Riders vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

First of 3 straight games on the road for the Lions. First up is the winless Saskatchewan Roughriders under Chris Jones. Road teams have won the majority of the games this season. Hope this continues for another week. Michael Brooks returns to the interior of the defensive line. Kirby Fabien makes his 2nd straight start at guard replacing Charles Vaillancourt.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:First of 3 straight games on the road for the Lions. First up is the winless Saskatchewan Roughriders under Chris Jones. Road teams have won the majority of the games this season. Hope this continues for another week. Michael Brooks returns to the interior of the defensive line. Kirby Fabien makes his 2nd straight start at guard replacing Charles Vaillancourt.
Road teams are a purrfect 3-0 this week and an incredible 11-3-1 this season. The Lions, Stamps and Esks remain the only teams to win at home. The trend won't continue forever but let's hope it lasts one more game.
Blitz
Team Captain

Former Leo A.C. Leonard and Jonathan Newsome will be lining up for the Riders defense and attempting to sack Jonathan Jennings. Leonard has the only sacks for the Riders this season.

The article below reminds me of the frustration of last season, when we recruited two tight ends in Cam Morrah and Leonard but instead of using them in some pro sets we just stuck with the spread and lined them up as slot backs.

Leonard has 4.5 speed as a defensive end. It will be interesting to see how he plays against us today.

‘Reinvented’ Rider A.C. Leonard looks for revenge, win against former Lion teammates

Mike Beamish, The Province 07.16.2016 |

REGINA — In the Canadian Football League, there are reclamation projects, and there are reinvention projects. A.C. Leonard of the Saskatchewan Roughriders is both.

When last seen by fans of the B.C. Lions, he was one of two former NFL tight ends recruited by head coach Joe Tedford last year and converted into slotbacks. The tight end, as an offensive weapon, was in vogue again in the NFL and NCAA ranks. Tedford, with a background in both, figured, why not in Canada?

The experiment foundered, however, after Cam Morrah, a former tight end with the Seattle Seahawks, tore his ACL. Following a sparkling debut against the team he now plays for — Leonard had two touchdown catches in the Lions’ 27-24 win over the Roughriders on July 17, 2015, at Mosaic Stadium — he was released last August after dropping a pair of passes against the Montreal Alouettes.

By that time, Tedford had decided a brutish, 252-pound slotback wasn’t needed as much as a fleet wide receiver who could stretch the field.

While Tedford is gone now, Leonard has returned to the CFL — only as a defensive end for the Roughriders, trying to wreak havoc tonight on his former team and the quarterbacks with whom he practised toss and catch last year.

“I took passes from all of them — (Travis) Lulay, (Jon) Jennings, (John) Beck, (Greg) McGhee,” explained Leonard, after the Roughriders’ final prep for this afternoon’s 4 p.m. kickoff against the Lions. “Now I’m going to try and put them on the ground.”

While only Jennings and Lulay are still with the team, Leonard has a bone to pick with the Lions, even though Tedford, the coach who released him, is no longer with them.

“I don’t feel like they fed me enough (passes),” Leonard said. “This is my time to get some revenge. But, to me, they’re really a nameless opponent. We need to get a win for our team (0-2 to start the 2016 season) and our fans.”

By the second week of his first training camp with Roughriders, Leonard had made the switch to defensive end so seamlessly that Shawn Lemon, a prized free-agent acquisition at D-end, grew disenchanted with his more limited role. He requested a trade which was eventually granted.

At the same time, Jonathan Newsome, another defensive end whose promising NFL career with Indianapolis literally went up in smoke — the Colts released him in February after multiple marijuana related incidents — was showing a frightening combination of speed and agility in Roughrider camp. Lemon was getting squeezed out of the picture by two athletic freaks.

“With our athletic ability, and our football IQ, we can pretty much play any position on the field,” explained Newsome, who roomed with Leonard two years ago when the pair were training in Pensacola, Fla., for the NFL combine. “A.C. can have an impact on both sides of the ball. But defence is where we’re needed. We just ball out, wherever we’re needed to help the team.”

Physical specimens who transition from offence to defence in a snap are as common as X-men. Yet Leonard holds little fascination for Roughriders’ head coach Chris Jones, who knew of his background and had little hesitation in making the switch.

The converted tight end with the 4.5 speed had a pair of sacks in his CFL debut as a D-end, a 30-17 defeat to the Argos on July 1.

“He (Leonard) was the No. 4 defensive end in the country, coming out of high school (Jacksonville, Fla.),” Jones explained. “And he was the No. 1 tight end in the country, coming out of high school. He’s very similar to Newsome. Tremendous athletes. Very similar to Anwar Stewart (two-time CFL most outstanding defensive player), when he was young. Very similar to Charleston Hughes (two-time CFL all-star).

“Now, it’s a matter of determining: can they show up week to week, game to game, meeting to meeting? We have to work at getting both of them to pay attention to what we’re doing, keeping them on task.”

Confidence is a wonderful thing, and Leonard seems to have it.

Last season, with the Lions, teammates remember him pestering defensive linemen during practice, and telling them, “I can do what you guys do.” Now they believe him.

“I used to laugh about it,” admitted Lions defensive end Alex Bazzie. “He was a big body who could catch. I told him, ‘I doubt you’re a big body who can be physical and go hit somebody.’ It’s shocking what he’s done. He was a nice pass catcher.”

OK, Leonard can play defence. All that’s left to ask is: How good will he become?

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

We'll need to play well defensively against the Riders offence. Riders QB Darian Durant in his first two games, has passed for 627 yards, five touchdowns, and zero interceptions. He's only been sacked once.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I would like to see Khari Jones get a little more creative in his play-calling. Not necessarily gadget plays (although some jet sweeps or reverses to Rainey would be welcome!), but definitely more play action - especially with our strong running game, and more pump fakes to freeze defenders. I would like to see him move the launch points for Jennings, occasionally even pulling the ball down himself if he sees an opening.

That is one of the strengths of Mike Reilly. Many (most?) of his throws are when he steps up in the pocket, keeps his feet moving and his eyes downfield. It seems to me Jennings has been programmed to stay in the pocket this year, where he's either throwing risky passes into tight coverage, or unnecessarily taking sacks (when he could either be on the move, or throwing the ball away).

Jennings needs to be "Printerized." That is, less pre-programmed and static, and more improv and use of his God-given instincts and abilities! :rockin:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

They need to be aware of Newsome and hopefully they have something in place to negate his impact. He may show up as a defensive end on the depth chart but he shows up all over the field. He has great pursuit to the ball. He has to be considered amongst the early front runners for MODP.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Leo's will need to plan for Rod Pedersen to, late in the game, blow the power grid to Mosiac one more time should the Riders be losing. So keep they will need to keep an eye out for a guy sneaking from the media box with "Homer" written on his forehead carrying a confetti canon in the direction of a power transformer.... :tease: shouldn't be too hard, just need to separate him from all the other brown-nosing, sycophants in the Saskatchewan media that have "Homer" tattooed on their forehead.
I actually tweeted at Pedersen to account for his actions during the pre-season power outage at Mosiac. He was strangely silent on the matter....suspicious I thunk. :tease: :clown:
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:I would like to see Khari Jones get a little more creative in his play-calling. Not necessarily gadget plays (although some jet sweeps or reverses to Rainey would be welcome!), but definitely more play action - especially with our strong running game, and more pump fakes to freeze defenders. I would like to see him move the launch points for Jennings, occasionally even pulling the ball down himself if he sees an opening.

That is one of the strengths of Mike Reilly. Many (most?) of his throws are when he steps up in the pocket, keeps his feet moving and his eyes downfield. It seems to me Jennings has been programmed to stay in the pocket this year, where he's either throwing risky passes into tight coverage, or unnecessarily taking sacks (when he could either be on the move, or throwing the ball away).

Jennings needs to be "Printerized." That is, less pre-programmed and static, and more improv and use of his God-given instincts and abilities! :rockin:

Couldn't agree more David. Jennings is a good runner who sees the field very well. I would like to see him take off more. No sense having a double threat quarterback and then keeping him in the pocket throwing when he could put more pressure on a defense by using both his legs and his arm.

Interesting that you said "Printerized". You could also have 'Lulayized', at least for 2011.

But too often, too many CFL offensive coordinators take double threat quarterbacks and turn them into statues in the pocket. In 2004, Casey Printers ran for 469 yards. His run threat helped him also become a very successful passer that season. He threw for over 5,000 yards, 35 touchdowns, with only 10 interceptions, and he tied that season for the best percentage passer in the CFL. Not bad, considering Printers only had 2 game throws in his 2003 season as our third string quarterback.

But we wanted to make Printers a pocket passer. We did the same to double threat Buck Pierce and double threat Jarious Jackson before trying to confine Printers to the pocket again, in 2010. Printers best season season running the football was in 2004, his inaugural season as a starter.

Buck Pierce followed in the same pattern. In 2006, even though he only started 6 games, that season turned out to be one of his two best seasons running the football of his career. Jarious Jackson's first season as a starter part way through 2007 and his 2008 season were his best seasons running the football. He rarely tried to run after 2008. Travis Lulay had his second best rushing season in 2010, even though he only started 9 games for us. Lulay used his legs longer than any of his predecessors but he doesn't look to run as he once did (in part due to his shoulder)

I believe defenses better prepare for dual threat quarterbacks once they realize they are a threat to run. The spread also tends to keep them in the pocket throwing, the longer a dual threat quarterback plays in that offensive system. But even more so, I think dual threat quarterbacks too often get too programmed in offensive systems and that takes them away from their natural tendency to run, at times, when there is opportunity to do so.

I'd like to see Jennings use his legs a little more often.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Lions could really do themselves a favour in the long run with a victory tonight. If the Riders lose this game they could very easily be 0-4 after next week's game against Ottawa. An 0-4 start, with back to back home field losses, could really put the Riders into a tailspin. After tonight, the Lions next 7 of 9 games are against very good teams (well, let's see if Hamilton will still be considered "good" for much longer).
Blitz
Team Captain

While Chris Jones has yet to get his defense playing the way he wants them to, the Riders offence looks dangerous.

Durrant threw four touchdowns last week, finding Rob Bagg, John Chiles, Shamawd Chambers and Ricky Collins in the end zone. Collins, in his first year in the CFL, hit the 100-yard mark in just his second game with six receptions for 115 yards and his touchdown reception. He had four catches for 82 yards in the first half against Edmonton. Roosevelt led all CFL receivers in Week 2, with 9 receptions and caught all five thrown his way last week.

This is a dangerous receiving unit that Regina has put in place for 2016.
David
Team Captain

Would anyone else like to see Bryant Turner line up at DE beside Mich'ael Brooks? I like Craig Roh, but wouldn't mind seeing what Turner can bring, being a big athletic body. Bazzie is fine on the other side. I like his speed off the edge and he seems to have improved his game.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Bodog has the Riders as 2 point favourites....with all due respect to the Riders and the fact it is only week 4, how does a winless team become favourites against a 2-1 team? If I remember correctly, 10 of the Riders' points against the Eskimoes came directly off 2 turnovers by that Edmonton returner who secured the ball like it was a wasp's nest.... Remove that incredibly sloppy play and the Riders had no business taking that game to overtime. While some aspects of the Riders game are formidable, there are definite gaps.

And Rod Pedersens' buddy Scruffy has some locker-room fodder for the Leos....

"I know I'm not the only one out there who thinks the BC Lions could go back to Vancouver with their tail between their legs after getting a whuppin from the Saskatchewan Roughriders. I get the feeling the /=S=/ are going to beat the BC Lions and beat them by double digits at Mosaic Stadium tomorrow night. I feel after the first two games, this team is ready to break out and hang one on the Lions. Time will tell my friends, time will tell."
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Would anyone else like to see Bryant Turner line up at DE beside Mich'ael Brooks? I like Craig Roh, but wouldn't mind seeing what Turner can bring, being a big athletic body. Bazzie is fine on the other side. I like his speed off the edge and he seems to have improved his game.

some of the comments this week was bryant didn't really have TC and still in preseason form. But long-term I agree with you, he has to be given a shot at 5-tech DE.
plus he can play DT if Brooks gets hurt mid game
Alputt
Champion

I'm hoping Jennings shows better accuracy, and tries to involve Nick Moore a few more times. Anthony Allen I thought was pretty good last week, hopefully he can be as effective against his old team. Ryan Phillips should give Durant some nightmares!

I think it will be a close game those 0-2 Riders have something to prove. Let's see the Lions get an early TD and take the crowd out of it somewhat.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:Would anyone else like to see Bryant Turner line up at DE beside Mich'ael Brooks? I like Craig Roh, but wouldn't mind seeing what Turner can bring, being a big athletic body. Bazzie is fine on the other side. I like his speed off the edge and he seems to have improved his game.

Bazzie was tied for the lead league in sacks going into this weekend's action. For the rush end position on our Leos it seems that we have gone with a lot of undersized speed guys. Bazzie is only 228 pounds, which is middle weight linebacker size, Darius Allen is 240 pounds, and Kache Palacio, not dressing for this game is very light at 220 pounds.

For the short side rush end position we have Roh starting, at 265 pounds, with Menard rotating in at 259 pounds. While Bryant Turner Jr. has mostly played tackle in the CFL he has speed, skill, and experience and can play outside on the line. He was a defensive end in college. He certainly could be looked at, in place of Roh but I also wonder why we haven't instead put him on the roster in place of Darius Allen. That would offer us flexibility. We could, at times, use Turner Jr to spell off Westerman or Brooks on an inside rotation, while also spelling off Roh or even Bazzie, in a 3 man defensive line which we use often.

Certainly Bryant Turner Jr. offers much more flexibility for defensive line combinations and rotations than Allen.
r
Max Forde is slotted to rotate in at the defensive tackle position. Forde played defensive end in college. Forde is 262 pounds and has improved. Forde had the the best analytics of any player taken in the 2015 CFL draft, despite the fact he wasn't selected until the seventh and final rod, 58th overall. His size -- six-foot-five, 262 pounds -- wingspan and 40 time were just some of the measures that were used for computer analysis to determine draft-worthiness.

Maxx Forde, for example, was timed in the 40 at 4.78 while Craig Roh, who played at Michigan, runs a 4.91 40 yard dash.

Right now, David, using a different combination, as II believe David Menard is better than Roh - we really could go with an all-National combination at defensive end on the short side with Menard and Forde, if we chose to. Brooks, Westerman, and Turner Jr. could rotate inside, with Bazzie and Allen at the wide side rush end spots.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2 and out. Not a good way to start