Bob Ackles Anniversary

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Today is the 8th anniversary of the passing of Bob Ackles. It seems in some ways the Lions have never really recovered from that loss, or maybe its just that Bob is impossible to replace. Bob would have been 77 today, and likely retired. But I wonder how the Lions would be different had he not left this world suddenly back in 2008? At the very least I believe our attendance would have been much better over the last 5 years. Bob was all about the fan experience and the relationship with the community. I think he would have seen the Empire Field season+ and the re-opening of BC Place as an incredible opportunity to get people really excited about football in BC. I doubt he would have let ticket prices climb as much as they have, understanding that the team needs young families to come to games, fans that are finding life in the lower mainland prohibitively more and more expensive.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

God bless, Bobby. Rest in peace.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I'm not 100 percent convinced Wally would have still returned to coaching if attendance and the Lions popularity were even remotely close to the levels when Ackles led the club to its resurgence.

Under Buono and Ackles it was the best of both worlds and I'm sure Wally knows just how hard Bob had worked to bring the franchise back. Wally doesn't have Ackles' business savvy as a GM but instead has returned to his greatest strength to ensure at least the on field product improves.

I also wonder if Bob would have promoted his son Scott to president if he had a chance to retire and oversee the transition.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

It's been 8 years and we still haven't gotten around to naming the playing surface (for Lions games) "Bobby Ackles Field at BC Place".

Shameful, IMO.
footballtom
Rookie

There is no way the lions would have slipped in attendance if bob ackles was still with us in fact we probably would have had close to 30,000 season ticket holders and probably averaging close to 40,000 at the new bc place Ackles would not have allowed the high prices and the way Brailey has run this team . it would still have been Ackles team and he would still be the boss.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A lot has changed since Bob Ackles died. Every game is on TV now and everyone who watches sports on TV has a big HD screen AND can watch at home for free, with an unlimited supply of cheap beer and snacks. TSN is paying the league $40 million for the right to televise every game in the time slots that are most convenient for TSN's schedule. The core Lions fan base is in the Fraser Valley and outside the Lower Mainland and can't get to Thursday games. Friday games are a royal pain to get downtown and back from the Fraser Valley but at least most fans don't have to get up at 4 or 5 a.m. for work the next morning. Most friends and neighbours who cancelled their season tickets tell me they prefer to watch the games at home for free. You can't turn back the clock. I don't know if Ackles could have dealt with this situation any better. He didn't have to face these challenges when he was around.
footballtom
Rookie

B.C.FAN wrote:A lot has changed since Bob Ackles died. Every game is on TV now and everyone who watches sports on TV has a big HD screen can watch at home for free, with an unlimited supply of cheap beer and snacks. TSN is paying the league $40 million for the right to televise every game in the time slots that are most convenient for TSN's schedule. The core Lions fan base is in the Fraser Valley and outside the Lower Mainland and can't get to Thursday games. Friday games are a royal pain to get downtown and back from the Fraser Valley but at least most fans don't have to get up at 4 or 5 a.m. for work the next morning. Most friends and neighbours who cancelled their season tickets tell me they prefer to watch the games at home for free. You can't turn back the clock. I don't know if Ackles could have dealt with this situation any better. He didn't have to face these challenges when he was around.

Yes he did HD tv was in full swing back then with the SD connection being blacked out 85 % of BC residents had HD back then it would have not of made a difference. the Lions over the last 8 years have become Boring and stale ( not including the 2011 grey cup year ) The lions and Canucks are not a good enough reason to go downtown anymore were if it was the NFL NBA etc it would be. They did a poll question CKNW this year asking what team would you come and see if you had to travel from the suburbs, The Lions whitecaps or canucks 60 percent said the Whitecaps 30 percent said the canucks 10 percent said the lions .

Ackles would have made a difference he would have given you reason to go see the lions no matter how far you lived.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I hate to put this in a post about the passing of Ackles, but I have such a frustration with Skulsky. It may not be fair to him to be compared, but I really think Skulsky needs to be gone from the leadership of this team. He doesn't even have a Twitter account, which to me says he is way out of touch.