Leos/Als Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Iannuzzi seems to be another Lyle Green and Rolly Lumbala.
Alputt
Champion

Ianuzzi kinda sucks. He is personable, and all importantly Canadian... But that is about it. Cute kid, but he is not much of a game changer. Sorry Marco!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Alputt wrote:Ianuzzi kinda sucks. He is personable, and all importantly Canadian... But that is about it. Cute kid, but he is not much of a game changer. Sorry Marco!
I disagree. I like his versatility, He is a reliable KR with decent speed and is purrfect for the two returner system that Wally likes. If punters and kickers continue to kick to him he is less likely to break a huge gain compared to Rainy, but the less Rainy touches the ball as a returner the more he gets to touch the ball on O, so Rainy becomes just as big a threat.

I like what Rainy brings when inserted into the O as the opponent doesn't know if Rainy is going to catch a pass, run with the ball or be a decoy.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great to everyone's thoughts on the game.
Blitz, your game breakdown and thoughts are a treat. You mentioned Jennings being frustrated with Boldewijn when he kind of quit on a fly pattern. He was very animated on the sidelines with him, which was surprising given he is typically the exactly the opposite. Maybe because he has been getting heat from coaches for too many errant deep balls? I was so busy watching that instead of what was happening on the field. Glad you saw that too!

Wally mentioned on the TSN 1040 post-game show the team will return to the practice field next Saturday and the club will be bringing in three new players this week — a pair of defensive backs and an offensive lineman. The OL is not Boyko for now. The club has reached out to him but Wally expects he will wait a week or two to see if any injuries might open up another NFL opportunity. Wally also added more NFL cuts will be brought in early October when the rosters are expanded.

I agree with David and others. Washington has done a brilliant job holding that secondary together but too many huge games on the horizon against quality QBs and receivers (Edmonton!) to think it can hold up long term. Not only are Gaitor and Fenner rookies, but Stewart being moved to short side corner is a third change. If the Lions could add a DB with some NFL experience who can step in and play right away it would be big for the stretch run.

Burnham has become my favourite Lion receiver since the days of Geroy. Great route runner, excellent hands and has another gear after the catch. Reminds me a little of #81 and even more so the Seahawks' Doug Baldwin.

The Lions patience with him and Alex Bazzie have paid off in a huge way this season.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:This fan still thinks Iannuzzi can deliver. If anyone can make him shine, it is Jennings....
There was a time WCJ, when I think you and I were the only ones on this board who were even remotely praiseworthy of Iannuzzi, or at least saw his potential. This is his best year by far; I'm really liking his game.

I have always been impressed by his versatility and punt return ability with that 'straight ahead' speed, but he's also seeing the ball a lot more at the field-side receiver position and he's become more sure-handed.

Just like Anthony Parker in Calgary who's having a breakout year, sometimes it just takes time for these talented Nationals to develop at the pro level.

DH :cool:
Ianuzzi kinda sucks. He is personable, and all importantly Canadian... But that is about it. Cute kid, but he is not much of a game changer. Sorry Marco!. Alputt
I don't think Iannuzzi sucks. I have just always believed that his production often did not match his starting status.

From 2011-2015 Iannuzzi played 80 regular season games with our Leos, with 53 starts. During that time, he had 78 receptions for 877 yards. That averaged out to 175 yds. of reception yards per season or less than 10 yds. of reception yards per game.

Iannuzzi was given the starting wide side receiver spot in 2011 over Paris Jackson. He was underutilized by all of our starting quarterbacks during that time period from Lulay to DeMarco to Glenn. Whenever Paris Jackson got some rotational reps in that position, Lulay would throw to him almost immediately, showing confidence in him but Jackson was kept on the bench in favor of Iannuzzi.

Iannuzzi was mainly a returner in college at Harvard. In his final season there in 2010 he had six receptions for 119 yards.

The wide side outside receiver position does not need to be mostly ignored. Ryan Thelwell had over 1,000 receiving yards playing that position for our Leos in 2005. Thelwell had 572 yds. of receptions in 2006 and 733 yds. in 2007.

This is Iannuzzi's 6th season as a starter. He has 16 receptions so far this year, out of 31 targets for 204 yds. in 10 games. That is a bit higher than his previous average per season. However, based upon receptions per number of times targeted, throwing the football to Iannuzzi has resulted in the least success rate per throw of any of our Leo receivers.

Adekolu, at 6'4, 200 pounds is Iannuzzi's backup and our depth receiver for games but he never gets any game rotational reps. He's displayed great hands and the ability to get open in practices and exhibition games. Shaq Johnson is a burner, who could add incredible speed to the position, having run a 4.39 40 yard dash...that is almost Chris Rainey type of speed. Brett Blaszko, at 6'4" and 204 pounds runs a 4.54 40 yd. dash.

At 29 years of age, we are going to have to transition that position to another National receiver not too far down the road.

Iannuzzi is 6'1" and 192 pounds. He has decent size and very good speed. Yet, its rare that we ever successfully throw to him deep. He is often ignored in the flat against zone defenses.

While Jennings will continue to use Iannuzzi as part of our passing attack, I just don't see him as a receiver we will throw a lot of footballs to in the future. Calgary's Anthony Parker has 40 receptions out of 59 targets and 538 yds, so far this season playing that position for Calgary and he is deep threat for the Stamps.

I wonder, next season, if Boyko signs, and Steward moves to left tackle, where we would use that extra International. We could always use the spot for another International receiver. But likely we will use it on the defensive line.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

With 6 games left in the schedule and a bye week Buono is doing things differently this season.

In a Mike Beamish article, he discusses some of those changes.
Once entrenched in the ways that made him successful, the controlling coach of the 1990s now incorporates hip-hop music into warm-ups before B.C. Lions’ practices — practices that never seem to go as long as the stated hours. His cast-iron approach has turned malleable in the belief that reaching a different generation requires a change in philosophy.
Buono cancelled a scheduled run down and gave his players a full 7 days off.
“It’s a long season,” Buono said in the afterglow of Friday’s 38-27 win over the Montreal Alouettes.“As much as I used to work my players hard, I don’t do that anymore. You’ve got to keep them fresh. Otherwise, it catches up to you. Believe me, I know.”

Like fish, it’s all-important to keep a football team from going stale, believes the 66-year-old head coach with new perspective.

Buono cancelled a scheduled rundown for his players on Saturday, allowing them a full seven days away before they reconvene for practice at the end of a bye week on Sept. 17. Then, after one light practice, the Lions are scheduled to get another one-day break before resuming their regular routine in preparation for a Friday, Sept. 23 game in Edmonton.
Bryan Burnham, who had 138 yds in receptions against Montreal but more impressively, 62 of those yards came after making the catch.
While Buono can afford to be magnanimous with a team that has rewarded him with an 8-3 record, he knows six of those wins have come against weaker East Division opponents, including Montreal — twice.
With 5 of our 6 remaining games against Western opponents, including two with Winnipeg and two with Edmonton, all games will be important.

It was a shame that Edmonton lost to Calgary in overtime. It will be tough for our Leos to finish 1st in the West now but it does give us some extra room in terms of Edmonton. Winnipeg is our greatest threat to knock us out of our second place spot.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Anyone notice a player on the sideline wearing the #1 jersey? I thought I saw that a few times but could not figure out who it was .
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am glad that Stamps beat Esks as it helps the Lions chances of finishing second. Had Esks won the Stamps would have still been 1 point ahead in the standings, meaning that if Lions were to go undefeated the rest of the way (unlikely imo) then to finish first Lions would have to rely on some other team beating Stamps (unlikely imo).
VictoriaFan
Starter

I would rather see Ianuzzi on kick returns than Shaq Murray, who really sucks. As far as the 2 backs compared to Harris, Harris went down with a lower body injury last game, not sure who the backup is but when everything revolves around one guy and he gets injured.... as much as I was sad to see him go , I do like the two back system.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Anyone notice a player on the sideline wearing the #1 jersey? I thought I saw that a few times but could not figure out who it was .
Adekolu's #83 jersey ripped or became damaged in some way so the equipment guys took it to the locker room and gave him a spare jersey, which happened to be #1.
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Great to everyone's thoughts on the game.
Blitz, your game breakdown and thoughts are a treat. You mentioned Jennings being frustrated with Boldewijn when he kind of quit on a fly pattern. He was very animated on the sidelines with him, which was surprising given he is typically the exactly the opposite. Maybe because he has been getting heat from coaches for too many errant deep balls? I was so busy watching that instead of what was happening on the field. Glad you saw that too!

Wally mentioned on the TSN 1040 post-game show the team will return to the practice field next Saturday and the club will be bringing in three new players this week — a pair of defensive backs and an offensive lineman. The OL is not Boyko for now. The club has reached out to him but Wally expects he will wait a week or two to see if any injuries might open up another NFL opportunity. Wally also added more NFL cuts will be brought in early October when the rosters are expanded.

I agree with David and others. Washington has done a brilliant job holding that secondary together but too many huge games on the horizon against quality QBs and receivers (Edmonton!) to think it can hold up long term. Not only are Gaitor and Fenner rookies, but Stewart being moved to short side corner is a third change. If the Lions could add a DB with some NFL experience who can step in and play right away it would be big for the stretch run.

Burnham has become my favourite Lion receiver since the days of Geroy. Great route runner, excellent hands and has another gear after the catch. Reminds me a little of #81 and even more so the Seahawks' Doug Baldwin.

The Lions patience with him and Alex Bazzie have paid off in a huge way this season.
I think Jennings got uncharacteristically frustrated with Boldewijn because he quit on his pattern and it could have been an interception.

Burnham is now 5th in receiving, has one of the two best reception per catch averages in the CFL, has great hands, and his YAC is impressive.

I'm worried about our secondary too. We had already given up too many big plays this season without losing Ronnie Yell. The three changes ( Stewart to boundary corner, Parker to field corner, and Gaitor as the third defensive back to play boundary half back are tough to deal with.

Stewart is not going to be a Ronnie Yell at boundary corner. He was the weakest of our defensive backs at wideside corner. Hard to know whether we will continue with Parker on the wide side or use Fenner but we will have to dress an International defensive back anyway. Mike Edem didn't have a good game against Montreal but he has solidified the position.

Good that we will be bringing in some NFL cuts at defensive back.

We're going to be playing some very good offences in Ottawa and Edmonton over the next six weeks and Winnipeg's offence is more dangerous with Nichols. Nichols has completed an impressive 70.7% of his passes and has a 104 quarterback efficiency average.
Blitz
Team Captain

As we go into this bye week and prepare for the last and very important games of the schedule, its a good time to review where our Leos are at.

We are in second place, one game ahead of the Bombers and 3 points behind Calgary.

Our offence has scored the 3rd amount of points in the CFL. Only Calgary and Edmonton have scored more. We lead the CFL in time of possession and rushing. We are 6th in passing yards.

Defensively we have slid. We now rank 5th in terms of points scored against. We lead the CFL in sacks but rank 8th in terms of interceptions.

We have the best punt average in the CFL and the best punt return and kickoff return average.

We have the worst field goal percentage and we rank poorly in terms of kickoff coverage.

Jonathan Jennings is 3rd in CFL passing yards and his pass percentage and quarterback efficiency average continues to improve. He leads the CFL in game winning drives and is second in rushing among CFL quarterbacks.

Bryan Burnham leads our team in receiving, 5th in the CFL, and his 18 yd. per catch average is only bested by Ottawa's Elingson. With Arseneaux 7th in CFL receiving, we have two Top 10 receivers and Gore, who is 14th in CFL receiving gives us three Top 20 receivers.

Alex Bazzie leads the CFL in quarterback sacks and Sol E. and Bighill are second and third in CFL tackles.

Chris Rainey is the CFL's best punt returner.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Iannuzzi seems to be another Lyle Green and Rolly Lumbala.
I really like the way Calgary used Cote. They will line him up as a tight end and send him deep.

They will also line him up off-set as a second back, have him brush block. Bo Levi will fake to Messam and then hit Cote in the flat.

Lyle Green was the most underutilized talent in the history of our Leos.

Lumbala has 3 catches this season for 26 yds. (8.7 yd. average)

I would love to see us introduce a screen to Lumbala. It could go for big yards. Put Rainey in the game at tailback, look to him on a swing pass and watch the defense shift. Then come back to Lumbala on the other side of the play. With three lineman ahead of him, he could have a lot of field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

VictoriaFan wrote:I would rather see Ianuzzi on kick returns than Shaq Murray, who really sucks. As far as the 2 backs compared to Harris, Harris went down with a lower body injury last game, not sure who the backup is but when everything revolves around one guy and he gets injured.... as much as I was sad to see him go , I do like the two back system.
I agree. Shaq Murray Lawrence has been a disappointment on kick returns IMO
pennw
Legend

VictoriaFan wrote:I would rather see Ianuzzi on kick returns than Shaq Murray, who really sucks. As far as the 2 backs compared to Harris, Harris went down with a lower body injury last game, not sure who the backup is but when everything revolves around one guy and he gets injured.... as much as I was sad to see him go , I do like the two back system.
I agree with you on Ianuzzi vs Shaq.
As far as our RB situation is concerned , the way we are doing it now vs last year with Harris , I think we are way better off . No knock on Harris' ability but the guys we have now are IMO just as good or better . But the real advantage is as you say in the fact that with Harris there is a problem should he get injured . But that is the lesser of two situations where we are hugely advantaged and that is in the attitude factor. Harris played very hard and all but his opinion of himself and his role left alot to be desired , he pouted when evr things did not go well and had a me-first attitude that came through even to the point of many times venting in the media against the team . That was inexcusable. The two we got now, are so far superior in that regard , that now I'm glad Harris is gone seeing how much better our situation is .