RedBlacks vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions have feasted against Eastern opponents this season as 6 of their 8 wins have come against them. Tomorrow they face their last Eastern opponent of the year (unless it's in the Grey Cup) the Ottawa RedBlacks. Lions have not lost 2 consecutive game this year. Hope the trend continues. Looking forward to bounce back game.
Blitz
Team Captain

Eskimos beat the Bombers tonite. That helps in the race for second place in competition with the Bombers.

However, Edmonton is starting to look good and will only be 2 points back of our Lions if we don't defeat the Red Blacks. (but we will still have a game in hand.

We will be playing the Eskimos and the Bombers over the next three weeks. It's going to be an exciting and potentially an anxious time in this last stage of the regular season.

A win over the Red Blacks would feel really great!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The only roster changes this week are the addition of RB Anthony Allen and the deletion of SB Geraldo Boldewijn, who was inactive last game. Jeremiah Johnson remains on the 46-man roster but will not dress, barring an emergency.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The only roster changes this week are the addition of RB Anthony Allen and the deletion of SB Geraldo Boldewijn, who was inactive last game. Jeremiah Johnson remains on the 46-man roster but will not dress, barring an emergency.
I would guess that means we are dressing Darius Allen, rather than Bryant Turner J. or Hudson.

I would rather us dress Bryant Turner Jr. He can play defensive tackle or defensive end. He gives us more than Allen or Hudson.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

One of the interesting side lights to our game against the Red Blacks is both have very experienced, highly paid back up quarterbacks.

However, Burris was expected to be the starter in Ottawa for one last season this year, whereas Lulay was slotted into the Number 2 quarterback position from the start of training camp.

Jeff Tedford's one season with us, a 9-9 season was nothing to write home about but Tedord's choice of Jennings last year, among a group of the ten young quarterbacks that we looked at, gave our Leos a very promising future. Many of the young quarterbacks that we looked at and brought in had more reputable backgrounds than Jennings, but Tedford saw something special in Jennings that others had not.

Jennings started our last 6 games of last season and based on that body of work, he was slated to become our starting quarterback this year.

Travis Lulay was signed to be our backup. However, he is a very highly paid back up quarterback who makes more money than Jennings. With no options to sign with another CFL team as a potential starter Lulay and no options to be able to get the kind of money he would get in B.C. as a backup, Lulay signed up again with our Leos.

Lulay understood the role he was being asked to take in B.C. for this season and beyond - provide assistance to Jennings, practice hard, and be prepared to step in, in the event of injury.

Henry Burris entered this season with a different mind set. He saw himself as the starter in Ottawa. He had taken the Red Blacks to the Grey Cup game. In 2015 Burris had led the CFL in passing yards, tied for the best quarterback in the league with 26 touchdown passes with Bo Levi Mitchell while having a lower interception rate, and had a better quarterback efficiency rating than Bo Levi.

One important comment that Beamish makes in his article is that we don't have a quarterback controversy in B.C. with Jennings and Lulay and that quarterback controversies and that 'Conventional wisdom says that quarterback controversies can be ruinous'

He points to the divided locker room in B.C. when Dickenson and Printers were both here in B.C. and 'one faction supported Dave Dickenson, while another stumped for Casey Printers'. We also had a very divided Lionbackers website at the time too.

If there is one thing that Buono has learned is to not ignite the quarterback controversies that he, more than anyone created in the past in B.C.

Buono, not Printers, created the flames for the Dickenson/Printers quarterback controversy by 1) naming Dickenson as the starter for the 2004 Grey Cup game, rather than starting MOP Printers and bringing in Dickenson, should Printers have struggled 2) stating that both Dickenson and Printers would compete for the quarterback starting position in 2005, following fan back lash after the 2004 season 3) not choosing to name Dickenson or Printers as his starter until a couple of hours before the game in 2005, which frustrated offensive players and got the press fanning the flames 4) having Dickenson and Printers compete again during the two weeks prior to the WDF before naming Dickenson as the starter and 6) putting Printers into the game in the dying minutes of the 2005 Western Final and 7) offering a starters contract of $1.2 million for three seasons to Printers to become the starter in 2006, pissing Dickenson off (Printers refused it and went to the NFL instead, while Dickenson returned as our starter, knowing that Buono had chosen Printers over him.

After Buono made the contract offer to Printers at the end of 2005, Dickenson said “If Casey is going to sign there'd have to be verbal guarantees I'd get moved. There's no other way around it,” said the 32-year-old, whose thoughts then reverted to an even older quarterback with the Argonauts jettisoned by coach Wally Buono three years ago. “The ball's in Casey's court,” said Dickenson, who hasn't talked to Buono since the start of the month. “I did say when I left, 'Don't string me along' and he hasn't let me know, but I guess he can't until he gets [Printers] signed “I'm starting to see why Wally is not universally loved,” Dickenson said. “When I came to Calgary, I heard certain guys struggling with the idea that Wally was their coach and GM".

Printers went to the NFL, Dickenson was not traded to Toronto and instead, would go on to lead our Leos to our 2006 Grey Cup win. Still, Dickenson was not a happy camper and said so. "Though time has tempered his feelings, Dickenson still admits to being put out by the way the Lions (i.e. Buono) handled the postseason aspect of the duel last season, in which the club made no disguise of its eagerness to sign Printers to a long-term deal. Dickenson said in 2006 "More than anything, it's taught me that football is a business. There are no loyalties. I'm not really looking to anything beyond this year.”

Printers or his agent took the rap for Buono's mishandling of the sitation and Buono didn't learn his lesson. In 2006, Dickenson was very frustrated with Buono inserting Pierce for series of plays, including inserting him into the Grey Cup game. In 2008 and 2009, Buono added his second quarterback controversy with Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson.

Still not having learned, Buono brought Printers back to the Lions part way through 2009, which inflamed the vets from the old Dickenson faction on the team (eg: Angus Reed, Brent Johnson, Buck Pierce) while other players welcomed Printers back (eg: Geroy Simon, Dante Marsh, Korey Banks) welcomed Printers back and the locker room was divided again. Printers went on to start the playoff game over Buck Pierce, Jarious Jackson, Travis Lulay, and Zac Champion and was signed and appointed the starting quarterback for 2010. Of course, the press would have lots of field days of fanning flames.

Buono, in his return to the sidelines, named his starter (Jennings) and assigned the backup role, even though Lulay is a favorite of his as well as being a former MOP, a Grey Cup winner, and an experienced quarterback and has stuck with it.

It may have made things a little duller than in the past but Buono's approach to the quarterback position this time has been a good one for our Leos. Buono finally got it and its been a good thing that he has.

Why bring all this old stuff back up? Its a good reminder that dull sometimes is good and that Buono has changed.
Mike Beamish: Veteran QBs Lulay and Burris come to grips with second-man status

Published on: September 30, 2016 | Last Updated: September 30, 2016

Part of being a quarterback, being a leader, is being on the field. And you never want to see someone else do your job.”
— Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots

According to the Boston Globe, it’s killing suspended Patriots quarterback Tom Brady not to be playing, as much as he’s happy for the success of his National Football League team and understudies-turned-starters Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett.
Veteran Canadian Football League quarterbacks Travis Lulay and Henry Burris can understand Brady’s frustration.

As previous winners of the league’s most outstanding player trophy, they’re both expected to play a secondary role to Saturday’s starters at B.C. Place Stadium — the Lions’ Jonathon Jennings and Ottawa’s Trevor Harris.

If everything goes according to plan for the Redblacks, Burris probably won’t be in even for a single play.

Lulay is the designated holder on field goal attempts and often does duty on short-yardage plays. But Burris, 41, has no other role, beyond what he lives to be again — a starting quarterback.

“It’s not easy for me, I can tell you that,” he admits. “I still feel I’m the best quarterback in this league. Of course, I’ve had the injury (damaged pinky finger on his throwing hand), but I’m anxious to get out there and help my team win games, now that I’m back to 100 per cent.”

There is some question, however, that last year’s MOP still has the required grip strength in his right hand to play effectively. Burris bashed his money-maker paw on an opposition helmet in the opening game of the 2016 season, and some residual inflammation continues to linger.

Conventional wisdom says that quarterback controversies can be ruinous. Heaven knows the Lions have had a divided locker-room before, when one faction supported Dave Dickenson, while another stumped for Casey Printers.
Yet, if it’s killing Lulay to be usurped by a younger, up-and-comer, he’s certainly a great actor, projecting not a glimmer of second-banana syndrome.

“I can tell you, without a shred of doubt, that Travis really only cares about winning,” says wide receiver Marco Iannuzzi. “If that means supporting and mentoring Jon, that’s what he does. Jon is having as much success as he has because Travis is not holding anything back in helping him.”

Young at heart, Lulay may be getting older (he turned 33 on Monday) but he believes he’s nowhere near the end of his playing days, even though Jennings, at his accelerated rate of growth, could be the Lions’ starter well into the next decade.

Staying mentally engaged is one of a backup quarterback’s toughest and most important tasks — and Lulay seems as joyous to be around the football field as Rudy, the real-life steelworker who lived the American Dream by playing for Notre Dame.

“I feel I’m in a pretty good place, mentally,” Lulay says. “I love to play against our defence (in practice), so I’m competing throughout the week. I’m getting legitimate looks and reactions. But the biggest thing, for me, that helps me be OK with the situation, is just my appreciation to still be playing.”

Two years ago, against the Redblacks, in a tortuous game in Ottawa, Lulay’s wrecked his twice surgically repaired right shoulder for a third time, and sportswriters began composing epitaphs for his career.

“That easily could have ended it. And I know that,” Lulay says. “Any time I want to start feeling sorry for myself, it’s quickly won over by the fact I still get to play the game I love.”

What seems to be happening now, by virtue of his inherent optimism and uncomplicated manner, is deriving stimulation and joy from basic pleasures: hanging with the boys, awarding the game ball, running laps or playing pitch and catch after practice, still embracing a little boy’s game.

“Travis generally cares about the people around him. He wants the best for them as much as he wants it for himself,” says Shawn Gore. “And the ability is right there. It’s great to have two quarterbacks who can start and win for us.”

Still, even with the obvious need for skilled backup passers, the view from the backseat can be uncomfortable, nowhere close to the feeling of being in control.

“Like Travis, I feel like this is My Team,” Burris admits. “It’s been taken away from me. You want to lose your job, not have it taken away. You want to be out there competing.”

Preparation, practice, the drills — all part of the pursuit of excellence — but, alas, for any quarterback, no substitute for the thrill of the public performance.
mbeamish@postmedia.com

THREE THINGS TO WATCH

HOME FIRES
After visiting teams held sway in the early going of the 2016 CFL season — away teams were 12-3-1 heading into Week 5 — teams playing at home have won nine in a row and 13 of the past 14 meetings heading into Week 15.

That’s a good omen for the Lions, whose once close-to-impregnable fortress at B.C. Place Stadium has been breached repeatedly by attacking hordes in recent years. A lack of dominance at home — Lions are 11-12 since the end of the 2013 season — could be a contributor to declining attendance. “It’s still a point of emphasis,” says Ryan Phillips. “To me, there’s no point in hosting a playoff game at home, if you’re not dominant in the regular season, at home.”

Hunter Steward, left, was able to practice this week.

BIGFOOT SIGHTING
Being tall and thick has its advantages on the basketball court and football field, but it’s no coincidence that big people often have recurring foot and ankle problems because of their sheer size. Injuries (sprained knee, foot fractures) have plagued first-round pick Hunter Steward, he of the custom-ordered size 15, EEE cleats, early in his CFL career.

So, there was relief this week when the jumbo-sized starting left guard was able to take reps in practice after being sidelined last Friday against Edmonton because of an ankle sprain. “I wouldn’t say I dodged a bullet,” Steward explained. “I still got hurt. I rolled the ankle. But it turned out it was nothing out of the ordinary. It’s taken a pretty dramatic turn for the better.”

One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever do.

LONELIEST NUMBER

In 2011, an in-season trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for veteran receiver Arland Bruce helped a 1-5 team reverse course and pull off an improbable Grey Cup championship run for the Lions. Bruce wore No. 1, as does Terrell Sinkfield, another former Ticats receiver who joined the Lions as a free agent signing on Sept. 16 and started last Friday against the Eskimos after just three practices.

Sinkfield’s debut was unpromising. He was targeted on Jonathon Jennings’ first throw and promptly dropped it. Sinkfield was invisible the rest of the evening. That doesn’t faze coach Wally Buono. “He has to understand the offence. I wouldn’t judge him until the end of the season. He might not be effective for us — until the playoffs.”
Blitz
Team Captain

Ottawa plans to focus on stopping our running attack on first down and then deal with second down accordingly. They also plan to mix their defensive coverages and not give Jennings the same looks as he will have seen on tape or in past games.

The last time our Leos played Ottawa they played a lot of man defense with a four man defensive line on passing downs. Since then, Ottawa's defence has gone to more zone defense and a three man pass rush on passing downs, which is a CFL trend now.

Ottawa will likely mix some man and some zone coverage. It's why I wish our Leos would move our receivers around more or send one receiver in motion for pre-snap reads rather than just waggling our slots while lining up Gore and Iannuzzi always wide. Both are huge tipoffs for man vs. zone coverage.

Ottawa has the best offence in the league in terms of net average yards per game. But their red zone offence is the CFL's worst (41.7%) and it has hurt them. They are developing strategies for this game to change that. A positive is that our Leos red zone defense ranks 3rd in the CFL.

Our red zone offence needs to improve too. Our red zone offence ranks 6th in the CFL. We need shorter passing plays down there. Ottawa has also struggled with red zone defense and rank 8th in the CFL in that category. There should be no reason why we shouldn't have good red zone success against the Red Blacks, if we call the right plays in the red zone tonite.
VANCOUVER — For the Ottawa Redblacks, game after game, there’s still too much coulda, woulda, shoulda.

An explosive offence led by quarterback Trevor Harris, with four 1,000-yard receivers from a year ago, should be feared.
While statistics show that the Redblacks’ offence is among the CFL’s best — 344 yards passing per game is tops in the league — the fact remains that Ottawa way too often stalls in the red zone, the area inside the opponents’ 20-yard line, settling for field goals and leaving touchdowns out there.

Ottawa is just 15-for-36 in red-zone efficiency on the season — that 41.7% rate is worst in the CFL. For perspective, only one other team, Saskatchewan (46.9%), is below 50% and Ottawa’s opponent on Saturday night — the B.C. Lions — sit at 53.5%.

It’s frustrating, to say the least, something the Redblacks need to fix.

“We’re the worst in the league in that department so that has to be improved,” Redblacks coach Rick Campbell said.
The coach’s solution?

“Simplify. More high percentage,” he said. “Not to the same extent, but we had the same issues at different times last year. It’s really a function of whatever works to get us there, we should continue to do once we’re in the red zone. A lot of times we try to outthink outselves and try to do too much.”

Backup QB Henry Burris, the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2015, said the offence isn’t far off from tapping into its potential.
“The things that are your weaknesses get exposed in the scoring zone,” said Burris, who, in his 17th season, has a pretty good handle on these things. “The margin of error is already slim enough, but it’s even slimmer when you get into the scoring area. It’s been different things killing us this year: A missed block, a missed throw, a dropped pass, defence makes a play … they are things we’re not far away from achieving and getting the ball into the end zone.

“We’ve always been a high-tempo offence, we can’t lose that mojo once we get into the scoring zone. We have to maintain that energy it took for us to move the ball between the 20s. It’s a game of inches. When you’re in the scoring zone, you don’t have that same amount of field to deal with. We’ve trimmed down the red-zone package to make sure it’s stuff the guys are comfortable and confident with. There’s too much talent in this offence, we’re not far away from making it happen.”

Finding a solution, putting together a game plan that pushes the ball into the end zone more often is obviously something the coaches have been trying to piece together.

“Coverage changes down there, defences change down there, the pressures change down there,” offensive co-ordinator Jaime Elizondo said. “You have to look at what a defence does and where they change their identity. For some defensive co-ordinators, that’s the 12 (yard line), for some it may be inside the eight.

“For us, it’s been a block here, it’s been a throw here, it’s been a protection pickup here … it’s been a lot of individual little mistakes. For example, last week, we miss a block and we go the wrong way on a play, otherwise we’re walking in from the 10-yard line. We miss a protection pickup, Trevor has to rush the throw a bit to the outside hand of Chris (Williams).

“The players feel like we’re not far off. We have a competitive group of guys, they want to finish in the end zone, they want to put touchdowns on the board. Last week’s game is a great example. We create some significant separation if those were touchdowns.”
First-down production will open up the playbook on second-down chances. Opposing teams have been rushing three and dropping nine defenders back into coverage. That tightens up the throwing lanes.

“Part of the formula is staying out of bad down and distance and having success on first down,” Elizondo said. “If we can run the ball, defences have to dedicate more manpower in the box and that creates more shot opportunities. When we get into a game and we’re in second and long a significant amount of the time, it’s going to be an uphill battle.

“Even with last week’s win, we felt, ‘Man, we’re not playing our best football yet.’ It’s one thing to be 6-5–1 and say we’re playing our best football. It’s another thing to say, ‘Man, we are leaving so much on the field.’ That’s the thing that’s exciting for everybody.”

IN AND OUT

In for the Redblacks in Saturday’s game in Vancouver: DL Nigel Romick, DL Paul Hazel, DB Imoan Claiborne, OL J’Micheal Deane, RB Brendan Gillanders, OL Tommie Draheim and P Zack Medeiros. Out: LB Kevin Jackson, DB Nick Taylor, DB Jean-Philippe Bolduc and LB Kevin Malcolm. DL Marlon Smith and P Sergio Castillo, both on the roster a week ago, have been released, while OL SirVincent Rogers is on the six-game injured list.

CAN REDBLACKS SLOW PROWLING LIONS?

VANCOUVER — Jeremiah Johnson is out and Anthony Allen is in Saturday night against the Ottawa Redblacks. Stats and egos aside, that’s just the way it goes for the B.C. Lions, who have the best rushing attack in the CFL with an average of 106.9 yards per game.
The Lions employ an interesting system where they let Johnson, the former Redblacks running back, play for a couple of games, then they turn to Allen. Repeat cycle.

Hard to knock the system, it works. While Johnson has 509 yards, Allen has 326.

The thing is, B.C. has so much more than just a ground game. That starts with second-year quarterback Jonathon Jennings and a receiving corps that includes the very talented and big Manny Arceneaux, the CFL’s fifth-leading receiver with 956 yards.

“You want to give them multiple things,” Redblacks defensive co-ordinator Mark Nelson said. “You want it to not look like it did in practice or what (Jennings) saw on film. They have offensive weapons. He doesn’t have to do it, he has to be the disher, dish the ball off to his players.”

So how about that ground game that will go against the Redblacks, the CFL’s top run defenders?

“We didn’t do a real good job against Toronto, not as good as we normally do,” Nelson said. “We’re going to be better because you know to stop B.C., you have to stop the run game. Win first down, then let’s go play second down.”

“We’re expecting a dogfight,” Jennings said. “Ottawa’s a good football team, they bring a lot of pressure on defence. It’s going to be interesting to see what they come at us with. When we played them last time, they were a big-man team, a four-down (lineman) team, they’ve turned into a three-down team. They’ve done a lot more zone (coverage) since we played them.”

Lions coach Wally Buono said subbing Allen in for Johnson gives his team the best chance to win.

“I tell the players, you’re going to tapped on the shoulder to play or you’re going to get tapped on the shoulder to sit out,” he said. “We felt this was the best lineup for this week to play the Redblacks.

“One of the things that attracted me to Jeremiah was how good a teammate he was and how good a person he was. This is why something like this works — they both buy in. I don’t want them to like it, but I want them to deal with it.”
— Tim Baines
Blitz
Team Captain

As we go through our pre-game rituals for a Lions home game (mine involves putting on my Leos baseball hat and an old Leos sweater with morning coffee for cool rainy mornings like today) one key aspect to every football game is penalties.

How do our Leos and the Ottawa Red Blacks stack up in this area.

The Ottawa Red Blacks lead the CFL in penalties. They have been flagged an average of 11.5 times per game. (138 penalites, 1,382 yds, 41 first downs to opponents) The offence has been flagged 39 times while the defence has been flagged 61 times. A few quick takeaways from the breakdown.

Our Leos are the 3rd least penalized team in the CFL and rank 2nd least penalized team in the CFL, in terms of yardage given up due to penalties. We average 8.4 penalties per game. (112 penalties, 933 yds)

We are the least penalized team in the CFL on defense and given up the least 1st downs due to penalty in the CFL. However, we are the 2nd most penalized team in the CFL on offence.

The two CFL offences that are the least penalized are the Calgary Stampeders and the Ottawa Red Blacks. Yet these two teams have suffered the most injuries to their offensive lines. Calgary has used 10 different offensive lineman this season, including three different players lining up at center. Ottawa has had to shuffle its offensive line every week due to injury. Only Ottawa center Gott has started every game at his position.

The problem with penalties on our offence is due to procedure and holding calls. That should not be happening at the rate that it is. After Game 2, when Vaillencourt got injured, our offensive linemen have not missed starting a game due to injury. When we have made changes to our offensive line (left guard and right tackle) it was due to our choices. Thankfully, we returned to sanity, going back to Steward and Antonio Johnson.

The reality: Dorazio has to do a better job of coaching our offensive line. They take way too many penalities, especially way too many procedure penalities.
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos have a mediocre record of 3-2 this season, after a mediocre record at home last year. It time to play so well that we can have the potential to have a lot of fans in the seats at B.C. Place, should we be hosting a playoff game or two.

We need to make B.C. Place to truly a 'fortress' for CFL opponents.

Preview
Lions, REDBLACKS eye position in respective divisions in BC

CFL.ca Staff

VANCOUVER — Following Winnipeg’s loss on Friday night, the BC Lions could separate themselves from the rest — for a week, at least — in the West Division’s playoff battle with a win on Saturday against the Ottawa REDBLACKS.

Of course, they’ll have to go through a REDBLACKS team that’s coming off a strong defensive performance at home against the Toronto Argos and streaking into first-place contention.

While the Leos are the better team on paper, Wally Buono’s team is coming off a tough loss in Edmonton.

Both teams need the win to rise above the packs in their respective divisions.

It’s safe to say Week 14 was a good one for the Ottawa REDBLACKS.

Head coach Rick Campbell’s team allowed just 12 points and put in a strong special teams performance en route to an important divisional win against provincial rival Toronto.

“We’re a confident bunch, shooting down the stretch of the season,” Ottawa pivot Trevor Harris told OttawaREDBLACKS.com. “This is where teams rise or fall. Obviously BC is a great offence, great defence, and solid team — I just have to go out and just trust (my O-line) up front.”

The offensive line is a major question mark for the REDBLACKS entering their matchup in Vancouver, with SirVincent Rogers placed on the six-game this week.

“It’s always difficult — SirVincent is a leader on our team, but we have enough depth and veteran leadership to withstand it,” said Coach Campbell. “The offensive line is a really good example of a unit that has to work together to have some continuity — it’ll take some getting used to, but we think we’ll be able to adapt.”

With some positional shuffling including Jason Lauzon-Seguin’s move to the left edge of the line, J’Michael Deane will slot back in for the REDBLACKS.

Ottawa’s defence is the best in the league against the run, and facing a BC team that is the best in the league at running the football will be a unique challenge for the capital club.

“The coaches have been doing a good job of getting (us) prepared,” said linebacker Taylor Reed. “We’ve got to stop the run first and foremost — with Jeremiah (Johnson) or Anthony Allen down there, they can run the ball. They (also) got big receivers: We’ll have our hands full.”

The REDBLACKS will have to be in tip-top shape on special teams to secure a win against the Lions, who boast one of the league’s most explosive return men in Chris Rainey. Ottawa itself saw returner Jamill Smith rip off a ridiculous 109-yard touchdown return on a missed field goal last week against Toronto.

The BC Lions lost for the first time in over a month last week in Edmonton, and are consequently seeking a bounce-back performance on Saturday.

“This is what we play for, we play to compete and play to be the best,” quarterback Jonathan Jennings told BCLions.com prior to Saturday’s contest. “You can’t be the best unless you beat the best and it’s exciting football right now. You want to be in a position to play playoff games and this gives you a good chance to practice for what’s to come.”

BC will be receive a boost with the return of feature back Anthony Allen. The Georgia Tech product sits 10th in the league in rush yards with 326 despite having played in only five games this season.

“Having fresh legs is the name of the game right now,” said Allen. “I’m very excited because I have never really felt this way going into October, especially my legs. It’s going to be a big game for me, a big game for the team, we’ve got to come out with a win and we’re excited.”

The Leos will look to slotback Emmanuel Arceneaux for continued production this week; the Alcorn State alumnus has three receiving touchdowns in his last two outings, and could break his previous career-high in receiving yards (1151 yds, 2015) with a few more performances of a similar ilk.

As important, we have to begin to establish B.C. Place to be a tough place for a CFL opponent to play us again or as the article posted below says...."there is work to do before B.C. Place can be labelled a fortress'.

Defensively, BC must remain sharp and disciplined throughout Saturday’s contest to avoid a repeat of what happened in Edmonton last week.

“We still have a bitter taste in our mouths from last week, and the next game is the biggest game — special because it’s at home,” said veteran Leos linebacker Solomon Elimimian. “We want to give our fans their money’s worth and play and provide an atmosphere when you come to BC Place you have fear in your eyes.”

While BC is 8-4 and appears the favourite to host the West semi-final, nothing is given in this league — especially this season — and the Leos’ mediocre 3-2 record at home means there is work to do before BC Place can truly be labeled a “fortress.”
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos won the last contest with Ottawa 20-23. There were 3 different lead changes in that game.

Jonathan Jennings completed his 18th career start last game and his passing numbers for the equivalent of a full season are 11-7 W-L record, a 65.8%% completion average, 5060 yards passing, 30 TD passes, 14 interceptions, and a 101.7 passer rating. Impressive for a quarterback in his first 18 games of CFL action.

Jonathon Jennings is on pace for just under 5,000 passing yards; only Doug Flutie, Dave Dickenson and Casey Printers have reached that mark in a single season for the Lions

Trevor Harris has thrown one interception in his last 199 pass attempts. He really takes care of the football.

In two of our Leos 4 losses this year, we've had a lead of at least 14 points. Our record really should be 10-2 because we really had the ability to hold onto those leads.

Time of possession has been a key stat in our wins and losses this season. In our four wins, we had the football an average of 32:31. In our four losses our average possession time was 27:28. We do well this season when we rush the football well and keep our defense off the field. When we are forced to pass too much we usually lose.

Of the 10 interceptions we have thrown this season, 7 of them came in the second half of the game and just 2 interceptions in the first half. (We also have a convert attempt interception. Part of the reason for that stat is that we tend to do the same things over and over again with our passing attack and defenses adjust in games.

We gave up 6 sacks the last time we played Ottawa. After that game, we've only given up 5 sacks in our last 3 games. Getting Steward and Antonio Johnson back into the lineup has made a big difference. Too bad it took Darazio too long to figure that out. He shouldn't have made the changes in the first place. :thup:

Bryan Burnham leads the CFL in average yards per reception at 18.1 and he has 19 2nd down conversion catches.

Richie Leone has made 14 of his last 16 FG attempts inside the 40, but just 4 of his last 9 from 40 yards and out.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hopefully we will see a much more involved Sinkfield....at least fire some passes his way. Let's see if we got a stud or a pig-in-a-poke.
Blitz
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Hopefully we will see a much more involved Sinkfield....at least fire some passes his way. Let's see if we got a stud or a pig-in-a-poke.
Sinkfield has the talent to do some damage for us on offence. The bigger question is are we going to integrate him into our offence, where we can utilize his speed (eg: deep post, corner, go patterns), crossing patterns (high, low), hitch screens, fly sweep/reverse or are we just going to give him possession type patterns for the outside slot position that we used for Moore and Boldewijn.

We're usually a plug and play offence that doesn't adjust for our personnel. That would be a waste of Sinkfield's strengths and the things that he could do to open up our offence.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A rousing rendition of the US and Canadian anthem to start the game
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Impressive opening drive by Ottawa
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions repond in 2 plays
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ottawa playa seem to be catching the Lions off guard