The Collosal Collapse by the Lime and Mustard

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Kamloops Lion
All Star

Various stories online refer to tonight's comeback by Hamilton over Edmonton as the sixth-largest comeback in CFL history, yet, maddeningly, none of these stories list the Top 5.
I have searched online and cannot find any data on this.
I recall the Lions blew it in Winnipeg in the fourth quarter during Casey Printers' final game and think that may be a candidate for one of the biggest comebacks.
Anybody have any data on the Top 10 comebacks in CFL history?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Kamloops Lion wrote:Various stories online refer to tonight's comeback by Hamilton over Edmonton as the sixth-largest comeback in CFL history, yet, maddeningly, none of these stories list the Top 5.
I have searched online and cannot find any data on this.
I recall the Lions blew it in Winnipeg in the fourth quarter during Casey Printers' final game and think that may be a candidate for one of the biggest comebacks.
Anybody have any data on the Top 10 comebacks in CFL history?
From the 2016 CFL Guide & Record Book:

Largest Comeback to Win (at any point):
27 points - Edmonton at Calgary, Sept. 28, 1975 (Edmonton 37, Calgary 36)
27 points - Winnipeg vs Hamilton, Oct. 22, 1994 (Winipeg 46, Hamilton 44)
26 points - Calgary at Montreal, Aug. 27, 1982 (Calgary 31, Montreal 30)
26 points - Calgary at Ottawa, Aug. 9. 1987 (Calgary 39, Ottawa 38)
26 points - Calgary vs. Toronto, Sept. 13, 2014 (Calgary 40, Toronto 33)
25 points - Toronto vs. Hamilton, Oct. 2, 1994 (Toronto 39, Hamilton 36)

The Lions' largest comeback was 20 points vs. Montreal on Oct. 17, 2004.

Hamilton's previous record comeback was 21 points vs. B.C. on Sept. 3, 1973.

CFL GUIDE & RECORD BOOK
Rammer
Team Captain

Always love a good Edmonton collapse. It was nice to see Mass celebrations comeback to bite him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Always love a good Edmonton collapse. It was nice to see Mass celebrations comeback to bite him.
Through four games, Edmonton has allowed 33.5 points per game – that is the most allowed by the club through the first four games since 2009 and compares to just 14.5 points against per game through four games in 2015.

'Mikey doesn't like it'! :wink: I've never been impressed with Benevedes.

He is not only the Eskimos defensive coordinator but also their Assistant Head Coach. If Benevedes ever hopes to become a Head Coach again, he had better get his defense playing a hell of a lot better than they have to start this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Rammer wrote:Always love a good Edmonton collapse. It was nice to see Mass celebrations comeback to bite him.
Through four games, Edmonton has allowed 33.5 points per game – that is the most allowed by the club through the first four games since 2009 and compares to just 14.5 points against per game through four games in 2015.

He is not only the Eskimos defensive coordinator but also their Assistant Head Coach. If Benevedes ever hopes to become a Head Coach again, he had better get his defense playing a hell of a lot better than they have to start this season.
The Eskimos' biggest problem is a lack of talent in the secondary, where they have been decimated by injuries and free-agent departures. Benevides has been in the position before in his last year as defensive coordinator in B.C. After five games, the Lions were giving up a league-worst average of 32.2 points and over 400 yards per game, and their record was 0-5. The Lions acquired veteran DB Tad Kornegay, replaced two DBs and shuffled Ryan Phillips and Korey Banks to new positions. The defence led the league after that and helped lead the Lions to a Grey Cup victory.

Responsibility for the mess in Edmonton starts and ends with GM Ed Hervey. He should have foreseen the need to rebuild the secondary a few years ago as Wally Buono did in B.C.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:

The Eskimos' biggest problem is a lack of talent in the secondary, where they have been decimated by injuries and free-agent departures. Benevides has been in the position before in his last year as defensive coordinator in B.C. After five games, the Lions were giving up a league-worst average of 32.2 points and over 400 yards per game, and their record was 0-5. The Lions acquired veteran DB Tad Kornegay, replaced two DBs and shuffled Ryan Phillips and Korey Banks to new positions. The defence led the league after that and helped lead the Lions to a Grey Cup victory.

Responsibility for the mess in Edmonton starts and ends with GM Ed Hervey. He should have foreseen the need to rebuild the secondary a few years ago as Wally Buono did in B.C.
While Hervey bears a degree of responsibility, I don't believe the Eskimos defensive play so far this season can all be laid on Ed Hervey.

Benevedes certainly has had to replace some key players. Dexter McCoil, all-star defensive halfback Aaron Grymes and defensive end Willie Jefferson left for the NFL in the off-season. Overall, the Eskimos had to replace 5 starters from last year's defence and lost John Ojo in pre-season.

While our Leos defense made changes to the secondary in 2011 to get our defence turned around, it was our defensive line that was the key to our 2011 defence.

The Eskimos are also playing with a different philosophy, defensive system, and defensive schemes under Mike Benevedes. The Eskimos defence held the Bombers to 16 points in their last outing and gave up 30 points this time at home.

A 30-23 defeat at the hands of what had been the worst team in the Canadian Football League, sthe tatistically at least, would suggest they are not progressing. Andrew Harris rushed for 127 yards against Benevedes defence last night against Howard, Sewell, Willis, Sheritt, and Lacy.

Yes, the Eskimos had to replace their entire wide-side secondary. But the Eskimos strength last year was their defensive line. But this season Odell Willis and Marcus Howard are not being used to drop back into the disguised coverages that were favoured by Chris Jones. Edmonton won last year mostly due to their blitzing and the play of their front seven.

Eskimos corner Cord Parks said, in pre-season, regarding the Eskimos defensive line "Some of the plays those guys are making, we're like, 'Wow, they're getting off the ball so fast. We've only got to cover for this amount of time?' This D-line, I'm extremely excited about that. That's a DB's dream.”

The Eskimos defence should not be this bad.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

To me it looked more like an issue with the Eskimo defense's "compete" level than scheme. They were manhandled by the Bomber O-line and I know their front four is better than that. When was the last time you saw J.C. Sherritt whiff on a tackle? Patrick Watkins repeatedly getting scorched?

Maybe they took the Bombers too lightly (although I am not sure why that would be the case....they suffered the biggest collapse in team history the week prior, one would think they'd be extra motivated). They haven't looked that flat at home in a long time.

I believe they have among the best "top end" talent in the league (Reilly, Bowman, Walker etc.), but are missing some pieces in key places (namely secondary and offensive line). I don't think Cord Parks is good enough to start on most teams.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

The media is staring to shine the spotlight on Benevedes as the Eskimo defense continues to struggle

If there is anybody who is going to be coaching from the edge of a cliff if this doesn’t get fixed fast, it’s going to be Eskimos new defensive co-ordinator Mike Benevides.

Sure, he took over a team with four new starters behind a veteran defensive line. But whatever identity he’s trying to install, he has a veteran group up front that isn’t getting any heat on anybody and the seriously second-rate secondary has been rancid.

It looked like what happened with Benevides’ defence in the Hamilton game, if not in the preceding three games, drew a map for everybody in the league to follow.

Once again, the secondary got torched.

To watch the Eskimos deliver this performance against Winnipeg was almost as shocking as the way they played in the second half against Hamilton.

Edmonton Sun