NFL Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Blitz, your plan makes sense but with Dan the Mad Scientist Dorazio coaching the O line will they make the necessary changes or even release Adcock, as we know they should?
Dano T....they just released Adcock.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
DanoT wrote:Blitz, your plan makes sense but with Dan the Mad Scientist Dorazio coaching the O line will they make the necessary changes or even release Adcock, as we know they should?
Dano T....they just released Adcock.
I think Buono got frustrated with Dorazio's offensive line personnel decisions after the Toronto game...and that is why we are seeing Steward and Johnson again. Fabian better play well or we could also see Vaillencourt back in there too. Buono realized Jennings has been taking too many hits and knew changes were necessary.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

According to CFL News, a twitter feed I subscribe to, Boyko has stated publicly he wants to play football this year. So depending on the timing of that statement, I would have to believe that bodes well for the Lions. Less $ but actually playing versus more $ but sitting on a NFL practice roster.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
The Lions have reached out to Boyko and would look to sign him during the bye week if he is still available and wants to play in the CFL.

The plan would be to have Steward move to left tackle next season, Boyko to left guard, and Olifioye back to right tackle. Both Steward and Boyko are left hand side offensive lineman. Boyko does not have Steward's athleticism, arm length, or quickness, for the left tackle postion but that is his natural position as well.

If Steward got hurt, we could shift Boyko to left tackle and insert a reserve National guard. At this point, that National guard would either be Fabian or Vaillencourt, depending on which one we like as a starter.

That would give us an extra International to play. Where would we use that player? Most likely at defensive end.
Good plan, Blitz. One problem --> Who will be driving the bus? Who will be teaching the troops? This fan cannot get too excited about our O Line prospects under this regime. We have seen outright chaos with this group a number of times. We have seen backsliding of skills and confidence. To dream of the stability and National OL strength the Alouettes have enjoyed the last dozen years is a place I cannot go at this time. It is what it is, and this fan keeps his hopes in check.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Blitz wrote:
The Lions have reached out to Boyko and would look to sign him during the bye week if he is still available and wants to play in the CFL.

The plan would be to have Steward move to left tackle next season, Boyko to left guard, and Olifioye back to right tackle. Both Steward and Boyko are left hand side offensive lineman. Boyko does not have Steward's athleticism, arm length, or quickness, for the left tackle postion but that is his natural position as well.

If Steward got hurt, we could shift Boyko to left tackle and insert a reserve National guard. At this point, that National guard would either be Fabian or Vaillencourt, depending on which one we like as a starter.

That would give us an extra International to play. Where would we use that player? Most likely at defensive end.
Good plan, Blitz. One problem --> Who will be driving the bus? Who will be teaching the troops? This fan cannot get too excited about our O Line prospects under this regime. We have seen outright chaos with this group a number of times. We have seen backsliding of skills and confidence. To dream of the stability and National OL strength the Alouettes have enjoyed the last dozen years is a place I cannot go at this time. It is what it is, and this fan keeps his hopes in check.
I can understand your thinking WCJ. No question that usually offensive linemen regress after a season of being coached by Dorazio. He tends to focus so much on technique that they start thinking too much about it.

I still believe the key to this season has been Jonathan Jennings, just like Lulay was such a key in 2011. In 2011 it was our defence that was our mainstay, just like it has been this year. But when you have an exciting quarterback, its invigorating for the defense as well as the offence. I believe Jennings has been more important than Buono in turning this team around...just like Lulay did in 2011.

Lulay did it in 2011 by his double threat style. If you were able to shut down a pass, Lulay killed you with his legs. Jennings does it with an accurate cannon of an arm and the ability to evade.

Different styles but the same kind of impact.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz, a very good assessment of the strengths of Jennings and Lulay early in his career. I would further add that both are very comfortable rolling out of the pocket. Jennings especially for a young QB has no trouble continuing to look for receivers down field even while running from defenders.

So why don't the Lions have the QB roll out more? I look at how Dickenson is calling plays in Calgary and having his QB functioning almost as an extension of himself: short, quickly delivered, crisp, passing plays. Its the surgeon at work.

Khari Jones, OTOH was a bombs away pocket passer which is something that Jennings seems more than capable of doing...if he has the pocket protection, if not then roll out.

I wonder when the mad scientist will stop playing musical chairs with the O line and just get the best guys out there, And STOP OVERCOACHING.