Leos/Als Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos return to winning ways at B.C. Place as we defeat the Als 38-27.

With the return of Hunter Steward and Antonio Johnson, the play of our offensive line and the excitement of Chris Rainey were two huge story lines of this game. The exceptional play of Bryan Burnhan was another.

We had a mind blowing 262 yards rushing in this game, as Jeremiah Johnson, Chris Rainey, and Jonathan Jennings all made contributions to that total.

Johnathan Jennings was 24/33 for 341 yds.

Bryan Burnham had 8 catches for 138 yds. Arseneaux (68 yds), Shawn Gore (52 yds), Boldewijn (48 yds), Chris RaiLney (30 yds), and Marco Iannuzzi (8 yds.) all contributed to the 300 yd plus passing attack.

Our defense had 3 sacks in the contest, with Menard, Bazzie, and Westerman each sacking Cato once.

Looking forward to Lionbackers thoughts and analysis of this win. :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

Definitely a lot to go over from tonight's game but certainly the play of the offensive line was very satisfying. The re-insertion of Johnson and Steward paid huge dividends across the board, not least in helping ensure Jennings didn't get imprinted into the turf. That is a very good Alouette front seven that left the game with just the single sack.
South Pender
Legend

A nice win at home. And I agree that the O-line play was a big part of it. Only 18,107 on hand at BC Place to see it though. Jennings really did look sharp tonight, and, of course, the ground game was spectacular. Bryan Burnham made some great catches. I have to wonder, though, whether the Boldewijn experiment should continue. He made some catches tonight, but seemed at times as though his mind wasn't in the game. I'm not sure that Courtney Taylor would be much of an upgrade at this point, but we could use another WR or SB to bring our receiving corps up to the Arceneaux, Burnham, Gore level. Nice time for a bye.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very exciting team we have here.

Go down the list ...

Jennings. Shaking my head at how good this kid is. The calmest and coolest kid I recall seeing at QB. Extremely mobile. Amazing arm. Lifts his teammates' level of play. And he will get better. He is a rare one. OK, I am going to call him Tedford's Legacy. He saw the potential, when many other teams let him go.

Manny.

Burnham.

Gore.

Rainey.

Johnson 24.

OL talent now that the experiments might be over. My gawd I hope so. Keep it as simple as possible. Focus on physicality.

Solly.

Biggie.

Bo.

Arakgi, mostly on STs.

DBs. Parker. Edem. Et cetera.

Menard.

Bazzie.

Jabar.

Morale and motivation are exceptional.

Khari is opening up the playbook. Keep it up.

MW is mixing it up like a master.

It is a treat to watch. I hope we do not go into a shell, again. That wiil always be tempting for us. I hope Wally keeps Dorazio focused on simple effectiveness.

Kudos to all.

One sour note ... Boldewijn. OK, so he is tall. Can he run after catch? Does he have great footwork? Is he a project? Yes. Better to get a guy who is not a project, a guy with demonstrated skills, with game instincts, as in protecting the ball. Gotta call it the way we see it. I thought he had plenty of time to see the tackler in front of him. Normal tackle. No ball protection. Also, he does not look likely to make anybody miss after a catch . If he has speed, I expect it is straight ahead track speed, not football speed. A project, when there are very, very many receivers with skills and football savvy, as with running backs.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
prj
Starter

This was a truly impressive win. Cannot speak too highly of the JJs: 10 and 24. They were a joy to watch perform behind that line, which looked very impressive.

Great spirit, great heart and really good management of the game.

Nice job guys!
:beauty:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a tremendous offensive performance. Jeremiah Johnson has to get a lot of the credit but Hunter Steward and Cody Husband should get some applause in the film room. With Jovan Olafioye beside them, the left side of the offensive line is a powerful force that opened big holes all night and let running backs get through to the second level and make people miss. The Lions averaged 10.1 yards per rush tonight and, as they have so many times this year, they closed out the game by marching down the field on the ground and killing the final four minutes on the clock.

The Lions had over 250 yards rushing and nearly 600 yards in offence. Montreal is a team in chaos with a coach who has no business being on the sidelines but they have had a pretty good defence up to this point. Tonight the Lions kept them on their heels all game with great play-calling, route running, passing, rushing and, most importantly, outstanding blocking up front.

If I were to pick three stars, they would all be on offence: Jeremiah Johnson (159 yards rushing, 3 TDs and a 9.9-yard average), Bryan Burnham (138 yards receiving, an average of 23 yards per catch and great second effort to fight for first downs) and Hunter Steward, who had no stats but helped make everything else possible. I'd give an honourable mention to Jonathon Jennings, who completed 72.7% of his passes for 341 yards and a TD, with no interceptions.

It was a fun atmosphere in the stadium, despite the fairly small crowd. We had a lot of touchdowns scored right in front of us. Even Nik Lewis threw a ball into our section after scoring Montreal's only offensive touchdown late in the fourth quarter. The final score made the game seem a lot closer than it was. Montreal's defensive touchdown kept the Alouettes within two touchdowns of the Lions through much of the second half even though their offence didn't score until there was just four minutes left in the game.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm inclined to give Boldewijn a pass tonight. I was at the game and yes, it wasn't his best so far but even the fumble seemed to be just a matter of a great play on the Als D. He really hardly had time to tuck the ball away before he was hit and I think a lot of receivers lose that ball. He didn't look sharp but he has also been off for 2 plus weeks. He didn't hurt us a lot and I see lots of upside with him. Burnham is a freaking stud IMO. I am starting to put him into the Ben Cahoon category excepting he has more speed.

I was a little less thrilled with the D who seemed to let off the pedal a little bit in the 2nd half. Letting the Als complete some deep passes and getting a TD and then the 2 point convert. They could have been crisper and stifling than they were facing a pretty raw QB.

The teams. Pretty good except with 3 and bit minutes to go, looking completely unprepared for a possible short kick off. I mean a 10 year old would have been able to say "watch for short kick". They fortunately had a timeout to burn but that is football 101. They need to be sharper than that. Leone punts were somewhat uncharacteristic in the 1st half. Not the booming 65 yarders that he has been treating us to lately. He seemed to get that back in the 2nd half and that was good.

There were several times tonight where the Als could have possibly run fakes on FG's or punts. Fortunately, that team really looks like they are fighting battles off the field as well as on. They just didn't look right tonight in any facet. I think the Riders could have easily beaten them as they looked pretty beaten from the get go. Not happy times in Montreal. Popp is in danger of losing this team, if he hasn't already done so. They don't seem inspired to play for him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very impressed with the Lions performance tonight. Ready to play from the opening whistle. First 3 possessions resulted in 3 touchdowns. Very demoralizing if you're the opponent. Offence played well. Offence ready for the Montreal blitz and did an excellent job neutralizing it. Very disciplined; no stupid penalties. Only concern I have is that they need to cut down on the number of big plays defensively. Very strange to see Chapdelaine on the sidelines very quiet and his arms not flapping everywhere.
David
Team Captain

Great team win tonight. The club looked WAY sharper and more focused than the last home game here (Calgary). Dominant performance by the O-line - huge holes for Johnson, and decent protection for Jennings. A more diversified attack too; there seemed to be more screen passes for Jennings and the run-pass mix had Montreal off-balance all night. I've been calling out for Rainey to be inserted into the offense more and can you see what he can do with the ball in his hands? Even when he's just lined up, he can be a tremendous decoy. Defenses have to account for him at all times.

Some slight concerns:

* giving up the long pass has been an issue all season. Reilly is going to pick us apart in 2 weeks if it's not fixed.
* big returns yards being given up on special teams a little more than they should
* lack of turnovers for our D could come back to bite us down the road

Hopefully, that's all stuff that they can straighten out in the coming weeks. I am very satisfied with this win. There's a tremendous spirit and camaraderie on this 2016 Lions team. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The bad stuff list is pretty short...

Boldewijn is a liability. He's not a guy who has the capacity to be relied upon to the extent he was in a closer game this evening.

Leone missed an extra point, then had two punts that were less than optimal. My hope is that he continues to work with someone on the mental part of his game.

In the base defense, where we rush only four, if the front four doesn't get there, the secondary can be vulnerable to the deep pass and it will be a concern against Edmonton and Calgyra moving forward. (Conversely, when we rush three and play zone we do much better).

Everything else? Aces.
SSure
prospect

Boldewijn has huge potential. Big, fast athletic. I think they didn't really want him to play as much as he is but with Moore gone and losing 2 starting receivers just before training camp leaves them short experienced guys who know the system they use. I'm sure the plan was to bring him along this year and not play him much. You can't just throw a rookie in there. Even a vet needs time to learn the system. Remember how lousy Burnham was a few years ago? He's come along pretty good and it's year 3 for him, I think. But year 1 he dropped the ball a number of times when it was put right in the numbers and he screwed up routes like crazy. They kept him o the bench and practice a lot for that first year, and he got better every year. He's looking pretty good so far this year. I think they're looking for a receiver or two right now from the NFL cuts but whoever they bring in will probably be behind Boldewijn because they will need to learn the system and practice it before getting on the field for games, I would imagine.

I'm more worried about the secondary, given the injuries. Like someone else already said, Mike Reilly is coming up twice and they have to play Winnipeg twice also. Hopefully the guys they have will gel together quickly or we'll see some losses to Edmonton and Winnipeg, I think. I'm thinking if they can go 2 for 4 that would be good given the injuries in the secondary. But heck, who knows, maybe they will pull it together and go 3 for 4 or even 4 for 4 with Edmonton and Winnipeg! Then I think they have Sask twice and that should be 2 wins and one more game against and Eastern team, so perhaps 12 or 13 wins after sliding the last 3 or 4.
pennw
Legend

SSure wrote:Boldewijn has huge potential. Big, fast athletic. I think they didn't really want him to play as much as he is but with Moore gone and losing 2 starting receivers just before training camp leaves them short experienced guys who know the system they use. I'm sure the plan was to bring him along this year and not play him much. You can't just throw a rookie in there. Even a vet needs time to learn the system. Remember how lousy Burnham was a few years ago? He's come along pretty good and it's year 3 for him, I think. But year 1 he dropped the ball a number of times when it was put right in the numbers and he screwed up routes like crazy. They kept him o the bench and practice a lot for that first year, and he got better every year. He's looking pretty good so far this year. I think they're looking for a receiver or two right now from the NFL cuts but whoever they bring in will probably be behind Boldewijn because they will need to learn the system and practice it before getting on the field for games, I would imagine.

I'm more worried about the secondary, given the injuries. Like someone else already said, Mike Reilly is coming up twice and they have to play Winnipeg twice also. Hopefully the guys they have will gel together quickly or we'll see some losses to Edmonton and Winnipeg, I think. I'm thinking if they can go 2 for 4 that would be good given the injuries in the secondary. But heck, who knows, maybe they will pull it together and go 3 for 4 or even 4 for 4 with Edmonton and Winnipeg! Then I think they have Sask twice and that should be 2 wins and one more game against and Eastern team, so perhaps 12 or 13 wins after sliding the last 3 or 4.
Boldewiyn is in his second year , not a rookie . I had great hope for him too , but like others have stated , he is not showing it and is more of a liability . As for Burnham early I have to disagree with your assessment too , he showed great hands from the get go and was not benched because he dropped too many . He was looking really good and took a tremendous hit in a game making a catch . That hit ruptured his spleen and he was out for the remainder of the season . That is why he was "benched" , nothing to do with dropping balls .Last season he was coming back from that injury and played very good making many tremendous catches , just like he is doing now . You could see he was going to be great , if you were paying attention , all along , unlike what Boldewijn is showing .
Blitz
Team Captain

It was an impressive home win for our Leos over the Als. Our Leos needed to continue their winning ways in the West, they needed to play exciting winning football at home, and they needed their offensive line to play a brand of football that would open up holes for the running game and better protect Jonathan Jennings.

Over the past few weeks, many Lionbacker posters questioned Dorazio's wisdom of benching Hunter Steward and continuing to play his favorite Cody Adcock. The story of the week, prior to this game, was Buono's decision to return Steward to the starting lineup as well as Antonio Johnson while cutting Adcock.

The first play of this game was an indicator of how different our offensive line play would be. Instead of the usual inside zone read play, Hunter Steward blocked the defensive tackle hard to the outside and sealed him while Husband seal blocked the tackle to his right. There was a hole you could drive a car through and Johnson ripped through the hole for a big first down.

The second play of the game showed how different our pass blocking would be. Jennings had lots of time in the pocket to loft a deep ball to Manny Arseneaux and he high pointed it and came down with the catch for a touchdown.

The tone of the game was set by our offensive line on those two first plays. It would continue and be the story line of a dominating performance that led to over 261 yds.rushing, 341 yds. passing, and 603 yds. of total offence.

Amazing what a few new offensive wrinkles and a couple of personnel changes can create.

Some post game thoughts on our offence, defense, and special teams.

HUNTER LEADS THE HUNT

I, like many other Lionbacker posters questioned the wisdom of taking 223 pound and very talented offensive lineman Hunter Steward out of our starting offensive lineup. Steward had one hell of a game. Yes, he took a holding penalty in the second half of the game that wiped out a score but we ended up scoring a touchdown on that drive anyway. We ran the football most often between Steward and Husband or Steward and Olifioye. They opened huge holes against a very good Montreal defense. On the right side, Antonio Johnson shut down all that has ailed us over the past three games. Fabian had his best game of the year.

When a football team runs for 262 yards, passes 37 times during a game, has 341 yards in receptions, and only gives up one quarterback sack against a defence known for its successful blitzing, your offensive line has had a tremendous game. On our final offensive drive of the game, our offensive line was so dominating, it was a treat to watch.

KHARI ADJUSTS

I'm often a critic of Khari Jones vanilla approach to our spread offence. But not this game. He made some key changes. He made adjustments to our blocking scheme, with some man blocking. He added a misdirection running play with receiver motion that was very successful.

In the passing game, he attacked the middle of the field and used shorter routes at times. We threw a quick hitch to Burnham early in the game. We hit Gore quickly against the blitz in the flats and we also hit Gore on a quick dig pattern in the first half. We lined up Burnham in the backfield and then threw to him as he slipped out inside, after faking a block. We rolled out Jennings a couple of times. We used more receiver motion and more variety on receiver sets.

JEREMIAH JUKES

Jeremiah Johnson was fresh for this game after sitting out the Eastern road trip. His legs were fast. He was motivated to play. Johnson often had huge holes to run into but when he hit the second level he was flying. He made excellent cuts and ran hard with the football too. He was hard to bring down with his second effort. He had 16 carries for 159 yards and a 9.9 yd. run average.

BURNHAM BURNS

Bryan Burnham had 6 catches for 138 yds. and a 23 yd. reception average. He had a 46 yd. reception. He also had a touchdown pass called back on a penalty. But it was how he ran with the football after a catch and his football sense that impressed most. He turned some short receptions into first downs with some tremendous effort and outstanding running. He not only has outstanding hands but he is exciting to watch after a reception. His extra effort is impressive. His route running this season has improved tremendously.

Arseeneux with his touchdown reception and a great double stiff arm on a Montreal defender, added 68 yds. of pass receptions. Boldewijn caught 5 passes for 48 yds. and Shawn Gore had 4 receptions for 52 yards as all of our receivers contributed to the win. Arseneaux had one drop, Gore ran a route too long in the red zone against the blitz, Boldewijn stopped on a fly pattern that frustrated Jennings and he also also fumbed a reception.

Boldewijn is a tall, big target that is still a project. But receivers like Nick Moore, Shawn Gore, and Bryan Burhham had their struggles before emerging as Leo receivers. Its still too early to write Boldewijn off and Jennings continued to throw to him, showing confidence.

But no question, Bryan Burnham is emerging this season as a top CFL receiver who plays the game with a very high level of motivation and skill..

LIGHTNING STORM BEFORE THE RAIN

His nickname is the 'Rain Man' but Chris Rainey is more lightening in a bottle. He may be the fastest player thatI have ever watched play in the CFL. He blows by defenders. He cuts like Willie Fleming. He brings rain and storms to an opposing defense.

Rainey has been lobbying for more offensive reps. Wally said he was only going to give him limited reps as Rainey was too important as a returner. But Rainey saw more action in this game as a tailback than he has all season. That may have been due, in part, because Johnson had more carries and longer runs than our tailback has all season.

Rainey had 5 carries for 61 yds (12.2 yd. average) and 2 catches of 30 yards in pass receptions. He contributed close to 100 yards of offence. But it was two plays that showed his incredible talent. On a crossing pattern, his speed was so phenomenal that the defender covering him was 7 yds. behind the play. Rainey almost scored on the play.

On another play, Rainey made a cut on Chip Cox that blew Cox almost out of his football pants. It was so sharp of a cut at full speed it was shocking to watch. Rainey made an 18 yard run, cutting between Steward and Olifioye and then racing by a defender like he was standing still. For a small man, Rainey also runs very hard.

He is also an excellent decoy. When we sent him on a swing pass right and came back with the quarterback draw, all Montreal linebackers were focused on Rainey.

JENNINGS A JOY

Jonathan Jennings threw for 341 yards with a 72.7% completion rate that would have been over 80% without a couple of receiver drops. Jennings had more time to throw in this game and was only sacked once. The better pass protection made a big difference to his game. But he also threw more quickly at times against the blitz, threw over the middle more, and had an excellent game. Jennings has such a tremendous arm. He can literally throw a 30 yard accurate spiral with a flick of his wrist. He is a special young quarterback who deserved the better protection he got in this game and the running attack that took some pressure off.

DEFENCE A JECKYL AND HYDE SHOW

Defensively, we were excellent in the first half of the game, holding Montreal to two field goals. However, our defence gave up 21 second half points and played poorly.

Playing with our third boundary halfback this season with Gaitor, we also started Kenyan Parker at field corner for the second game in a row. Brandon Stewart played his second game in a row at boundary corner in place of Ronnie Yell. Those changes to a defensive backfield that plays a ton of zone can have an impact.

But it was Mike Edem who had the poorest game in our defensive secondary. He was slow to come across on some plays and misjudged others. Stewart doesn't have the coverage skills or speed that Yell has at boundary corner.

We gave up too many big plays, as our defense has all season. Even with our 3 sacks (Bazzie, Menard, Westerman) we should have gotten better pressure on Cato than we did. We closed on him well when he decided to run but we did not get enough pressure in his face.

Cunningham and Nik Lewis were too wide open on a number of pass plays for Montreal. Cunningham had over 100 yards of receiving. There were times that our tackling was not good enough, leading to a Montreal first down that should have been stopped.

Brooks had four tackles in the game and played better but he has not been the force he was before his injury.

Kato completed 21/29 passes (72.4% average) for 252 yards. With a big lead at half time our defense relaxed too much in the second half.

SPECIAL TEAMS NOT SPECIAL

Anthony Fera out punted Richie Leone in this game. Fera punted for a 48.2 yd. average while Leone only averaged 42 yds. per punt in an off game. Fera kicked four field goals out of four, while Leone missed a convert.

Chris Rainey was the only special team specialist that had a good game for us. Rainey had 3 punt returns for 62 yards, including an impressive 35 yard return. Iannuzzi averaged 11 yards on two punt returns, including a 16 yd. return.

But our kickoff coverage team continues to struggle and gives up too many long returns. We were also asleep on a potential on side kick and had to call a time out. On our kick return team, Shaq Murray Lawrence continues to run the football without a sense of threat.

WRAP

With over 600 yards of offence, with a balanced running and passing attack set up due to dominating offensive line play, this game was a treat to watch.

Lots to work on still but a win to savor! :roar: :roar:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Several have commented on BC not being prepared for the possible onside kick late in the game . But pointed out by the commentator in the game was the fact Duron Carter was not on the field at the time , so they would not try an onside with out their top hands guy , which is what BC was seeing .
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:Several have commented on BC not being prepared for the possible onside kick late in the game . But pointed out by the commentator in the game was the fact Duron Carter was not on the field at the time , so they would not try an onside with out their top hands guy , which is what BC was seeing .
When it is an obvious short kick situation with only a couple of minutes left, then you would see Carter on the field, but with more than 4 minutes left, not having Carter out there is part of the deception. It didn't fool Wally