Nicknames

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

We've had some good ones here through the years - Cardiac Kids (1977), The Headhunters (1964), Orange Crush (1985). Solly and Biggie are called Team100 (the sum total their uniform numbers 56 + 44).

I thought that one was a little lame, so I've created my own.

The Fast (44) and The Furious (56) - a play on the $3.8 billion movie franchise about muscle cars, and it also describes the style of play each employs. I've created a poster too:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like Team 100, and you can add Purifoy (#0) to that equation if you want. No improvement is needed.

If the defensive line keeps up its play, especially against the run, it will need a name. I loved The Headhunters of the Lions' first Grey Cup teams in the 1960s. Perhaps something along the lines of the Wall of Doom or the Great Wall or Wally's Wall.
South Pender
Legend

I like it! Wouldn't it be great if we could develop a "Thunder and Lightning" backfield like the New York Giants tandem of Ron Dayne and Tiki Barber in 2000 and, later, Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. I guess this would require some meaningful offensive plays that would include Chris Rainey (the "lightning") alongside either Jeremiah Johnson or Anthony Allen (the "thunder").
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, B.C.Fan, delightful thought -- or, additionally Team 100 plus Purifoy (#0) could be considered as 100 + 0 = Team 1000! (That is, if you're willing to be visual rather than mathematical... Cheers.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe, in a different thread coined the name "The Girth Guys" for the O line. I love it as this is the largest O line that the Lions have ever had and the nickname refers back to coach Dorazio's comment, "He's got good girth" when referring to Sorensen back when he was a Lion.
CardiacKid
Legend

I love it! I think it's great.

So much of how we the fans are supposed to show our support for a team is manufactured by the team itself, whether it's something devised by a marketing department or the PA announcer exhorting the crowd to "make some noise". It's refreshing when the supporters themselves create a slogan, shirt, uniform whatever to show their love for a team and its players.

I've kinda thought "Team 100" was a bit.....meh. I like the idea of combining their respective #s and what it symbolizes but it lacks punch. It could be "The Centurians" or "The Yards" to keep with the 100 theme. Or "The Battling Bordens" (for the PM on the $100 bill)....ok that one is weak.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great work, David. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I still like the Headhunters.
DJeffery
Rookie

DanoT wrote:referring to Sorensen back when he was a Lion.
Actually, Dean Valli. :ref:
BC 1988
Legend

DJeffery wrote:
DanoT wrote:referring to Sorensen back when he was a Lion.
Actually, Dean Valli. :ref:
Behold the immortal quote!! (Dean Valli was interviewed on 1040 a few weeks back and he said he took a lot of kidding from his teammates back then. Today, he's proud of being forever remembered in Vancouver as the One of Good Girth).

David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Great work, David. :thup:
Thanks WCJ. My secondary name for Solly and Biggie is "Assault & Battery." :roar:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I like it! Wouldn't it be great if we could develop a "Thunder and Lightning" backfield like the New York Giants tandem of Ron Dayne and Tiki Barber in 2000 and, later, Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. I guess this would require some meaningful offensive plays that would include Chris Rainey (the "lightning") alongside either Jeremiah Johnson or Anthony Allen (the "thunder").
We already had that in 2000 with Diesel (Millington) and Drummond.
mws
Starter

:beauty: Great work, David!