Mid Season CFL Player Awards

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

3 Down Nation has selected its Mid-Season Player Awards

They are:

Most Outstanding Rookie: Kevin Fogg, Winnipeg
Most Outstanding Lineman: Spencer Wilson, Calgary
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: Maurice Leggett, Solaman Eliminian (tie)
Most Outstanding Canadian: Andrew Harris
Most Outstanding Player: Bo Levi Mitchell
However, I would disagree with some of the choices.

My choices would be:

Most Outstanding Rookie: Louchez Purifoy)
Most Outstanding Lineman: Spencer Wilson, Calgary
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: Solaman Eliminian
Most Outstanding Canadian: Andrew Harris
Most Outstanding Player: Adarius Bowman, Chris Williams (tie)
Special Teams: Chris Rainey

I chose Louchez Purifoy over Kevin Fogg as Most Oustanding Rookie because Purifoy has 3 forced fumbles, 2 quarterback sacks, and 1 interception (52 yd. return) and 1 fumble return for 47 yds and a touchdown.

Kevin Fogg, who was selected over Purifoy has 3 interceptions (25 yds. in interceptions returns), 1 quarterback sack, and 1 fumble return for 1 yard.

I chose Sol E. and Maurice Leggett in a tie as the Most Outstanding Defensive Player. Leggett leads the CFL in interceptions (5), for 208 yds. He has 1 quarterback sack, and 3 defensive touchdowns.

Sol E has 70 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks (leads the CFL in linebacker sacks), one interception, and 1 forced fumble. Both nosed out Adam Bighill who has 68 tackles, 2 quarterback sacks, and 1 interception (28 yds) and no forced fumbles and Charleson Hughes ( 7 quarterback sacks, 2 forced fumbles)

While I had to agree with the selection of Andrew Harris, based upon combined yards. if I personally had to select one as my running bac k I would I chose Jerome Messam over Andrew Harris has more carries (128) to Messam (103) and Harris leads the CFL in rushing (575 yds) to Messam's 542 yds, second in the CFL. But Messam averages 5.3 yds. per carry to Harris 4.5 yds. per carry. Messam has 5 rushing touchdowns whereas Harris has 4 rushing touchdowns.In receiving, Harris has 38 receptions for 351 yds (9.2 yd. average). Messam has 29 receptions for 275 yds. for a 9.5 yd. average.

For Most Outstanding Player, after 9 games, Adarius Bowman has 956 yds. of receiving (15.2 yd. average), 5 touchdowns, and 5 catches for over 30 yds. After 10 games, 991 yds. of receving (15.2 yd. average) 10 receptions of over 30 yds. and 8 touchdowns. Both are on pace for close to 2,000 yds. of receiving this season.

Quarteracks may be more valuable but I see Bowman and Williams excelling at their position at a higher rate than Mike Reilley and Bo Levi Mitchell. Quarterbacks may be more valuable but this award says outstanding. Mike Reilley would be my choice over Bo Levi Mitchell. Reilley has passed for more yards, has a better completion average, has thrown for more touchdowns and has a better quarterback efficiency average than Bo Levi Mitchell.

If there was a Most Valuable Player Award, my choice would be Jonathan Jennings. He is third statistically behind Reilley and Bo Levi Mitchell but he has led our Leos to four game winning drives and also leads all CFL quarterbacks in rushing,
Mid-season CFL player awards
3 Down Nation

Most Outstanding Rookie – HB Kevin Fogg, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Fogg has been dynamite for the Bombers on both defence and special teams this season. Providing consistently strong coverage at the tough weak-side halfback spot, Fogg has recorded 46 tackles (first among defensive backs), three interceptions (tied for second league-wide), and a sack in nine starts this season. The Liberty product has also been stellar in spot duty as a returner, averaging 17.2 yards per punt return (second in the league) with two touchdown returns that were called back due to penalty.

Honourable mentions: SB Ricky Collins Jr., Saskatchewan Roughriders; S Taylor Loffler, Winnipeg Blue Bombers; G Philippe Gagnon, Montreal Alouettes; CB Jonathon Mincy, Montreal Alouettes

Spencer Wilson

Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman – G/T Spencer Wilson, Calgary Stampeders

This 2015 CFL all-star has continued his excellent play this season, starting at both right guard and right tackle for an offensive line that is allowing just 1.1 sacks per game. Wilson’s versatility provides the Stamps with ratio flexibility — Dan Federkeil, the Stamps’ starting Canadian right tackle, has missed an average of 6.5 games per season due to injury since 2013 — without a drop-off in play. Calgary has rushed for 793 yards this season, second-best in the CFL.

Honourable mentions: T Jovan Olafioye, B.C. Lions; C Pierre Lavertu, Calgary Stampeders; T Tony Washington, Edmonton Eskimos; G Ryan Bomben, Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Most Outstanding Special Teams Player – RB Chris Rainey, B.C. Lions

Even in a season that has featured a number of kickers operating at exceptionally high levels, Rainey still deserves the nod for this award. Rainey’s 17.8-yard punt return average, should be able to maintain it, would break a CFL record. It also doesn’t hurt that the second-year Lion has two touchdown returns for touchdowns this season, tied for most in the league.

Honourable mentions: KR Brandon Banks, Hamilton Tiger-Cats; K Sean Whyte, Edmonton Eskimos; K/P Justin Medlock, Winnipeg Blue Bombers; K/P Brett Maher, Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Most Outstanding Defensive Player – DE Charleston Hughes, Calgary Stampeders

Age hasn’t slown down this nine-year Stampeder, who, at 32, has re-established himself as the CFL’s premier pass rusher. With seven sacks and two forced fumbles on the season, Hughes is producing at an elite clip despite consistently receiving extra attention from opposing teams.

Honourable mentions: LB Adam Bighill, B.C. Lions; LB Maurice Leggett, Winnipeg Blue Bombers; DT Almondo Sewell, Edmonton Eskimos; DE Alex Bazzie, B.C. Lions; DE John Chick, Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Harris

Most Outstanding Canadian – RB Andrew Harris, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

This award could easily go to Hamilton’s Ted Laurent, but offensive players tend to win-out at award time. Harris is on pace for a career-high 1,150 rushing yards this season — an impressive feat given the fact that rushing is down league-wide this year — and has recorded 351 receiving yards, first among running backs and seventh among Canadians.

Honourable mentions: DT Ted Laurent, Hamilton Tiger-Cats; WR Shawn Gore, B.C. Lions; RB Jerome Messam, Calgary Stampeders; SB Brad Sinopoli, Ottawa Redblacks

Bo Levi Mitchell

Most Outstanding Player – QB Bo Levi Mitchell, Calgary Stampeders

Quarterbacks and receivers will dominate this year’s M.O.P. conversation given the pass-happy nature of the league this season. Mitchell gets the nod for his ability to consistently put his team in a position to win with 2,857 passing yards, 15 touchdowns, and an ultra-low interception percentage of 1.3. With convincing wins over the Lions and Tiger-Cats over the past two weeks, Mitchell has the Stampeders running away with ultra-competitive West Division by the mid-season mark.

Honourable mentions: QB Mike Reilly, Edmonton Eskimos; QB Trevor Harris, Ottawa Redblacks; WR Chris Williams, Ottawa Redblacks; SB Adarius Bowman, Edmonton Eskimos
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Excellent choices Blitz.

An interesting topic came up on TSN 1040 the other day with Matt Sekeres and Jeff Patterson regarding the impressive young talent the Lions have assembled and the chances of how many could be headed to the NFL in the next couple years, at least to training camps. The conversation was started because of Wally's praise of Purifoy and how he knows it's a matter of time before he gets another chance in the NFL.
From a talent and skill set standpoint, Wally said the last player to show this much potential in his first year was Cam Wake.

Sekeres and Patterson went on to also include:

Chris Rainey: At 28, again looking to re-establish himself for another NFL shot as a returner. Window is smaller but similar age to when Stefan Logan initially left the Lions for Detroit. As fast as anyone down south.

Jonathan Jennings: At 24, if he continues to improve over next 2 years then it has to spark interest from NFL teams. Fair enough, but if Jennings is a prospect then Bo Levi Mitchell should be as well at 26 and 2 inches taller then Jennings. Unsure what his contract situation is with the Stamps.

Farhan also mentioned on the post-game show Wednesday a number of NFL teams were asking him about Leone, If his average stays above 50 he is bound to get a look somewhere being just 24.
Lionsfan65
Starter

Blitz wrote:3 Down Nation has selected its Mid-Season Player AwardsThey are: Most Outstanding Rookie: Kevin Fogg, WinnipegMost Outstanding Lineman: Spencer Wilson, CalgaryMost Outstanding Defensive Player: Maurice Leggett, Solaman Eliminian (tie) Most Outstanding Canadian: Andrew HarrisMost Outstanding Player: Bo Levi MitchellHowever, I would disagree with some of the choices.My choices would be:Most Outstanding Rookie: Louchez Purifoy)Most Outstanding Lineman: Spencer Wilson, CalgaryMost Outstanding Defensive Player: Solaman EliminianMost Outstanding Canadian: Andrew HarrisMost Outstanding Player: Adarius Bowman, Chris Williams (tie)Special Teams: Chris RaineyI chose Louchez Purifoy over Kevin Fogg as Most Oustanding Rookie because Purifoy has 3 forced fumbles, 2 quarterback sacks, and 1 interception (52 yd. return) and 1 fumble return for 47 yds and a touchdown.Kevin Fogg, who was selected over Purifoy has 3 interceptions (25 yds. in interceptions returns), 1 quarterback sack, and 1 fumble return for 1 yard.I chose Sol E. and Maurice Leggett in a tie as the Most Outstanding Defensive Player. Leggett leads the CFL in interceptions (5), for 208 yds. He has 1 quarterback sack, and 3 defensive touchdowns.Sol E has 70 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks (leads the CFL in linebacker sacks), one interception, and 1 forced fumble. Both nosed out Adam Bighill who has 68 tackles, 2 quarterback sacks, and 1 interception (28 yds) and no forced fumbles and Charleson Hughes ( 7 quarterback sacks, 2 forced fumbles)While I had to agree with the selection of Andrew Harris, based upon combined yards. if I personally had to select one as my running bac k I would I chose Jerome Messam over Andrew Harris has more carries (128) to Messam (103) and Harris leads the CFL in rushing (575 yds) to Messam's 542 yds, second in the CFL. But Messam averages 5.3 yds. per carry to Harris 4.5 yds. per carry. Messam has 5 rushing touchdowns whereas Harris has 4 rushing touchdowns.In receiving, Harris has 38 receptions for 351 yds (9.2 yd. average). Messam has 29 receptions for 275 yds. for a 9.5 yd. average. For Most Outstanding Player, after 9 games, Adarius Bowman has 956 yds. of receiving (15.2 yd. average), 5 touchdowns, and 5 catches for over 30 yds. After 10 games, 991 yds. of receving (15.2 yd. average) 10 receptions of over 30 yds. and 8 touchdowns. Both are on pace for close to 2,000 yds. of receiving this season. Quarteracks may be more valuable but I see Bowman and Williams excelling at their position at a higher rate than Mike Reilley and Bo Levi Mitchell. Quarterbacks may be more valuable but this award says outstanding. Mike Reilley would be my choice over Bo Levi Mitchell. Reilley has passed for more yards, has a better completion average, has thrown for more touchdowns and has a better quarterback efficiency average than Bo Levi Mitchell. If there was a Most Valuable Player Award, my choice would be Jonathan Jennings. He is third statistically behind Reilley and Bo Levi Mitchell but he has led our Leos to four game winning drives and also leads all CFL quarterbacks in rushing,
Good selections Blitz, I agree for the most part, however I'm not sure that Purifoy would count as a rookie, as I believe he bounced around the NFL for a while if I'm not mistaken.
Blitz
Team Captain

Good selections Blitz, I agree for the most part, however I'm not sure that Purifoy would count as a rookie, as I believe he bounced around the NFL for a while if I'm not mistaken. Sammy Green
I believed the award can go to any player who is playing his first season in the CFL Sammy. But you are right that a rookie can’t have played or dressed in a NFL or CFL game prior to the season.

Purifoy was expected to be drafted somewhere in the middle rounds after flashing plenty of athletic ability during his time with the Florida Gators but off-field issues resulted in him not being selected as a draft choice. He was released by Indianapolis for minor transgressions and failed his physical in Seattle.

He has been a model citizen with our Leos. His two quarterback sacks, one interception (52 yds.), three forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery (47 yds.) and one defensive touchdown, combined with his very good pass defense as nickel back this year have been very valuable to our Leos.

His talent and play in the CFL this season will likely get him another NFL shot.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)