Boyko Still Waiting for Another NFL Shot

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Looks like Boyko wants to continue to try to play in the NFL this season. Having been cut by two NFL teams so far, he is still living the NFL dream.

Perhaps he will get picked up by an NFL team that suffers an offensive line injury. Perhaps not!

Lions draft pick Boyko prepared to let CFL season play out before signing
Mike Beamish

Oh, the days dwindle down to a precious few. September … November.

With the B.C. Lions reaching the two-thirds pole of the CFL regular-season derby Friday night in Edmonton, top-rated offensive lineman Brett Boyko admits that time is running out if he is to play in Canada this season.

“I’m playing the waiting game to see what transpires,” said the 24-year-old Boyko, who is working out in his hometown of Saskatoon on the expectation that his Arizona-based agent will have some positive news. “I’m going to wait out my next opportunity, if that’s what it comes to. The CFL season is almost over. But the NFL season is just beginning. It’s definitely a possibility, for sure, that I won’t be playing football this season.”

Released by the San Diego Chargers on Sept. 3, and still hoping for another casting call more than two weeks later, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2015 CFL draft seems to be in no hurry to join the Lions, the team that holds his CFL playing rights.

B.C. claimed him in the second round in 2015, 14th overall, after Boyko’s Canadian stock dropped when he signed with the Philadelphia Eagles immediately following the NFL draft. The end of the 2015 NFL draft (May 2) preceded the CFL version by 10 days last year.

While Boyko has yet to dress for a game in professional football — he spent all of last season on the Eagles’ practice roster — Lions head coach and general manager Wally Buono believes in his potential. And Buono knows that a CFL team can never have enough homegrown talent — especially on the O-line, the engine room of a football team.

“He’s a very good prospect,” Buono said. “That doesn’t mean he’s going to come here and be a superstar. Or, he could be. The first thing he’s got to do is get here, get to learn the system and have an opportunity to play. You’re always one or two injuries away (from a crisis). That’s why you can never have too many good players. We don’t expect him to just show up here and play right away. It’s late. But it’s not too late.”

Boyko admits he hasn’t spoken to a Lions representative — with the exception of former college teammate Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, the second-year Lions running back who played with Boyko at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. Communication with the CFL team has gone through his agent, Kevin Omell, whom he trusts implicitly.

“It’s a tough deal,” Boyko explained. “NFL or CFL? What is the right place for me? I don’t know the right answer to that yet. I’m in the same boat as a lot of American players, hoping to get an opportunity later in the (NFL) season. They don’t have the CFL option. Fortunately, I have. There is some interest (on his part) in just waiting for injuries — or something to happen that would open a door for me down south. That’s my agent’s main focus right now.”

An agile giant in high school — he was a 6-foot-7 senior quarterback at St. Joseph secondary in Saskatoon — Boyko was turned into a four-year starter at offensive tackle by the coaching staff at UNLV. A second team All-Mountain West Conference all-star as a senior, he was one of only two Rebels to attend the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

Selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game, Boyko became the first UNLV O-lineman chosen for a national collegiate all-star game in six years. In addition, he was a four-time conference academic honouree.

“I would love to have him here,” said Murray-Lawrence. “I can’t say whether he would start right away or where he would fit in. But you’ve got to be deep in every position. Brett played every O-line position but centre at UNLV. He was a leader, willing to do whatever it took to win games. With his work ethic and leadership skills, I think he’d be a success wherever he plays. At the end of the day, though, he has to decide what’s best for him.”

For now, 32 NFL teams have left Boyko with no option — except running back to train in Saskatoon.
mbeamish@postmedia.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good things come to those that wait. :cr: :cr:
The_Pauser
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Good things come to those that wait. :cr: :cr:
Perhaps, but if he doesn't play for us until say 2017 then what good is a player who hasn't played a competitive down in over 2 years.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Good things come to those that wait. :cr: :cr:
Perhaps, but if he doesn't play for us until say 2017 then what good is a player who hasn't played a competitive down in over 2 years.
He does get to practice and learn if he is on a NFL PR and they have a coach for every two or three players in the NFL or so it seems.

The Lions at this point in the season might be better off if Boyko comes to them for 2017 TC and the team then switches to a 4 NAT. man O line.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is the right decision for everyone. It's too late to come here and contribute this year. Another NFL practice roster stint is probably more profitable and more likely to happen than being added to the Lions' 46-man roster for six games. And if nothing comes up this year, he is more likely to wash the NFL from his system and commit to the Lions for the long term so they can plan to shuffle their roster and their ratio before training camp.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Next year. If the NFL hopes end.

Will we finally be able to go National at left tackle? That would be cool. Very possible. Certainly helps the ratio.

Steward and Boyko. Top talent.

Fabien and Vaillancourt more guard suited.

Stockpiling National talent -- always a good thing.

Go get 'em, Wally.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Next year. If the NFL hopes end.

Will we finally be able to go National at left tackle? That would be cool. Very possible. Certainly helps the ratio.

Steward and Boyko. Top talent.

Fabien and Vaillancourt more guard suited.

Stockpiling National talent -- always a good thing.

Go get 'em, Wally.
I think its important for his NFL hopes to end too WCJ. But then again, Boyko could also be given more tryouts next season and the scenario continues.

If Boyko signed, Wally wanted to play Stewart at left tackle and Boyko at left guard and be able to shift Boyko to tackle if Stewart got hurt. However, with Stewart playing so many games at guard this season I wonder if that order would be reversed if Boyko signed here for next year.

However, if Boyko didn't sign, I still think Wally should move Stewart to left tackle next season and Olifioye back to right tackle. That would allow us to start Vaillencourt at right guard and Fabian at left guard.

Vaillencourt Is too talented to be sat on the bench for a second season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:This is the right decision for everyone. It's too late to come here and contribute this year. Another NFL practice roster stint is probably more profitable and more likely to happen than being added to the Lions' 46-man roster for six games. And if nothing comes up this year, he is more likely to wash the NFL from his system and commit to the Lions for the long term so they can plan to shuffle their roster and their ratio before training camp.
I pondered the same thing. If he signed now he'd have to be placed on the 46 as he'd surely be plucked from the PR in a nanosecond. Sekeres talked yesterday that he was looking for a similar situation as Sinkfield ergo be allowed to give the NFL another crack in the offseason. Whereas Sinkfield as a CFL vet could be signed to a simple 1 year deal and be a FA in the offseason Boyko as a rookie would have to sign for a minimum 1+1 deal. To be allowed to try the NFL again would require BC to release him thus forfeiting his CFL playing rights after only half a dozen games. If Boyko isn't ready to commit to a long term deal now and to play it out then absolutely the best thing to happen is for him to continue pursuing NFL interests for the balance of this season and the offseason thus allowing BC to retain his rights for 2017 and beyond. At this point in time that's when they really want him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

San Diego Chargers have just signed Boyko to their practice roster. Sorry I don't know how to do a link to their 2016 roster moves page.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:San Diego Chargers have just signed Boyko to their practice roster. Sorry I don't know how to do a link to their 2016 roster moves page.
Per NFL Transactions report, the Chargers released DT Kaleb Eulls, LB Ben Gardner and TE Austin Traylor from PS, added T Brett Boyko.
3:23 PM - 4 Oct 2016
San Diego Practice Roster

Finally, Boyko is a 6-6, 301-pound offensive tackle who spent the summer with the Chargers. He appeared in all four preseason games and was one of the final cuts when the Bolts trimmed the roster to 53.  He previously spent 2015 on the Eagles’ practice squad.