BC at Calgary. Game Journal and Post Game Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I agree with all of your points, Blitz (except #5 - if it's the play I am thinking of, we don't have the choice of scrimmaging from the 35. TDs are automatic kick-offs. And I think Paredes' kick sailed through the end zone, which didn't cost us a point).

I think the two teams could re-play that last couple of minutes 100 times and doubtful Calgary would have won more than once. But that's sports. A defense that played on adrenaline for 57 minutes relaxed just a little and took its foot off the proverbial gas pedal when fans were streaming out of the stadium when the game looked to be won.

Dumb penalties (off-side, PI, objectionable conduct) and a suspect penalty (really?? A hands to the face penalty at such a crucial part of the game?!?) along with bad coaching decisions (not running the ball late except for a head-scratching draw play on 2nd and long and the bone-headed challenge flags that left us with no timeouts) and poor execution (the two INTs should have been thrown out of bounds) did us in.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:I agree with all of your points, Blitz (except #5 - if it's the play I am thinking of, we don't have the choice of scrimmaging from the 35. TDs are automatic kick-offs. And I think Paredes' kick sailed through the end zone, which didn't cost us a point).

I think the two teams could re-play that last couple of minutes 100 times and doubtful Calgary would have won more than once. But that's sports. A defense that played on adrenaline for 57 minutes relaxed just a little and took its foot off the proverbial gas pedal when fans were streaming out of the stadium when the game looked to be won.

Dumb penalties (off-side, PI, objectionable conduct) and a suspect penalty (really?? A hands to the face penalty at such a crucial part of the game?!?) along with bad coaching decisions (not running the ball late except for a head-scratching draw play on 2nd and long and the bone-headed challenge flags that left us with no timeouts) and poor execution (the two INTs should have been thrown out of bounds) did us in.

They sure did David!

Going into this game with only two defensive tackles (Brooks, Westerman) doesn't make sense to me. With Calgarys' guards Wilson at 331 pounds and Bergman at 347 pounds and Lavartu at center at 302 pounds, Westerman was triple , at times, at nose tackle in our three man front, if we didn't blitz.

We really don't need four defensive ends for each game, including three Internationals (Bazzie, Roh, and Allen) along with Menard.

Dressing Forde at least would make sense as a third defensive tackle.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C. bound
prospect

I was at the game last night...terribly disappointed though....great to see quite a few fans in Lions jerseys!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Going into this game with only two defensive tackles (Brooks, Westerman) doesn't make sense to me. With Calgarys' guards Wilson at 331 pounds and Bergman at 347 pounds and Lavartu at center at 302 pounds, Westerman was triple , at times, at nose tackle in our three man front, if we didn't blitz.

We really don't need four defensive ends for each game, including three Internationals (Bazzie, Roh, and Allen) along with Menard.

I said in the game thread that the Lions have been playing with fire all year by dressing four defensive ends and only two tackles. This is the second time that Brooks has gone down and been replaced by undersized Canadian defensive end David Menard. Menard himself went down shortly after being inserted and pushed around by Calgary's big O-line, which forced even more defensive adjustments. I'm surprised the Stamps didn't try to use Messam more to pound the ball inside after Brooks got hurt. He had only six carries for 45 yards.

We'll likely see George Uko activated this week to replace Brooks in Montreal. I'd like to see Maxx Forde activated as well. He is a strong and athletic defensive tackle who had an outstanding training camp and has been on the 46-man roster but has been scratched at game time. The Lions have a short week, with practices on Monday and Tuesday before flying to Montreal. They will need a deep rotation of healthy players to get through the game.

Here's an injury update from Matt Baker of the Lions:
Injury Watch:

Edem (hamstring), Mic’hael Brooks (ankle) and David Menard (hip) were to be re-evaluted this weekend, but early indications suggest they could miss Thursday’s contest in Montreal. Craig Roh (neck) and Brandon Stewart (lower body) will be looked at closely.
prj
Starter

Horrible to experience those lost few moments!

But ...

The heart shown by this team was magnificent. Injuries happen, but so many in one half of football is just too much. They couldn't get pressure on a pretty capable qb, so they covered like mad. I don't think they could have expected to be leading at the close, given their manpower. But they were. And if the receiver had been able to come back to the ball (blocked, wasn't he?) they would have won it. JJ played a great game. And this is how they learn ... and he will.

A terrific effort in horrible circumstances. They should feel proud of their effort; I do.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lots of great comments. Good to read.

Terrific character on this team. JJ saying he let his team down. Nope. And they will not let him take the blame. Win together. Lose together. Learn together.

Coaches doing their all to win. Players giving their all. Amazing spectacle.

As I have commented repeatedly, and as some others agree, we need more size and depth at DT. Instead of 4 DE and 2 DT, methinks we should go 3 and 3. Drop Roh. Insert whom? We don't have 3 DT types on the roster. When healthy, Brooks should not have to face double teams all game. It seems to me Forde is much more of a DE, not a DT. Menard cannot be expected to sumo wrestle with guys 50 pounds heavier. Khalif Mitchell body type players are not all that rare.

Just IMO. Others will see it differently. Others will defend the status quo. We fans have fun with the strategy. It is much more serious for the coaches. MW might try to get by with packages and speed over size. To this fan that is putting us at disadvantage.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

Blitz wrote:
David wrote:I agree with all of your points, Blitz (except #5 - if it's the play I am thinking of, we don't have the choice of scrimmaging from the 35. TDs are automatic kick-offs. And I think Paredes' kick sailed through the end zone, which didn't cost us a point).

They sure did David!

Going into this game with only two defensive tackles (Brooks, Westerman) doesn't make sense to me. With Calgarys' guards Wilson at 331 pounds and Bergman at 347 pounds and Lavartu at center at 302 pounds, Westerman was triple , at times, at nose tackle in our three man front, if we didn't blitz.

You have dress either D. Allen or Uko, can't dress both as a DI. Thats the price paid having a US kicker. DE dress because they can play special teams, where a NT can't move well enough to play ST.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Recorded this one but haven't attempted to watch it yet as I can't think of a game in recent memory that played with my emotions as much as this did. Basically two daggers in one — the first came on blowing a late 15 point lead and the second on reaching the 7-yard-line in overtime, only to come away with nothing.

Another great recap by Blitz and others. Number one positive has to be the Lions continue to prove they have closed the gap significantly on the frontrunners in the West so far this season. Certainly a sign of the Lions progress and some regression too by the Stamps and Eskimos. But the West is there for the taking. Firmly believe the way the defence started the game Friday, BC wins comfortably without all those injuries. Especially Brooks who was constantly getting double teamed and is the Lions best defensive lineman by a significant margin. Wasn't it pointed out, Mitchell had only been sacked 8 times all season and 7 were by the Lions?

Next BIG step is winning the games are you supposed to and that's a huge hurdle based on the parity in the league and the injury bug that has now bitten the Lions big time.
I have great concern going into Montreal Thursday with what will be a patched up defence. I know there are limitations due to ratio flexibility but still don't understand why we chose Turner over Minter as an extra d-lineman when the latter is a true tackle. Understand he didn't show up in camp in great shape and was hurt but proved himself a year ago and was quickly signed by the Stamps. Now with Brooks out for at least one game, the Lions are very questionable within their interior line as the Argos proved in the game Brooks earlier missed.

Don't know why Jones decided to run Allen on 1st and goal from the 7 in OT when the lanes weren't there the entire game. Either he was going to look like a genius with a change up call or be second guessed when the Stamps were clearly on their heels with Jennings as a running/throwing threat on that drive. Unfortunately it was the latter. Just would have liked to have seen destiny in Jennings' hands for that first down play.
The lack of running game and inability to open lanes by the offensive line was a big factor in the end. When are we going to see Vaillancourt and even Adcock healthy enough to play again?

As for regulation time, the comeback door was opened when Calgary got the quick first score. Not sure what Yell was thinking biting on that move but it changed the dynamics of the finish dramatically as BC suddenly had to kill the clock with no apparent running game.

Burnham impresses me more and more. Fantastic hands and fearless. Reminds me of a young Darren Flutie who caught everything thrown his way. With Gore and Manny, Lions could have 3 1,000 yard receivers for the 1st time in a while.

One thing is for certain — Calgary's visit here in 3 weeks is huge as it gets for mid-August. Just hope the Lions can take care of business over the next couple of weeks and be healthy enough for a much anticipated rubber match.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

On the last play of OT where Jennings threw an int, he said after the game that it was a mis-throw where he didn't get the ball to leave his hand the way he wanted. I hope he has learned that in that situation (not desperate for a TD) that throw to the corner should not have been made. The correct play was to make a safe short throw only or no throw and then kick a FG on 3rd down to extend the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lots of roster juggling coming up this week as a result of the latest wave of injuries, according to Farhan Lalji.
Farhan Lalji
‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Brooks, Roh, Menard & Edem will miss #BCLions game Thurs. B Stewart possible. Turner, Forde, Hudson, Kankolongo, Gaitor will be replacements
The coaches don't seem to value size on the defensive line, With Brooks hurt, they passed on practice roster defensive tackle George Uko, who had a strong training camp, in favour of undersized CFL vet Bryant Turner, who didn't show anything in camp, preseason or in the one game when he was activated, and didn't have any stats either. Maxx Forde at least will draw into the rotation for Menard, and he had a good camp and preseason as a defensive tackle.

I follow the team closely and was at training cap but I had to look up who Hudson, Kankolongo and Gaitor on bclions.com.
96 Hudson, Andrew DE I 6'3 245 24 Washington
49 Kankolongo, Nehemie LB N 5'11 205 24 Wyoming
23 Gaitor, Anthony DB I 5'10 180 27 Florida International
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Lots of roster juggling coming up this week as a result of the latest wave of injuries, according to Farhan Lalji.
Farhan Lalji
‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Brooks, Roh, Menard & Edem will miss #BCLions game Thurs. B Stewart possible. Turner, Forde, Hudson, Kankolongo, Gaitor will be replacements
The coaches don't seem to value size on the defensive line, With Brooks hurt, they passed on practice roster defensive tackle George Uko, who had a strong training camp, in favour of undersized CFL vet Bryant Turner, who didn't show anything in camp, preseason or in the one game when he was activated, and didn't have any stats either. Maxx Forde at least will draw into the rotation for Menard, and he had a good camp and preseason as a defensive tackle.

I follow the team closely and was at training cap but I had to look up who Hudson, Kankolongo and Gaitor on bclions.com.
It seems like a choice of speed and packages over size at DT. This fan has grave doubts about the feasibility of this approach/strategy. Someone has to get down in the dirt and take on the OL behemoths. No size = squashed in the run game. And worn out by game end. You cannot give ground, and expect to run around the hogs successfully without challenging their brute power in the middle. Someone has to take them on physically. One guy? Double and triple teamed? We saw how that failed last game.

Forced by injuries? It seems deliberate, going back to TC. Roster choices. Roster assembly. Brooks is the only "big guy." And he ain't that big.

Someone, Wally or MW, seems to want to go small and fast at DT. We saw them put Roh there last year. We see them put Menard there. Forde next? Menard can do it, but not with a steady diet of DT work, it seems to me. We need some DT hogs for the sumo wrestling.

It is all interesting. Very strategic. We will see.

IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

pennw
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Lots of roster juggling coming up this week as a result of the latest wave of injuries, according to Farhan Lalji.
Farhan Lalji
‏@FarhanLaljiTSN

It seems like a choice of speed and packages over size at DT. This fan has grave doubts about the feasibility of this approach/strategy. Someone has to get down in the dirt and take on the OL behemoths. No size = squashed in the run game. And worn out by game end. You cannot give ground, and expect to run around the hogs successfully without challenging their brute power in the middle. Someone has to take them on physically. One guy? Double and triple teamed? We saw how that failed last game.

Forced by injuries? It seems deliberate, going back to TC. Roster choices. Roster assembly. Brooks is the only "big guy." And he ain't that big.

Someone, Wally or MW, seems to want to go small and fast at DT. We saw them put Roh there last year. We see them put Menard there. Forde next? Menard can do it, but not with a steady diet of DT work, it seems to me. We need some DT hogs for the sumo wrestling.

IMO ...
FWIW ,The Stamps DL was no bigger than BC's in this game . Their heaviest starter on the DL is Micah Johnson who weighs in , according to their roster , at 277 . Rotating with him is Demonte Bolden who is listed at 285 . The other DT spot is filled by Junior Turner @ 272 . Their DE are Hughes and Davis who are 240 and 238 respectively . Zach Minter did not play . Brooks is heavier than any of their guys and Westerman is as big as their biggest guy.
To me it seems to be the trend in the CFL , as other teams have under 300 DT as starters too. BC and the Stamps were the top 2 defences going into this game . Speed seems to be the way they are going .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

IMO ...
FWIW ,The Stamps DL was no bigger than BC's in this game . Their heaviest starter on the DL is Micah Johnson who weighs in , according to their roster , at 277 . Rotating with him is Demonte Bolden who is listed at 285 . The other DT spot is filled by Junior Turner @ 272 . Their DE are Hughes and Davis who are 240 and 238 respectively . Zach Minter did not play . Brooks is heavier than any of their guys and Westerman is as big as their biggest guy.
To me it seems to be the trend in the CFL , as other teams have under 300 DT as starters too. BC and the Stamps were the top 2 defences going into this game . Speed seems to be the way they are going .
Thanks for the research. Wondering about Stubler in Toronto. Steinauer in Hamilton. What size DTs they run.

Is there a trend to go small and fast? Dunno ...

We seem vulnerable. Brooks gets dinged, and we have no similar guy to step in. Westerman had three guys looking him in the face. Not sure he is well suited to that. Seems to me he needs a bigger guy beside him.

It seemed to me Calgary exposed the vulnerability we have with lack of depth and size at DT.

We might get to see how Forde does at DT. Undersized?

At this time, my reading on it ... We lack size and depth at DT. We will see. Injuries played a part in our loss. But this also might be a test case of part of our defensive strategy.

Time will tell if a "small and fast" approach is what MW and Wally want. We had Minter. 307 pounds. Very effective last year beside Brooks.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OK. Some research.

TiCats DTs

Laurent 303

Nevis 301

Atkinson 312

Gaydosh 298

Argonauts DTs

Bishop 306

Hall 295

No trend to small and fast at DT with the TiCats and Argos.

This fan prefers larger DTs. Some defences have been effectIve with smaller guys.