Lions vs. Red Blacks Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

No need to be sorry, we all are entitled to our opinions. Hey if they want to get a dedicated FG kicker and drop SML, I would be fine with that as a solution. The two points attempts haven't actually given us more points, it has worked out to be a mulligan 7 for 14 attempts I believe. I do subscribe to the theory that there is a psychological disappointment when only coming away from a TD with 6 points. We have been conditioned to think of a TD as 7 and when you get the TD, missing point after mutes the momentum of getting the TD. It also gives the other team some juice as they come away from that thinking that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. This is especially important in the early phases of the game. We aren't only trying to beat them physically, you are wanting to beat them mentally and any time you give the opposition something to be happy about, you are hurting your own cause. If they have to do the 2 point converts, at least don't lock yourself into doing them at a particular point in the game. That is a little like saying, we are going to pass on 2nd down every time. I have never seen a team that advertises that they are going to do a particular thing at a certain point in the game. At least keep the other side guessing.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:No need to be sorry, we all are entitled to our opinions. Hey if they want to get a dedicated FG kicker and drop SML, I would be fine with that as a solution. The two points attempts haven't actually given us more points, it has worked out to be a mulligan 7 for 14 attempts I believe. I do subscribe to the theory that there is a psychological disappointment when only coming away from a TD with 6 points. We have been conditioned to think of a TD as 7 and when you get the TD, missing point after mutes the momentum of getting the TD. It also gives the other team some juice as they come away from that thinking that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. This is especially important in the early phases of the game. We aren't only trying to beat them physically, you are wanting to beat them mentally and any time you give the opposition something to be happy about, you are hurting your own cause. If they have to do the 2 point converts, at least don't lock yourself into doing them at a particular point in the game. That is a little like saying, we are going to pass on 2nd down every time. I have never seen a team that advertises that they are going to do a particular thing at a certain point in the game. At least keep the other side guessing.
I don't see where going with the 2 point conversion early in the game has anything to do with "keeping the other side guessing" as the only guessing part is what 2 point convert play will be deployed. Rather I think the strategy for going for the 2 point early in the game is that if it is missed there is lots of time remaining to make up for the 0 convert.

I have some concerns with Lulay doing short yardage with his wonky shoulder but OTOH if a QB is going to get hurt in short yardage, then better the backup than the starter. Lulay being the 2 point convert QB is growing on me as well as it is good to keep him physically involved and throwing some passes in live action.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I have some concerns with Lulay doing short yardage with his wonky shoulder but OTOH if a QB is going to get hurt in short yardage, then better the backup than the starter. Lulay being the 2 point convert QB is growing on me as well as it is good to keep him physically involved and throwing some passes in live action.
I think you nailed it Danny. Wally said on the post game he likes Travis' experience near the goalline. That's true but it also makes it easier to sell him as one of the team's leaders and captains when he is involved in the game plan week after week. Also a high paid back up QB with a ton of class who has graciously accepted his diminished role. Hopefully it is help keeping him sharp when need for expanded duty as well.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: I don't see where going with the 2 point conversion early in the game has anything to do with "keeping the other side guessing" as the only guessing part is what 2 point convert play will be deployed. Rather I think the strategy for going for the 2 point early in the game is that if it is missed there is lots of time remaining to make up for the 0 convert.
It's all in the preparation. Knowing what play the other team is going to do in advance allows some extra preparation time. If you think a team is going for a single point after, you aren't thinking about how you are going to be defending against either the run or pass. If you know that Team A is definitely going for the 2 point convert, you immediately start thinking about how you are going to defend, who you are going to cover etc. Why telegraph it? If WB wants to run a 2 point conversion at some point in a game as a matter of course, fine but why on earth would you do it in such a rigid fashion? It makes no sense. Let them wonder until you have to commit. It may be only a matter of a few seconds but why be obvious about any play you are about to run?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
DanoT wrote: I don't see where going with the 2 point conversion early in the game has anything to do with "keeping the other side guessing" as the only guessing part is what 2 point convert play will be deployed. Rather I think the strategy for going for the 2 point early in the game is that if it is missed there is lots of time remaining to make up for the 0 convert.
It's all in the preparation. Knowing what play the other team is going to do in advance allows some extra preparation time. If you think a team is going for a single point after, you aren't thinking about how you are going to be defending against either the run or pass. If you know that Team A is definitely going for the 2 point convert, you immediately start thinking about how you are going to defend, who you are going to cover etc. Why telegraph it? If WB wants to run a 2 point conversion at some point in a game as a matter of course, fine but why on earth would you do it in such a rigid fashion? It makes no sense. Let them wonder until you have to commit. It may be only a matter of a few seconds but why be obvious about any play you are about to run?
I don't like Lulay running the two point convert, after our first touchdown of the game. First of all, every defense knows we go for the two point convert in that situation. Secondly, your starter (Jennings) has just driven the team down for the score. He is wa. Leave him in to run the play.

If we want Lulay to have some game action, either give him a series or better still, wait until the game is out of reach, one way or the other, and then give him some reps.

On the two point convert, on passing plays, we have our receivers too wide. It needs to be more of a bang, bang, play.

As for Leone, Wally was a decent punter as well as a linebacker in his playing days. He will chose a punter and try to convert him to being a field goal kicker. He tried to do that with Duncan O'Mahoney.

However, if Leone hasn't got it together by the end of this season we either need to draft a field goal kicker/punter, or go with two Nationals - punter and field goal kicker or if Buono still wants Leone's punting, even though he is an International, then he needs to draft a National field goal kicker.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There was a local kid who kicked the winning field goal in the Vanier Cup - Quinn van Glyswk. He's Rider property. Perhaps a trade ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is Buono's logic in going for the 2 point conversion on the Lions' first major and then kick converts the rest of the game ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:What is Buono's logic in going for the 2 point conversion on the Lions' first major and then kick converts the rest of the game ?
I don't believe that is his strategy. The Lions attempted 2-point converts on all 3 TDs last night, and were successful on 2 of them. That's 4 extra points on 3 TDs.

As mentioned previously, the Lions are now 7 of 14 on 2-point converts and 13 of 13 on 1-point converts. That's 27 extra points on 27 convert attempts. The numbers would be even higher if the Lions could improve to the league average of 60% on 2-point attempts.

No team has scored more extra points than the Lions. Only Hamilton, with a game in hand, is close, with 26 extra points on 23 attempts (18 of 19 1-pointers and 4 of 4 2-pointers).