BC at Calgary. Game Journal and Post Game Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jul 29

Not running the ball.

Without Brooks we are not set up to stop the run. That is poor planning, going back to TC. Lack of depth and size is obvious now.

Passing game. Not getting separation. Pass protection suspect. Predictable?

Shocking number of injuries.

JJ great start to Q3. Awesome catch by Gore. Manny for 39. We need our O to keep our D off the field. No doubt re JJ and Gore for this fan. Huge drive for us.

Ha ha Dave D gambles and loses.

Great catch by Marco. Penalty. JJ throwing darts. FG. 27-16. Every little bit helps.

Two out. Penalty. Nice work on D. Penalty. Killers. Bazzie. This drive should be over. FG 27-19.

Stamps tackle low. Borderline dirty. Manny. Burnham. JJ dart. Allen. Great Q for us. Boldy lucky. Burnham. Fantaxtic drive in the situation. 34-19.

Sack. Super quarter for us. Bazzie penalty. Penalty. Missed a hold. TD on penalties. Clarke overrun.

Two out. Fake. LOL. 12:05 left. Punt.

Durant. Parker and Durant good Canadian talent, Bazzie misses. Stop. Punt. No PI. Good call, Suits.

JJ escape. Burnham. Gore. Pressure. Burnham. Burnham. Allen. Great drive. Time count. Boldy. TD. Is JJ for real? From day 1 of TC last year. 41-26. 4:09 left.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Darius Allen. 2:34 left. 2:19 left. Wilson TD. 2:11 left.

Need a drive. Knock down. Scramble for first. Wow.

Mistake. Ouch. TD. Tie game. Time left.

Big return, Rainey. C'mon. Good return.

Gore. Penalty. Cheap call. Allen. .08 left.

Overtime. Painful. But that is football.

Nice scramble. Another. Allen first. Int. We lose. Painful. Oh my God.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

Heart breaking loss!!

Too disappointed to write much.

Exciting game but the kind of mistakes made in the last part of the fourth quarter and overtime are haunting.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
swervynmerv
Legend

First rule of OT, don't turn the ball over!

Poor play calling at the end. Taking a time count cause the play is wrong and then forcing the ball deep on the last play.

Defence did a great job with the injuries and by the end were spent. Bazzie, Allen and Westerman stepped up.
jcalhoun
Starter

What a game though!

I don't mind this loss at all. Given the injuries on D, the Stamps were just, and I mean just able to best the Lions. This will leave a bad taste in the team's mouth and should keep them motivated over the next several weeks. It should be a heck of a game in three weeks when Calgary comes to BC.

What an advertisement for the league. Great game.

James
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I tend to agree. Next season, Jennings probably doesn't make that through. It is easy to forget that he is only 11 games a starter. Let's not forget, he also didn't have much tutelage as a #2 either.

What I don't understand in OT is that they go dink and dunk with success all the way down. Why not run an option play at that point? Seemed to be working with the short plays otherwise.

Burnham is a beast!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
What I don't understand in OT is that they go dink and dunk with success all the way down. Why not run an option play at that point? Seemed to be working with the short plays otherwise.
Very frustrating to see coaches outsmart themselves by not going back to what got you there in the first place.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tough loss given the circumstances. Lions deserved a better outcome, but as team the Lions put a notch towards being a deeper team and the experience gained will pay dividends as the season progresses. As mentioned the Lions and Stamps know who the better team on the night was, it just didn't happen to show on the scoreboard. The outcome sets up a barnburner for Lion fans in BC Place.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

interceptions aside, when I look at the stats, one thing stands out. Penalties. BC 9-100, cal 4-29 defense 60 vs 10.

that's assuming you can trust cfl.ca, which is not guaranteed these days.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It was a tremendous CFL game. No lead is safe. These are two top-notch teams. Momentum swung both ways, but the banged-up B.C. defence wore down late in the game and Jennings made two poor decisions. Up to that point, he had seemed invincible, as the TSN panel noted after the game. Perhaps that made him overconfident in his receivers' abilities to make plays in coverage.

Big props to all the players for a great effort especially Bryan Burnham, who made a lot of clutch second-down catches in having a career game, with 9 catches for 139 yards.

Calgary took away B.C.'s running game, which forced the Lions to make plays through the air or by Jennings' scrambling abilities. That prevented the Lions from running out the clock and defending the lead, and put the Stamps in position to score 25 points in the fourth quarter and OT to win the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It took the Stamps overtime to beat a decimated BC Lions team. I'm optimistic going forward.
maxlion
Legend

What a fun game. Lots of highlights for both teams. In the end, injuries and mistakes at key times cost us the game, but can't feel too bad about this loss.

Gore, Burnham and Manny were outstanding. Other receivers, not so much.
I wonder if Johnson would have fared better than Allen in this game.
So much to like about Jennings despite some costly errors.
Hope Brooks' injury is not serious. We need that guy.
Clarke looks like a different player from last year. Seems to have bulked up a lot. Not helping his game much, imo.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

No way Stamps win if Lions defence isn't decimated with injuries.
Given he was basically invisible the entire game sure would have like to seen Ianuzzzi make a better effort to knock that interception away. Phillips had a chance to make a play to preserve the win and couldn't do it.

Didn't like the running play call for Allen in overtime on first and goal with Stamps reeling. Roll Jennings out and give him two shots at throws into the end zone.

Heartbreaker but a terrific game. Now how much are those injuries going to cost the Lions beyond tonight?
Alputt
Champion

Shocked. Stunned. Disappointed... I am sure there are plenty of technical theories for this OT loss but I don't care at this time. Hesitant to say "the better team won" I don't think so... Keep your head up Jennings that last pass does not define you.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It seems to this fan that we did not plan effectively for adequate size and depth at defensive tackle. It seems like a glaring weakness to this fan.

Bazzie runs hot and cold. Undersized.

Even with Brooks, methinks we are undersized, and without any depth behind him. Worn out at end. No pressure on Mitchell. Injuries as an excuse? I don't buy it. Better planning. Need three hogs on the roster that can play, not one. IMO ...

We put it all on JJ at the end. Cannot do that. We did not run well. Calgary in very tight coverage. JJ almost won the game anyway. Do not put it all on one guy.

Without JJ we are not in the game.

Kudos to Burnham.

Too early for this fan to say much good or bad about Boldewijn. He is a different body type.

Khari did not have us ready near the goalline in OT. Not prepared.

Amazingly intense game. CFL at its best. Gut ripping loss. But that is the CFL.