The Battle for First Place -Leos vs. Stamps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Kamloops Lion
All Star

The keys as I see them:
1) Penalties need to be reined in. Far too many that could have been game killers.
2) Dispense with the passivity after getting a big lead. Keep doing what got you the lead. The abrupt and unnecessary change in the second half against the Tabbies almost proved fatal. I have found this to be a consistent and baffling coaching trend with the Leos for a number of years.
3) Figure out a ST scheme to prepare for a crucial missed FG from Leone. As a FG kicker, he is an awesome punter.
4) Keep Jennings mobile and use the rolling pocket a lot against Calgary.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:As Blitz suggested in his opening post, these are two well matched teams in all facets of the game. The difference may well end up being how depth players make their impact, coaching, and injuries.

Brooks is a big part of the defense, and if he and Solly were both unable to play, that would be a huge disadvantage.

Some of our depth players have come up big this year, including Purifoy, Clarke, Burnham, even Turner and Hudson. No doubt Cal has some lesser known stars as well, but I can't help but love our team's depth.

It seems to me that Dickenson is an excellent strategist, while Wally is more of a motivator. In a close match, I'd have to give the edge to the strategist.

All in all, this should be a very exciting game. I'm excited to watch our star QB Jon Jennings, Rainey, Arseneaux, Johnson. But I figure that we are in tough this game. If I was a betting man, I'd bet Stamps, but I'm just a fan so of course, will be rooting for the good guys. :roar:
Good post maxlion and I agree. Stamps are catching a huge break not seeing Brooks again. He was dominant in the season opening win and was having another monster game against them when he got hurt. Potentially without Solly too would mean BC having a tough time dealing with Messam.

May take a shootout type win for the Lions to prevail.

Tons to consume with LU's story today. Starting with Adcock making his first start of the season on Friday night for Johnson in the biggest game of the year.
Also Vaillancourt returning to the line-up Friday in a back-up role after being healthy for the past two weeks and being a little confused at how he lost his job to an injury. Was Wally just trying to light a fire under Fabian the whole time? Very confusing how this was handled.
Levy Adcock doesn’t know where he’s going with the B.C. Lions, which is a pretty reasonable frame of mind considering he has yet to play a regular season game for his new team.
He does, however, know where has already been, and judging by a bit of the trademark scowl the Lions hoped they were getting when he signed in the off-season, it would not as if he has been in a pretty place.
“I’ve been to hell and back,” he said.
Two months ago he was in Kamloops at training camp, which is anything but purgatory but began to feel that way when he sustained an illness that has delayed his Lions debut until Friday’s season series rubber match with the Calgary Stampeders.
Adcock thought he had taken on a stomach virus as had so many of his teammates at camp. He even thought he’d somehow suffered a cracked rib, also not something out of the ordinary for a right tackle.
But his lung was eventually infected, collapsed and resulted in the loss of at least 20 pounds and the first seven regular season games with the Lions, not to mention a bout of pneumonia and feeling generally sluggish for far too many days.
It’s a tough way to make a transition if you are looking to make friends and influence new teammates immediately. Adcock wanted to show much more after leaving the Saskatchewan Roughriders the off-season, hoping to make a contribution with a new team right away.
He’s here now, and there’s no looking back.
“I thought I had a good camp, but I eventually had to take on a different mindset,” Adcock said when asked about his medical setback. “I ended up having to work my way back just like I’ve always done.”
The trick for the Lions Friday against Calgary is to make the transition along the offensive line seamless. B.C.’s starter the first seven games, rookie Antonio Johnson, didn’t do anything to lose his position, coach/GM Wally Buono said, other than the fact the Lions paid Adcock sizable free-agent cash to take their team places.
So Adcock will start and won’t be the only change when the Lions attempt to take the season series tiebreaker away from Calgary.
Rookie Charles Vaillancourt is also expected to return to the lineup, though not in place of right guard Kirby Fabien but as a backup on the short-yardage unit. Vaillancourt has been healthy for the last couple of weeks, recovering from a concussion, which made it easier for a first-year player to understand what had happened to his job status.
“It would have been a lot harder if I lost my job because of me,” Vaillancourt rationalized. “Kirby’s also playing amazing right now. I’ve also never felt sorry for myself. I understand that as a rookie I have no leverage whatsoever.”
The two linemen won’t be the only returnees for the Lions. Rather than risk a long-term problem, Mich’ael Brooks will be given another week to rest his ankle sprain, which is good news for Bryant Turner. Craig Roh is also back to reclaim his defensive end spot which had been occupied the last two weeks by rookie Andrew Hudson.
Adcock? He knows where he will be Friday. It’s a far better place than where he was at training camp.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Tons to consume with LU's story today. Starting with Adcock making his first start of the season on Friday night for Johnson in the biggest game of the year.
Also Vaillancourt returning to the line-up Friday in a back-up role after being healthy for the past two weeks and being a little confused at how he lost his job to an injury. Was Wally just trying to light a fire under Fabian the whole time? Very confusing how this was handled.
Also on the offensive line, Cam Tucker has an interesting piece in The Province Blitz section today about why veteran O-lineman Tim O'Neill is starting ahead of former first-round draft pick Hunter Steward at LG, with quotes from Wally and Dan Dorazio.
“The reason we brought Tim here is because he’s a solid veteran who has a lot of starts as a guard and as a centre. And we just didn’t feel Hunter Steward was progressing at the level that we wanted. We want to improve the offensive line,” said Buono.

“Sometimes it’s always good, when you’re a young player, to step away and watch for a while. Guys go through phases like that,” added offensive line coach Dan Dorazio. “(Steward) understands he’s growing and learning. He’s a better player today than he was three weeks ago.”
Tim O’Neill ahead of Hunter Steward at left guard for Lions

The Lions have great depth on the O-line. Antonio Johnson has really settled in at RT and Fabien has played well at RG since Vaillancourt got hurt. But the O-line was much more powerful in the first two games with Vaillancourt and Steward at the guards. The Lions still lead the league in rushing yards and attempts but they rank fifth in average gain per rush at 4.5 yards. Jeremiah Johnson averaged 5.7 yards on 21 carries in the first two games. He has averaged just 4.5 yards on 30 carries since.
squishy35
Legend

Heading down from Kamloops at 11am tomorrow to watch the game live. I hope the Lions take the season series with a big win.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As previously reported, the Lions have confirmed that Levy Adcock will get his first start of the year at RT. Antonio Johnson has been moved to the 1-game injured list. Craig Roh also returns from his neck injury to start at DE. Andrew Hudson remains on the 46-man roster as a backup while Darius Allen is bumped to the practice roster. The only other roster change is the addition of Charles Vaillancourt as backup O-lineman. Jas Dhillon moves to the practice roster.

Here's the depth chart and roster.

And for stats geeks like Blitz and myself, here are the league's official Game Notes, including lots of CFL trends, stats and analysis not available through cfl.ca.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:As previously reported, the Lions have confirmed that Levy Adcock will get his first start of the year at RT. Antonio Johnson has been moved to the 1-game injured list. Craig Roh also returns from his neck injury to start at DE. Andrew Hudson remains on the 46-man roster as a backup while Darius Allen is bumped to the practice roster. The only other roster change is the addition of Charles Vaillancourt as backup O-lineman. Jas Dhillon moves to the practice roster.

Here's the depth chart and roster.

And for stats geeks like Blitz and myself, here are the league's official Game Notes, including lots of CFL trends, stats and analysis not available through cfl.ca.

good to see that Solly is on the game roster. I am looking forward to see how Adcock settles in as it is his first start.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Tons to consume with LU's story today. Starting with Adcock making his first start of the season on Friday night for Johnson in the biggest game of the year.
Also on the offensive line, Cam Tucker has an interesting piece in The Province Blitz section today about why veteran O-lineman Tim O'Neill is starting ahead of former first-round draft pick Hunter Steward at LG, with quotes from Wally and Dan Dorazio.
“The reason we brought Tim here is because he’s a solid veteran who has a lot of starts as a guard and as a centre. And we just didn’t feel Hunter Steward was progressing at the level that we wanted. We want to improve the offensive line,” said Buono.

“Sometimes it’s always good, when you’re a young player, to step away and watch for a while. Guys go through phases like that,” added offensive line coach Dan Dorazio. “(Steward) understands he’s growing and learning. He’s a better player today than he was three weeks ago.”
Tim O’Neill ahead of Hunter Steward at left guard for Lions

The Lions have great depth on the O-line. Antonio Johnson has really settled in at RT and Fabien has played well at RG since Vaillancourt got hurt. But the O-line was much more powerful in the first two games with Vaillancourt and Steward at the guards. The Lions still lead the league in rushing yards and attempts but they rank fifth in average gain per rush at 4.5 yards. Jeremiah Johnson averaged 5.7 yards on 21 carries in the first two games. He has averaged just 4.5 yards on 30 carries since.
Thanks to Antonio Johnson for stepping in and doing a good job as a rooke at right tackle. Adcock is a load and I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

I still would like to see our Leos offensive line eventually look like Olifoye (325 pounds) Steward ( 323 pounds), Husband (307 pounds), Vaillencourt (330 pounds), Adcock (325 pounds).

I like that starting offensive line not only because of its size but also because of its talent and aggressiveness. Olifoye is the best offensive lineman in the league. Steward probably is the most athletic. He was so impressive in his 7 starts at left tackle. He has a left tackle body with quick feet and long arms and he is aggressive and strong. Its a big change for him to play guard but I sure hope he can get back into the starting lineup. Husband has been just a very pleasant surprise this season. He's smart and tough. Fabian Is a good offensive lineman but Vaillencourt not only adds size but meanness and aggressiveness.

Levy Adcock, who gets his first start as a Leo tonite against Calgary. Levy Adcock is a big tackle who has incredible strength, including hand strength. He plays with a powerful base, he has long arms, and he is has short area quickness. He is an excellent run blocker and his long arms and quickness are also very g ood assets in pass blocking. He is athletic, he has good lateral movement, and he pickes up edge rushers well with good angles. He is a natural right tackle and I'm looking forward to watching him play tonite.

We need to get our running game blocking back to the high level of our first four games of the season.

On defense, I'm very disappointed that Brooks cannot play. This is not going to be an easy game for our defensive line because Calgary's offensive line is so big and Messam is a load. Bryant Turner Junior and Westerman are in tough. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Menard and Forde also alternate inside in our four man front to keep us fresh, although we could drop one of them off the 46 man roster.

I'm pleased to see Hudson get another game instead of Darius Allen. Hudson has played well in his first two games as a starter and will compliment Bazzie and Roh.

If Eliminian cannot go tonite I have faith in Bo Lokombo. I think he is very talented.

Its going to be a hot night tonite at B.C. Place....I just hope we are cool and poised and beat Calgary. It would be a huge win if we can pull it out.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

There is a good chance that DaVaris Daniels will start tonite at boundary receiver. If he does, we can't underestimate him, even though it would be his first CFL start. Daniel's has NFL talent and he is a big, physical receiver who can stretch the field.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)