Lions at Als - Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

In every football game, there are key plays that propel one team to victory over the opposition.

No question that the key play in this game was the fumble recovery and touchdown run by Purifoy. The Als had pulled to within 5 points as the third quarter ended. Give credit to Ronnie Yell for creating the fumble.

A second key play, was the Gaitor hit that resulted in a Montreal fumble, recovered by Bazzie, which led to a field goal. Those two plays gave or led us to 10 points.

Bedes badly shanked 12 yard punt, with penalties for an illegal punt out of bounds and a roughing penalty led to 3 more points.

Jennings first pass of the game, a long completion to Bryan Burnham put the Montreal defense on their heels. It was an aggressive play and set the early tone for the game. Jennings escaped a blitz, rolled out and hit Jeremiah Johnson for a 32 yard scamper, that led to our first touchdown of the game.

On our game clinching drive, facing 2nd and 13, after Jeremiah Johnson was tackled for a 3 yard loss, Jennings hit Iannuzzi for a 25 yard gain, read the Montreal zone coverage very well to find Iannuzzi wide open. He also threw to Rainey for a 17 yard completion and threw a 15 yd. bullet to Burnham, with tight coverage.

Montreal, attempting to come back late in the 4th quarter, gambled on third down but Glenn was sacked by Bryant Turner Junior and we took over the football at the Montreal 41 yard line, leading to our final field goal of the game.
Key Win for Leos on the Road

CFL.ca Staff

MONTREAL — Just when it seemed like the Alouettes were gaining momentum, Corbin Louks fumbled a catch from Kevin Glenn and Loucheiz Purifoy made them pay.

The first-year defensive back’s fumble recovery touchdown sealed the deal for the BC Lions in their 38-18 victory over the Montreal Alouettes on Thursday night at Percival Molson Stadium.

“It really helped us, you could really tell it took the air out of all them,” Purifoy told BCLions.com “They started getting in a groove and then all of a sudden it just shut them down.”

The Alouettes had pulled themselves within five points, after Glenn ran five yards himself into the end zone with just over two minutes left in the third quarter.

To start the fourth, Purifoy took advantage of a Montreal turnover and made his way down the field for the major score — right after he told his team it needed to create a spark.

“Right before the play happened, I was telling our people ‘We gotta make a play, we gotta make a stand,’” said Purifoy. “It just so happened the ball fell in my lap.”

The ball fell in his lap and he never looked back.

And Purifoy wasn’t the only one to find the end zone in the victory.

Emmanuel Arceneaux also scored, on a pass that Jonathon Jennings didn’t think he executed to the best of his ability.

“It wasn’t purrfect but that’s what I tell my receivers: ‘Make me look good’,” said Jennings. “Manny’s good at doing that and a lot of the other guys make it easy.”

Jeremiah Johnson was the first to score a major for BC early in the first quarter – starting the trifecta of scoring on the ground, through the air, and on a turnover for the Lions.

Jennings has faith in his team’s abilities, but knows the Lions still have some things to work on – not forgetting about last week’s 15-point blown lead late in the fourth quarter that led to their eventual overtime loss against Calgary.

“We’re a great team,” Jennings added. “Once we figure all of those little things out, we’ll be even better and be really tough to beat.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions plane was delayed 14 hours returning from Montreal due to mechanical problems. See how they amused themselves

http://www.bclions.com/2016/08/05/airpo ... treal-mov/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Somewhat smaller DTs, compared to Argos and TiCats, for example, did not cause problems for the Leos. MW seems to have thrown off the training wheels. Thie fan is very happy with his work. :thup:

One thinks that Khari may also grow into his job. He was a very skilled, smart quarterback. He knows the league.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Somewhat smaller DTs, compared to Argos and TiCats, for example, did not cause problems for the Leos. MW seems to have thrown off the training wheels. Thie fan is very happy with his work. :thup:

One thinks that Khari may also grow into his job. He was a very skilled, smart quarterback. He knows the league.
MW's D was the class of the league for much of 2014, as well as the latter half of 2015, but things do seem different this year, like he's able to react and overcome a greater variety of circumstances. Perhaps someone who knows the xs and os more than I do can substantiate this, but I just see a greater adaptability and execution than in those other periods of success.

Jones' offense has been a pleasant surprise. Good variety on playcalling, recognizing blitzes and taking advantage of mismatches. Nice to see the lions pull some surprise plays out of the hat on occassion too.

Altogether, it is shaping up to be a fun year, especially coming after a couple of frustrating campaigns.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Somewhat smaller DTs, compared to Argos and TiCats, for example, did not cause problems for the Leos. MW seems to have thrown off the training wheels. Thie fan is very happy with his work. :thup:

MW's D was the class of the league for much of 2014, as well as the latter half of 2015, but things do seem different this year, like he's able to react and overcome a greater variety of circumstances. Perhaps someone who knows the xs and os more than I do can substantiate this, but I just see a greater adaptability and execution than in those other periods of success.

Jones' offense has been a pleasant surprise. Good variety on playcalling, recognizing blitzes and taking advantage of mismatches. Nice to see the lions pull some surprise plays out of the hat on occassion too.

Altogether, it is shaping up to be a fun year, especially coming after a couple of frustrating campaigns.
From my point of view, MW is doing what he said he wanted to do in each of the last two years. Aggressive, attacking D. More confident. More able to convince Wally of his plans. His D features well designed, well executed blitzes. A variety of packages. Different alignments. Motion at the LOS. Feints. Stunts. Rotation of players. A very sophisticated package. As a former DB, his charges know what to do, believe in him, and are fired up. Very intense. Very physical.

His Xs and Os, IMO, are first rate. Along with his strategies, his players are well trained. Every one knows the assignments.

As we can see, they are also having fun. In football the most fun one can have is getting after it on defence. IMO. Yes, yes, the offence gets the glory, but defence gets to run and hit. Sacks. Ints. Forced fumbles. Knock downs. Tackles. Gang tackles. Feeding frenzy.

He is evidently a very good teacher, motivator and manager of men. Unfortunately, now that he is on top of his game, he will be a candidate for HC somewhere. Hopefully here. :thup:

And also, as I have noted, it seems evident that the old fox, Wally, has adapted. His survival skills brought him countless wins, and those skills also brought him, finally, to the need to adapt. Aggressive, attacking defence. Less of formula, vanilla STs, with some surprises in there, and better prep vs tricks from other teams. Flexible offence. Some creative licence for his DC and OC. It is terrific football at this time. For years he did not need to adapt. His personnel was top notch. His Xs and Os were usually first rate. Then along came Hufnagel, Trestman, Austin, Milanovich, Jones. He had to adapt. He had to loosen up a bit. We see the product now. Very fun to watch. :thup:

IMO as a long time CFL fan.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:

I agree maxlion. I also see greater signs of adaptability and execution this season.

He runs a lot of 4 man defensive line on first down and three man line on second down....although he mixes things up. He has a lot of personell packages. His blitz packages are more effective this season. Last season, for whatever reason, we used Westerman as a defensive end and Roh as a defensive tackle for most of the season. This season, Washington has personnel lined up in the right places.

Perhaps the best example of his adaptability was our game against Montreal. Last season, when Washington felt that we needed more deep help, he dropped Bighill into a two deep zone as a safety. It was not effective and a very questionable strategy that did not feature Bighill's strengths.

Last game, with Edem out, Washington used a lot of two deep safety, using Fraser and Thompson. It was a wiser strategy and very effective.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When Thompson came in and along with Fraser was part of a two deep safety, who did Thompson come in for?
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:When Thompson came in and along with Fraser was part of a two deep safety, who did Thompson come in for?
We went three man defensive line, so he came in for either Bryant Turner Jr. or Westerman.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Statistically, a 2-point attempt is generally a better option than a 1-point attempt. Going into this week, teams had made 89.1% of their 1-point attempts (0.891 points per attempt) and 63.2% of their 2-point attempts (1.264 points per attempt). The Lions were a purrfect 100% on 1-point attempts through five games and led the league with 4 successful 2-point attempts. I'm impressed with Wally's forward thinking in using the new convert rules.
Just a matter of playing the percentages. Make 2 out of 3 and you've gained a point. Make 1 out of 3 and you've only surrendered a single. The 1 point attempt is no longer the absolute guarantee it used to be. I get the impression that Wally's philosophy now is to go for 2 for the first 3 quarters of the game. After that let the point differential determine whether to go for 1 or 2.
I've been doing some more thinking on the 2 point convert thing and have come to the conclusion this is merely an extension of Wally's desire for the team to be aggressive in all aspects. The defence has become an attacking defence. The offence with Jones at OC and Jennings playing gunslinger has become an attacking offence. To me it only stands to reason they would extend that thought process by being aggressive when it comes to convert decisions. It would be contradictory to the overall aggressive approach he's been advocating since Day 1 of training camp to suddenly go conservative on convert attempts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:
DanoT wrote:When Thompson came in and along with Fraser was part of a two deep safety, who did Thompson come in for?
We went three man defensive line, so he came in for either Bryant Turner Jr. or Westerman.
OK, thanks. I just assumed that when in a 3 man D line it would have meant Lokombo would come on the field as an extra LB and I guess sometimes he would when the D went with a single safety.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Blitz wrote:
OK, thanks. I just assumed that when in a 3 man D line it would have meant Lokombo would come on the field as an extra LB and I guess sometimes he would when the D went with a single safety.
Sometimes we go four man line and three linebackers with Lokombo in. Sometimes we go four man line with a nickel (Purifoy). Sometimes we go three man line and drop Purifoy to play deep as a dual safety. Sometimes we go three man line, two linebackers, and go with Purifoy and six defensive backs and bring in Fraser or Thompson as a second safety. We also use other zone and man/zone combinations. Washington uses a variety of personnel packages this season.