Nick Moore Gone for Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Nick Moore is gone for the season with an ACL tear. He joins T.J. Lee, who also had his season come to an end in Regina in the final moments of the game with a ruptured Achilles.

Moore hurt his knee after a touchdown celebration with Louchez Purifoy. Moore came back into the game but an MRI determined the injury upon his return to Vancouver.

Geraldo Boldewijn will take his place in the lineup. Boldewijn is long at 6'4", big at 220 pounds, and fast, with a 4.5 40 yd. dash. A tough break for Moore and an opportunity for Boldwijn.

Nick Moore Gone For Season

The slotback tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Saturday’s win in Regina.

Next Man Up: With those three little words, the B.C. Lions trust that the loss of slotback Nick Moore won’t disrupt the rhythm of a 3-1 start.

And, so far, Next Man Up is working.

“That’s how we have to be. That’s the nature of the game,” veteran quarterback Travis Lulay said. “(Running back) Jeremiah Johnson had a couple of nice games, and then he went down (ankle). In came Anthony Allen, and he’s played at a high level for us. Kirby Fabien is another example. We plugged Kirby right back in (Fabien replaced starting right guard Charles Vaillancourt, out with a concussion). We have good depth. Right now, it’s done us good in the early going.”

Moore tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Saturday’s 40-27 win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders through what appeared to be an over-exuberant touchdown celebration. He scored on a pass from Jonathon Jennings to complete a 30-yard play early in the fourth quarter. After clutching his knee in apparent pain, Moore continued to play and finished the game.

But a medical evaluation undertaken after the team’s return to Vancouver (the Lions are in the midst of a bye week) revealed the worst — an ACL tear. A heralded free-agent signing by the Lions in February, Moore now will face surgery and a long rehab.

“Next man up is a cliche. But that’s our expectation,” Lulay said. “We’re not going to do things differently (because of an injury). We’re not calling different plays for the new guy. He would be expected to play at the same speed as the guys we have on the field.”

Moore was the second major casualty suffered by the Lions in Saturday’s game. Halfback T.J. Lee underwent surgery on Tuesday for a ruptured Achilles and also will be targeting 2017 as a return date. Roster player Steven Clarke or Chandler Fenner, a training camp cut likely to be re-signed, are candidates to replace Lee.

With Moore gone, the Lions assume Geraldo Boldewijn will transition easily into the high-speed offence.

The long-limbed receiver from the Netherlands was been operating at full bore in practice for the past two weeks after overcoming his own health issues. Boldewijn had a hamstring problem in training camp, compounded by a severe case of the flu which weakened him and caused him to lose excessive weight.

The rangy, six-foot-four Dutchman made a single start for the Lions last season — in Game No. 18 against Calgary — but he showed his ability to get open and chew up yards quickly with three catches for 64 yards, including one play of 50 yards on a throw from Lulay.

“He’s long, and he can go up high to catch the ball — that’s one of his strengths,” Lulay said. “He has that grittiness and griminess to him, too, He wants to compete and get better.”

The fact that Boldewijn has played every receiver position in practice shouldn’t make the move to starting status a difficult one, he believes.

“I’m around a deep group of guys (receivers),” Boldewijn said. “That’s good. I personally like to be around a competitive situation where nothing is handed to me. It allows me to grow. When I get to start, I know I’ve earned it.”

The most surprising team in the CFL doesn’t expect miss a beat with Boldewijn in the line-up.

mbeamish@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/sixbeamers
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I guess someone might as well say it: Moore continues to be injury prone and getting yourself out for the season as a result of a TD celebration :wag: :wag: pretty much defines "injury prone".
ZLeos
prospect

Maybe time to bring back Courtney Taylor? If I recall correctly, Wally chose Nick Moore over Taylor in the off season. Maybe now is a good time to bring him back?
jcalhoun
Starter

DanoT wrote:I guess someone might as well say it: Moore continues to be injury prone and getting yourself out for the season as a result of a TD celebration :wag: :wag: pretty much defines "injury prone".
Wally refused to say the celebration was the cause though, when interviewed for 3 down radio. He likened it to when Dave Dickenson blew his knee out --sort of the accumulation of wear and tear, as opposed to a sudden trauma. Still, it's too bad for both Moore & the team. I expect this is the final act in his career in pro football.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

jcalhoun wrote:
DanoT wrote:I guess someone might as well say it: Moore continues t :beer: o be injury prone and getting yourself out for the season as a result of a TD celebration :wag: :wag: pretty much defines "injury prone".
Wally refused to say the celebration was the cause though, when interviewed for 3 down radio. He likened it to when Dave Dickenson blew his knee out --sort of the accumulation of wear and tear, as opposed to a sudden trauma. Still, it's too bad for both Moore & the team. I expect this is the final act in his career in pro football.

While Moore has had a lot of injuries, what makes you say that this one will end his career? He is 30 so not too old or is he?
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I guess someone might as well say it: Moore continues to be injury prone and getting yourself out for the season as a result of a TD celebration :wag: :wag: pretty much defines "injury prone".
Nick Moore caught 73 passes for 1,105 yards in his last season here in B.C. before signing as a free agent in Winnipeg. He missed 9 games in his first season in the "Peg' but played in 15 games last season for the Blue and Gold, catching 76 passes for 899 yards.

In our first 4 games this season, Moore had 15 receptions for 205 yards, with an average of 13.7 yards per reception. What will be missed are his experience, his knowledge of CFL defenses, and his smooth, smart, route running.

Boldevijn has only started one game in the CFL. It will likely take him some time to learn how to run routes against zone defenses. What he does have is potential. Not only is he a tall, big, (220 pounds), and fast receiver but he also has long arms, can leap, and likes contact. He oozes potential but he also has a learning curve to deal with.

He's had hamstring injuries in the past, including this year's training camp.

We also have receivers Devonn Brown and Shaq Johnson on the practice roster so we have three International receivers vying for that 'next man up'..... but my guess is that Boldevijn will get the nod to replace Moore for our next game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rodu
Champion

On such an innocent, well not even a play. And Lee is no surprise. Lee's loss will hurt us more I think. Looking forward to see if Boldevijn can contribute right away. Just means more Burnham, and thats a good thing
MikeAK
All Star

Absolutely ridiculous. Not happy about this one bit. Wish players would act like they've scored before instead of acting like they've just won the Grey Cup after every score. What a useless injury.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I do hope that other players take note. It seems pretty silly to put a career at risk for something so avoidable as an optional celebration. Kind of like riding a motor cycle without a helmet.....oh wait.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Maybe he can talk his brother Lance into filling in for him during his absence? He's currently a FA. :wink:

Who's idea was it to let him play the rest of the game with a torn ACL? Can't imagine that it did the injury much good. :surrender:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:Maybe he can talk his brother Lance into filling in for him during his absence? He's currently a FA. :wink:

Who's idea was it to let him play the rest of the game with a torn ACL? Can't imagine that it did the injury much good. :surrender:

DH :cool:
Not sure why Moore was allowed to go back into the game either. While my following comment may be controversial, our B.C. Lions have a history, under Buono, of playing players injured or allowing players to start, after an injury, before they were ready to. Perhaps the best examples have been our quarterbacks. Dickenson was rushed back too early from his concussions, Printers started in 2005 with a rotator cuff injury, in which he could only practice throwing underhand during the practice week, Buck Pierce played in games in which he was so obviously injured in was painful to watch, and Jarious Jackson was given a start with a hand injury that he should not have been on the field.

Perhaps the worst example is Casey Printers in 2010. He was played on such a bad knee, that 8 days after he was cut from the team, he underwent total knee reconstruction surgery. I realize my comments are a negative, as we enjoy a successful start to the season, but this topic has been a concern for me for a long time and I have posted these types of comments on a few occasions before.

The article below by Mike Beamish features a comment from our infamous TheLionKing on Lionbackers.

Casey Printers' bad knee confirmed by surgery
The Vancouver Sun
Published on: October 22, 2010 | Last Updated: October 22, 2010 6:32 PM PDT

The Sun’s Mike Beamish reports from Calgary:
Quarterback Casey Printers still hasn’t lost the ability to excite and inflame the passion of Lions fans, even when he is no longer a Lion.

On Thursday, TSN reported that Printers (left) had undergone surgery on his right knee, eight days after his release by the Lions, and the news spurred those who believed Printers had stoically suffered in silence during his disappointing second go-round with the team to view him in a much different, more heroic light.

“I suspected all long that he was suffering the effects of his knee injury,” said a blogger known as the Lion King, just one of many who weighed in on the lionbackers.com website. “Doesn’t say much about [Wally] Buono blaming Printers for the Lions’ offensive woes.”
Printers is now recovering from a major knee reconstruction similar to the operation performed earlier this season on offensive lineman Andrew Jones and one that running back Jamall Lee will undergo in about a week’s time.

Printers had a partial tear of his ACL and a torn meniscus repaired by the team’s orthopedic surgeon, Bob McCormack, and the Lions will monitor Printers’ rehab when he returns to Texas in a few days. That is an obligation the Lions are fulfilling as if Printers was still a member of the team, which he’s not.

On the day Printers was released, Lions coach Wally Buono confessed that it was one of the hardest decisions he’s ever had to make. Printers, of course, hadn’t performed like the Casey of old. His frustrations reached the boiling point Oct. 11 in Winnipeg, when he staged an on-field tantrum against teammate O’Neil Wilson after throwing a game-killing interception against the Blue Bombers.
Unacceptable behaviour. Buono said he was left with little choice but to release a player who had lost the respect of his teammates and was no longer fit to lead.

Still, one wonders if Buono would have pulled the trap door if, say, Printers’ quarterback rating of 81.4 was 20 points higher, or if he had thrown 20 touchdown passes, instead of the 10 he did, or if he had rushed the football 63 times (Henry Burris of the Stampeders) instead of just 13?

If Printers had been more physically capable, so might the speculation suggest that the Lions’ record could be 10-5, instead of 5-10. And would Printers have “lost” the room, as Buono suggested, if he was a winning quarterback? Players have a way of putting personal issues and grievances behind them when the top gun is getting the job done, not so much when he isn’t.

All conjecture. We’ll never know. But you get the impression that Printers took one for the team when he continued to play on a bum right knee, one that contributed to his apparent lack of mobility, if simply because he was wearing a brace which limited his effectiveness.

“He, potentially, could have a ‘scope [arthroscopic surgery],” Buono said back in July, when a report that Printers was headed to the surgical table caused a media firestorm at the team’s Surrey training facility. “It could be to correct a minor irritation or a clean-up job. This is very common in professional sports. As far as a torn ACL and a season-ending injury . . . I can’t ever remember anyone saying his injury was season-ending or career-ending. I don’t sense it’s a big issue because he’s too nimble. He’s moving around.”
Buono, naturally, wanted to believe what he wanted to believe. And Printers never came clean about the true extent of his injury.
“As you can see, I’m running around,” Printers said in July. “It’s getting better.”

But it really never did. In fact, when the ‘scope went in Thursday, it revealed damage much more extensive and consistent with earlier media reports that Buono termed “premature” and “unfounded.”

By the time CFL training camps open in June next year, Printers should be back to normal, though we don’t know what the new normal is for him anymore. He’ll also have turned 30, and coming off major knee reconstruction, you wonder who will take a chance on him?

In Vancouver, we’ll always wonder how effective he might have been with two good pins here.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm going to guess that A. they didn't suspect it was that bad or that B. Moore minimized it or both.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Middle aged golfers do the chest bump celebration after winning a hole, without injury. Strange that pro athletes hurt themselves doing it. :dizzy:

One suspects that the knees of many pro athletes are compromised already, making them susceptible to this type of injury.

Stuff will happen. Whatever steps a club might take to prevent it, it will come down to the individual athletes themselves to protect and prolong their careers.

It is a shame for Moore, who was headed to a very productive year for the Lions.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
pennw
Legend

I'm also going to go with the idea that they did not know the severity of the injury to Moore and don't believe they would knowingly send him out if he had a serious injury . It looked minor when it happened and he walked off the field . It is easy to criticize when you don't know all the facts . But I suspect many players downplay their injuries so they can play . At the end it was Wally Bouno who pulled the plug on Dickesnon's playing career here due to his concussion situation and DD just went over to Calgary to continue playing . Same with Pierce , he went onto Winnipeg when Wally thought it was time for him to quit. And those other teams let them continue after Wally would not.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I'm going to guess that A. they didn't suspect it was that bad or that B. Moore minimized it or both.
X2 A lot of injuries seem minor at the time when the adrenaline is flowing.