Leos sign FA receiver Terrell Sinkfield

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
I still don't like putting in a cold quarterback for the two point convert, after the starting quarterback has led the offence for a drive for a game opening touchdown.
I agree. I HATE it. It's one of those things that all CFL coaches seem to be locked into. I get that they've got a "package" that they run, but it usually sucks.
Blitz
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
Blitz wrote:
I still don't like putting in a cold quarterback for the two point convert, after the starting quarterback has led the offence for a drive for a game opening touchdown.
I agree. I HATE it. It's one of those things that all CFL coaches seem to be locked into. I get that they've got a "package" that they run, but it usually sucks.
Here is a summary of two point convert attempts and success so far this season.

B.C. 8/16
Calgary 6/12
Hamilton 6/7
Ottawa 3/5
Edmonton 2/3
Montreal 2/3
Saskatchewan 2/4
Winnipeg 2/2
Toronto 1/2

Our Leos have attempted the most two point converts, followed by Calgary. Both have a 50% success rate.

Hamilton has been very successful so far.

In terms of short yardage (say second and one or third and one) I really hate how offences are setting up for those plays. Sometimes they will send a receiver or back in motion prior to the snap and even hand off on rare occasion but usually, by the time the ball is snapped the backfield is empty and every defender knows the quarterback is keeping it.

I fail to see why offences don't have the tailback lined up behind the quarterback on the short snap. That way the defense doesn't know if its going to be the quarterback keeping it or a handoff to the tailback. If the tailback goes one way, and the quarterback sneaks it to the other side, just that movement alone can make it tough on the linebackers to know who will be getting the football. Plus a handoff to the back on a quick plunge is a good tendency breaker.

With a motion man and a tailback, the offence creates a triple possibility on short yardage and forces the defence to not know who will be getting the football rather than the short yardage play design of an empty backfield with the short yardage quarterback being the only option once the motion man has passed by him.

This season, the defence has stopped the offence 25% of the time on 3rd and one and no wonder why.

On second and shorter, say second and three, quarterbacks are also lined up about 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. With a lot of defenders in the box, a running play is started too deep in the backfield for that situation.

On second down and a distance between 1 and 3 yards, CFL defenses have been successful three out of 10 times this season in stopping an offence in this situation. With running plays averaging about 5 yds. per carry and an average pass completion rate of 70%, the offensive rate of success should be higher, on second and 1-3 yds. But being in a 7 yd. shotgun means the running play takes too long to develop and the pass has to be at least over 10 yds. for it to be a success, and it takes too long.

Sometimes, the things I see defy logic.

In that situation, I don't understand why more CFL offences don't use their quarterback under center, as many NFL teams are now doing, with using both run and pass plays off it. Another option would be for the quarterback to go pistol formation, with the quarterback 4 yards directly behind center. The running play can be quicker, play action can be more effective, and the pass play can also be quicker.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I generally like 2 pt converts except in obvious situations. I just don't care for the common practice of running the back up guy in to execute them. But those stats are interesting. I note that Oregon is big on 2 point converts. Apparently they're 4-11 so far. Not great.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If Buono's stated reason why they go for the 2 pt. conversion is to get points, then they should attempt 2 pt. conversion after every touchdown, not just the first. Makes no sense.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:If Buono's stated reason why they go for the 2 pt. conversion is to get points, then they should attempt 2 pt. conversion after every touchdown, not just the first. Makes no sense.
I prefer the idea of going for 2 until well into the second half then start factoring in the score differential.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sinkfield will start on Friday night against Edmonton.

Sinkfield said the allure of B.C was both Jennings and the money offered by B.C.

The guy can do a lot of things...it will be interesting to see how we use him.

B
.C. Lions hope deep threat speedster gets in 'Sink' quickly
Mike Beamish
Published on: September 21, 2016 | “We threw everything but the kitchen sink at them.”

The B.C. Lions will no longer to be able to say that about their passing attack.

Quarterback Jonathon Jennings’ kitchen does indeed include a Sink this week, with newly acquired receiver Terrell Sinkfield being activated after just three practices with the Canadian Football League team.

“A weapon, like myself, you don’t want to have it on the bench,” said Sinkfield, a deep threat addition to the Lions’ offence. “When you have a weapon, you want to use it. I’ve had success in the CFL. The coaches know that. And they know what I can do.”

Two weeks after ringing up close to 600 yards in net offence (341 through the air, 252 by the overland route) against the Montreal Alouettes, the Lions arrive in Edmonton fresh from a bye week and imagining the possibilities ahead with an added potential difference-maker.

Sinkfield, a 1,000-yard receiver last season with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, before he took a run at NFL employment with the Minnesota Vikings, represents another potent weapon in his team’s game plan. A speed freak who rivals returner-running back Chris Rainey for shake-and-bake moves, Sinkfield’s arrival signals that “the bomb is back” in B.C.

“Kierrie Johnson (2011-2012) was the last, fast, true speedster,” said Geroy Simon, who won a championship in 2011 with Johnson (he scored on a 66-yard touchdown play with Travis Lulay in the third quarter of the 99th Grey Cup game, against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers). “Sinkfield is fast. When he became available, we made sure we jumped on him.”

While Sinkfield could represent the missing link in a Fantastic Five receiver set that includes Manny Arceneaux, Bryan Burnham, Shawn Gore and Marco Iannuzzi, Simon is not about to anoint the current group with the quintet of the early Wally Buono years in B.C. (2003-2006).

“We’re not trying to match those years,” Buono said Wednesday. “All we’re trying to do is get better. I like what’s developing. But Sinkfield hasn’t done anything yet. He’s only practised. We’re going by reputation. But, if you don’t improve yourself athletically … if you don’t improve yourself production-wise, then I don’t see how you’re making progress. We’ll only know that, after we see the effect. If we have another dimension we didn’t have, we’ve improved.”

In 2004 — when the Lions had such an embarrassment of riches, they parked league MOP Casey Printers and started Dave Dickenson in the Grey Cup game — Simon caught 103 catches for 1,750 yards, while Jason Clermont (1,220 yards), Ryan Thelwell (909), Chris Brazzell (906) and Frank Cutolo (786) presented a pick-your-poison picture to opposing secondaries. Paris Jackson was even available as a sixth receiver.

“I don’t want to sound like an old-timer (he is 41), but that was probably the best receiving corps I’ve ever seen,” said Simon, the Lions’ player personnel assistant and director of Canadian scouting. “We were putting up insane numbers. If we’d played in this era, the way the (pass interference) rules are now, we would have thrown for 7,000-8,000 yards. We’d get tackled back then, running our routes, and they wouldn’t call it under the old-time rules.”

Brazzell, a sub sonic jet, was more effective than his stats would indicate. He was the quintessential deep threat who could destroy man-to-man coverages and open up space for underneath throws.

It has been several years since the local football team benefited from having such a speed burner in the passing game. Now they do, in Sinkfield — a complement to a young quarterback with a rocket arm who loves to use it.

“I’ve just been hearing about him (Jennings) this year, for the most part,” Sinkfield said. “I haven’t been really following the CFL. But that was one the biggest decisions in getting out here — the quarterback. I was told he was playing at a high level and feeding the ball to a lot of guys. That played a part.”

Another lure, of course, was compensation. After the Ticats — Sinkfield’s former team — signed quarterback Zach Collaros to a lucrative, long-term deal, Hamilton had less discretionary money to spend on free agents and high-ticket talent. The Lions were able to outbid the Ticats when Sinkfield became available.

Losing receivers Chad Owens, Luke Tasker and Matt Coates to injury last Friday against Montreal — on the same day that Sinkfield signed with the Lions — left the Ticats with that terrible sinking feeling.

“We went over some film, from his time in Hamilton, and we were struck by how diverse he is,” said Lions’ offensive coordinator Khari Jones. “He can run out of the backfield, he can be a receiver on hitch plays, he can return kicks. It’s my job to put him in a place where he can be successful.

“Sometimes chemistry with a quarterback takes time. Sometimes it happens instantly. We hope this is one of those instant cases.”
mbeamish@postmedia.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)