Lions at Riders, Game Journal and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
chwk_lionsfan wrote:You have to give Wally a lot of credit for sticking up for his team even though he got a penalty for it. That's the kind of coach players can rally behind.
I don't know how to do a link but at the Lions website there is a video of the Lions locker room post game ball awards and Wally gets some ribbing about taking a penalty. Since it was an after the whistle penalty I think Wally has to fine himself.
http://www.bclions.com/2016/07/16/allac ... uly16-mp4/
swervynmerv
Legend

I have to comment on the Brooks hit on Durant as some others have.

On Rider Fans and in the media they are up in arms about the play and want Brooks suspended.

I PVR'd the game and went back and watched it several times in slow motion and although I get it, Rider fans are simply wrong.

On the play, as Brooks is coming around his man and has his hands raised in an attempt to either knock down the ball or tackle Durant. The Rider defender, who is beat on the play, gives Brooks a push in the back as he goes by him. At this point, Brooks legs slip from under him and he slides into Durants lower body.

I get Rider fans being upset losing their starting QB again for a time, but in my opinion, although unfortunate, this was not a deliberate slew foot by Brooks. Sometimes a big man running at full speed is gonna lose balance and not be able to control his body.

In an effort to protect the QB's in the CFL, the right call was made for roughing the passer. Calls for a suspension are unwarranted as I see it.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

swervynmerv wrote:I have to comment on the Brooks hit on Durant as some others have.

On Rider Fans and in the media they are up in arms about the play and want Brooks suspended.

I PVR'd the game and went back and watched it several times in slow motion and although I get it, Rider fans are simply wrong.

On the play, as Brooks is coming around his man and has his hands raised in an attempt to either knock down the ball or tackle Durant. The Rider defender, who is beat on the play, gives Brooks a push in the back as he goes by him. At this point, Brooks legs slip from under him and he slides into Durants lower body.

I get Rider fans being upset losing their starting QB again for a time, but in my opinion, although unfortunate, this was not a deliberate slew foot by Brooks. Sometimes a big man running at full speed is gonna lose balance and not be able to control his body.

In an effort to protect the QB's in the CFL, the right call was made for roughing the passer. Calls for a suspension are unwarranted as I see it.
I don't think anyone over on Riderfans is calling for a suspension or fine on the below the knee hit on Jennings that Wally had to throw a challenge flag to get called. Why is that?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:From what I have seen Wally is being much harder on his OC and DC, with positive on field results.

On the game itself, anytime a team can physically dominate a CJ coached team, you have to credit the coaching staff. I have waiting for that team for a number of seasons, nice see it this year. Being able to kill the clock by running the ball when the opposition knows you are running is a sign of an elite team. We aren't quite at that level, but having the OL at that point this early in the rebuild season, is a solid building block.
I think I'll wait to see if the Lions can dominate the Riders again. CJ coached they may have been but even CJ can't make essentially a whole new team good quickly. Add to it that the Riders team last night was basically decimated in the game with key, key injuries at QB, offensive line and receiving. It is doubtful that Wally himself would have been able to overcome those odds had he been coaching for the Riders last night.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

swervynmerv wrote:I have to comment on the Brooks hit on Durant as some others have.

I was checking out RiderFans.com and found some posters that weren't calling for blood...much to my surprise. Yes, there was definitely some who were calling for a suspension, saying Wally likes players who deliberately injure others, even some demanding payback in the form of ending Jennings season with a dirty hit. But there were some who were a little more rational and less "not only do I drink the Green Koolaid, I bath in it".
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:

I was checking out RiderFans.com and found some posters that weren't calling for blood...much to my surprise. Yes, there was definitely some who were calling for a suspension, saying Wally likes players who deliberately injure others, even some demanding payback in the form of ending Jennings season with a dirty hit. But there were some who were a little more rational and less "not only do I drink the Green Koolaid, I bath in it".
I actually found that as well. I was expecting much more of the "out for blood" kinds of responses over there and I was quite surprised (and pleased) that there were many more reasonable interpretations of that Brooks hit. We'll see I guess if the league agrees. I'm sure they will look at it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Rammer wrote:From what I have seen Wally is being much harder on his OC and DC, with positive on field results.

On the game itself, anytime a team can physically dominate a CJ coached team, you have to credit the coaching staff. I have waiting for that team for a number of seasons, nice see it this year. Being able to kill the clock by running the ball when the opposition knows you are running is a sign of an elite team. We aren't quite at that level, but having the OL at that point this early in the rebuild season, is a solid building block.
I think I'll wait to see if the Lions can dominate the Riders again. CJ coached they may have been but even CJ can't make essentially a whole new team good quickly. Add to it that the Riders team last night was basically decimated in the game with key, key injuries at QB, offensive line and receiving. It is doubtful that Wally himself would have been able to overcome those odds had he been coaching for the Riders last night.
Agree Sir Percival. It was a lot of injuries for the Riders to overcome. However, I thought Chris Jones was reckless with the lead. It was one thing for Jones to decide to play his trademark aggressive blitzing defense in this game, after being much more conservative in his first two games. But it was another to keep dialing up 7 and 8 man blitzes on almost every play.
Rodu wrote:

TJ Lee looks badly hurt, who is next up on the depth chart?

Looked like his achilles popped....Maybe Steven Clarke?

Lee gone for the season with a torn achilles

That's a tough break. He was playing at an all-star level and was the Lions' most effective blitzer from the secondary. Neither Steven Clarke nor Ryan Phillips can replace him but Phillips will likely be moved to Lee's position unless someone new is brought in.

One option that might work with the current roster is to move Brandon Stewart to nickel, where he has played previously. Purifoy would move to Lee's boundary halfback position, which he played in training camp. Clarke would move to Stewart's field corner spot, which he played last year. Good thing the Lions have a bye week to figure it out. B.C. Fan
B.C.FAN
Its a real loss. The short side half back position is the toughest position to play in the defensive backfield. Who knows what the coaching staff will do but those are a lot of changes to make. My best guess is that our Leos will just move Clarke into Lee's position, at least to begin with, and hope he can get the job done. Clarke is fast enough to play the short side half back spot (4.5 40 yd.)

Initially we had Clarke penciled to play the nickel spot but Purifoy had such athletic ability and aggressiveness that we moved him to nickel to get him into the starting lineup.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

T.J. Lee has a ruptured Achilles and will undergo surgery this week. Gone for the season. He was having an all-star start to the season.

It looks like it will either be Stephen Clarke or Chandler Fenner taking his place. Clarke is likely the player who will slot in but Fenner was with us at training camp and cut but may be the better choice for our defense at this position. He's 6'1, an aggressive defensive back who is fast and is also a decent blitzer.

Nick Moore is also going to undergo an MRI on his knee. It was hurt in a post touchdown celebration in Regina.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
South Pender
Legend

Blitz wrote:Nick Moore is also going to undergo an MRI on his knee. It was hurt in a post touchdown celebration in Regina.
Shades of Bill Gramática:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1224,d.cGc

Jeez, I cringe when I see celebrations. There are minor injuries, serious injuries, and devastating injuries, and then there are dumb injuries. I noticed that Moore came back in after the celebration. Hope it's minor.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:
Blitz wrote:Nick Moore is also going to undergo an MRI on his knee. It was hurt in a post touchdown celebration in Regina.

Jeez, I cringe when I see celebrations. There are minor injuries, serious injuries, and devastating injuries, and then there are dumb injuries. I noticed that Moore came back in after the celebration. Hope it's minor.
Every time I see players jump up to do the bump I cringe and think of Gramatica. There's been a few more since then too.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
South Pender wrote:

Every time I see players jump up to do the bump I cringe and think of Gramatica. There's been a few more since then too.
Amazingly Mike Benevedes never hurt himself once doing his 'Benny Bumps' with his players coming off the field. :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Amazingly Mike Benevedes never hurt himself once doing his 'Benny Bumps' with his players coming off the field. :wink:
I beg to differ, Been's belly bumps cost him the leadership of his team once he was promoted to HC, eventually hurting himself very badly.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Leos/Riders game was the 4th most watch sports program in Canada this past week with 668K viewers (693K if you include the French RDS numbers). It was the highest rated game among the 4 CFL contests.

1. MLB, Blue Jays at A's, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,100,000

2. MLB, Blue Jays at A's, Saturday, Sportsnet: 913,000

3. MLB, Blue Jays at A's, Friday, Sportsnet: 796,000

4. CFL, Lions at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN: 668,000

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Leos/Riders game was the 4th most watch sports program in Canada this past week with 668K viewers (693K if you include the French RDS numbers). It was the highest rated game among the 4 CFL contests.

1. MLB, Blue Jays at A's, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,100,000

2. MLB, Blue Jays at A's, Saturday, Sportsnet: 913,000

3. MLB, Blue Jays at A's, Friday, Sportsnet: 796,000

4. CFL, Lions at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN: 668,000

DH :cool:
The Lions and Riders always seem to have the most loyal fan bases on television. Hopefully the Lions' strong play this year will entice more of those fans into the stadium.