2016 BC Lions - The New Cardiac Kids?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

There are some parallels to be drawn between the 2016 Lions team and the 1977 squad. Namely, two surprising teams that got the league's attention by fashioning numerous comeback wins in the dying minutes.

For those too young to remember, 1977 was a magical year for Lions fans. The franchise had been in the doldrums. You think we had it bad last year? Try 12 years without achieving a better than :500 record. And with the glory days of the team's first Grey Cup in 1964 but a distant memory, fans had bailed. The club had been mired in debt. Just two years earlier (1975), the team had to sell debentures to stay afloat, with Labatt's brewery also agreeing to provide sponsorship money.

Not much was expected in 1977. A new coach arrived on the scene in Vic Rapp, an authoritarian who promptly got everyone's attention by cutting all-star DE Wayne Smith for arriving late to training camp! At that same camp came former Nebraska stand-out QB Jerry Tagge, a first-round NFL bust (Packers). He had a powerful arm but roots for feet. But he resurrected both his career (passing for 2,787 yards and becoming a runner-up for Most Outstanding Player) and hope for Lions fans after an unexpected 10-6 season, including a thrilling win in the West Semi-Final against Winnipeg. Perhaps it was the way in which the team earned those 10 victories that captured the imagination of its fan base.

Four of those 10 victories came in the final minute (JJ has already led this 2016 club to 4 late victories). And, just like Jennings seems to do by finding The Manny Show at key times, Tagge would calmly march the team down the field and typically find Jim Young in the end-zone or would put them in field goal range, earning the nickname Jerry Tagge and "The Cardiac Kids." While JJ is more athletic and Tagge more cerebral, both were unflappable under pressure.

Like Chris Rainey, we even had a dynamic versatile kick returner that year in "Neon" Leon Bright who would bring fans out of their seats with slick moves and blazing speed. It was a fun year!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Thnx David. Nostalgia road works. I still remember when Neons' lights went out on Moday Night Football. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
CardiacKid
Legend

I was thinking about this after the 4th last minute victory this year. They certainly need to be considered as part of that same pantheon. I was very young when the Cardiac Kids emerged but I think their impact on Lion's fans imagination was greater simply because things had been so disappointing and frustrating for years previous.
I certainly remember how much my family was overjoyed when the Lion's were winning more than losing. And how the "auld enemies" in the West were no longer seemingly unbeatable.
With the Grey Cup of 2011 still relatively fresh in our memory, it might make the casual fan not appreciate the current team's accomplishments. But I certainly think they are worthy recepients of the Cardiac Kids moniker.