Jennings Will Start Next Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Jonathan Jennings will line up behind center as our starting quarterback next game against the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

Jennings was pulled late in the third quarter against Toronto. At that point Jennings was 11-of-18 passing, 132 yards, with a 60.4 QB rating. We had run the football very well but we had struggled to finish drives. Two fumbles and a holding penalty had also hurt our offence to that point.

Travis Lulay was 12-of-15 passing, for 156 yards and a 106.5 efficiency rating. He threw an interception on his last drive but looked very good overall and his arm strength looked more like 2011 and 2012.

But Lulay's performance in relief will not lead to a start in our next game. There will be no quarterback controversy, as in times past (eg: Dickenson/Printers or Pierce/Jackson). Wally has learned from those times it appears. Jennings role and Lulay's role on this 2016 Leos team was established prior to training camp and will remain that way it looks, at present.

However, as Sammy Greene illustrated, in his recent post on Post Game Comments, Jennings numbers have mostly been down trending in his 9 starts.

56 (playoff game, injured)
132 (pulled late in 3rd quarter)

Jennings is 8th in passing yards in the CFL, so far this season.

Jonathan Jennings, (along with Buono's return to the sideines) was a key reason for so much positive attention for our B.C. Lions in this off-season. Jennings, will not replicate the 2004 season of Casey Printers, who only had 4 throws in 2003, before he went on to his 2004 MOP season. Jennings could still mirror the 2011 season of Travis Lulay. Lulay had a number of starts in 2010, had some struggles in early 2011, and then went on to play incredibly well to become the 2011 MOP.

But Jennings could also not become a Top Tier quarterback. He seems to have all the tools. He is poised in the pocket, has a quick release, an accurate arm, and he can make all the throws. He is mobile and a dual threat quarterback.

Jennings, this season, has been provided with the CFL's best running attack and decent pass protection, other than the first half of our season opener. But our offence has still had its struggles.

There is a big difference, in term of pressure, between being a 3rd string quarterback, as Jennings was in 2015, and getting an opportunity to start and being anointed as the leader of an offence for an entire season, as Jennings has been for 2016.

Another question that has to be asked is whether Jennings is being surrounded with the necessary ingredients for success. Two questions emerge. Are our recievers good enough? Is our passing offence the right fit for Jennings?

In reading recent Lionbackers posts, the one question that seems to predominate, regarding our receivers is that we do not have a burner type of receiver who can threaten defenses deep. I view Arsenault as a deep threat who can also outfight defenders on deep footballs. Iannuzzi has deep speed but is rarely used in that way. Burnham, Moore, and Gore have good speed but not burner speed. Still, many CFL teams do not have a Chris Williams type of receiver. Boldejiwn could be an asset down the road to our receiving crew.

I view our passing offence as more of an issue for Jennings. We line up Gore outside almost all the time. We line up Iannuzzi wide almost all the time in our five pack receiver set. Arsenault, Moore, and Burnham are almost always in the slot, using the waggle. We don't take advantage of matchups.

For example, at times, we could line up four receivers to the wide side of the field and isolate Arsenault on the short side. He can beat single coverage, especially against a corner that we can exploit, and if they double him, we go to the wide side, where one of our receivers should be open. We could move receivers around more (we used to do that with Simon) and use motion more often to create space.

Right now our passing game is very easy to predict and therefore defend. Stubler played his safety up to take away our slotback routes and cover the inside of the field. Jennings is rarely given a set passing play and goes through progression reads on almost every play. We don't seem to be making it easier for him, knowing that he lacks experience.

Expectations for Jennings are being tempered from the very high optimism that was in abundance for 2016. Perhaps those expectations were too high. I think Wally made the right decision to pull him last game and also the right decision to come back with Jennings as our starter.

I also think we need to be more innovative in our passing attack. More play action passes, with our running game going so well, would also help. Higher percentage pass plays on second and short would also be beneficial.

We have a very long week to make positive change. Hopefully Jennings will have a very good game against Regina. Jones will be bringing a lot of blitzes and playing our receivers tight. We'll need to be ready for that type of defense.

Jennings shakes off the hook, expected to start Lions next game

Mike Beamish
July 8, 2016

B.C. Lions' quarterback Jonathon Jennings, left, is sacked by Toronto Argonauts' Ken Bishop during the second half of a CFL football game in Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday July 7, 2016.

Thursday was a tough night for the young Lions QB.

In his college days at Montana State, Travis Lulay was known as the Comeback Kid for his Joe Montana-esque ability to pull off wins on the final drive of the game.

That knack for summoning the power of the possible came with him to the Canadian Football League. And it was what B.C. Lions head coach Wally Buono secretly hoped might happen when he inserted Lulay late into the third quarter of Thursday’s 25-14 defeat to the visiting Toronto Argonauts, with starting quarterback Jonathon Jennings looking a little like a lost soul.

Nobody likes spitting into the face of a lost cause more than Lulay.

“Travis definitely did give us a spark,” said running back Anthony Allen. “Don’t get me wrong — Jon is the leader of this team. Jon is the quarterback. But Travis is such an exciting player. He’s been here for so long. He’s so comfortable in there. As players, we feel that comfort. He was relaxed, and he made us relax. That’s when we started rolling.”

With the Lions down 22-6, Lulay had guns blazing in his second turn at the wheel, completing all five pass attempts on an 82-yard scoring drive he finished off with a touchdown pass to Allen, before tossing a two-point convert to Nick Moore.

It was not enough. The Lions pulled within eight points but got no closer. Still, Lulay hung in there, threatening to score again with less than two minutes remaining when he had the Lions on the move — he completed five passes on the drive — only to throw a game-ending interception.

The final stat line read: Lulay, 12-of-15 passing, 156 yards, 106.5 efficiency rating. Jennings: 11-of-18 passing, 132 yards, 60.4 QB rating.

Jennings or Lulay? Who starts next Saturday’s game in Regina against the Roughriders? Buono doesn’t think the decision is difficult.

“Jennings is starting,” he said Friday. “We’re not changing the process. He didn’t fumble (the Lions lost two). He didn’t get the holding calls. But we were in a rut in the third quarter. The fact we have two quarterbacks we have a lot of confidence in allows us to be able to do what we did. It’s all part of the growth process.

“We’re not going to put Jonathon in a situation where all the pressure is on him. If you have a guy like Travis around, why not utilize him?”

For Jennings, getting pulled represented a rite of passage. Thursday was the first time he’d been relieved in the course of a game he started. It hadn’t happened before at Westerville South high school, Saginaw Valley State or during his short, 10-game career as a starter in the CFL.

“We weren’t making plays,” Jennings acknowledged at Friday’s team rundown in Surrey. “The scoreboard wasn’t showing what we were doing on the field. That’s our fault for not finishing.”

The question of pulling Jennings was not just what was best for the team, or what the Lions owed Lulay, who had yet to take a snap this season, but also what Buono believed was in the quarterback’s best interests.

“When you have a young quarterback, you gotta be careful that you don’t try and force him to do things when the situation is not going well,” Buono said. “The pressure on him is released. He knows it’s not all on him. It takes heat off him, and puts it on the team. I believed it was the right thing to do.”

“I’m not worried about pressure,” said Jennings, who turns 24 in two weeks. “But when you feel you need to make every play, to make every correct throw and make the team run, it makes it a lot tougher. When I went to the sidelines, I saw the game in a different light, because you don’t have the pressure on you.”

If he was annoyed by the coaching decision, Jennings is not letting on. But Buono would be disappointed if he wasn’t.

Lulay recalls being pulled twice before in his CFL career. The second came early in 2011, at Empire Field. It must have caught his attention. He went on to become the league’s most outstanding player that year.

“The first time Wally took me out, he took me aside and said, ‘Look, Trev, this happens to everybody,’” Lulay said. “You gotta be mentally tough to not let that affect you. Wally pulled Doug Flutie out of a game. ‘I’ll pull anybody out of a game,’ he told me, if it’s not their game.

“The thing is, you can’t take it personally. And I don’t think it will affect Jon. You just need to swallow your pride a little, decide to move on and get better.”

mbeamish@postmedia.co

NEXT GAME

Saturday, July 16

B.C. Lions at Saskatchewan Roughriders

4 p.m., Mosaic Stadium
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good post, Blitz.
“Jennings is starting,” he said Friday. “We’re not changing the process. He didn’t fumble (the Lions lost two). He didn’t get the holding calls. But we were in a rut in the third quarter. The fact we have two quarterbacks we have a lot of confidence in allows us to be able to do what we did. It’s all part of the growth process.

“We’re not going to put Jonathon in a situation where all the pressure is on him. If you have a guy like Travis around, why not utilize him?”

For Jennings, getting pulled represented a rite of passage. Thursday was the first time he’d been relieved in the course of a game he started. It hadn’t happened before at Westerville South high school, Saginaw Valley State or during his short, 10-game career as a starter in the CFL.

“We weren’t making plays,” Jennings acknowledged at Friday’s team rundown in Surrey. “The scoreboard wasn’t showing what we were doing on the field. That’s our fault for not finishing.”

The question of pulling Jennings was not just what was best for the team, or what the Lions owed Lulay, who had yet to take a snap this season, but also what Buono believed was in the quarterback’s best interests.

“When you have a young quarterback, you gotta be careful that you don’t try and force him to do things when the situation is not going well,” Buono said. “The pressure on him is released. He knows it’s not all on him. It takes heat off him, and puts it on the team. I believed it was the right thing to do.”
This fan has no problem with Wally going to the bullpen. We needed a spark. The young guy needed a pressure release.

Re our passing game ...

Receivers

QB

Play design

Play calls

So far, our passing game seems to lack the dynamism of the top offenses. Penalties. Sacks. Key drops. Fumbles. They all hurt. Defences now have lots of film on JJ. He needs to adjust a bit. Our O needs to adjust a bit.

It ain't easy. And the competition is fierce. With our hogs run blocking well, with our good RBs, we have a potentially dynamic offence. We are not there yet.

It is not all on JJ. It is on the team, starting with the GM and the coaching staff. Do we have the right mix of players? Will Khari prove himself this year as an OC?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
swervynmerv
Legend

Great analysis as always Blitz!

After last nights game in Edmonton, the Rider Fan site is all jacked up and a Grey Cup is in sight!! Lol

Although better than I thought they would be, I don't know how much of last nights comeback in the 4th after the Esks rattled off 26 straight points was due to the Riders play; or rather the Eskimoes imploding with bad turnovers and not being ready for the on side kick. Probably a bit of both as it seems Edmonton's defence is struggling early.

I think the right move initially is going back to Jennings. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the Mosaic Madhouse. Having the experienced pro in Travis able to come off the bench even if is it for a specific package or to allow JJ to sit back for a series and get the sideline view is a strength for us.

Not sure if Johnson will be ready to go but I may hedge toward Anthony Allen anyways this week. Something tells me his running style matches well with the Rider D and he will be inspired to have a good game against the team that let him go.

Hopefully Brooks is a go as his presence was missed in the middle. Getting pressure on Durant early always seems to affect his game. Hopefully Ryan Phillips can find DD during warm up to say "hello"!!
maxlion
Legend

I feel that the starting point for a successful passing game is lots of short passes, 5-10 yards, let the QB and receivers get into a rhythm. Jones' offense seems to start with lower percentage passes, and the offense can never get going. We get 6 yards on the rush, then go for a 30 yard pass and end up punting.

The announcers keept saying that Lulay's arm strength is back, but I don't see it. On his two long throws, both were underthrown and one was intercepted. He's okay in relief or for a change of pace, but shouldn't be considered for a starting role. He can only get in 1 or 2 drives before the D starts cheating and its game over.
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:I feel that the starting point for a successful passing game is lots of short passes, 5-10 yards, let the QB and receivers get into a rhythm. Jones' offense seems to start with lower percentage passes, and the offense can never get going. We get 6 yards on the rush, then go for a 30 yard pass and end up punting.
The announcers keept saying that Lulay's arm strength is back, but I don't see it. On his two long throws, both were underthrown and one was intercepted. He's okay in relief or for a change of pace, but shouldn't be considered for a starting role. He can only get in 1 or 2 drives before the D starts cheating and its game over.
Like you maxlion, I really believe that confidence is a very important factor for an inexperienced quarterback. Giving him high percentage pass plays to start a game allows him not only to get into rythym but also takes some pressure off and increases confidence.

Jennings, right now, has the lowest completion percentage of all CFL starting quarterbacks. While we are only averaging 202 passing yards per game, our running game success is also a factor in that stat. However, Jennings 58.6% completion average says a lot about our passing g..and that percentage says something not only about Jennings but also our passing game scheme and our receivers. One would also expect, with good gains from running plays on first down and the ability to freeze linebackers with play action, our passing percentage would be one of the highest in the CFL. Usually good production on first down puts a defense in a bind.

This is not the kind of passing game that was anticipated for 2016.

As for Travis Lulay, his numbers of 12/15 looked good and I thought his arm looked the best it has since 2012, in terms of strength. He threw some spirals with velocity and usually they flutter.

Travis was never good at throwing the long ball, even before his shoulder injury. You can still his penchant for bailing to his right too quickly when he feels pressure but he threw well out of the pocket.

But our offence is a pocket passing spread offence that is slot back oriented and the back is usually kept in to block. That doesn't suit Travis style. Travis is best with misdirection play action, semi-boots, throwing on the run, as well as throwing to his back out of the backfield. We did a lot of those things in 2011 and 2012.

But certainly, if Jennings struggles again, we have a quarterback in Lulay who is experienced and is confident and in this last game showed that he can move the offence, at least for a period of time.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Qman
Champion

Blitz wrote:
maxlion wrote:I feel that the starting point for a successful passing game is lots of short passes, 5-10 yards, let the QB and receivers get into a rhythm. Jones' offense seems to start with lower percentage passes, and the offense can never get going. We get 6 yards on the rush, then go for a 30 yard pass and end up punting.
Like you maxlion, I really believe that confidence is a very important factor for an inexperienced quarterback. Giving him high percentage pass plays to start a game allows him not only to get into rythym but also takes some pressure off and increases confidence.

Jennings, right now, has the lowest completion percentage of all CFL starting quarterbacks. While we are only averaging 202 passing yards per game, our running game success is also a factor in that stat. However, Jennings 58.6% completion average says a lot about our passing g..and that percentage says something not only about Jennings but also our passing game scheme and our receivers. One would also expect, with good gains from running plays on first down and the ability to freeze linebackers with play action, our passing percentage would be one of the highest in the CFL. Usually good production on first down puts a defense in a bind.

This is not the kind of passing game that was anticipated for 2016.

As for Travis Lulay, his numbers of 12/15 looked good and I thought his arm looked the best it has since 2012, in terms of strength. He threw some spirals with velocity and usually they flutter.

Travis was never good at throwing the long ball, even before his shoulder injury. You can still his penchant for bailing to his right too quickly when he feels pressure but he threw well out of the pocket.

But our offence is a pocket passing spread offence that is slot back oriented and the back is usually kept in to block. That doesn't suit Travis style. Travis is best with misdirection play action, semi-boots, throwing on the run, as well as throwing to his back out of the backfield. We did a lot of those things in 2011 and 2012.

But certainly, if Jennings struggles again, we have a quarterback in Lulay who is experienced and is confident and in this last game showed that he can move the offence, at least for a period of time.
I always said you have to make two circuits around the league (18 games) to determine if your true starter quality ... DCs will figure you out and force you to do what your poor at. Jennings is in the middle of this process and time will tell. I'm still confident he will get there and not hit a low ceiling (like drew willy appear to have)

Jennings pass % is low because he throwing alot of deep throws (some would say toooo many given we have no deep threats) versus teams like Ottawa (alot of quick spread type throws) or Toronto (constant check downs throws and rely on YAC yards).
Last edited by Qman on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not surprising in the least that Jonathon gets the start in Regina next week. Buono said in the post game Lulay's play did not alter the quarterback situation ie. Jonathon is the starter; Lulay is the backup.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

The only way this team had a chance coming into this year is if Jennings puts them on his back.

Bottom 4 o-line
Bottom 4 receiving corps
Bottom 3 offensive coaching staff :tp:
^And those are conservative estimates
Running backs are a wash across the league unless you have a John White

The offence is a tire fire, unless Jennings shows magic. But he's in a tough spot with what he's got to work with.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Blitz
Team Captain

korey&dante4ever wrote:The only way this team had a chance coming into this year is if Jennings puts them on his back.

Bottom 4 o-line
Bottom 4 receiving corps
Bottom 3 offensive coaching staff :tp:
^And those are conservative estimates
Running backs are a wash across the league unless you have a John White

The offence is a tire fire, unless Jennings shows magic. But he's in a tough spot with what he's got to work with.
I'm not so sure that our offensive line is bottom four in the CFL this season Korey&dante forever. We lead the CFL in rushing, However, we have given up 8 sacks, the third most in the CFL. Sacks and pressures are different stats. Jennings has not been under a ton of pressure in most games, other than the first half of our season opener. Probably give our offensive line a mid rating at this point.

However, our offence ranks 6th in points scored, even though our defense has been the key to our CFL leading time of possession and created a lot of two and outs. We're fifth in the CFL in passing yards but Jennings right now has the lowest completion average of any starting quarterback in the CFL.

We're also tied for second in the CFL in giving up the most turnovers - 7 in our first three games.

So, as I mentioned in previous posts - the passing game comes down to scheme (coaching), quarterback, and receivers.

So, the book is still out on Khari Jones, Marcel, and Dorazio.

Second question - are the combination of Arsenault, Moore, Burnham and Gore (plus Iannuzzi in the five pack) good enough?

Finally, is Jennings, with his limited experience, going to be able to lead our offence to the promised land?

It will take the next number of games to determine whether, offensively, we are going ot be good enough this season. I sure liked Anthony Allen's play against Toronto. He had a 6.7 yd. run average, rushed for more yards in his one game than Jerimiah rushed for in his first two games, and on his pass reception touchdown he showed great cutting ability and also ran over defensive backs.

Certainly, we can't keep putting the kind of pressure on our defense that we have, for long stretches, due to offensive lack of production. Over time that wears a defense out, mentally, if not physically. Our defense is 2nd in the CFL in terms of points allowed and tied for first in the CFL in quarterback sacks.

No question that our offence has to get going and get more points on the board in games.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote: I view our passing offence as more of an issue for Jennings. We line up Gore outside almost all the time. We line up Iannuzzi wide almost all the time in our five pack receiver set. Arsenault, Moore, and Burnham are almost always in the slot, using the waggle. We don't take advantage of matchups.

For example, at times, we could line up four receivers to the wide side of the field and isolate Arsenault on the short side. He can beat single coverage, especially against a corner that we can exploit, and if they double him, we go to the wide side, where one of our receivers should be open. We could move receivers around more (we used to do that with Simon) and use motion more often to create space.

Right now our passing game is very easy to predict and therefore defend. Stubler played his safety up to take away our slotback routes and cover the inside of the field. Jennings is rarely given a set passing play and goes through progression reads on almost every play. We don't seem to be making it easier for him, knowing that he lacks experience.
Excellent stuff as usual Blitz. This is a great concern. Not only does an effective running game provide great balance, it should really open up the passing game, especially for play action yet we are hardly fooling anyone.
Try to think how many times this season our receivers were wide open behind coverage and Jennings made an over or under throw? Even the Burnham drop in Hamilton came with a DB a couple of steps away. And Manny's big catch last Thursday was made between a pair of Argo dbs.

Right now we are putting a lot pressure on the defence to stay competitive and win games. This is the CFL afterall and there are going to be wide open games like we witnessed on Friday night. Right now, the Lions don't seem capable of getting into "shootouts" until their passing game becomes more dynamic and less predictable.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

actually, based on pts per game played, lions offense ranks 7th in points
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

Not only does an effective running game provide great balance, it should really open up the passing game, especially for play action yet we are hardly fooling anyone.
Try to think how many times this season our receivers were wide open behind coverage and Jennings made an over or under throw? Even the Burnham drop in Hamilton came with a DB a couple of steps away. And Manny's big catch last Thursday was made between a pair of Argo dbs.

Right now we are putting a lot pressure on the defence to stay competitive and win games. This is the CFL after all and there are going to be wide open games like we witnessed on Friday night. Right now, the Lions don't seem capable of getting into "shootouts" until their passing game becomes more dynamic and less predictable. Sammy Green
We're sure not going to win a shootout with our offence playing as it has to date. Some may think we haven't opened up the play book. Yet, I doubt we'll see a lot more innovation from our offence. Khari has gone with more two back and tight end sets than he did in 2014. But he still doesn't use much motion or move his receivers around much. There is little misdirection play action, even with such a good running game to date.

What we mostly have is the inside zone trap hen run on first down runs and a lot of five pack receiver set with the waggle from our slot backs in passing situations. Sometimes we throw out of the off-set two back formation with balanced receivers to each side. Its quite bland and relies on quick reads and accurate throws from the pocket from Jennings.

When Toronto starting lining up five defenders on the line of scrimmage in an attempt to defend our run and brought their safety up as well, we had a lot of single coverage against Gore, Iannuzzi, and Burnham.

Manny Arsenault ranks 6th in the CFL in terms of being a passing target and yet he is 20th in CFL receiving yards. He's getting a lot of attention and we're giving him a lot of attention.

Gore has been targeted less times and yet is 9th in CFL receiving.

Basically this is the way CFL defenses are playing us. They double cover our outside short side wide receiver. They bring their safety up to help with our slotbacks. Their wideside halfback covers the deep outside and they drop their wide side corner off to help out with a slot back. Basically they don't cover Iannuzzi in zone unless he runs an intermediate or deep route. We could throw wide side to our outside receiver at will until they change their zone coverage.

Problem is we don't throw to our wide side wide receiver except down field and then rarely. Iannuzzi has 4 catches this season, which is more than his average. Since Iannazzi became our starter in 2011, he has averaged less than one reception per game. Defenses know we don't throw to him in the wide side flat and therefore they ignore that zone area on defense.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Lulay was never accurate on his deep throws.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Marco Iannuzzi the new Lyle Green ??
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Marco Iannuzzi the new Lyle Green ??
Its an interesting analogy TheLionKing.

I was a huge Lyle Green fan...he could play fullback, tailback, tight end, and slot back. He was a very good runner, blocker, and receiver. He could go deep. He was an excellent special teams player. And he was badly underutilized.

Iannuzzi seems to have speed, decent hands, but he has never been able to establish himself like a Ryan Thelwell, even though he has mostly been our starter from 2011 - 2016.

I would love to see Adekolu be given a shot at that position. He's had good training camps and exhibition games.

Interesting to read Landry's Take Aways from Week 3, regarding our Lions. Landy said:

3. You can run your way to a win against the BC Lions.

Canadian Press
The Argo ground game keyed a win over the BC Lions in Week 3 (The Canadian Press)

That sounds insane, doesn’t it? With a strong front seven, keyed by the tackling machines known as Solomon Elimimian and Adam Bighill, attacking the Lions on the ground seems like a doomed strategy. However, the Toronto Argonauts showed us that it can be a strong play, as long as you execute it well. Executing well means getting offensive linemen in the way of Bighill and Elimimian before they can lock their targeting on a running back. You know, the way it’s best to take out a missile while it’s still in its silo.

The Argos had the lead at halftime on Thursday night, that is true. But there was a sense that their sputtering offence – which everyone knows is supremely pass-heavy – might not be able to hit the igniter against the Lions. Lo and behold, veteran Brandon Whitaker found seams galore and showed he can still blast through them. Whitaker had four rushes for 17 yards in the first half. Nine for 80 in the second. I’d like those Mythbusters guys to come out of retirement because we had a couple shattered: That you shouldn’t run against Team 100 and that the Argos can’t muster a ground game.
One of the problems of Washington running so much 3 man defensive line, with Eliminian and Bighill lined up in the gaps, is that it allows offensive lineman to get clean blocks on them. Adding to the problem is that Bighill and Eliminian, while good tacklers, are not great at shedding and scraping at times either.