BC at Calgary. Game Journal and Post Game Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Alputt
Champion

Yeah I was looking for big games from Jennings, Allen, Burnham and the D... and we had them! Just not enough somehow...
zeppo
Starter

jcalhoun wrote:What a game though!

I don't mind this loss at all. Given the injuries on D, the Stamps were just, and I mean just able to best the Lions. This will leave a bad taste in the team's mouth and should keep them motivated over the next several weeks. It should be a heck of a game in three weeks when Calgary comes to BC.

I'm finding it hard to see the "silver lining" in this loss. Blowing a fifteen point lead in the final three minutes is inexcusable. During the
drive that resulted in the Stampeders drawing to within eight points, Washington rushed three on every down with the exception of the
third down gamble. That's not necessarily a bad thing if it means that the secondary is in deep zone, and not allowing any receivers to
get in behind them. So what happens? A receiver got behind them for a touchdown.

Then the Lions got the ball with two minutes to go, and instead of working the clock by running the football, Jennings does the
absolute worst thing possible in that situation...he threw an incomplete pass. As a result, the clock stopped and he was forced
to pass again on second down resulting in an interception. Stupid beyond belief. Instead, Jones should have called two running
plays, and even if they didn't make first down, they would have burned 40-60 seconds and then punted, leaving the Stampeders with a long
field and about a minute to go. Throwing the football on both of those plays made no sense at all.

There is no shame in losing to a good team, but it is the way that they lost that really annoys me.
David
Team Captain

Sucks to think what a comeback touchdown would have meant to rekindle interest in the club in this marketplace. Scrimmaging from the 5 yard line should have resulted in one. Instead we fall to 3-2.

Sure, many likely watched the game and people were entertained. But it's a results business - especially here - and a loss is a loss.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

My Players Of The Game:

Offense - Bryan Burnham
Defense - Steven Clarke
Special Teams - Chris Rainey

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Alputt
Champion

David wrote:Sucks to think what a comeback touchdown would have meant to rekindle interest in the club in this marketplace. Scrimmaging from the 5 yard line should have resulted in one. Instead we fall to 3-2.

Sure, many likely watched the game and people were entertained. But it's a results business - especially here - and a loss is a loss.

Even Skulsky said as much. :tp:

Oh well ever the optimist I look forward to the season series decider in a couple weeks. Should have clinched it tonight though.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:It seems to this fan that we did not plan effectively for adequate size and depth at defensive tackle. It seems like a glaring weakness to this fan.

Bazzie runs hot and cold. Undersized.

Even with Brooks, methinks we are undersized, and without any depth behind him. Worn out at end. No pressure on Mitchell. Injuries as an excuse? I don't buy it. Better planning. Need three hogs on the roster that can play, not one. IMO ...
Bazzie had a sack tonight and 5 for the season. Not bad for someone who is undersized.

No pressure on Mitchell ? Lions had 4 sacks.
zeppo
Starter

David wrote:Sucks to think what a comeback touchdown would have meant to rekindle interest in the club in this marketplace. Scrimmaging from the 5 yard line should have resulted in one. Instead we fall to 3-2.

They were also first and goal in the first quarter, and could only move the ball six yards in three tries. The Stampeders defence won the
battle at the line of scrimmage all night long.
yukonlion
All Star

i quesion Buono's challenges or lack thereof... 2nd down reception when the receiver clearly gets pushed out, a below the knee hit o jennings, a blantatnt holding call on a BLM scramble (mayb e not reviewable?), a hemet to helmet hit on allen in the last few minites... then challenges a bogus PI call which ahs no hope of winning... not sure what his process is to make these calls but not good...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:It seems to this fan that we did not plan effectively for adequate size and depth at defensive tackle. It seems like a glaring weakness to this fan.

Bazzie runs hot and cold. Undersized.

Even with Brooks, methinks we are undersized, and without any depth behind him. Worn out at end. No pressure on Mitchell. Injuries as an excuse? I don't buy it. Better planning. Need three hogs on the roster that can play, not one. IMO ...
Bazzie had a sack tonight and 5 for the season. Not bad for someone who is undersized.

No pressure on Mitchell ? Lions had 4 sacks.
Bazzie runs hot and cold. Undersized. -- West CoastJoe
Bazzie took a penalty or two down the stretch. Dead ball penalty too. He is undersized. Squashed on the late TD run. Dangerous pass rusher. Yes.
Worn out at end. No pressure on Mitchell --WestCoastJoe
We all saw the early sacks. But, no pressure on Mitchell down the stretch. One reason: lack of size and depth at DT. Good pressure early. Blame injuries? Some will.

My opinion ... No debate from me beyond answering once.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

yukonlion wrote:i quesion Buono's challenges or lack thereof... 2nd down reception when the receiver clearly gets pushed out, a below the knee hit o jennings, a blantatnt holding call on a BLM scramble (mayb e not reviewable?), a hemet to helmet hit on allen in the last few minites... then challenges a bogus PI call which ahs no hope of winning... not sure what his process is to make these calls but not good...
100%. I saw what you saw. Could easily have challenged the Boldewijn catch in which he appeared to be pushed out of bounds. I also saw a blatant hold when Mitchell was scrambling late in the 4th on their touchdown drive.

It was a case of misplaced challenges. Really don't know what he saw on either of them, and it cost us valuable time-outs.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
dat
Rookie

I agree with West Coast Joe regarding the pass rush. It seems that whenever Brooks is out of the lineup they have trouble mustering any type of rush. He is often double teamed which helps the other guys rushing. They need another good defensive tackle who can push the pocket. Maybe they should have kept Zach Minter for awhile. Despite a few mistakes by Jennings this was totally on the Defence tonight. Yes a few guys went down but when your offence scores 41 points you have to win. Any team that gives up 44 points will lose 99 percent of the time. Many instances of very poor tackling as well. Lets hope Brooks is back next game and they can recover.

DAT
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We see it the same way, DAT.

Penalties

BC 9/100

Cal 4/29

It was a factor.

Running game? Missing in action. Calls? Plan?

No depth at DT. Huge factor. Mitchell lit us up.

Calls in red zone in OT. Poor running play, sweep, going nowhere, full pivot, with a power back? Mobile JJ inside the 10 --> Toughest play to defend? Rollout, with pass or run?

Confusion on call in OT -- time count. OC responsibility.

We got beat as JJ went for the win. Better to die fighting. :thup: Hugely intense game.

JJ is 23. He is more mobile than I thought. He is fearless. He throws darts. He has touch. Quick reads. Quick release. He communicates and supports.

It is hard to prepare for everything. The best teams do it better.

This fan is not unhappy with the game, just the outcome. Lots and lots of good stuff.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A very entertaining game, just didn't like the ending. Losing 2 starters and rotation player to injury on the D line along with 2 D backs proved to be too much in the end.

Wally's use of the challenge flag late in the game: :dizzy: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Where was the run game especially in the 4th quarter and OT?

Great game by Jennings except 2 INTs late in the game were very costly...he will learn and move on.

Time count violation in OT due to confusion in the huddle...don't know who to blame for that one.
JohnHenry
Champion

I noticed on several plays in the final 3 minutes the clock did not start until the snap of the ball, not after the ball was spotted and play whistled in (with the previous play ending with an in-bounds whistle.) The Stamps got about an extra minute of playing time to complete their comeback. I'm not even sure the ref was whistling in the plays until all the players were set? I kept waiting for the whistle but play was seemingly never whistled in? The ref also helped the Stamps immensely with the Lions phantom "hands to the face" call, out of nowhere? If someone has PVR'd the game perhaps they could check that out?
Blitz
Team Captain

The headline for this game in the Calgary Herald says it all - Stamps Come Back from Dead to Defeat Lions in Overtime.

The obituary was written. The Stamps were almost out of last breaths. And then we gave them life saving resuscitation. They showed their appreciation by sticking in a dagger. And then we threw it away in overtime.

It was a story book ending for the Stamps and a nightmare end to the game for our Leos. We didn't lose this game based on effort. We We lost this game because we were not smart, when we needed to be and there is enough blame to assign, from coaches to players for some poor decision making.

It was an exciting game but blowing a 15 point lead in the final minutes of the fourth quarter and then losing the way we did in overtime is difficult to swallow.

Offensively, we put up a lot of points against the second best defence in the CFL, aided by a 95 yard punt returntouchdown return by Rainey and an interception return by Fraser to the one yard line. Jennings made some incredible throws and Bryan Burnham made some outstanding catches. Jenning was 26-of-41 of his passes for 374 yards and three touchdowns. Emmauel Arceneaux was one of Jennings go-to receivers on the night, making six catches for 128 yards. Bryan Burnham made nine catches for 139 yards and one touchdown.

Our defense held in there for a long time, even though they had to deal with key injuries to Brooks, Menard, Roh, Purifoy, Edem, and Stewart at various times. Some of those injuries also impacted special teams.

Clarke had an excellent game in his first shot at boundary halfback and on special teams. Steward bit on a pump-and-go that led to a 75-play touchdown play from Mitchell to Greg Wilson that trimmed the Lions’ lead to 17-13 in the first half.

But we shot ourselves in the foot and allowed Calgary to come back in a game that we really should have won.

Those key mistakes were:

1. Rainey being tackled on third and one at the Calgary goal line. I worried that the play would come back to hurt us and it did.

2. We should never have given up a long touchdown late in the fourth quarter. Yell froze on an out and up move and Clarke was not able to get over to help.

3. We had Bo Levi Mitchell in second and 20 and then we take an off-side call and Fraser gets called for pass interference.

4. Wally's two challenge calls were not wise.

5. Late in the fourth quarter, after a Calgary touchdown, we chose to receive a kick off rather than scrimmaging on our own 35 yard line. Calgary got a single on the kick off. That point would come back to bite us.

6. We should have run the football at least once, if not twice, late in the fourth quarter and taken time off the clock and then punted. Instead we throw an interception. We should have run a high percentage play on second down and then punted. The hands to the face call on Steward at that time of the game was a chintzy call by the refs.

7. In overtime, we threw the football effectively and then decided to run the football inside the 10 on first down. Then we take a delay! of game call as Jennings doesn't know we don't have a time out. You run a high percentage pass play in that situation, and if its not there, you kick the field goal.

Prior to this game, I posted that I thought we made a mistake in letting Minter go or not bringing in a studu International tackle. We use four defensive ends (three International defensive ends (Bazzie, Roh, and Allen) along with Minter. We only have one International tackle (Brooks) along with Westerman and Forde. For this game, we scratched Maxx Forde, giving us only two defensive tackles for the game. Not smart!

If one of our tackles gets hurt, we don't have a rotation, unless we go three man line. If Brooks is the one who gets hurt, we're in trouble. We should be going with two International tackles.

We really played well enough to win this game. But the mistakes were haunting ones. Yes, our defense faded in the fourth quarter and the injuries took their toll. Giving up 22 points in the fourth quarter was painful to watch.

But that is not why we lost. We lost because we gave up a long touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter. We lost because we took a long pass interference call late in the fourth quarter. We lost because Bazzie went off-side unnecessarily, negating a possible Phillips interception. We lost because Buono did not have a time out, wasting at least one on a really questionable decision. We lost because we took a hands to the face penalty, putting Jennings in a second and twenty situation late in the fourth quarter, when we should have run the football on first down. We lost because we didn't just run a high percentage play on second down and then punt the football. Instead the interception was the last thing we needed to have happen at that time. Ciante Evans made a game-saving interception for Calgary at midfield with 1:52 left in the game. A long punt would have put Calgary in a bind and prevented their comeback.

In ovetime, we had the football, with second and six yard at the goal line and we took a delay of game penalty and then threw a pass that should never have been thrown. We should have run a high percentage pass play and if it wasn't there, kicked the field goal.

This was a game we should have won.

And its a short turnaround and we have to fly out to Montreal on Tuesday.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)