Should Kent Austin Be Suspended?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The Hamilton Tiger Cats are fighting for their playoff lives. They are 6-7, the return of Collaras has not changed their fortunes, and they lost to Saskatchewan last weekend.

Kent Austin's explosive temper is nothing new to see. He lost it again last weekend and bumped an official. He can't control his emotions, takes penalties for losing it, and then expects his players to play with discipline and control their emotions and not take penalties.

Making contact with an official, as part of an angry outburst, gets a player suspended. Austin was finded last year for his incident with Stala of the Argos last year, when Austin bumped him.

Its time the CFL gave a message to Austin that his behavior is unacceptable.

Madani: Anything but a suspension for Kent Austin disrespects officials

Posted on September 27, 2016 by Arash Madani

It has taken more than two full days, and the Canadian Football League has yet to pull the trigger on a basic, required, announcement: Kent Austin has been suspended for making contact with a game official.

Yet here we are on Tuesday morning, and not a peep from the office of the commissioner, nor former referee Glen Johnson, now emperor of the league’s football operations division.

Ridiculous.

On Saturday night, Kent Austin made contact with an official during his team’s loss in Regina. It appeared Hamilton’s coach was angry. He took a swipe, and hit the side judge. After the initial illegal procedure flag took the Tiger-Cats back five yards, another 10-yard penalty was assessed for Austin’s antics. That was a mistake, too.

On Pages 58 and 59 of the CFL’s 2016 rulebook, it clearly states “for physical abuse of an official in any matter whatsoever,” a 25-yard penalty and a disqualification are to be applied. Neither happened, of course, even though the rulebook has no grey area on the matter.

The CFL cannot miss here, as they have before. A league, after all, that only takes a stand when it’s easy.

They suspended Duron Carter for just a game after he bumped Rick Campbell, when the right thing to do was make it longer. They wouldn’t allow Greg Hardy to be added to Saskatchewan’s neg list, yet Shawn Oakman – indicted in July for felony second-degree sexual assault and banned from Baylor University’s locker room and road game sites – took a spot on that same Riders list.

And, of course, they didn’t suspend Austin last September, when he intentionally made contact with Dave Stala on the sidelines, throwing a laughable fine at him instead. Now a year later, and a pattern has developed, although this time it’s worse: Austin hits someone, not in pads, but an official during a game. As disrespectful an act a coach can commit in-competition. It cannot be tolerated.

That we’ve gone this long without the CFL applying an automatic one-game suspension is as irresponsible as the on-field crew not ejecting him in the Hamilton loss at Mosaic Saturday night.

When CFL commissioner Jeffrey Orridge fined Austin for the Stala incident, his statement included this quote: “I want it to be clear that the CFL has an important standard of conduct for coaches which must be respected and upheld.”

It wasn’t Saturday night. Not by a coach who last year says he apologized to the players on the Tiger-Cats and “assured them that going forward my behavior will be consistent with those (high) standards” of conduct.
Austin didn’t live up to his word either.

A catastrophe can be avoided on the field if the offence recovers a coughed up football. The CFL has fumbled once already, now is their chance to make up for their mistake.

On Sunday, Orridge typed a tweet that began with “Football is family.”

That “family” includes the game officials. Anything but a suspension for Austin will disrespect them, and their profession, even worse than what the coach did on Saturday night.

A basic, required announcement is already too late in being issued. For the sake of the integrity of the game, let’s hope 2016’s fumble leaders won’t, again, be those making the decisions at the CFL office.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I kind of agree. I have no doubt that the contact made was unintentional in this case but Austin has a track record of being a bit of a hot head. He went over to the official with a bee in his bonnet and as a result, contact was made. Accidental or no, the responsibility for it rests solely with Austin and should result in a 1 game suspension and a sizable fine (something in the order of $50000). It should be an automatic that abuse of an official should result in disqualification and by abuse I also include the verbal tirades that sometimes they are subjected to.

And for the record, the call that set Austin off, has been called before. I can't remember exactly which game it occurred in but it was within the last few years. Somewhere it was suggested that the Riders were assessed the same penalty last year although that is unverified. I only say that because the commentators went out of their way to say it is never called. It is rare but on a 3rd and inches, a small move of the ball could be significant.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He is obviously a demanding coach. I have speculated before about whether he has a relatively short best before date, that his intensity might be good in the short run, but lose the players in the longer run.

As a coach, he might be a comet. He made 3 Grey Cups as a Head Coach, winning one. At this time the TiCats are struggling.

I did not see the situation in this discussion.

Bumping a player? Unacceptable. Bumping an official? Unacceptable.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bumping an official in anger while complaining about a penalty, as Austin did, should draw a suspension. He was out of control and his lack of control resulted in the contact.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Austin probably should have been tossed from the game, so since he wasn't then he should probably be suspended. I use the word probably because the guys running the CFL head office seem inconsistent in a lot of what they are doing. So who knows?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seems to be an easy call for the league; suspension. Coaches should be held to the same level of conduct as the players.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Seems to be an easy call for the league; suspension. Coaches should be held to the same level of conduct as the players.
They should be held to a higher standard due to their leadership position. When a player like Duron Carter bumps into a coach he is suspended. Yet when Austin bumped into Stala last year, he was fined and not suspended and I'm sure the Tiger Cats front office picked up his tab.

Austin should have been both suspended and fined. His behavior was very unprofessional.

This time the league needs to send a clear message to Austin. His anger towards refs and his terrible temper, when things are not going his way, is well documented. Austin needs to grow. He can be arrogant, testy with the media. Some former Tiger Cat players have not sung his praises and haven't cared for his personal style.

He's also been a restless type as a coach. I believe he only signed on again in Hamilton because he has the control there that he would never get in the NCAA.

Regarding WCJ's comment, some coaches are very good change agents but not so good with one team for the longer term. Not sure if this is the case with Austin but could be.

Overall, Austin has been good for the CFL game. He has tons of control in Hamilton, being the Head Coach GM, and Vice-President of Football operations...he even has control of food choices.....but he needs to have more self-control.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wonder if Austin's often abrasive personality was a factor in Sinkfield not returning to Hamilton?
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I wonder if Austin's often abrasive personality was a factor in Sinkfield not returning to Hamilton?
My guess is there was better opportunity here, that Jennings was a good deep ball passer, and the money was better here too.

But Sinkfield was in and of the roster for quite a while after joining the Tiger Cats. He started the first two games of his season there but dropped a potential touchdown pass and was benched for four weeks.

Hard to know if Austin entered the equation or not.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
DanoT wrote:I wonder if Austin's often abrasive personality was a factor in Sinkfield not returning to Hamilton?
My guess is there was better opportunity here, that Jennings was a good deep ball passer, and the money was better here too.

But Sinkfield was in and of the roster for quite a while after joining the Tiger Cats. He started the first two games of his season there but dropped a potential touchdown pass and was benched for four weeks.

Hard to know if Austin entered the equation or not.
I think Wally's willingness to give him a one year deal allowing him to be an FA to try the NFL again in the offseason was a very large factor. Other teams may have demanded he sign for 2 year so they could retain his services for 2017.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:He is obviously a demanding coach. I have speculated before about whether he has a relatively short best before date, that his intensity might be good in the short run, but lose the players in the longer run.

What it looked like is that Austin went over to one of the side officials to complain about the call and he made the hand gesture where you have your hands raised and throw them down in disgust. My impression was that one of Austin's hand collided with one of the officials hands so it really wasn't a case of where he was trying to push or bump the official. I'm not pro Austin but I really did think that it was a bit of an unfortunate accident at least insofar as the physical contact was concerned. Doesn't get him off the hook but at least it really didn't seem like he had any intention of making contact with the official.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:He is obviously a demanding coach. I have speculated before about whether he has a relatively short best before date, that his intensity might be good in the short run, but lose the players in the longer run.

What it looked like is that Austin went over to one of the side officials to complain about the call and he made the hand gesture where you have your hands raised and throw them down in disgust. My impression was that one of Austin's hand collided with one of the officials hands so it really wasn't a case of where he was trying to push or bump the official. I'm not pro Austin but I really did think that it was a bit of an unfortunate accident at least insofar as the physical contact was concerned. Doesn't get him off the hook but at least it really didn't seem like he had any intention of making contact with the official.
Thanks for the info, Sir P. I will check it when I get a chance.

I do recall him bumping the player. That looked like an angry bump, Kind of amazing, actually.

I recall coaching some teenagers. Intense game. Penalty on us. Our guy picked up the flag and tried to hide it. LOL We were all astonished. It didn't fool the referee. He was looking around for it, and spotted the guilty party. LOL I guess the kid just could not stand the thought of the penalty. I recall talking to the player, but do not remember the actual words, mostly a low key counseling kind of thing. We were not upset with him. He was a good kid, very intense obviously.

I bet Austin had some anger issues playing as a kid.

Bjorn Borg used to break his rackets as a teen.

Basketball great Jerry West could not sleep after games.

Bill Russell threw up before every game.

It is intense stuff.

After I quit coaching, for years I really could not watch teams I was rooting for. I can watch again now. Hooray. LOL
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:

Thanks for the info, Sir P. I will check it when I get a chance.

I do recall him bumping the player. That looked like an angry bump, Kind of amazing, actually.

I recall coaching some teenagers. Intense game. Penalty on us. Our guy picked up the flag and tried to hide it. LOL We were all astonished. It didn't fool the referee. He was looking around for it, and spotted the guilty party. LOL I guess the kid just could not stand the thought of the penalty. I recall talking to the player, but do not remember the actual words, mostly a low key counseling kind of thing. We were not upset with him. He was a good kid, very intense obviously.

I bet Austin had some anger issues playing as a kid.

Bjorn Borg used to break his rackets as a teen.

Basketball great Jerry West could not sleep after games.

Bill Russell threw up before every game.

It is intense stuff.

After I quit coaching, for years I really could not watch teams I was rooting for. I can watch again now. Hooray. LOL
As a coach or player, you are always responsible for your actions or reactions.

When one looks at the bigger picture of pro football, its easy, at times, to forget that these are mostly 25 year olds playing an intense, violent game with their career on the line. Many are single and yet to marry. Yet they play the game with tremendous self-discipline and respond to media interviews with a maturity beyond their years - its a credit to them.

The majority of 25 year old men these days are living at home.

In terms of pro Head Coaches, most are much older men, who have married, have children, and had a lot of life experience. They are in leadership and mentorship positions and in the public eye constantly and they know that. One should expect a high level of maturity from them.

Still, as WCJ points out, Head Coaches experience a lot of pressure, or more accurately he emphasizes its 'intense stuff'. Obviously pro coaching, as a career usually involves a nomadic life style (pro coaches are almost always fired). Not an easy career to say the least - a very stressful job, but its one they choose, or probably, more accurately, are 'compelled' to pursue.

I watch Buono's face on the sidelines and you can see the habitual facial movements that reflect stress.

For anyone who has coached a sport, for a certain length of time, at a level where there is some external pressure or expectation of winning, most are affected by anxiety in certain situations, that remind them of that pressure. They almost all have some form of PTSD that can be triggered, even its watching their favorite team play a close contest on television.

I recall quite clearly, a conversation with a male friend, who was in his 30's, that I had encouraged to get into becoming a Head Coach of a football team comprised of 13-14 year olds. This friend had a very calm, composed, personality. Nothing ever stressed him. He told me that he could hardly sleep before coaching his football games and never the night after - he replayed the game in his head over and over again. He said the butterflies in his stomach were almost too much during games. He said it was 'ridiculous', based on the age of the players he was coaching but he was powerless to change how he was being affected. Coaching is not easy.

As a Leo fan, I can be tough on our coaches, in terms of scheme and strategy, but there is also an empathy that pro coaching has to be very tough gig. The hours are brutal and so are the expectations of fans and media, who sit in judgment every game, as I do. In the NFL, Gary Kubiac collapsed on the sidelines during a game and Bruce Ariens experienced horrific migraine headaches while coaching at Temple that immediately went away when he was fired there. Dick Vermeil left coaching due to burnout. Five NFL coaches have retired immediately after winning the SuperBowl. Many US college Head Coaches, at relatively young ages, have had heart attacks. Urban Meyer, when coaching at Florida team and lost the 2009 SEC championship game, was rushed to the hospital with chest pains.

Stress impacts in so many ways. Most pro coaches should get stress management counseling. Austin seems like a definite candidate.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Austin has been fined $10,000 and banned from the sidelines for the Ticats' next game but can work from the spotters' booth.

CFL fines Kent Austin, removes him from sideline for one game, but is it enough?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Still, as WCJ points out, Head Coaches experience a lot of pressure, or more accurately he emphasizes its 'intense stuff'. Obviously pro coaching, as a career usually involves a nomadic life style (pro coaches are almost always fired). Not an easy career to say the least - a very stressful job, but its one they choose, or probably, more accurately, are 'compelled' to pursue.
Coaches have my sympathy. I have often expressed that. And yet it is pro sports. They chose the profession, even if it was a passive choice, as they just kind of ended up there.

They are in the spotlight. They get the scrutiny. Fans have very strong reactions to the product on the field. Fans make judgments of the product and the work.
B.C.FAN wrote:Austin has been fined $10,000 and banned from the sidelines for the Ticats' next game but can work from the spotters' booth.

CFL fines Kent Austin, removes him from sideline for one game, but is it enough?
Thanks for the tape, BCFAN. I just watched. Austin approached the official in a very aggressive manner. The swing of the arm looked aggressive. The actual contact looked unintentional, even though the approach was aggressive. No matter. He deserves the reaction of the league. In talking about the contact, and the possible follow up, Austin was in a kind of denial. I wonder if he ever tried to pick up and hide a flag. LOL

I think he is a terrific coach, but overly intense. One can understand how he seemed to avoid coaching for many years, how he has moved around a lot, et cetera. It ain't easy. As Blitz points out, it can be a matter for stress counseling. How many coaches get stress counseling? Very few, methinks.

We have heard stories of hockey parents attacking coaches and officials and even players of other teams, et cetera. As noted, it is intense stuff.