there is the consideration of the Calgary Stampeders, a team which has lost one game this season and slapped down any threat to its authority in violent, convincing fashion. The question, therefore, isn’t are the Lions good enough to win a championship so much as, are they good enough to beat the Stampeders?

As for the second issue, well, that’s also an easy one to identify. In the last two games, the Lions defence has surrendered 980 yards in offence. True, most of their defensive numbers on the season are respectable, but they’ve also  demonstrated a disturbing proclivity to surrender the big play, and that trait isn’t exactly consistent with a championship-quality team.

The Stampeders, if everything goes according to script, won’t be a consideration until the Western final for the 9-4 Lions. But that defence is going to be under scrutiny over the Lions’ final five games of the season, starting with a crucial Saturday afternoon meeting in Winnipeg against the Blue Bombers.

“I don’t know how many games I have left, and I want to maximize this opportunity,” said 11-year man Ryan Phillips, the leader of the secondary. “I feel like we have a lot on this team. But if you’re not executing at this point in the season, especially against these good teams, you’re going to get whupped.

“There’s a reason they say defence wins championships.”

Phillips has since calmed down after the Lions’ defensive performance against Ottawa last Saturday but, following their 40-33 win, in which they surrendered 543 yards in offence to the RedBlacks, he wasn’t quite as measured. He railed about the lack of discipline in the Lions’ coverage structure. He was also livid at the unit’s inability to understand basic situations.

In the fourth quarter, for example, the RedBlacks lined up with four receivers to the wide side of the field and sent speedster Chris Williams by himself to the short side. At that point, everyone in B.C. Place should have known where the ball was going, but Williams still turned a 10-yard completion into a 68-yard catch-and-run with the aid of sloppy tackling.

It was also his second 68-yard gain of the night.

“That’s just understanding the game,” Phillips said. “You’ve got to understand they’re putting him out there for a reason.”

Still, it’s a funny thing. There’s a perception the Lions are an offensive machine who’ve managed to outscore their defensive problems this season because of quarterback Jonathon Jennings and his colleagues.

But the CFL stats tell a different story. The Lions lead the league in rushing, but are middle of the pack or lower in most of the other offensive categories.

On defence, they’re top three in most areas but there are a couple of flashing red lights: They’re eighth in average yards per completion and tied for sixth in big plays allowed (runs of 20 yards or more, passes of 30 yards or more).

“What you say isn’t surprising,” Buono answered when his defence’s shortcomings were helpfully pointed out. “ But, other than the last two games, we were fine. We played against two exceptionally skilled teams (Edmonton lit up the Leos for 437 yards two weeks ago) with a secondary that’s been overhauled. When we’ve had our issues it’s been coverage breakdowns.”

Ah, yes. The overhauled secondary. In a purrfect world, the Lions would have gone through this season with the emerging tandem of Ronnie Yell and T.J. Lee playing the short side, and Steven Clarke in the mix somewhere. All three, however, are out with injuries, throwing Anthony Gaitor (six games with the Lions in his CFL career) and Chandler Fenner (three games) into the meat grinder.

“You lose three guys like that, it’s going to affect you,” said defensive coordinator Mark Washington. “There’s no way it won’t.”
But Washington is conceding nothing this season. Alex Bazzie is still second in the CFL in sacks. Solomon Elimimian and Adam Bighill are 1-3 in tackles. Mic’hael Brooks might be the best interior lineman in the league.

That’s a pretty good start. But can they finish against a team like the Stampeders?

Washington was asked if he has a championship-calibre defence.

“Yes, he answered emphatically. “We have all the components you need. We play fast and physical. This is a defence that can win a championship.”

Maybe in most years. We’ll see about this one.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rodu
Champion

A healthy TJ Lee and Ronnie Yell away
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rodu wrote:A healthy TJ Lee and Ronnie Yell away
Add Clark to that list and I am in agreement that the lions become a championship defense. But with those guys out and needing to go up against a strong Bomber and super strong Stamps team...... :cr: :cr:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It was on one of the podcasts from the last 72 hours but Wally made a comment that I can't disagree with. Paraphrasing here but he said the Lions are not yet where he believes they need to be, which is obviously championship calibre. In his opinion the biggest thing that separates the Lions from Calgary is that the Stamps, as championship teams do, are playing consistently well in all 3 facets of the game; offence, defence and special teams. The Lions are not. They have spurts within games where all facets may be playing well but not consistently for all 60 minutes one game to the next.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:It was on one of the podcasts from the last 72 hours but Wally made a comment that I can't disagree with. Paraphrasing here but he said the Lions are not yet where he believes they need to be, which is obviously championship calibre. In his opinion the biggest thing that separates the Lions from Calgary is that the Stamps, as championship teams do, are playing consistently well in all 3 facets of the game; offence, defence and special teams. The Lions are not. They have spurts within games where all facets may be playing well but not consistently for all 60 minutes one game to the next.
Been few games this season where both our offence and defence both played well at the same time. Our field goal kicking is not championship caliber either.

I believe we have enough talent on offence, with the addition of Sinkfield to be championship caliber. I like our offensive line, our receivers, quarterback and tailbacks. Jennings is an incredible talent who is gaining experience. But when one looks at the talent of our Leos team, since 2003, we don't have an impressive playoff record. A major reason is that our spread offensive scheme has often been predictable for the playoffs. Jones added some plays last game and they all worked.

Defenses will play us man/cover 2 and shut us down unless we add some horizontal pass plays and some high percentage plays to our arsenal.

Overall, our defense has outplayed our offence this season but I still think it has too many weak spots. We need a more impactful Brooks at tackle. Roh has been solid but not spectacular. Our International rotational defensive end have done almost nothing. Fenner and Gaitor have only played a handful of games. Stewart and Edem really need to step up their play.

Hopefully, our defense, which has almost given up 1,000 yards of offence in the last two games will get it back together more.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

They're the second best team in the league, but there are a couple other teams that are very close, while the best team is miles ahead. In a single elimination game, anything can happen, but the odds are not great. Still better than 7 other teams though.
Rodu
Champion

I wonder if Brooks is playing hurt, as he's been invisible much of the season. So we're a healthy Brooks away too
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions are an improved team from last year. They are far from being a championship caliber team. Lack of pass rush. Alex Bazzie had a hot start but has tapered off in recent games. Lack of a consistent field goal kicker. It's an adventure watching Leone kick converts let alone field goals.
almo89
Legend

About 4 or 5 weeks ago, during the post game show with Jeff Patterson, he said that this team is in a learning year. Meaning he doesn't think this team will win the cup, but will make huge leaps into building a championship team. I agree with him as we see the team have glimpses of greatness. Lately the defense hasn't been able to play at championship level.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Not this season. But things have improved from being happy to keep the playoff streak alive to being happy with a home playoff game. So that's progress.

A healthy secondary and a larger offensive playbook would help considerably. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and bring in a dedicated field goal kicker as well.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Explosive passing game. Credit to Jennings' amazing skills and some outstanding receivers, Arceneaux, Burnham, Gore.

Running game not always robust, dependent on playbook, play calls and blocking. RBs are very good at running. We miss Harris in the short passing game.

Pass protection is suspect. Blocking skills and pass protection concept not at the top, methinks.

Kicking game is suspect.

STs are vulnerable as we see with the fake field goal. Rainey is a huge talent, but other teams have talented returners also.

Defensive Line is suspect. International talent is nowhere near the level of the top teams. National talent seems top drawer to this viewer.

DBs have been remarkable, in view of the many injuries, but now somewhat suspect, when we do not get pressure up front.

Solly and Biggie were taken out of the game with game planning and play calling. Detailed, effective game planning. Biggie at deep safety? :dizzy:

Mark W seemed to have raised his game. Not so much anymore.

Khari Jones has not shown much in the way of building a diversified attack.

All in all ... anything is possible with our passing attack. The odds are against us.

Calgary at the top.

B.C., Winnipeg and Edmonton in a bunch. Saskatchewan coming on. They could no doubt challenge us now.

The East seems to be in some disarray. Toronto showing some effect of years of uncertainty. Hamilton showing some dysfunction. Ottawa might be the best over there. Montreal trailing the pack.

So, we have a chance, but a slim one.

IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Not sure how much the Lions are up against the salary cap but disappointing to see a proven DE like Willie Jefferson be available and the Lions show little interest when there clearly needs to be an upgrade.

One of Wally's big off-season decisions will be whether he retains Lulay as a rather high-priced back-up when Jennings has continued to make significant progress this season and proven to be very durable (fingers crossed) as well. Would have to think his $200,000 plus salary could be used elsewhere until Jennings is due for the marquee QB contract in the next couple of seasons.
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Not sure how much the Lions are up against the salary cap but disappointing to see a proven DE like Willie Jefferson be available and the Lions show little interest when there clearly needs to be an upgrade.

One of Wally's big off-season decisions will be whether he retains Lulay as a rather high-priced back-up when Jennings has continued to make significant progress this season and proven to be very durable (fingers crossed) as well. Would have to think his $200,000 plus salary could be used elsewhere until Jennings is due for the marquee QB contract in the next couple of seasons.
I am really upset that we didn't bring in an NFL cut to replace Allen or Hudson at defensive end or bring in a really talented nose tackle type.

Like you, I agree that Lulay is very expensive. He is being paid more as a backup than Jennings is being paid as our starter. I understand why we wanted Lulay for this season as our backup quarterback. But going forward, one has to at least ask the question. I think Wally will choose to keep Lulay as our backup next year and maybe even beyond that,

I think we would be wiser to develop a younger quarterback behind Jennings for next season and beyond and create a quarterback coach position for Lulay to begin the transition to Lulay's future coaching career. I'm guessing that there will be Leo fans who will want Lulay to continue to 'mentor' Jennings but I don't think Jennings will need that beyond this season. I don't think he even needs that now.
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I am really upset that we didn't bring in an NFL cut to replace Allen or Hudson at defensive end or bring in a really talented nose tackle type.
We just signed a DT today, Blitz. He is 24-year old Demetris Anderson, a 6'1" and 312lb undrafted rookie from University of Central Florida who was released from the Packers camp. He missed all of the 2015 season with a knee injury.

While this signing could be for next year, I think it's a tacit admission that our pass rush has to be better. The interior of our line has not been effective lately IMO. For whatever reason (likely the lingering effects of the knee sprains), Mich'ael Brooks has not been able to shed blocks; certainly not like he was doing in 2015 and the very early part of this year. Westerman has only been 'okay' too. Their pressure early this season allowed Bazzie to pin his ears back. That's no longer happening.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions need to have one starting National on the D line. I would like to see that Nat. be Menard at DE, Bazzie at the other DE, and Brooks and Turner as the DTs, with Roh, Westerman and Forde as rotational guys.