Leos/Argos Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

In a mostly lack-lustre game there was one moment that may prove to be the turning point for the BC Lions for years to come. With just under 3:30 remaining (an eternity in the CFL), Khari Jones called for rushing play to start the possession. The gain was 6. At that moment I saw Jennings look to his bench and it was clear that both he and his OC knew that he was going to run the clock out and let the Lions win with a walk off FG. This was not a case of just giving the ball to a dominant running back and letting him eat up the clock, this was a masterfully executed drive. For a little over 3 minutes, Jennings looked like an elite QB. The only guy you want at the controls when the game is on the line. He made every right decision, made every play he need to make. It wasn't dramatic, it was methodical. It was confident.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Question. Leone kicked a 31 yard FG to win the game. His punting average is 50.6 yard, so that mean he was right in the range of where he could have punted through the end zone for a game winning rouge. Now I get that the odds of making a 31 yard FG are probably better than a kicking a 52 yard punt, but is there a point where the Lions may have asked Leone to punt for the win? What if the ball had been on the 5 yard line with no time remaining?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As each game unfolds, we see the special talent of Jonathon Jennings. It is remarkable, and it is happening right in front of our eyes. Way more mobile and elusive than I thought last year. Incredibly poised in the pocket. Able to make all the throws. Able to read the D. Able to find all his receivers. Plus he raises the level of play of his teammates.

Kudos to Wally and his staff for the deep well of talent on the team. We opened the chequebook to an extent.

Kudos to MW for finally delivering the aggresive, attacking defence he had talked about in years past. This fan still has concerns about size at DT, but MW is making it work.

Solly :thup:

Edem :thup:

Bazzie :thup:

OL. Been there and done it since 2003. Pass blocking skills? Or do we just rely on the skill level they bring on arrival? Schemes? Between Khari and Dan D, we need quick hitters and pressure relief planning. JJ has to eat the ball far too frequently. Probably better to eat it at times than try to chuck it out of bounds, get tipped, etc. The risk here is of injury to Jennings. We put way too much pressure on his calm, cool shoulders. Personnel judgment? Shipping off Draheim? Bringing in Adcock? Who starts? Who sits? Seems like the usual schmozzle of experiments. Heck, Wally even called it an experiment this year. Whatever. It is what it is, and it has been that way since 2003, with the exception of last year.

Much to like about this team. It would be nice if we could get Jennings the kind of time in the pocket available to Bo Levi in Calgary.

Manny :thup:

Allen :thup:

Leone :thup:

Lokombo :thup:

Jennings :thup:

Great win, but far, far from a sure thing. Wally called it magic from our young quarterback. Yup.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:In a mostly lack-lustre game there was one moment that may prove to be the turning point for the BC Lions for years to come. With just under 3:30 remaining (an eternity in the CFL), Khari Jones called for rushing play to start the possession. The gain was 6. At that moment I saw Jennings look to his bench and it was clear that both he and his OC knew that he was going to run the clock out and let the Lions win with a walk off FG. This was not a case of just giving the ball to a dominant running back and letting him eat up the clock, this was a masterfully executed drive. For a little over 3 minutes, Jennings looked like an elite QB. The only guy you want at the controls when the game is on the line. He made every right decision, made every play he need to make. It wasn't dramatic, it was methodical. It was confident.
That final drive was the icing on the cake in what I thought was an outstanding, hard-fought defensive battle. Solomon Elimimian alone provided enough entertainment to thrill me, with 14 defensive tackles, an INT, sack and a key pass knockdown that ended a fourth-quarter Argo drive.

Defence wins championship and the B.C. defence was back in fine form in this game. I thought it was going to be a long night when Ricky Ray attacked Keynan Parker and Anthony Gaitor on the opening TD drive, completing 3 passes for 62 yards. I don't know what the Lions did to adjust after that, but the defence did an outstanding job. Ray passed for only 151 yards the rest of the way, with only 3 completions of over 10 yards, the longest being 18 yards. Ray couldn't find anyone open downfield and dumped the ball off all night, and Elimimian was there to make tackles. The Argos scored only two field goals the rest of the way.

Aside from the last-minute roster shuffling due to the loss of Geraldo Boldewijn and Ronnie Yell, the Lions came into the game well prepared. Patience is the key word when defending Ricky Ray or attacking a Rich Stubler defence, and the Lions were patient and methodical on both sides of the ball all night. As Blitz noted, I expected the Lions to run the ball 20 times to soften up the Argo defence. They ran 18 times but also completed several swing and screen passes behind the line of scrimmage, which served the same purpose. Khari Jones opened up the playbook, with several new wrinkles, and called a couple of well-timed QB draws that helped move the chains. Jennings didn't complete a pass of over 20 yards and forced a couple of ill-advised throws into the end zone, one of which was intercepted, but overall he showed patience to move the chains.

Enough can't be said about the significance of going on the road for 10 days and picking up two hard-fought, last-minute victories. This team is a joy to watch.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote: While we celebrate this win, there has to be some changes made to our offensive line. The first one has to be Adcock. He was beaten badly, numerous times. He didn't even tough Lemon on one play, who just went by him like he was anchored in cement. Antonio Johnson has to be brought back into the lineup.

I worried that we would have our struggles with Toronto's two big defensive tackles and we did. Robertson and Hall got penetration all game. It's time to start thinking about how we can get Steward and Vaillencourt back into this lineup. Winning can obscure changes that need to be made.
You wonder Blitz when will we see changes. Is Wally giving Dorazio the benefit of the doubt on Adcock because he worked with him in Saskatchewan and pleaded his case to be signed? Is his 2016 salary now guaranteed for the rest of year as of today? I never saw Johnson beaten as bad as Adcock has been over the past 3 weeks. Johnson just seems to be more athletic and have quicker feet.

Farhan and LU said on the post game show they're pretty convinced we will see Steward back in for O'Neill at some point and possibly Vaillencourt too. But also admitted time is ticking given the Lions now have just 8 games left and the more the offensive line plays together the better the cohesion gets.

Seems to me Adcock and O'Neill are getting the benefit of the doubt based on being free agent off-season signings that need to be justified.

The win was sweet but as a CFL fan have to be concerned with the Argos. Now 1-5 at home, just over 17,000 last night and in a huge shadow created by the Blue Jays run towards another pennant. Why they decided on Ricky Ray over a younger and more dynamic Trevor Harris is baffling too.
CardiacKid
Legend

I have no wish to be a pill but I think the Lions were somewhat fortunate to not be the victim of momentum-robbing plays; namely turnovers. Jennings was definitely poised for that final drive but I still see flashes of not securing the ball when flushed from the pocket. By my recollection we had two fumbles that were not recovered by the Argos as well as a pick that was dropped.
If the pass protection were improved however.....If Wally is hesitant to pull the trigger on a switch because of saving face regarding free agent signings, I think you could argue successfully that high draft picks such as Steward and Vaillencourt need to be justified too. I hope we see the OLine improve as it looks like the post season will be played entirely out of doors via McMahon to BMO. The hogs need to be solid.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:Question. Leone kicked a 31 yard FG to win the game. His punting average is 50.6 yard, so that mean he was right in the range of where he could have punted through the end zone for a game winning rouge. Now I get that the odds of making a 31 yard FG are probably better than a kicking a 52 yard punt, but is there a point where the Lions may have asked Leone to punt for the win? What if the ball had been on the 5 yard line with no time remaining?
If we go back to the Hamilton game and the missed FG that led to a Brandon Banks TD to tie the game (with the two point convert), this was very much the same issue. At the time, I was critical of Leone for not putting enough on his FG attempt to put it through the end zone. Some commented that maybe it would have been too disruptive to the kicking process itself but nevertheless it represented a critical gaff in strategic thinking. In that instance a single point would have been huge as it would have represented a 9 point lead requiring 2 scores from Hamilton. That to me was a coaching issue. If there was any doubt of Leone not being able to get it through the endzone with a FG attempt, it should have been a punt, pure and simple. At least last night on the game winning FG, I observed that the kick did go through the endzone so even if the attempt had been wide, it would have resulted in a win. The Devil is in the details. I don't know if the Hamilton game was used as a teachable moment but last night, they did it right IMO. The way it should have been done against Hamilton.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Tight defense dominated struggle (most certainly Solly was the player of the game), but have to give credit to Leone for a purrfect game. FGs good from 47, 22, and 30 yards. What was most impressive was all of them were what could be considered "pressure situations".

His punting was great (as usual) including a well executed coffin corner punt.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

3 games is more than enough time for Adcock to show his stuff and he hasn't been adequate and Johnson was quite good. So a simple decision really as to how to proceed.

Not having Steward on the field as a starter is just plain stupid, Mr. Dorazio. :dizzy:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:Tight defense dominated struggle (most certainly Solly was the player of the game), but have to give credit to Leone for a purrfect game. FGs good from 47, 22, and 30 yards. What was most impressive was all of them were what could be considered "pressure situations".

His punting was great (as usual) including a well executed coffin corner punt.
Agreed. Leone was clutch. He outpunted Hajrullahu by an average of 8.6 yards per kick (and 4.0 yards net). In a tight, defensive battle, that gives the Lions an advantage in field position with every exchange of kicks.
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Blitz wrote: While we celebrate this win, there has to be some changes made to our offensive line. The first one has to be Adcock. He was beaten badly, numerous times. He didn't even tough Lemon on one play, who just went by him like he was anchored in cement. Antonio Johnson has to be brought back into the lineup.

I worried that we would have our struggles with Toronto's two big defensive tackles and we did. Robertson and Hall got penetration all game. It's time to start thinking about how we can get Steward and Vaillencourt back into this lineup. Winning can obscure changes that need to be made.
You wonder Blitz when will we see changes. Is Wally giving Dorazio the benefit of the doubt on Adcock because he worked with him in Saskatchewan and pleaded his case to be signed? Is his 2016 salary now guaranteed for the rest of year as of today? I never saw Johnson beaten as bad as Adcock has been over the past 3 weeks. Johnson just seems to be more athletic and have quicker feet.

Farhan and LU said on the post game show they're pretty convinced we will see Steward back in for O'Neill at some point and possibly Vaillencourt too. But also admitted time is ticking given the Lions now have just 8 games left and the more the offensive line plays together the better the cohesion gets.

Seems to me Adcock and O'Neill are getting the benefit of the doubt based on being free agent off-season signings that need to be justified. The win was sweet but as a CFL fan have to be concerned with the Argos. Now 1-5 at home, just over 17,000 last night and in a huge shadow created by the Blue Jays run towards another pennant. Why they decided on Ricky Ray over a younger and more dynamic Trevor Harris is baffling too.
The Leos must be giving Dorazio the benefit of the doubt on Adcock but this was his third game as a starter and he did not look good at all.

I also wonder, with only 8 games left in the schedule whether we will make a change at one or both of the two guard positions. The more we keep winning and the less remaining games, the more difficult it becomes to make changes that should have been made prior to this road trip. Johnson was never beaten like Adcock. But Johnson is quicker.

B.C. Fan notes the adjustments on offence. I didnt' see many. We ran the hitch screen last game and is not new. We ran one tailback screen, which was unusual. The gadget play with Arseneaux throwing was new. The swing pass to Rainey has been there all season. The motion throw to Arseneaux was snuffed out twice. The quarterback draw is a standard play for a spread offence.

Mostly, we ran the inside zone read and the usual deep intermediate passes to our receiving crew. Have a look at the first half completed throws...Arseneaux for 17 yds, Gore for 15 yds, Burnham for 15 yds., Iannuzzi for 19 yards. The only short throws to a Leo receiver in the first half were aimed at Arseneaux - a 7 yarder and a a 3 yd. loss as we tried to hit Arseneuax on a deception play that the Argos read each time we ran it.

Our incompleted throws were also of the deeper variety. We did hit Lumbala on a swing pass in the first half and we also ran a hitch to Burnham and a screen to Allen. But we never threw to our other receivers like Burnham, Gore, or Iannuzzi short at all in plfirst half. Jennings was only sacked twice in the game but in the first half he was hit and fumbled, was hit and Foley ran it into the end zone but the play was nullified by penalty and a third play almost resulted in a fumble.

B.C. Fan takes a positive approach and I respect him for doing so. But I still see way too many of our offensive passing plays lacking a short route that Jennings can go to if he experiences quick pressure. Its not that difficult adjustment to make. On the wide three receiver side, all that needs to be done is, if two of the recieivers are running an intermediate or deep route the third receiver needs to be running a shorter route. On the boundary side, one receiver can run a deep or intermediate route and one can run a shorter route. If, on either side of the field, there is no short route in the equation, then you have to have to use your back on a swing, flare, or quick cross as a safety valve. This is simple, common sense football in the passing game.

Too often, when a team is winning, the adjustments that should be made are not. Too often, when a team is losing, too many changes are made. Winning can disguise warts and losing can obscure good things.

Quite frankly, take Jennings out of the offensive equation, and we would see a very different outcome with our offence. Each game, he makes many very difficult throws while under incredible pressure. He escapes and buys time. He runs the football very well. But as poised as he is and as tremendous as he is, with his limited experience, he is asked to do far too much. Bo Levi Mitchell is not expected to make the throws that Jennings has to make or buy the time that Jennings has to buy, or to run like Jennings has to run. Bo Levi Mitchell always has an easy throw to make if he experiences pressure.

There is very little difference, scheme wise, this season with our offence than the offence we ran in 2015 and 2014. Its just that Jennings is operating at quarterback rather than Glenn, or Lulay, or Beck. The results are different because of Jennings, as well as better defense.

Calgary really shut our offence down last game. Stubler has held our offence to 14 and 16 points in two games and we got a touchdown late, when it didn't matter, in our first game against the Argos. Those two defenses were designed, in those games, to take away our passing game tendencies.

The final drive reflected how we should have been attacking the Argos for most of the game, mixing in the run with short passes, and taking an intermediate route if it was open. The Argos defense was not going to let us beat them deep.

With 8 games left in the season, we have to start thinking in terms of becoming a playoff winning team. We're not going to be a playoff winning team by scoring 9 points, as we did last time we played Calgary or by scoring 14 and 16 points, like we did against Torontl

Assuming that we are playing teams such as Calgary and Edmonton, who have good offences in the playoffs. Those offences are going to put up a decent number of points on the board, even with our championship calibre defense playing well. Our offence has to be designed to defeat good defences in the playoffs, like Calgary or Winnipeg's. Good defenses get a better pass rush. Good defenses are more difficult to beat deep and they are more difficult to beat on long intermediate routes. They are usually harder to run against too.

A big, mean, aggressive offensive line that can open holes and pass block well is essential. An offence that can beat you deep, intermediate, or short, depending on what the defense gives you is essential.

Our Leos have not won a playoff game since we won the Grey Cup in 2011. When you take away our championship seasons of 2006 and 2011, our Leos playoff performances have been very disappointing during the Buono era here, especially when we most often had the better team going into the playoff game.

2003 - Semi-Final Loss
2005 - WDF Loss
2007 - WDF Loss
2008 - Semi-Final Win, WDF Loss
2009 - Semi- Final Win, EDF Loss
2010 - Semi-Final Loss
2012- WD Final Loss
2013 - Semi- Final Loss
2014 - Semi - Final Loss
2015 - Semi- Final Loss

A big reason why we haven't had the kind of success in the playoffs that we should have experienced has been due to a predictable offensive scheme that good playoff defenses have been able to defend well most times. In 2005, we won 11 games in a row, but Edmonton, who were not a good team that season, shut our offence down in the playoff game.

Dave Dickenson, a quarterback with a high efficiency average, for example, struggled in 2003, the 2004 Grey Cup game, the 2005 WDF, the 2006 Grey Cup game (which we won) and the 2007 WDF, due to a heavy pass rush and a predictable passing attack. We still use the same basic offensive scheme that we did back then.

Buono's teams have usually had good regular season results due to his ability to motivate, to discipline, to set standards, to get his teams to play hard, and to execute. But his playoff record does not reflect his records of his regular seasons.

This has been a joyous season to watch our Leos play football. We have an exciting young quarterback, a receiver in Manny Arseneaux whose career is mirroring Geroy Simon's performance, based upon number of games played. Watching a National receiver like Gore play so well this year brings back memories of Ryan Thelwell. Watching our late game heroics is almost reminiscent of the Cardiac Kids.

On defense, we haven't had such an exciting pass rusher since Cameron Wake and Brent Johnson. Watching Sol E. and Bighill play this year is to be reminded of the very best who played the position with our Leos. Purifoy reminds me of a young Korey Banks and Ronnie Yell of a young Dante March. Leone punts the football like a Lui Passaglia.

But if we want to have a great shot at winning it all this season, we need to have a scheme and build a team that can upset a very, very good football team like Calgary. Calgary is so good because it has a huge offensive line that can play smash mouth football and pass block inside to give Mitchell time in the pocket. It also has a passing scheme that will attack a defense short inside and the flats. It can play the high percentage passing game or beat you intermediate and deep, if it is open. Its an offence that doesn't ask too much of its quarterback but relies on him to make good reads, gives him time to throw the football, and provides him with safety valves, making him very difficult to sack. It focuses on always making positive plays.

Our offence relies on our quarterback to play lights out, to throw under heavy pressure, to make difficult throws, and provides him with few safety valves. To have a decent chance of beating the best in the playoffs this season, we need to get our offensive line to be bigger, meaner, and better. We need to be able to play smash mouth in the running game, just like Calgary does. We also need our passing attack to take advantage of Jennings great arm, to allow him to attack downfield, but to also to give him outlets, if under pressure, as Calgary does for Mitchell.

If we could do that, over the next 8 games, I think we will have a great chance in the playoffs. If not, we will be relying on Jennings to play over his head and our receivers to make sensational plays. That is a lot to ask when its not necessary.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:

Seems to me Adcock and O'Neill are getting the benefit of the doubt based on being free agent off-season signings that need to be justified. The win was sweet but as a CFL fan have to be concerned with the Argos. Now 1-5 at home, just over 17,000 last night and in a huge shadow created by the Blue Jays run towards another pennant. Why they decided on Ricky Ray over a younger and more dynamic Trevor Harris is baffling too.
The Leos must be giving Dorazio the benefit of the doubt on Adcock but this was his third game as a starter and he did not look good at all.

I also wonder, with only 8 games left in the schedule whether we will make a change at one or both of the two guard positions. The more we keep winning and the less remaining games, the more difficult it becomes to make changes that should have been made prior to this road trip. Johnson was never beaten like Adcock. But Johnson is quicker.

B.C. Fan notes the adjustments on offence. I didnt' see many. We ran the hitch screen last game and is not new. We ran one tailback screen, which was unusual. The gadget play with Arseneaux throwing was new. The swing pass to Rainey has been there all season. The motion throw to Arseneaux was snuffed out twice. The quarterback draw is a standard play for a spread offence.

Mostly, we ran the inside zone read and the usual deep intermediate passes to our receiving crew. Have a look at the first half completed throws...Arseneaux for 17 yds, Gore for 15 yds, Burnham for 15 yds., Iannuzzi for 19 yards. The only short throws to a Leo receiver in the first half were aimed at Arseneaux - a 7 yarder and a a 3 yd. loss as we tried to hit Arseneuax on a deception play that the Argos read each time we ran it.

Our incompleted throws were also of the deeper variety. We did hit Lumbala on a swing pass in the first half and we also ran a hitch to Burnham and a screen to Allen. But we never threw to our other receivers like Burnham, Gore, or Iannuzzi short at all in the first half. Jennings was only sacked twice in the game but in the first half he was hit and fumbled, was hit and Foley ran it into the end zone but the play was nullified by penalty and a third play almost resulted in a fumble.

B.C. Fan takes a positive approach and I respect him for doing so. But I still see way too many of our offensive passing plays lacking a short route that Jennings can go to if he experiences quick pressure. Its not that difficult adjustment to make. On the wide three receiver side, all that needs to be done is, if two of the recieivers are running an intermediate or deep route the third receiver needs to be running a shorter route. On the boundary side, one receiver can run a deep or intermediate route and one can run a shorter route. If, on either side of the field, there is no short route in the equation, then you have to have to use your back on a swing, flare, or quick cross as a safety valve. This is simple, common sense football in the passing game.

Too often, when a team is winning, the adjustments that should be made are not. Too often, when a team is losing, too many changes are made. Winning can disguise warts and losing can obscure good things.

Quite frankly, take Jennings out of the offensive equation, and we would see a very different outcome with our offence. Each game, he makes many very difficult throws while under incredible pressure. He escapes and buys time. He runs the football very well. But as poised as he is and as tremendous as he is, with his limited experience, he is asked to do far too much. Bo Levi Mitchell is not expected to make the throws that Jennings has to make or buy the time that Jennings has to buy, or to run like Jennings has to run. Bo Levi Mitchell always has an easy throw to make if he experiences pressure.

There is very little difference, scheme wise, this season with our offence than the offence we ran in 2015 and 2014. Its just that Jennings is operating at quarterback rather than Glenn, or Lulay, or Beck. The results are different because of Jennings, as well as better defense.

Calgary really shut our offence down last game. Stubler has held our offence to 14 and 16 points in two games and we got a touchdown late, when it didn't matter, in our first game against the Argos. Those two defenses were designed, in those games, to take away our passing game tendencies.

The final drive reflected how we should have been attacking the Argos for most of the game, mixing in the run with short passes, and taking an intermediate route if it was open. The Argos defense was not going to let us beat them deep.

With 8 games left in the season, we have to start thinking in terms of becoming a playoff winning team. We're not going to be a playoff winning team by scoring 9 points, as we did last time we played Calgary or by scoring 14 and 16 points, like we did against Torontl

Assuming that we are playing teams such as Calgary and Edmonton, who have good offences in the playoffs. Those offences are going to put up a decent number of points on the board, even with our championship calibre defense playing well. Our offence has to be designed to defeat good defences in the playoffs, like Calgary or Winnipeg's. Good defenses get a better pass rush. Good defenses are more difficult to beat deep and they are more difficult to beat on long intermediate routes. They are usually harder to run against too.

A big, mean, aggressive offensive line that can open holes and pass block well is essential. An offence that can beat you deep, intermediate, or short, depending on what the defense gives you is essential.

Our Leos have not won a playoff game since we won the Grey Cup in 2011. When you take away our championship seasons of 2006 and 2011, our Leos playoff performances have been very disappointing during the Buono era here, especially when we most often had the better team going into the playoff game.

2003 - Semi-Final Loss
2005 - WDF Loss
2007 - WDF Loss
2008 - Semi-Final Win, WDF Loss
2009 - Semi- Final Win, EDF Loss
2010 - Semi-Final Loss
2012- WD Final Loss
2013 - Semi- Final Loss
2014 - Semi - Final Loss
2015 - Semi- Final Loss

A big reason why we haven't had the kind of success in the playoffs that we should have experienced has been due to a predictable offensive scheme that good playoff defenses have been able to defend well most times. In 2005, we won 11 games in a row, but Edmonton, who were not a good team that season, shut our offence down in the playoff game.

Dave Dickenson, a quarterback with a high efficiency average, for example, struggled in 2003, the 2004 Grey Cup game, the 2005 WDF, the 2006 Grey Cup game (which we won) and the 2007 WDF, due to a heavy pass rush and a predictable passing attack. We still use the same basic offensive scheme that we did back then.

Buono's teams have usually had good regular season results due to his ability to motivate, to discipline, to set standards, to get his teams to play hard, and to execute. But his playoff record does not reflect his records of his regular seasons.

This has been a joyous season to watch our Leos play football. We have an exciting young quarterback, a receiver in Manny Arseneaux whose career is mirroring Geroy Simon's performance, based upon number of games played. Watching a National receiver like Gore play so well this year brings back memories of Ryan Thelwell. Watching our late game heroics is almost reminiscent of the Cardiac Kids.

On defense, we haven't had such an exciting pass rusher since Cameron Wake and Brent Johnson. Watching Sol E. and Bighill play this year is to be reminded of the very best who played the position with our Leos. Purifoy reminds me of a young Korey Banks and Ronnie Yell of a young Dante March. Leone punts the football like a Lui Passaglia.

But if we want to have a great shot at winning it all this season, we need to have a scheme and build a team that can upset a very, very good football team like Calgary. Calgary is so good because it has a huge offensive line that can play smash mouth football and pass block inside to give Mitchell time in the pocket. It also has a passing scheme that will attack a defense short inside and the flats. It can play the high percentage passing game or beat you intermediate and deep, if it is open. Its an offence that doesn't ask too much of its quarterback but relies on him to make good reads, gives him time to throw the football, and provides him with safety valves, making him very difficult to sack. It focuses on always making positive plays.

Our offence relies on our quarterback to play lights out, to throw under heavy pressure, to make difficult throws, and provides him with few safety valves. To have a decent chance of beating the best in the playoffs this season, we need to get our offensive line to be bigger, meaner, and better. We need to be able to play smash mouth in the running game, just like Calgary does. We also need our passing attack to take advantage of Jennings great arm, to allow him to attack downfield, but to also to give him outlets, if under pressure, as Calgary does for Mitchell.

If we could do that, over the next 8 games, I think we will have a great chance in the playoffs. If not, we will be relying on Jennings to play over his head and our receivers to make sensational plays. That is a lot to ask when its not necessary.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
almo89
Legend

Watching Rich Stubler control our offense last night was frustrating. Guilio says the same thing each time the Leos play against a Rich Stubler defense. Rich Stubler will bank on opposing offenses not being patient enough. For most of the game this was true. Leos refused to take the underneath stuff and it wasn't until the last drive that they finally figured it out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Watching Rich Stubler control our offense last night was frustrating. Guilio says the same thing each time the Leos play against a Rich Stubler defense. Rich Stubler will bank on opposing offenses not being patient enough. For most of the game this was true. Leos refused to take the underneath stuff and it wasn't until the last drive that they finally figured it out.
Stubler's philosophy is not new. He's been using that for years. Shameful that it took so long for Khari to figure it out.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

In defense of the Lions O, you can probably make this statement about most teams when you take away their starting QB. Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa (kind of in reverse) all struggled without their best QB at the helm. Winnipeg was doing horrible with Willy at the controls but I doubt their playbook changed significantly with Nichols. In that case it came down to having a QB who was getting the job done vs one that wasn't. 4 games later and you wonder what the Bombers record would be if they had started the season with Nichols. This isn't to dispute what you say about limited schemes, old schemes and strategies. These are the same issues that have sort of been with the Lions since 2011. What it does show however is that sometimes, it isn't the strategy, it is the players executing it. If you don't have enough players on a team doing enough things right, you aren't going to be very successful.

As for last nights game, there were at least two opportunities where two TD's likely would have resulted. The Iainuzzi play and the drop by Arceneaux which I think was about the 4 yard line. Proper execution on those two plays and I think the game would have been perceived very differently. They seemed to be a little off last night. The passes weren't always on target or crisp, the tackling wasn't necessarily the greatest at a couple of points and the Oline seemed to be pretty awful as well but in the end, Toronto seemed to struggle as much as we did. Shore up the Oline, keep the running game and the balance on passing, add some quicker developing plays and I think we will continue to have success. Lot of room for improvement but even working about %75 of efficiency and we are capable of beating any team in the league right now. Hopefully Wally and co will figure out a way to shore up the OLine somehow. That appears to be the biggest problem we currently have.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.