Leos Early Season Success Entering the First Bye Week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions have to be happy with Antonio Johnson who has started at Right Tackle for Levy Adcock (signed as a FA at Dorazio's recommendation) while he is recovering from pneumonia. Johnson is a CFL rookie with some NFL experience, has taken a few penalties but has not looked out of place nor look like he needed blocking help.

The Lions have some veteran backups at a lot of positions, something that is typical of top ranked teams. :good:
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

Wally, Wally and more Wally.
*He knows the key to success in football is controlling the line of scrimmage so as GM made sure that was addressed in the offseason, and as head coach makes sure the right players are in the right positions. I had a conversation with Ed Hervey shortly after the 2011 Grey Cup. I asked him about how important Lulay was to the Lions win. He said something like "that D line of the Lions couldn't be controlled by any O line in the league".
*We now know important it is to have a head coach aligned with his GM, and how bad it can be for them not to be. Now we have a head coach and GM fully in sync, which cascades down to the assistant coaches and players. Having a head coach looking over his shoulder totally disrupts the leadership chain of command and creates chaos. I have worked for a president that was looking over his shoulder to the CEO all day long. It just doesn't work.
*Finally, Wally's total focus on 100% effort and winning. The power of playing for the winningest coach in CFL history, and one of a very few winningest coaches in the history of pro football can't be understated. Even players from the US that hardly know a thing about the CFL are bound to be awed when they hear their coach is one of the best ever, in any league.
Mane
prospect

Alputt wrote:I saw Nick Moore has a bad X-ray or scan or whatever, and likely hurt himself for a couple games at least on his TD celebration? Any truth to this?
Gone for the season
Rodu
Champion

Down two starters four weeks in. Happens to every team
caobax
Rookie

Como the I'll as all season ticket holders. Are there not anymore midfield, season tickets? An ididaxe
Blitz
Team Captain

One player who has gone under the radar for our Leos early success is Rolly Lumbala. Lumbala is a 9 year vet of our B.C. Lions. He is an excellent lead blocker for the run when we use him in an off-set two back set, a very good pass blocker, and he also lines up as a tight end at times. Lumbala, at 6'2, 245 pounds, not only picks up blitzing linebackers and defensive backs but is also strong enough to run bock and pass block defensive ends.

He is also a very good special teams player.

In our game against Regina, Lumbala had one carry for 8 yards and one pass reception for 12 yards. But it was his key block on blitzing Rider that gave Jennings an extra split second to make his long touchdown throw to Shawn Gore.

But in most games, Lumbala often goes unnoticed by fans. He most often is not given the football in the running game and is only occasionally thrown a pass. Used mainly as a run and pass blocker when we go off-set two back set or as a tight end when we go two tight end set, Lumbala's contributions often go unnoticed.

The fullback position began to evolve with the introduction of the West Coast offence. As teams moved way from pro sets and I formations, the role of the fullback became more of a blocker and pass receiver in the West Coast. And then came the spread offence, adopted from the U.S. college ranks. Tight ends and fullbacks almost became extinct. Offences preferred to spread the offence out with fast receivers in space. The ace back or the empty backfield ruled the day. Quarterbacks lined up exclusively in the shot gun or the pistol.

The 2007 New England Patriots offence was one of the most successful spread attacks in NFL history. They broke team records for the most points in a season, most touchdowns in a season and most first downs. Additionally, Tom Brady broke the record for the most passing touchdowns in a season. By 2011 Houston, Denver, San Francisco, and Jacksonville were the only NFL teams to run the ball more than they passed it. In comparison, in 1978, every NFL team had more rushing attempts than they did pass attempts.

In the CFL, in the 1990's John Hufnagel, offensive coordinator of the Calgary Stampeders, assisted by Jeff Tedford, introduced the spread offence to the CFL. Defenses were not prepared for it, in terms of strategy and personnel. Its success was eventually copied by every CFL team and the spread offence is used in one flavor or another by every CFL team and has been for well over a decade now. Tight ends went the way of the dodo bird, replaced by slotbacks. The Canadian fullback was retained by some teams for short yardage blocking and special teams.

However, in the NFL, the tight end has made a comeback. In 2011 the New England Patriots moved away from the the spread offence and used In 2011 and used Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez to form one of the best tight ends tandems in NFL history, racking up an amazing 2,237 yards between them. Both players blocked well in both the passing and running game and Tom Brady threw for a career high 5,235 yards. Last season, the Seattle Seahawks traded their all-star center for Jimmy Graham, in order to incorporate a two tight end system into their offence. Most NFL teams now use tight ends as part of many of their offensive packages.

It appeared as if the same thing would begin to happen in the CFL last season. Jeff Tedford came to the CFL and said he wanted to use a tight end system and recruited two International imports in Morrah and A.C. Leonard to play the position. However, OC George Cortez didn't know what to do with them and just lined them up as slot backs in the spread formation.

Last season, in the NFL, we saw a lot more two back sets and the return of the fullback. Denver used a fullback often in its march to the SuperBowl. Seattle Seahawks' fullback Will Tukuafu began to play more of a prominent role. Other NFL teams have begun to use more two back sets.

A real positive is that our Leos have seen the positives of having a fullback like Lumbala on our roster. Used as a hybrid fullback/tight end, he gives our team the opportunity to go heavier in pass protection against blitzing defenses or to add a lead blocker or tight end to the running attack.

Khari Jones has not been stuck in the spread formation this season, as he was in 2014, using only the five pack receiver set or empty backfields.

I believe we could use Lumbala a bit more as a runner, as a change up and also utilize him on screen plays. Millington was deadly as a screen fullback in 2001.

An interesting stat is the CFL's three best teams so far this season, Ottawa, B.C, and Calgary are the CFLs' three best rushing teams. Calgary was the the most successful team in this decade so far and they did it offensively, with a strong rushing attack. In a pass happy league, you still have to run the football effectively.

Whatever, kudos to Lumbala for his contributions to our Leos.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
The_Pauser
Legend

I'll have to continue reading through the posts as it looks like there's some good discussion here.

One correction though: the Lions didn't miss the playoffs in 2010. In fact, I believe we have the longest playoff streak in the league dating back to 1999.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:I'll have to continue reading through the posts as it looks like there's some good discussion here.

One correction though: the Lions didn't miss the playoffs in 2010. In fact, I believe we have the longest playoff streak in the league
dating back to 1999.
BC hasn't missed the playoffs under David Braley's ownership.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It is threads like this that I would put up against any fan thread in any forum in this league. Lots of great facts and analysis.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm wondering whether our Leos will start Anthony Allen at tailback for our next start or go back to Jeremiah Johnson.

My choice would be Anthony Allan

A closer look at the two Leos tailbacks:

Allen, while only playing two games for us, is 4th in CFL rushing. He also has the best average gain per rush in the CFL at 6.2 yards per carry.

Jeremiah Johnson started our 1st two games. He is 8th in CFL rushing, with a 5.7 yard average.

In his two games, Allen caught 5 receptions for 36 yards, for an average of 9 yards per reception, including an impressive catch and run touchdown. Johnson had 2 catches for 6 yds in his two games, for a 3 yd. per reception average.

Anthony Allen is 6'1" and 223 pounds. He was a Jeremiah Johnson is 5'9" and 210 pounds. Allen was a 7th round draft choice of the Baltimore Ravens. Johnson went undrafted. Allen has 4.54 speed and Johnson has 4.52 speed.

Allen is younger at 27 years old whereas Johnson is 29 years old. Allen finished 2nd in CFL rushing in 2014, while playing for the Riders, with a 5.5 yd. average. In 2015, in Saskatchewan, he carried the football 92 times for an impressive 6.2 yd. average.

Johnson started his CFL career in Toronto in 2014, where he played 5 games before being released and then joined Ottawa and played in 5 games that season. He averaged 5.7 yds per carry. Johnson started 10 games for Ottawa in 2015 before getting hurt.
He ran for 448 yds for Ottawa last season, with a 4.6 yard run average.

When I look at both tailbacks, both have equal speed, Allen is the better power runner and the better overall athlete (his NFL Combine results were impressive). Allen is also younger and more durable.

The spread offence in the past, tended to favor quicker backs who could hit the hole fast inside on the zone read or run the cut back. They needed to ba able to pick up the blitz as a pass blocker and to be able to catch the football out of the backfield.

I prefer a more power tailback as we move to more pro sets to help the running game. Jerome Messam is leading the CFL in rushing, He is massive at 6'3, 268 pounds, and a 5.7 yd. average. Andrew Harris is second in CFL rushing based on biga lot of carries but he only has a 3.9 yard average. Harris only had 28 yards on 10 carries for Winnipeg last night against Calgary.

With CFL defenses using big defensive tackles to negate the inside zone read, CFL offences are better off running off tackle, blocking against lighter defensive ends using pro sets and using a power back who can run through nickel backs. They can also insert a speed back (import kick returner) in the rotation to challenge the edge. A power back also can be a more effective blocker in the spread formation in picking up the blitz.

I was disappointed to see Andrew Harris not be signed this past, season. His football story was one to pull for as a Canadian tailback and he was a ratio bonus. But his age, salary demand, and more so, his constant complaining about his use in our offence, under three different offensive coordinators finally tested Buono's patience last season. Andrew Harris had the most rushes of any CFL tailback in 2015 and was targeted the most of any CFL tailback in the passing game, as he always was as a Leo, and still he was not happy with his role.

So far, the decision to change direction, in terms of our tailback situation, seems like a good one. We lead the league in rushing or did going into this week (Calgary has likely just slipped ahead of us) and our running game in the 4th quarter has been a key to our victories.

When Vaillancourt returns and Adcock finally plays at right tackle, we're going to have the biggest offensive line in the CFL, with aggressiveness and the potential to dominate. With a big powerful running back like Allen, and a 245 pound fullback like Lumbala, when we go off-set two back set, and we could wear opposition defenses down.

While I have a feeling that we will go back to Johnson at tailback, I still hope we'll choose Anthony Allen for the reasons I've written above. But either way, right now, there is a feeling of confidence in our running game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:The spread offence in the past, tended to favor quicker backs who could hit the hole fast inside on the zone read or run the cut back. They needed to be able to pick up the blitz as a pass blocker and to be able to catch the football out of the backfield.

I prefer a more power tailback as we move to more pro sets to help the running game. Jerome Messam is leading the CFL in rushing, He is massive at 6'3, 268 pounds, and a 5.7 yd. average. Andrew Harris is second in CFL rushing based on biga lot of carries but he only has a 3.9 yard average. Harris only had 28 yards on 10 carries for Winnipeg last night against Calgary.

With CFL defenses using big defensive tackles to negate the inside zone read, CFL offences are better off running off tackle, blocking against lighter defensive ends using pro sets and using a power back who can run through nickel backs. They can also insert a speed back (import kick returner) in the rotation to challenge the edge. A power back also can be a more effective blocker in the spread formation in picking up the blitz.
Blitz, you make a good point about different types of running backs being used depending on the offence. The differences were clear in the Calgary-Winnipeg game last night. Jerome Messam was gobbling up yards running through big holes off tackle as Jon Cornish used to do, while Andrew Harris was struggling to find holes up the middle in the zone read, as he often did with the Lions. He is most effective in the open field, usually as a receiver.

Going into the season, I was hoping the Lions would use Allen as their main back because of his ability to pick up tough yards inside but Johnson is more explosive and can better turn the corner if he gets to the outside. They can both be effective when healthy. It's a nice dilemma to have.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

When Wally passed on offering a new contract to Harris he said he could get 2 International RBs for close to what he would have to pay Harris. Little did I think that he would come up with 2 RBs with CFL experience. Lions probably now have the best depth at RB in the league.

I favour Allen because of his greater size.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The only concern I have with Allen is his tendency for dropping the football. Against a good team like Calgary it's suicide.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The only concern I have with Allen is his penchant for dropping the football.
I noticed last game that as soon as Allen got past the LOS it was 2 hands on the ball. :cheer:
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:The spread offence in the past, tended to favor quicker backs who could hit the hole fast inside on the zone read or run the cut back. They needed to be able to pick up the blitz as a pass blocker and to be able to catch the football out of the backfield.

Blitz, you make a good point about different types of running backs being used depending on the offence. The differences were clear in the Calgary-Winnipeg game last night. Jerome Messam was gobbling up yards running through big holes off tackle as Jon Cornish used to do, while Andrew Harris was struggling to find holes up the middle in the zone read, as he often did with the Lions. He is most effective in the open field, usually as a receiver.

Going into the season, I was hoping the Lions would use Allen as their main back because of his ability to pick up tough yards inside but Johnson is more explosive and can better turn the corner if he gets to the outside. They can both be effective when healthy. It's a nice dilemma to have.
Pleased that we both agree on Allen B.C. Fan. I'm not so sure that Johnson can better turn the corner than Allen. Johnson is a slasher who likes to run inside whereas Allen will kick it outside, as he did so effectively against Toronto. Johnson hits the hole faster but Allen reads blocks very well.

In terms of the concern about fumbles....Allen has averaged one fumble for every 4 games he has played in his CFL career. Johnson has averaged one fumble for every 5 games played in the CFL. Its correctable. Johnson has tended to fumble after being hit whereas Allen has tended to fumble fighting for extra yards. Both can be coached with proper technique. Johnson can learn to carry the football higher and tighter. Allen can learn to wrap both hands around the football when he is fighting for extra yards.

Allen also never fumbled once in his four seasons of college, including running the football a lot in his two seasons at Georgia Tech.

Perhaps the best example of a back who had a serious fumbling problem and corrected it was Tiki Barber of the New York Giants. Tiki Barber, a talented running back, had fumbled the football an average of 9 times in his previous three seasons. Once he was coached into better ball holding techniques he only fumbled 9 times over his next three seasons.

You can teach a back to hold onto the football but you can't teach a back when to explode or hesitate, when to spin or put his head down, or when to cut or cut back.

There are reasons that Anthony Allen was drafted into the NFL and got reps with Baltimore as a running back in 2011 and 2012 and Jeremiah Johnson was not drafted. You don't easily find power backs of Allen's size, power, and athleticism that that can run a 4. 54 40 yard dash. Allen's scouting report positives coming out of college were
Big, thick frame with powerful lower body. Strong initial burst through the line, maintaining low center of gravity and secure cradle. Powerful back who keeps his legs moving and displays great balance on contact. Able to maintain his footing when spun around by defenders, even if it means running backward or sideways to continue forward progress. Keeps his weight forward to generate downhill momentum. Never fumbled in four college seasons. Primarily a power back, but flashes cutback and change of direction ability in the open field for his size.
Scouting report on Jeremiah Johnson was:
Johnson is a excellent athlete blessed with speed and power. He plays with great balance and has a knack for finding holes (being very creative on the open field). Even with great lateral quickness, he does not run hard inside. He is a good, but not great receiver. Tending to wear down late in games, durability issues are a major concern

Age and durability are factors in my choice of Allen. Johnson has had a number of knee and foot injuries in his past before turning his ankle in Game 2 of this season with our Leos.

We have a very good situation this season, having both on our roster but I'm not so sure that we'll be able to keep both next season.