Rod Pedersen calls for Brooks head

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So I guess there is no chance for Pederson or other media types in Regina calling for equal punishment for Newsome who hit Jennings below the knees at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:So I guess there is no chance for Pederson or other media types in Regina calling for equal punishment for Newsome who hit Jennings below the knees at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Of course not. Whenever an opposing player does such things it's with deliberate intent to injure. When a Rider player does it it's purely accidental. Newsome could've been flagged twice on that one. Not only did he manage to hit Jennings below the knees but he also slapped him in the helmet before contacting the legs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:So I guess there is no chance for Pederson or other media types in Regina calling for equal punishment for Newsome who hit Jennings below the knees at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Of course not. Whenever an opposing player does such things it's with deliberate intent to injure. When a Rider player does it it's purely accidental. Newsome could've been flagged twice on that one. Not only did he manage to hit Jennings below the knees but he also slapped him in the helmet before contacting the legs.
Scott Schultz used to roll up on the legs of QBs. Dickenson as an example. Schultz looked like a Caterpillar tractor. Not illegal at the time, but dirty as hell.

My recollection of the Brooks hit: If Durant had fallen in the same direction as Brooks, no problem. Durant was turning the other way as Brooks fell down. Brooks was off balance, being blocked by the OL. Waddaygonna do? He fell down. Where the heck else could he have landed? He did not roll towards Durant. Brooks seemed to try to roll the other way. Durant's leg was somewhat under the falling tree. The damage could have been much, much worse. (It looked a little bit like Rob Murphy falling on the leg of teammate Jason Clermont. Ugggghhh)

In my view, no supplementary discipline warranted.

In view of the later hit on Jennings, it would be biased in the extreme if the league rules against Brooks. IMO ...

We will see if Jones and those angry Riders' fans get their way.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Durrant was on the practice field today in uniform. He is considered 'unlikely' to play on Thursday. Looks like his ankle sprain is not too serious.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Totally agree WCJ. There's several laws of physics involved when a 300# DL is battling with a 300# OL; resistance, force, inertia and gravity amongst them. Unfortunately some think the DL should hav hav agility of players half their size and make Barry Sanders-like cuts in the blink of an eye when resistance of the OL is removed and force and inertia take over.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
almo89
Legend

Hambone wrote:Totally agree WCJ. There's several laws of physics involved when a 300# DL is battling with a 300# OL; resistance, force, inertia and gravity amongst them. Unfortunately some think the DL should hav hav agility of players half their size and make Barry Sanders-like cuts in the blink of an eye when resistance of the OL is removed and force and inertia take over.
Exactly. Most of us here understand that physics. Rider fans don't always think with logic. Their forums are always a good place to visit after a loss if I want a chuckle.
CardiacKid
Legend

Pedersen said in his blog that Brooks "slew foot" Durant in his attempt to deliberately injure him. When I hear slew foot, I visualize a hockey player first of all but mostly associate a player kicking out the feet from under an opponent with a sweeping motion of their own foot or leg. And also grabbing them around their head and chest and pulling them backwards.

I just watched it again in slo-mo and throughout his falling down and into Durant, Brooks essentially kept his legs in line with his body. There was no kicking or sweeping motion. He didn't bring his knees forward to bury them in the back of Durant's legs. He didn't sweep his legs or feet forward to kick out Durant's legs or chop him down. There was no rolling up the legs and his arms didn't make contact.

Was it unfortunate? Yes. Does Brooks need to be more in control so the Leos don't get dinged for 45 yards in penalty yardage again? Yes. Did he embellish his fall into Durant to maximize the damage he could inflict? No.

The TSN panel didn't even broach the notion of the hit being dirty, borderline dirty or inappropriate. Hell, even former QB Matt Dunigan said it was part of football and shifted the focus on the Riders for not acquiring an experienced backup.

Slew foot my ass.
pennw
Legend

I re-watched it on PVR again and do not think there was any intent . What you do see is Brooks blowing past the OL heading toward Durant and he looks like he went sideways past Durant in order to avoid hitting him,but his legs do not clear Durants legs. He could have easily delivered a body blow had he not change his trajectory , but chose not to . Listening to Suiter and Cuthbert ,they thought he did not look intent to hit either.
Of course Rider fans and their green coloured glasses beg to differ , but that is to be expected . Reading stuff on CFL.ca of course you have your trolls there who insist it was a leg whip , but they do have credibility issues , a certain brother of a CFL national DE comes to mind .
Interestingly not all on Riderfans agree their was any intent . For the record , Brooks has no such history what so ever .
CardiacKid
Legend

pennw wrote: Reading stuff on CFL.ca of course you have your trolls there who insist it was a leg whip , but they do have credibility issues , a certain brother of a CFL national DE comes to mind .
Hmmm....care to spill the beans?
pennw
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
pennw wrote: Reading stuff on CFL.ca of course you have your trolls there who insist it was a leg whip , but they do have credibility issues , a certain brother of a CFL national DE comes to mind .
Just go over there and read the game day thread , I think you'll figure it out . The brother in question used to be on this board , then the Riderfans board where he got banned for being a troll for too long , now is an Argo fan and happens to have a real hate on for BC since some falling out between his brother and BC . Now he frequents CFL.ca where he is not very popular either .
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:
Just go over there and read the game day thread , I think you'll figure it out . The brother in question used to be on this board , then the Riderfans board where he got banned for being a troll for too long , now is an Argo fan and happens to have a real hate on for BC since some falling out between his brother and BC . Now he frequents CFL.ca where he is not very popular either .
Do you recall what Foley's brother used for a username on Lionbackers when Foley was a Lion?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:So you are saying that not only is he biased, he is a coward too? :dizzy:
No not at all. Just saying its a different dynamic with a community owned team.

I think the guys who cover the Leo's are employees of Team 1040. The Leo's are privately owned so media can be a little more opinionated with teams like the Leo's and Canucks.
Ask Tom Larscheid about what happens to opinionated broadcasters when it comes to the privately owned Canucks. You could probably get away with criticising the Lions on TSN 1040 because the Lions need the broadcaster more than the broadcaster needs the Lions. The Canucks on the other hand hold the upper hand in the relationship with their host broadcaster. If 1040 lost the Canucks rights they would lose too much credibility as an all sports station in Vancouver who could not secure the rights to the most popular team in town.
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
pennw wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:
Do you recall what Foley's brother used for a username on Lionbackers when Foley was a Lion?
Area51 , uses the same name in the other places too.
squishy35
Legend

Blitz
Team Captain

Mic'heal Brooks has been fined by the CFL for the so called 'low hit' on Darius Durrant.

Saskatchewan Roughrider Jonathan Newsome was fined for a low hit to quarterback Jonathon Jennings while Riders Josiah St. John was also fined for a chop block on Mic’hael Brooks.

Loucheiz Purifoy was also fined for a dangerous tackle on Riders receiver Ricky Collins Jr.

Four of the 8 fines imposed by the CFL for the week came out of the Leos/Riders game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)