Jim Popp out, Jacques Chapdelaine named Als' interim coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:I'm another fan hoping for success in Montreal for JC. He took a ton of heat around here 2010-2013 as our OC. I've wondered whether Wally made a mistake in not promoting Chap to HC in 2012 instead of Mike Benevides. Of course hindsight is 20-20, and perhaps JC's unpopularity (unwarranted?) with many fans at that time may have made that impossible.
It probably would have, but in terms of football knowledge anyway. Chap was more like Wally than Benevedes, in terms of style. Its also easier to be firm and tough when you are the HC/GM than being an offensive coordinator.

JC was not popular with knowledgeable fans here on Lionbackers for a long time, including me. I saw him change and gave him credit but I think I am in the minority on that count. I never thought I would become a Chap fan, in terms of scheme, but I really liked his scheme (overall) starting in 2011.

I thought Chap did an excellent job overall from 2011-2013. The 2013 year was a tough year due to quarterback injuries, playing DeMarco, etc. but Chaps 2011-2012 seasons were excellent.

I'm happy that he is getting an opportunity he likely thought was not going to happen at this time of his career.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Looks like Popp's future with the Als remains uncertain. He will not choose the Head Coach next season, usually the prerogative of the GM.

Its an interesting article below:

The Snap: Popp's future remains uncertain with Alouettes
Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette

Although Jim Popp was “deeply involved” in the talks to have him replaced as the Alouettes’ head coach, according to Andrew Wetenhall, there continues to be uncertainty surrounding the future of the only general manager this franchise has known since returning to the Canadian Football League in 1996.

Popp, who will be entering the final year of his contract in 2017, has been replaced as the bench boss on an interim basis by Jacques Chapdelaine, who will make his debut Sunday afternoon against the Toronto Argonauts (1 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio-690) at a sold-out Molson Stadium.

“I see plenty of possibilities. Maybe Jim doesn’t want to do it,” Wetenhall, whose family owns the team and serves as the lead governor for the team, told the media earlier this week prior to the Als’ annual golf tournament. “Every year for everybody we go through an evaluation of whether or not they should continue in their role, continue in a different role or not continue with the club. We do that every year – with Jim, our head coach, our coaching staff and this year will be no different.”

How involved Popp remains on whether Chapdelaine returns to coach Montreal next season, whether another candidate from within’s promoted, or whether management goes outside the organization remains to be determined. The Wetenhall family, of course, has the final decision on all matters pertaining to the franchise.

“We do not want to leave that decision to Jim,” Wetenhall stated.

General managers, of course, traditionally, have hired the head coach since the two must work closely together – with final approval from the owner. If Popp’s removed from that decision, he might decide too much of his power has been usurped.

Popp has coached the Als on numerous occasions dating back to 2001, when he replaced Rod Rust with one game remaining in the regular season. In his most recent stint, he stepped in for the fired Tom Higgins in August 2015, with the team at 3-5. Popp went 3-6 the remainder of the year – one game was coached by Noel Thorpe – and only won three of 12 games before being replaced by Chapdelaine.

While Popp was a “catalyst” in the decision to make a change, according to Wetenhall, he hardly received a ringing endorsement in this latest incarnation as coach. For starters, Wetenhall complained about the lack of discipline exhibited by the players.

“He has not, in this most recent sequence, proven to be the best coach at this point in time,” Wetenhall said, stating the obvious.
In Popp’s defence, the team suffered its share of injuries this season, eventually traded starting quarterback Kevin Glenn, and could have easily won more games with some luck, breaks and an ability to finish.

Wetenhall said the team’s hectic schedule prevented the organization from making a switch before the bye week.

“He has proven to be a fantastic GM. It’s his strength and where his passion is,” Wetenhall said. “We knew head coach was a position he would be in for a period of time while we made a transition and we’d look to find a permanent head coach. He’d then return to GM,” Wetenhall said.

Wetenhall defended the decision to bring Popp back to coach the team this season. Talks were conducted with players, coaches, Popp and the front office. Keeping things constant, Wetenhall said, was considered the most-prudent move at the time, given the amount of coaching and co-ordinator changes the team has recently undergone.

Wetenhall, as he stated on the conference call two weeks ago, said the promotion of Chapdelaine potentially provides the best opportunity to create an immediate change and see the team’s fortunes altered.

The assistant coaches will be interviewed following the season as management seeks a permanent replacement. Wetenhall reiterated, as he stated on the conference call, the Als need not go unbeaten under Chapdelaine through their final six games. And should the team fail to win one of those games, that doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t return, Wetenhall insisted.

“Of course we want to see him win games,” Wetenhall said. “He has to do a strong job bringing discipline, demonstrating that he can work with other coaches and the players. We want to start to see momentum on the football level.”

One of those who will be interviewed – and one many considered to be the obvious favourite to replace Popp – said he has more pressing matters to be concerned with.

“It’s not my focus, and it can’t be right now. I’m not trying to be politically correct,” said Kavis Reed, the special teams co-ordinator and an assistant head coach. “This team’s 3-9. Mathematically, we still have a (playoff) chance. If any of us get that thought, even in the recesses of our minds, it’ll affect our preparation and our performance.

“The end of the year will take care of itself, and I may surprise you,” continued Reed, who spent three seasons as the Edmonton Eskimos’ head coach. “Sometimes you don’t want to do certain things because you don’t believe it’ll be best for the franchise. The Alouettes are the most important thing to me right now. They help support my family. I have to be of service to them.”

Reed, of course, presented the game ball to Popp following their most-recent match, a 20-17 loss at Hamilton on Sept. 16. Popp coached that game despite knowing one of his sons had been involved in an automobile accident that week. It was reported the following day, when Reed addressed the team, he told them it was Popp’s final game as coach – which Reed vehemently denied and no player confirmed.

“I didn’t want to be the head coach because I wanted to make certain I was doing everything I could (to ensure) Jim Popp would be the head coach,” Reed stated. “You want to make certain you don’t get to this point.

“I’m disappointed in all of us internally. You want to make certain you don’t get to this point. Doing a self-audit, you look at the things you didn’t do that put us in a 3-9 situation. I don’t think it rests solely on the head coach. We all have to look at our culpability.”

hzurkowsky@postmedia.com
twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Chap just won his third game in a row. He finished his last six games 4-2, including a win over the Stamps. He dumped his best receiver Duron Carter as well as Stafford, benched his starting quarterback a couple of games ago, and started Vernon Adams.

Not a bad start for a team that was in disarry when he took over. No help from Popp, who isn't even around. Plus Chap has a French background.

I'll be shocked if Chap is not the Head Coach in Montreal next season. He could even end up being the GM/HC.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Only way I see Chap not getting a shot at HC next season is if Trestman was interested in returning. But if Trestman does want to come back north Toronto should go after him hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I am very happy for Jacques.

It was a very, very tough situation.

Not all that surprised. Very organized. Experienced. Knowledgeable.

Should be HC next year. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Alputt
Champion

Good for Chaps! I know he was controversial on these boards a few years back but I have no problem with him. Al's seems like a good fit with his Quebecois background etc. All the power to him. (Except when they play the Lions of course...)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hey, I don't want to see him with the Lions ever again. But if he can be successful in Montreal I would be happy to see another Canadian head coach in the league.