The Battle for First Place -Leos vs. Stamps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Here is something that I was thinking about the other day: If a QB stays in the pocket he is a target and the only way to avoid a hit is to throw the ball. OTOH if a QB takes off and runs he can avoid a hit by running out of bounds, hook sliding or throwing the ball. So move the pocket and roll out damn it!

You often hear from OCs that rolling out cuts the field in half for the QB, but the CFL field is wide enough that there is still plenty of room for receivers to run their pass patterns.
BTW if Jennings had stayed in the pocket he probably wouldn't have been able to complete the pass to Manny for the winning TD.

Ok here is another pet peeve: 5 or 6 receiver formations. When does the QB ever have enough time to find a 5th or 6th receiver? Almost never unless he is flushed out of the pocket. I don't want the 5th or 6th guy downfield blocking after the catch, instead I want a TE or FB blocking for for the QB before the pass is made or run blocking at the line of scrimmage. :bang:un
We agree DanoT.

However, its more difficult to roll out from the spread offence, unless the defensive end takes an inside route and usually you need play action to create that.

The spread offence began at the university level in the U.S. It was a way for less prestigious football programs to compete with the big boys like Michigan, Note Dame, U.S.C., Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, etc. who could recruit the best blue chip offensive lineman, tight ends and running backs.

The spread offence was first introduced as an innovative offence that would enable an underdog team to compete with more powerful teams at the college level. By moving away from a power running game, where an underdog team would struggle against a powerhouse defense, the spread offence gave less talented teams a shot at victory.

All the spread initially needed was a smart quarterback who would release the football quickly and some speedy receivers spread across the field. The fullback was removed from the offence and an additional receiver was added. Spread offences, at times, also took their tailback out of the offence and added another receiver to the mix. The concept was that the offensive line was mainly needed for pass blocking; the running attack was used sparingly to keep opposition defenses off balance, as the spread was mainly a passing offence.

With receivers spread across the playing field, the strategy was to find seams in the opposition zone defense and to find them quickly. The strategy also was based on the belief that it would be more difficult for teams to blitz, needing their linebackers to help out in defending the passing attack. The spread offensive philosophy also maintained, with fewer defenders in the box, that a fast tailback could break a running play for a long gain, once he got past the initial line of scrimmage.The quarterback lined up in the shotgun, enabling him to have already established his drop and to get rid of the football faster.

With smaller offensive lineman, they passed more and adopted zone run blocking, most often using smaller tailbacks to run cut back plays off the zone read run. If they had a mobile quarterback, they often used the zone read option, with the quarterback reading the defensive end and either handing the football off or keeping it.

The spread offence spread to the pros, with a number of NFL teams adopting the spread, including the New England Patriots, who were one of the first to see its advantages. In the CFL, John Hufnagel and Jeff Tedford, in Calgary, created the CFL version of the spread offence. Using five and six receivers, he was able to create mismatches with fast receivers being covered by slower linebackers.

The spread offence was first introduced in the CFL in Calgary by offensive coordinator John Hufnagel and quarterback coach Jeff Tedford. CFL defences were very slow to adapt and were stuck using a linebacker or two to defend against the fifth or sixth receiver. Doug Flutie could also take off, often with lots of room to run.

As Calgary enjoyed success with the spread offence other teams began to copy and soon the spread offence was being employed by all CFL offences.

In the NFL, the Pro Offence, or a version of it, had been in vogue for a long time. Offences usually had a tight end and a fullback. There were some exceptions such as Air Coryell and the Run and Shoot and Washington used the H back, a hybrid tight end/fullback for a period of time. Then the West Coast offence became popular after San Francisco was so successful. But in the last decade or so, the spread offence became the most popular offence to implement in the NFL. Ten NFL teams don't even have a fullback.

But many successful NFL teams have moved away from the spread offence. They use the spread formation for a lot of passing downs but the spread offence is not their offensive philosophy. New England introduced two tight ends back into their offensive philosophy. They will spread their tight end Gronkowski out at times. Tom Brady takes a fairly high percentage snap under center now and is not in the shotgun or pistol exclusively. Seattle often uses a fullback, tight end, two tight ends, and even ustwo tight ends and a fullback. The Packers, Jets, and Chargers also use their fullback a lot.

In the CFL, Chapdelaine of our Leos, began to use tight ends and fullbacks more often in 2011 and 2012. The problem was that we had a fullback in Lumbala but no true tight ends. So we often lined up Lumbala as a tight end or we used an additional offensive lineman. The problem is that the offensive lineman is not useful as a receiver and therefore doesn't pose a threat to the pass defence.

I really believed we were on the right track last season when we recruited two tight ends. The tight end could be used as a blocker for the run or pass game and he could also release to be a receiver. We could line him up tight or spread him out if we chose to. However, we never did. All we did was line him up as a slot back. Then we got rid of the idea.

This season, Khari Jones has often used a tight end or even two, but they are usually Lumbala, an extra offensive lineman or Lumbala and an extra offensive lineman. But we do use our fullback more than any other CFL team and have for quite a number of years.

I would love to see us go with a true tight end and four receivers. We could use Lumbala as a second tight end, a fullback, or take him out for a fifth receiver for the five receiver set on certain passing downs.

It would be more diversified for both the running game and the passing game. We could lead block with it, add a more diversified running attack, and still be dangerous with play action. Its difficult to run outside with the spread offence.

CFL defenses have adapted to the spread offence. They either blitz the hell out of it, or they drop 8 or 9 into coverage or both. They use zone blitzes and they most often use a nickel back, rather than a third linebacker and quite often use a dime back, either taking a second linebacker out of the game or a defensive lineman. Linebackers are fast now and their pass coverage skills are considered more important than their run defense skills. In the NFL now, using a nickel back has become a base defense against many teams.

Every CFL team is stuck in the spread offence and they have been for a long, long time now. Innovators are usually advantaged.
The time is more than ripe for a CFL offence to get away from the spread offence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Alputt
Champion

I think we got this... Calgary struggled last week, and in the 3rd so did BC, however with a passionate crowd and the season series on the line after that last close one... BC at home. The momentum in the west is shifting. JJ > BLM!

:cheer:
almo89
Legend

Nice write up Blitz. Lumbala seems to have decent hands. I'd like to see them release him out as a receiver a little bit more. I remember when we use to have Lyle Green, we would barely release him as a receiver. When they did though, it was always a huge gain. I do agree that there's still too much spread offense. I would love to see a little bit more variety.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
pennw wrote:Hey Blitz , on the points given up by our defence dropping to fourth place , is that total points given up by BC or just points given up by our defence only ? I ask this because I know that BC has given up some points not by our D so far , such as returns for TDs and some pick sixes that were not on the D.
Its team points given up penw. Unfortunately, special team return touchdowns and interception return touchdowns end up being attributed to the defense, even when they shouldn't be. However, other stats, such as rushing yards and passing yards against the defences help balance out this stat.
The B.C. defence ranks second behind Hamilton in fewest yards allowed (321 per game), second behind Ottawa in fewest TDs allowed (15), second behind Hamilton in fewest opponent yards per play (6.0) first in fewest opposition scrimmage plays (376), first in fewest opposition first downs allowed (129), second behind Ottawa in stopping the run (64.1 yards per game), third behind Hamilton and Montreal against the pass (294.1 yards per game), second in fewest pass completions allowed (162), first in lowest opposition completion percentage (64.9%) and first in sacks made (27). Those are all much better measures of a defence than total points allowed, which includes points off turnovers and special teams.
Blitz wrote:Jennings has always impressed me with his ability to run the football while still looking downfield to throw. He did that as a rookie last season.
The game-winning TD drive last week was classic Jennings. He was aggressive in attacking the defence with his passing and running. On the game-winning TD pass, I had the same view of the field from my end-zone seat as Jennings, albeit from 80 yards away. Before the snap, the ST holder beside me implored Jennings to be cautious and to play for the field goal. As Jennings rolled to his right, I saw the field open up and yelled for him to run for a first down. But Jennings did it his way, seeing Arceneaux come open and trusting him to make the catch and turn it upfield for what turned out to be the pivotal play of the game. Jennings the gunslinger pulled it out, and his chemistry with Arceneaux, Gore and Burnham is fun to watch.

I've maintained all season that it's hard for anyone to beat the Lions unless the Lions beat themselves with turnovers or penalties. Jennings is still in his first full season as a starter and will make mistakes. He needs to learn to occasionally throw the ball away but he's still at his best when he is allowed to attack, regardless of the score. The most frustrating part of the Hamilton game was that Jennings and the B.C. coaching staff got too conservative after Jennings threw the third-quarter INT that allowed the Ticats to claw back into the game. The Lions still have scored more points off turnovers than they've given up this year. This team has the talent to play aggressively on offence, defence and special teams. They're an exciting team to watch, and they strike fear into their opponents. It's a fun time to be a Lions' fan.
WestCoastJoe wrote:At this time I am stepping back a bit with my blogging, as noticed by some perhaps. Fewer threads, et cetera. Will continue, of course, but at a less frequent rate. BCFAN stepped in to create the post game thread, and that was appreciated. All is fine. Looking forward to a great game.
:thup: I thought I had missed your postgame thread. I'll always have something to say after a game and I love to quote stats but it takes me 90 minutes to get back to Langley after a home game. I hope someone steps in sooner with a postgame thread this week. I'll post when I can.
Blitz
Team Captain

Where did you find the detailed statistics B.C. Fan? They don't have detailed stats on cfl.ca anymore.

Our B.C. Lions are now third in the Power Rankings behind Calgary and Ottawa, but like you, I believe that we have been the best team in the CFL so far this season and our two losses were the result of beating ourselves with turnovers or penalties or both.
This team has the talent to play aggressively on offence, defence and special teams. They're an exciting team to watch, and they strike fear into their opponents. It's a fun time to be a Lions' fan. B.C. Fan
I've havent' missed a single game watching all of our quarterbacks during the Buono era in B.C. We've had some good ones. In watching Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson, and Lulay play, I really believe that Jennings has the best arm of them all.

I'm hoping that we will get word soon on whether Brooks will be ready for this game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

An interesting stat fom the Leos/Hamilton game is Leone averaged 62.4 yards per punt, the third-highest single game average in CFL history. His longest of the night was 78 yards. Leone leads the league in that category, averaging 49.7 yards per punt this season.

While we had some special teams struggles in the first half of our season opener, Banks returned Leone's missed field goal for a 125 yd. touchdown return, and Leone's field goal kicking average is only 70%, overall our special team play has improved with Simmon's coaching the units this season.

We look so much more prepared on special teams.
Blitz
Team Captain

The Stamps just traded Jeff Hecht and Fred Bennett to Saskatchewan in exchange for two negotiation list players. Neither were starting for the Stamps but they add some experience to the Riders defensive backfield.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Where did you find the detailed statistics B.C. Fan? They don't have detailed stats on cfl.ca anymore.
The league was supposed to improve their stats package at cfl.ca this year but instead they've gone the other way. I've always used cflmedia.ca for my stats. Their media stats package has always been good, and has probably been improved a bit each year. The Lions and other teams also publish a good set of stats in their weekly game notes on the eve of each game alongside the rosters and depth charts. Watch for it on Thursday morning this week.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Disappointing to hear Brooks did not practice today. Very slim chance he plays Friday with only 1 practice day left.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: :thup: I thought I had missed your postgame thread. I'll always have something to say after a game and I love to quote stats but it takes me 90 minutes to get back to Langley after a home game. I hope someone steps in sooner with a postgame thread this week. I'll post when I can.
Good. Keep up the good work. Someone will step in.

Got busy. Easing off the blogging a bit. Lots of top level bloggers on the site. It is all good.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:Disappointing to hear Brooks did not practice today. Very slim chance he plays Friday with only 1 practice day left.
I think Brooks' injury is a high ankle sprain which can be difficult for a big man to recover from. At this point in the season and with a vet like Turner taking his spot it is best not to have Brooks back prior to being 100%.
almo89
Legend

DanoT wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Disappointing to hear Brooks did not practice today. Very slim chance he plays Friday with only 1 practice day left.
I think Brooks' injury is a high ankle sprain which can be difficult for a big man to recover from. At this point in the season and with a vet like Turner taking his spot it is best not to have Brooks back prior to being 100%.
After listening to Wally on 3 down radio, it looks like Brooks will most likely sit this one out. High ankle sprains can be tricky and it's better to be safe than sorry. Also interesting was to hear that Solly may have had a concussion from last game. I don't remember him getting hurt.
Alputt
Champion

Big thanks to Blitz for that insightful post! That's why I am drawn to this forum. I admit I glanced over it at first due to the length, but that is the sort of thing that teaches the game on a whole other level.

The return of the Fullback and a "true" Tight End ... I am onboard. The evolution of the offensive game plan... Back to the future in a way.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:
DanoT wrote:
After listening to Wally on 3 down radio, it looks like Brooks will most likely sit this one out. High ankle sprains can be tricky and it's better to be safe than sorry. Also interesting was to hear that Solly may have had a concussion from last game. I don't remember him getting hurt.
The Stamps had no answer for Brooks at McMahon even with double teams until he got hurt. Real shame given this is the last regular season game against Calgary. Going to take a big time effort for the defence to get it done on Friday without him. Also need Jennings and company to keep the Stamps offence off the field.
maxlion
Legend

As Blitz suggested in his opening post, these are two well matched teams in all facets of the game. The difference may well end up being how depth players make their impact, coaching, and injuries.

Brooks is a big part of the defense, and if he and Solly were both unable to play, that would be a huge disadvantage.

Some of our depth players have come up big this year, including Purifoy, Clarke, Burnham, even Turner and Hudson. No doubt Cal has some lesser known stars as well, but I can't help but love our team's depth.

It seems to me that Dickenson is an excellent strategist, while Wally is more of a motivator. In a close match, I'd have to give the edge to the strategist.

All in all, this should be a very exciting game. I'm excited to watch our star QB Jon Jennings, Rainey, Arseneaux, Johnson. But I figure that we are in tough this game. If I was a betting man, I'd bet Stamps, but I'm just a fan so of course, will be rooting for the good guys. :roar: