Midseason stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The short week and unbalanced schedule makes it difficult to compare the Lions to other teams at the midseason mark but there are some striking differences statistically between the 6-3 Lions of 2016 and the 4-5 team at this point of 2015.

Here's how this year's team compares to last year's Lions after nine games (2015 stats in brackets). In almost all major statistical measures, the 2016 Lions have outperformed the 2015 team. The exceptions are highlighted in colour.

OFFENCE:
Avg. points scored: 29.3 (20.8)
Avg. yards offence: 371.4 (306.7)
Avg. yards passing: 289.9 (220.1)
Avg. yards rushing: 96.7 (98.8)
Avg. scrimmage plays: 59.6 (53.4)
TDs: 27 (21)
1st downs: 202 (168)
Pass completion pct: 64.4% (62.1%)
Giveaways: 18 (21)
2nd down conversions: 51.4% (50.5%)
Red-zone touchdowns: 52.9% (57%)

DEFENCE:
Avg. points allowed: 25.9 (27.8)
Avg. yards allowed: 337.8 (384.1)
Avg. yards passing allowed: 305.9 (266.6)
Avg. yards rushing allowed: 65.3 (133.0)
1st downs allowed: 170 (192)
Takeaways: 16 (20)
2nd down conversions allowed: 41.7% (51.2%)
Red-zone touchdowns allowed: 56.0% (65.0%)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The short week and unbalanced schedule makes it difficult to compare the Lions to other teams at the midseason mark but there are some striking differences statistically between the 6-3 Lions of 2016 and the 4-5 team at this point of 2015.

Here's how this year's team compares to last year's Lions after nine games (2015 stats in brackets). In almost all major statistical measures, the 2016 Lions have outperformed the 2015 team. The exceptions are highlighted in colour.

OFFENCE:
Avg. points scored: 29.3 (20.8)
Avg. yards offence: 371.4 (306.7)
Avg. yards passing: 289.9 (220.1)
Avg. yards rushing: 96.7 (98.8)
Avg. scrimmage plays: 59.6 (53.4)
TDs: 27 (21)
1st downs: 202 (168)
Pass completion pct: 64.4% (62.1%)
Giveaways: 18 (21)
2nd down conversions: 51.4% (50.5%)
Red-zone touchdowns: 52.9% (57%)

DEFENCE:
Avg. points allowed: 25.9 (27.8)
Avg. yards allowed: 337.8 (384.1)
Avg. yards passing allowed: 305.9 (266.6)
Avg. yards rushing allowed: 65.3 (133.0)
1st downs allowed: 170 (192)
Takeaways: 16 (20)
2nd down conversions allowed: 41.7% (51.2%)
Red-zone touchdowns allowed: 56.0% (65.0%)
Those look prettty good. And we see the results on the field. It seems like we have only had one stinker this year.

Good research, BCF. It is appreciated.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Thanks taking the time to do this research B.C. Fan. Interesting stuff!

I really don't see much of a difference in our offensive scheme, for this season so far, under Khari Jones, and the offensive scheme used by Cortez last season.

Last season, we had Lulay as our starter for the first half of the season. Jennings has been our starting quarterback from our first game of the season and I see him as the major difference in our offensive success in 2016.

Defensively, we've put more pressure on opposing quarterbacks. We lead the CFL in sacks.

While other factors, including coaching and personnel, enter the equation of our improved success on both offence and defense, I believe the two reasons stated are the key reasons for our improved success at this stage this season, in comparison to 2015.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pdxlion
Rookie

Blitz wrote:Thanks taking the time to do this research B.C. Fan. Interesting stuff!

I really don't see much of a difference in our offensive scheme, for this season so far, under Khari Jones, and the offensive scheme used by Cortez last season.

Last season, we had Lulay as our starter for the first half of the season. Jennings has been our starting quarterback from our first game of the season and I see him as the major difference in our offensive success in 2016.

Defensively, we've put more pressure on opposing quarterbacks. We lead the CFL in sacks.

While other factors, including coaching and personnel, enter the equation of our improved success on both offence and defense, I believe the two reasons stated are the key reasons for our improved success at this stage this season, in comparison to 2015.
I'm not convinced Lulay was the biggest difference. The last game he played before he got hurt we were still running that goofy tight end set that Tedford/Cortez installed. It was soon ditched and John's done well but Lulay would have had better stats without that "experiment".
The_Pauser
Legend

Also interesting to note that it doesn't look like we are missing Andrew Harris at all. Sure our running production is down, but only by a couple yards on average. Best that we use that cap space to address other areas of our team.

I am still concerned about our O-line. Also a bit surprising that our defense is more or less similar to what we had last year (shift in passing against vs. running against appears to be consistent with an overall shift in philosophy across the league). I suppose that stinker against Calgary, coupled with the huge Hamilton comeback and that wild game in Calgary skewed the numbers a bit.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:Also interesting to note that it doesn't look like we are missing Andrew Harris at all. Sure our running production is down, but only by a couple yards on average. Best that we use that cap space to address other areas of our team.
I am very happy with the 2 back set-up that we have. Where we miss Harris is the ability to take that dump or swing pass out of the backfield (especially when Jennings is in trouble or can't find an open receiver in his progressions) and turn it into a 10-20 yard gain. I'll give him full props there, and the Bombers are benefiting.

However, I find Harris to be a bit over-rated as a tailback carrying the mail. Sure, he'll get some chunk yards in the course of a game and typically finish with 80+ yards. But if you watch closely, he's often stopped at the LOS or gets 1-2 yards. While he leads the league in rushing, he usually sees the ball 20 times a game. He currently has a 4.5 yard average (buoyed by a strong game last week. He was around 4.1 or 4.2 yards per carry before that).

Not to pick on the guy, but I really think our locker room is in a much better place this year. Harmonious. And while the troubles of the past few years can't be blamed solely on Harris, the sulky act on the sidelines and grumbling to reporters after a game was wearing a bit thin for me. I think the change of scenery is good for him (and us) and I wish him well. Others will undoubtedly see things differently as he has many fans here.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote: I am very happy with the 2 back set-up that we have. Where we miss Harris is the ability to take that dump or swing pass out of the backfield (especially when Jennings is in trouble or can't find an open receiver in his progressions) and turn it into a 10-20 yard gain. I'll give him full props there, and the Bombers are benefiting.

However, I find Harris to be a bit over-rated as a tailback carrying the mail. Sure, he'll get some chunk yards in the course of a game and typically finish with 80+ yards. But if you watch closely, he's often stopped at the LOS or gets 1-2 yards. While he leads the league in rushing, he usually sees the ball 20 times a game. He currently has a 4.5 yard average (buoyed by a strong game last week. He was around 4.1 or 4.2 yards per carry before that).

Not to pick on the guy, but I really think our locker room is in a much better place this year. Harmonious. And while the troubles of the past few years can't be blamed solely on Harris, the sulky act on the sidelines and grumbling to reporters after a game was wearing a bit thin for me. I think the change of scenery is good for him (and us) and I wish him well. Others will undoubtedly see things differently as he has many fans here.

Yes. Count me as a fan of his, David. IMO a sensational player. Dunno about him in the locker room, Dunno about his effect on team morale. Dunno how I would feel about him as a coach or manager. It seems we got the impression Wally was glad to see him go. Dunno about his teammates. I will say that he put his all on the field here. Glad to see him doing well in Winnipeg.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Also interesting to note that it doesn't look like we are missing Andrew Harris at all. Sure our running production is down, but only by a couple yards on average. Best that we use that cap space to address other areas of our team.
I am very happy with the 2 back set-up that we have. Where we miss Harris is the ability to take that dump or swing pass out of the backfield (especially when Jennings is in trouble or can't find an open receiver in his progressions) and turn it into a 10-20 yard gain. I'll give him full props there, and the Bombers are benefiting.

IMO, Cortez, last year's OC, gave lots to grumble about.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:

I have mixed feelings about it. From one perspective, Andrews was a National who was a ratio difference maker and his dual threat role was an asset to our offence. He was an outstanding receiver out of the backfield and a decent runner. Harris may get stopped for some 1-2 yard gains but so do Johnson and Allen.

Sometimes there is no hole for a running back to run into. A successful running attack requires good run blocking as well as having a good tailback.

Here are the rushing and receiving numbers for Harris as a Lion.

2011 - 4.8 yd. average
2012 - 6 yd. average
2013- 5 yd. average
2014- 5.3 yd. average
2015- 4.7 yd. average

In terms of receiving,

2012 - 75 receptions, 718 yds. (9.6 yd. average)
2013 - 61 receptions, 513 yds. (8.4 yd. average)
2014 - 46 receptions, 529 yds. (11.5 yd. average
2015 - 53 receptions, 584 yds.(11.0 yd. average)

Those numbers are very, very good. His combined yards each season was impressive.

From a salary cap perspective, he would have been expensive but he would also have been a starter. Lulay is very expensive for a backup quarterback, even if he is 'mentoring' Jennings. However, Lulay's play on the field shows short comings in terms of mental processes that a veteran quarterback should not display. I think Travis is a great character guy but he costs us a lot in terms of the cap.

My problem with Harris were his off-field comments, *beeotch*, and on-field displays of frustration as well. Some Lionbackers celebrated his public criticism of his coaches, his overt expressions, his dissatisfaction with his role, even though he was used more often as a receiver than any tailback in the league and he always got a lot of reps as a runner. For example, Harris carried the football 187 times in 2012, 198 times in 2013, 122 times in 2014, and 222 times last season. Yet he *beeotch* most in 2012 and 2015, when he was very highly utilized.

I wrote at the time that it was not wise for Harris to go public with his complaints and it was unnecessary too, in that he was the centerpiece of our offence.

I don't believe the cap s the major reason Wally let him go. The major reason was Wally did not like his attitude and believed it was hurting the team.

I'm happy that Harris went to Winnipeg, rather than any other of the CFL teams because he is from there and wish him well. He was a popular player with our fans, gave us some exciting memories in terms of plays, and his story was an inspiring one for young National running backs.

But from a team chemistry perspective, things have worked out well for us and I hope Harris has reached a better level of contentment too. The game has been good to him.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I always thought that the Lions failed to use Harris to his full potential. I would have liked to see him as part of a 2 RB system where Harris is a combo RB/SB so on passing plays the other RB stays and blocks and Harris runs a pass pattern. And then you mix it up with Harris blocking or have both come out of the backfield for a screen pass to either guy etc. And if Harris gets hurt, then O switches to one RB and a SB replaces Harris. I now wonder if the Bombers will do something like this...nope, well rarely see 2 RBs and if we do it is with a FB who rarely gets to carry the ball.