Leos Johnson/Daniels/T.J. Heath Players of the Week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

JERIMIAH'S BIG GAME IS RECOGNIZED

Jeremiah Johnson of our Leos was named one of the CFL Players of the Week.

Johnson ran for 159 yards on 16 carries on Friday night. That total is the most any CFL player has rushed for so far this season.
“Personally, I thought I did well hitting holes but it’s not only about me,” said Johnson. “It’s those front five that are blocking their butts off every single play. I’m grateful for those guys, grateful for the play calling, graiteful for Jonathon throwing the balls and making it hard for them to figure out if it was run or pass.”
That big game gave Johnson the best run average in the CFL - 6.2 yds. per carry

T.J. HEATH IS OUTSTANDING AND TRADED

T. J. Heath, playing his last game for Toronto, had two interceptions, seven tackles, and two pass knockdowns. He is tied for first in the CFL in interceptions. He was named Defensive Player of the Week. Moments after playing such an outstanding game, Heath was told he was traded to Winnipeg. Winnipeg has a lineup of talented players trying to start in their defensive backfield but Heath will be hard to keep out of their lineup. Heath was traded, along with a first and third round draft choice for Drew Willie...an expensive trade for AToronto, who let Collaras and Harris go for nothing.

HOW CAN THE REST OF THE CFL KEEP PACE WITH CALGARY? DENIELS EMERGES AS A STAR/REED CUT FOR SINGLETON

Davaris Daniels has started four games for the Stamps. Daniels had six receptions for 113 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the win over the Eskimos and made a two-point conversion catch in overtime that allowed the Stamps to tie the game on the first overtime possession. Since making his CFL debut on Aug. 19 against our Lions the Stamps rookie receiver has 19 receptions for 344 yards and three touchdowns in those four games. The Stamps just seem to find these kinds of players because John HUfnagel is the best GM in the CFL.

Here is another example of how well the Stamps draft. Their big off-season signing was Taylor Reed. After 12 games they just released him. Why? Because Alex Singleton, their first round draft choice this season (6th) had played so well in Calgary's last two games, that he made Reed expendable. Singleton is a National starting middle linebacker who has a huge upside and he allows Calgary to play an extra International. Hugnagel traded for Messam part way through last season and he has been a huge asset to the Stamps plus he is a National too.

Calgary lnebackers Keon Raymond and Juwan Simpson and defensive end Freddie Bishop all departed during the off-season, with Raymond allowed to leave via free agency and Simpson released outright while Bishop went to the NFL.

During the first half of the season, Hufnagel traded cornerbacks Brandon McDonald and Fred Bennett, as well as safety Jeff Hecht, to the Saskatchewan Roughriders in two separate deals.

Singleton is now the man in the middle in Calgary, while Tommie Campbell and Ciante Evans are the young cornerbacks who look like very good starters for a long time.

Last week, the Stamps let go of veteran defensive tackle Demonte Bolden. The Stamps have a great mix of youth and experience on their defensive line. Their offensive line, even though they have had to use 10 different players as starters this season is the best in the CFL.

In fact the Stamps have scored the most points in the CFL and given up the least amount of points.

Hufnagel developed and mentored Dave Dickenson to be well prepared for the HC position. Wally has had to return to the sidelines.

Calgary continues to set the standard for success. Our Leos prepare, in this bye week, to get ready for the final regular season games of the 2016 season and to prepare to be able to beat the CFL's best in the playoffs.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

Really glad to see Johnson get a Player of the Week nod. He had an awesome game and benefited greatly from the corrected O-Line. A very nice touch on his part to acknowledge their contribution. I have been a fan of his from when he played with the RedBlacks; I like his running style but also how he keeps working after that initial contact AND doing so with ball security.
Plus he just seems like a really cool guy who would great in the locker-room.