NFL Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Josh Johnson named to Jaguars 53-man roster which gives you an idea why Wally thinks Purifoy won't be up here for long.
CardiacKid
Legend

Well, I am sure that is disappointing for Boyko but potentially good news for the Lions. If he does make it up here (fingers crossed) this year, it would likely be at best in a backup role. But down the line, he would have to be projected as a starter.
Don't count your eggs but if he were to sign, that would be tremendous news.
Blitz
Team Captain

FrankLandy wrote:OL Brett Boyko waived today by San Diego (rights held by the Lions).

DL Cleyon Laing (whom I like and is a FA) waived by the Dolphins.
It will be interesting to see if Boyko sticks around in the NFL as a practice roster player by San Diego or is picked up by another NFL team.

If he did sign with our Lions, it would give us Husband, Steward, Fabian, Vaillencourt, Dhillon, and Boyko as National offensive lineman (not counting O'Neil). Something would have to give. If we released O'Neil in the off-season, it would open up a roster spot. But Boyko wouldn't arrive cheap.

I doubt we could keep four guards who could start eg: Fabian/Vaillencourt and Steward/Boyko.

I agree that the best NFL cut we could find would be a nose tackle type defensive lineman. With our defensive backs going down to injury, we also need to bring in an International defensive back or two. Fenner will likely need to start next game for Yell.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote:
FrankLandy wrote:OL Brett Boyko waived today by San Diego (rights held by the Lions).

DL Cleyon Laing (whom I like and is a FA) waived by the Dolphins.
It will be interesting to see if Boyko sticks around in the NFL as a practice roster player by San Diego or is picked up by another NFL team.

If he did sign with our Lions, it would give us Husband, Steward, Fabian, Vaillencourt, Dhillon, and Boyko as National offensive lineman (not counting O'Neil). Something would have to give. If we released O'Neil in the off-season, it would open up a roster spot. But Boyko wouldn't arrive cheap.

I doubt we could keep four guards who could start eg: Fabian/Vaillencourt and Steward/Boyko.

I agree that the best NFL cut we could find would be a nose tackle type defensive lineman. With our defensive backs going down to injury, we also need to bring in an International defensive back or two. Fenner will likely need to start next game for Yell.
For BC , at this time it may be better if Boyko did not come back this season with the funk Dorazio seems to be in at the moment . Right now we have an Oline that does not play their top players as it is due to what ? Dan D seems to need to get his current experiment out of the way first before we could make good use of a top calibre OL. I could easily see us lose Hunter Steward in the off season due to the Dorazio factor , and adding one more to the mix would only add to the unused player list , that we will lose more top OL to free agency . There would probably have to out of desperation , be an order from Wally to end the nonsense and start playing our best guys for anything to change . And only then would Boyko be of any value to BC. Either that or DD would have to be gone .
Blitz
Team Captain

For BC , at this time it may be better if Boyko did not come back this season with the funk Dorazio seems to be in at the moment . Right now we have an Oline that does not play their top players as it is due to what ? Dan D seems to need to get his current experiment out of the way first before we could make good use of a top calibre OL. I could easily see us lose Hunter Steward in the off season due to the Dorazio factor , and adding one more to the mix would only add to the unused player list , that we will lose more top OL to free agency . There would probably have to out of desperation , be an order from Wally to end the nonsense and start playing our best guys for anything to change . And only then would Boyko be of any value to BC. Either that or DD would have to be gone . penw
Darazio is driving me crazy..but then again he always has.

Starting a backup guard in O'Neil is not wise, especially because Steward was playing well in his transition to guard, overall, and the play of our offensive line has deteriorated since he was moved out of the starting position. I can see Dorazio going with Fabian at right guard because Vaillencourt is a rookie but Vaillencourt beat Fabian out of training camp and also played well for his first two games.

Starting Steward and Vaillencourt would also give us not only more athletic guards but bigger, meaner, more aggressive guards as well. Steward is 323 pounds. Vaillencourt is 330 pounds. O'Neil is 36 years old and weighs 305. He is not our future. We're gambling with that future because Steward is a free agent at the end of this season. Plus Steward is a National offensive lineman who can switch to left tackle in a game, if Olifioye was injured. Steward was outstanding in his 7 games as a left tackle for us. He is just too talented to lose.

Kirby Fabian has improved but he has not been the same player since his knee reconstruction surgery as he was before. Last season we started Player before him.

We signed Adcock based upon Darazio's recommendation and switched Olifioye to facilitate the decision to go with Adcock at right tackle. Adcock's size at 325 pounds was a plus and I looked forward to seeing what he could do. But after his first game it was obvious he was not ready. After his second game, it was obvious that he was badly struggling in pass blocking with edge rushers. After 3 games that has not changed.

Wally wanted to change the culture of our B.C. Lions this season. His first priority was to build a bigger, meaner, more aggressive offensive line.
Following last month’s CFL Draft, when the Lions took right guard Charles Vaillancourt with the fifth overall pick, general manager and head coach Wally Buono explained in the clearest of terms that he wanted a bigger, more physical offensive line, issuing the challenge that those who didn’t want to play that style just wouldn’t play at all (Province)
That was how we started this season. We wore teams out in the fourth quarter with out running game. We were up there with Calgary (8 sacks allowed) in protecting our quarterback (we had allowed 9 sacks) after Week 6. We had defeated Calgary at home and should have beaten them in Calgary but lost in overtime. We didn't give up a single sack to Calgary in Calgary in that overtime loss game.

We've given up 14 sacks to Calgary's 2 sacks during the last 5 weeks. Calgary had given up 10 sacks going into this weekend and we have given up 23 sacks. The trend is not our friend. A big change in the direction of our Leos offensive line play, in comparison.

In our first two games of the season, we gave up 3 first half sacks against Calgary, mostly due to incorrect assignment and then did not give up a sack for the next six quarters. We had only given up an average of 1 1/2 sacks per game in our first two games of the season. In our last 3 games we've given up 12 sacks..an average of 4 per game.

The weakest area of our team over the past weeks has been our offensive line. We are winning but not because of our offensive line play. The insertion of O'Neil and then Adcock has hurt us. Its not just the increased sacks but the increased pressures and hits on Jennings. Jennings has been forced to escape and run a lot more in recent weeks.

We risked an injury to Jennings by continuing to play Adcock, as well as playing Adcock hurt our offence. Antonio Johnson was a much better pass blocker from Game 1.

There is a lot to celebrate about this season. I would hate to lose Steward. He is an excellent pass blocker. His play was remarkable at left tackle when he played there for us. He sure wasn't hurting us with his play at left guard.

I totally agree penw that we need to play our best guys on the offensive line.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionsfan65
Starter

If Boyko does indeed decide to come up here, is there any possibility that Steward could be bumped out to left tackle while Jovan moves back to right? If not this year maybe next year. That would give us a pretty solid line with Steward, Boyko, Husband, Vaillencourt, and Jovan.
pennw
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:If Boyko does indeed decide to come up here, is there any possibility that Steward could be bumped out to left tackle while Jovan moves back to right? If not this year maybe next year. That would give us a pretty solid line with Steward, Boyko, Husband, Vaillencourt, and Jovan.
We could already have Steward playing LT , but that would require bumping out Dan D's prized recruit , Levy Adcock , so I could not see that happening . We have accumulated a good stable of Olinemen , especially if Boyko was added to the mix , but it may have to wait for the post Dorazio era for us to capitalize on the situation . As it is , if we stay status quo , I see the opportunity of a great Oline being squandered .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionsfan65 wrote:If Boyko does indeed decide to come up here, is there any possibility that Steward could be bumped out to left tackle while Jovan moves back to right? If not this year maybe next year. That would give us a pretty solid line with Steward, Boyko, Husband, Vaillencourt, and Jovan.
Boyko, like Steward, is a LT by trade. He played LT at UNLV and was being used in that role in the NFL. With the two of them I can very much see LT becoming a NAT starting position. Steward could still be the starting LG and be available to kick out to tackle in case of injuries. Olafioye could then return to RT and Adcock can be sent on his way.

Blitz made mention of O'Neill and possible release at season's end. BC acquired him in a trade. I believe he's in the last year of his contract and would be a FA next season anyways. I don't believe they were looking at him as more than a one year solution when they acquired him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Boyko, like Steward, is a LT by trade. He played LT at UNLV and was being used in that role in the NFL. With the two of them I can very much see LT becoming a NAT starting position. Steward could still be the starting LG and be available to kick out to tackle in case of injuries. Olafioye could then return to RT and Adcock can be sent on his way.

Blitz made mention of O'Neill and possible release at season's end. BC acquired him in a trade. I believe he's in the last year of his contract and would be a FA next season anyways. I don't believe they were looking at him as more than a one year solution when they acquired him.
I don't think O'Neill is expecting anything more than a year with the Leos. He is a Metchosin boy and has spoken of being happy to be a Lion as it helps with transitioning back to run the family farm on the Island when he retires. I don't believe he aspires to play beyond this year.
I think Wally has to treat signing Boyko as a massive priority. The drafting of Boyko was regarded a long shot at best, a waste of a pick at worst. And while he has a chance at NFL practice rosters, Boyko must be thinking the CFL is his best option to play. His joining the team would a continuation in an upswing in two areas deemed poor performers in the recent past of the Leos; the draft and Canadian content on the OLine
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:

Having Boyko as a Leo would give us lots of options. I actually see it slightly differently Hambone. Steward would be the better choice at left tackle. He is more athletic, has longer arms, and better feet. He was awesome there for 7 games in 2014. Boyko could play left guard and then kick out to left tackle in case of injury.

Having one or two offensive lineman that can play two or more offensive line positions is a great asset. Look at Spencer Wilson of Calgary. He is a National who started this season at guard, then played right tackle for a number of games due to Federkeil's injury, and today, he will play center, because Lavertu is hurt. Wilson, to me, should be chosen as the CFL's best lineman at this point.

Olifioye goes back to right tacke. Then we have Husband at center, Vaillencourt at right guard and Fabian and Dhillon as depth. Of course, we could also draft another offensive lineman as well.

That would give us the ability to play another International. We could play that extra International at receiver, defensive tackle, or defensive end.

I really like the Canadian talent and depth on our Leos right now. This is the most talent and depth we've had at guard for a long time. At receiver, we have Gore playing very well and Adekolu, Blasco, and Johnson as back up National receivers for Gore or Iannuzzi if needed. O'Halloran is a big, strong fullback backing up Rolly Lumbala.

On defense, we have Westerman as a starting defensive tackle who is playing very well. He is backed up by Forde, who can play both defensive tackle and defensive end. Menard backs up Roh, at boundary defensive end, could be starting at that position, and he can also slide inside.

Lokombo is a situational linebacker who really would be staring on a lot of CFL teams. He is talented. In the defensive secondary, Mike Edem gives us the safety we have been looking for since Miles retired. He is solid. Fraser backs him up and that is decent depth at that National position.

Kenyan Parker played wide side corner last game, following Yell's injury in warm up and played very well after the first quarter. In fact he played so well that he will compete this week with Chandler Fenner to start in that spot against Montreal. Anthony Thompson has been good enough as a rookie to play situational two deep safety this season.

Perhaps the only National depth position that is a question mark is Shaq Murray Lawrence. He hasn't impressed as a situational tailback and kick returner but has looked better in his last two games.

Where would we draft for the future? Another offensive lineman if Boyko doesn't come to B.C or even if he does, drafting an offensive lineman to compete with Dhillon would be good. Drafting a center would make the most sense to back up Husband. Right now, if Husband got hurt in a game, O'Neil would play there. But he will likely not be here next season.

Drafting a National defensive lineman to compete with Forde or a National defensive end to compete with Menard and provide depth for both would also make sense, as would another National defensive back and running back.

Right now, we would have the 2nd and 8th picks in the 2017 CFL draft, having acquired Montreal's first round pick for Vernon Adams.

Where do we need to look, in terms of International players for the future. We need to bring in an International receiver who can compete with Boldewijn and replace backup Courtney Taylor, who is past his prime. We may also need to be looking at a nickel back if Purifoy tries it out south at the end of this year.

With T. J. Lee suffering a possible career ending injury and Stephen Clarke dealing with an ACL, and with Phillips getting older, International defensive back becomes a priority for NFL cuts and next season too.

Finally, we should bring in a couple of developmental quarterbacks.

But overall, this Leos team is deep.
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Hambone wrote:

Having Boyko as a Leo would give us lots of options. I actually see it slightly differently Hambone. Steward would be the better choice at left tackle. He is more athletic, has longer arms, and better feet. He was awesome there for 7 games in 2014. Boyko could play left guard and then kick out to left tackle in case of injury.

Having one or two offensive lineman that can play two or more offensive line positions is a great asset. Look at Spencer Wilson of Calgary. He is a National who started this season at guard, then played right tackle for a number of games due to Federkeil's injury, and today, he will play center, because Lavertu is hurt. Wilson, to me, should be chosen as the CFL's best lineman at this point.

Olifioye goes back to right tacke. Then we have Husband at center, Vaillencourt at right guard and Fabian and Dhillon as depth. Of course, we could also draft another offensive lineman as well.

That would give us the ability to play another International. We could play that extra International at receiver, defensive tackle, or defensive end.

I really like the Canadian talent and depth on our Leos right now. This is the most talent and depth we've had at guard for a long time. At receiver, we have Gore playing very well and Adekolu, Blasco, and Johnson as back up National receivers for Gore or Iannuzzi if needed. O'Halloran is a big, strong fullback backing up Rolly Lumbala.

On defense, we have Westerman as a starting defensive tackle who is playing very well. He is backed up by Forde, who can play both defensive tackle and defensive end. Menard backs up Roh, at boundary defensive end, could be starting at that position, and he can also slide inside.

Lokombo is a situational linebacker who really would be staring on a lot of CFL teams. He is talented. In the defensive secondary, Mike Edem gives us the safety we have been looking for since Miles retired. He is solid. Fraser backs him up and that is decent depth at that National position.

Kenyan Parker played wide side corner last game, following Yell's injury in warm up and played very well after the first quarter. In fact he played so well that he will compete this week with Chandler Fenner to start in that spot against Montreal. Anthony Thompson has been good enough as a rookie to play situational two deep safety this season.

Perhaps the only National depth position that is a question mark is Shaq Murray Lawrence. He hasn't impressed as a situational tailback and kick returner but has looked better in his last two games.

Where would we draft for the future? Another offensive lineman if Boyko doesn't come to B.C or even if he does, drafting an offensive lineman to compete with Dhillon would be good. Drafting a center would make the most sense to back up Husband. Right now, if Husband got hurt in a game, O'Neil would play there. But he will likely not be here next season.

Drafting a National defensive lineman to compete with Forde or a National defensive end to compete with Menard and provide depth for both would also make sense, as would another National defensive back and running back.

Right now, we would have the 2nd and 8th picks in the 2017 CFL draft, having acquired Montreal's first round pick for Vernon Adams.

Where do we need to look, in terms of International players for the future. We need to bring in an International receiver who can compete with Boldewijn and replace backup Courtney Taylor, who is past his prime. We may also need to be looking at a nickel back if Purifoy tries it out south at the end of this year.

With T. J. Lee suffering a possible career ending injury and Stephen Clarke dealing with an ACL, and with Phillips getting older, International defensive back becomes a priority for NFL cuts and next season too.

Finally, we should bring in a couple of developmental quarterbacks.

But overall, this Leos team is deep.
I believe Vallencourt could be a Center also in the future , so we should be okay in that area after Oneil is gone .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As of noon today Boyko has not resurfaced on an NFL PR. San Diego instead signed OT Austin Shepard to their PR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:As of noon today Boyko has not resurfaced on an NFL PR. San Diego instead signed OT Austin Shepard to their PR.
The Lions have reached out to Boyko and would look to sign him during the bye week if he is still available and wants to play in the CFL.

The plan would be to have Steward move to left tackle next season, Boyko to left guard, and Olifioye back to right tackle. Both Steward and Boyko are left hand side offensive lineman. Boyko does not have Steward's athleticism, arm length, or quickness, for the left tackle postion but that is his natural position as well.

If Steward got hurt, we could shift Boyko to left tackle and insert a reserve National guard. At this point, that National guard would either be Fabian or Vaillencourt, depending on which one we like as a starter.

That would give us an extra International to play. Where would we use that player? Most likely at defensive end.
CardiacKid
Legend

If his brother can be a positive influence on proceedings, I hope he jumps in and convinces his brother to haul his ass up north. We probably have forever lost Covington from that same draft class but if we could bat .500 and get Boyko....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz, your plan makes sense but with Dan the Mad Scientist Dorazio coaching the O line will they make the necessary changes or even release Adcock, as we know they should?