Lions 28 - TiCats 3 -- Game Journal and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Who come off the field when Thompson came into the game?

The O line is doing great for a unit that has everyone in a new position. Vaillancourt does not look out of place and absolutely pancaked his guy on Shaq's TD run.

Shaq did a very good job in relief of Johnson.

Iannuzi is never going to get much action as the wide side WR but did a great, reliable job as a returner in relief for Rainy.

Is Mark Washinton, in his 4th year as DC, becoming the DC that the Lions said he would be when they dropped Stubler and promoted Washington in 2013? Limiting the Cats to 3 points after the Cats had scored 45 points against the Stubler coached Argos....amazing.

It appears that Wally has done an outstanding job rebuilding the Lions and making the team younger. 3rd year guys like Yell and Lee or 2nd year guys like Brooks and Roh are not really well known around the CFL but will be soon. Ist year guy Purifoy, who beat out Clarke for Nickelback, where did the Lions find him?

Free agent signings Edam and Stewart have pushed last seasons starters Fraser and Clarke to a backup/special teams role. Having experienced guys that can step in when/if needed= :beer:

Nice to see every 3DownNation reporter and every blogger and podcaster incorrectly pick the Cats for the victory. One podcaster and his co host (not from Hamilton) were actually laughing at the prospect of the Lions beating the TiCats. Lions and their fans are the ones laughing now. Giving up only 3 points is amazing but somehow I think 3DownNation and others will tend to blame the TiCats rather than credit the Lions. :bang: :bang:
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:Who come off the field when Thompson came into the game?

The O line is doing great for a unit that has everyone in a new position. Vaillancourt does not look out of place and absolutely pancaked his guy on Shaq's TD run.

Shaq did a very good job in relief of Johnson.

Iannuzi is never going to get much action as the wide side WR but did a great, reliable job as a returner in relief for Rainy.

Is Mark Washinton, in his 4th year as DC, becoming the DC that the Lions said he would be when they dropped Stubler and promoted Washington in 2013? Limiting the Cats to 3 points after the Cats had scored 45 points against the Stubler coached Argos....amazing.

It appears that Wally has done an outstanding job rebuilding the Lions and making the team younger. 3rd year guys like Yell and Lee or 2nd year guys like Brooks and Roh are not really well known around the CFL but will be soon. Ist year guy Purifoy, who beat out Clarke for Nickelback, where did the Lions find him?

Free agent signings Edam and Stewart have pushed last seasons starters Fraser and Clarke to a backup/special teams role. Having experienced guys that can step in when/if needed= :beer:

Nice to see every 3DownNation reporter and every blogger and podcaster incorrectly pick the Cats for the victory. One podcaster and his co host (not from Hamilton) were actually laughing at the prospect of the Lions beating the TiCats. Lions and their fans are the ones laughing now. Giving up only 3 points is amazing but somehow I think 3DownNation and others will tend to blame the TiCats rather than credit the Lions. :bang: :bang:

Good post Dano , seems like many experts actually pay no attention to what goes on on the West Coast and it has become fashionable to under rate BC just because . A lot happened here in the off season that they never noticed . Nor did they notice the strides BC made late last year and the number of promising new players BC had already , that only needed more time to mature . Nice to see egg on their faces . I know it's still a long way to go , but their was no justification for having such a low view of BC from the get go . Even inspite of all the turmoil that occured with the Esks And Riders we were plain in last place in their eyes , no matter what we did .
I for one was very happy to see Stubler let go when he was , as he was as good as he was going to get and he was the master of the 3 man rush that gave up first downs . He only looks good when he has a sensational offence to back up his defence , so that he only needs to slow down the opponent enough , that the opponents offence can't keep up to his own offence . So giving up first downs is okay in the Stubler D , just don't give up the big play . If his own offence can't do that,(out pace the opponent ) his defence is not going to get it done IMO. Mark Washington is a much better DC IMO. Our offence has not really clicked yet , but when they do , look out . So far our Defence has been the key to our wins against two of the top teams . I bet Kent Austin doesn't think MW is a mediocre DC.
And if we string along a few more wins we will climb out of the cellar in their eyes . As it is we are in first place at the moment .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Who come off the field when Thompson came into the game?
I wondered why Thompson was playing too, but another poster mentioned that the Lions didn't dress a backup international DB (Steven Clarke and Maxx Forde appear to have been the two scratches), so that makes sense. The Lions usually go with a three-man front in passing situations, and they needed to do that a lot in the second half with Brooks injured and Hamilton trailing by three TDs, so Thompson seemed to get a lot of playing time as the extra DB. It shows that the coaches have a lot of respect for a raw rookie who is the least experienced of the three Canadian backup DBs on the roster (with Fraser and Parker).
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Time for me to pour some more well deserved praise after the past couple of weeks.

Wally: His remarkable tenure as a coach here slipped in the latter years until the 2011 run but now we are reminded again. He holds everyone accountable and has earned the respect of his players that is simply unmatched. These guys would run through a wall for him. As a coach that is hard to accomplish in any league or any sport.

Mark Washington: Thought it might be a make it or break it season in his coaching career. Has learned from his past four seasons as DC and the talent he has to work with. There were a few times where Masoli went through his reads and simply didn't have the options that were available the previous week and you could see his frustration. Washington is throwing a whole bunch of looks at opposing offences including double safeties which is getting Anthony Thompson value game time too. I will leave it to Blitz to get into the Xs and Os of the various looks Washington is giving. But keep this up and he is destined to be at the top of head coaching candidates next season.

Shawn Gore & Jamal Westerman: Two one-time promising Canadians that are thriving with Wally back in charge. Throw Lokombo, Edem, Menard, Steward, Vallincourt and Husband and the Lions' national talent is looking as good as anyone. Also tells what they think of Thompson's ability when they don't even dress an extra American DB. Didn't see Ianuzzi targeted even once last night. Sure would like to see Adekolu get some playing time.
Real short turnaround week with some potential key injuries to be concerned about — Brooks, Johnson and Rainey. Very likely we will see Anthony Allen, Bryant Turner and maybe JC Coleman against the Argos.
It was obvious last season that this Leo team had a lot of young talent. We lost 5 games out of 6 going into the fourth quarter with the lead last year, which can happen to a young team. That young 2015 squad was also hampered by a very conservative George Cortez offence and a passive defensive style of play, with Bighill on defense, often dropping off to playing a second safety for a chunk of the season, Roh and Westerman playing out of position for most of the season, and poor special teams play,

Going into this season, we knew we had the best linebacking unit in the CFL, with Bighill, Eliminian, and Lokimbo and Purifoy has been an upgrade at nickel so far. In the defensive backfield, we had ball hawks and talent in Yell, Lee, and Phillips but we lacked a safety. With Edem and Stewart we've added experience and smarts in the secondary and Thompson is proving out to be a wise 2nd round 2016 draft pick.

With Brooks inside and Westerman returning to his natural tackle position, our interior defensive line also looked solid. My two worries for 2016 were our passs rush and our defensive scheme. Our pass rush has been good so far this season. With Roh and Bazzie playing well and Minter continuing to be force, with Maxx Forde's improved development, with the additions of Allen and Palacio, our Leos can throw a lot of fresh bodies out there for our defensive line rotation.

But the biggest change has been our defensive scheme so far. We've used a lot of three man defensive line and then blitzed a linebacker or two or even a defensive back. We've really mixed up our pass rush. We've still played a lot of zone but we've used more looks and even more importantly, we've played more aggressively. Last year, we stuggled against the run and so far this season, we've done a very good job in that department.

Offensively, the surprise of this short season so far has to be the play of Shawn Gore in his new position as our short side outside receiver. While Arsenault has been our most targeted receiver (19 times in 2 games) Gore is third in CFL receiving yards after two games. Jeremiah Johnson is third I'm rushing yards to date. Jennings is only sixth in passing yards after two games.

But coaching wise, like Washington on defence, Khari Jones has made changes to his scheme. Mostly in the five pack and six pack receiver sets in 2014, Jones, this season, has used a lot of two back sets as well as tight end sets on first down and even sometimes on second down. That is a very different philosophy.

So, so far, in our first two games, its been our defense that has led the way. We've rushed the football effectively, if not spectacularly, at key times, and played well in the fourth quarter. Jennings fumble in the red zone and the turnover by Murray-Lawrence have been the only miscues in an offence that has gotten the job done. Jennings has taken a lot of chances with some of his throws but he has not been afraid to be aggressive and he has thrown some key receptions.

Two games does not a season make but I get a different sense about this 2016 Lions team so far. There is more poise about them. Jennings doesn't rattle. There seems to be a greater sense of confidence. Whether that comes from Wally or not is hard to determine but it at least appears to be a key factor.

Another factor is that we make adjustments. In our first game, our pass protection was awful in the first half but we adjusted. Our special team blocking was awful in the first game and our downfield coverage was lacking. Both were definitely fixed for our game against Hamilton. Those kinds of changes also inspire confidence.

This is going to be an intriguing season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
With Brooks inside and Westerman returning to his natural tackle position, our interior defensive line also looked solid. My two worries for 2016 were our passs rush and our defensive scheme. Our pass rush has been good so far this season. With Roh and Bazzie playing well and Minter continuing to be force, with Maxx Forde's improved development, with the additions of Allen and Palacio, our Leos can throw a lot of fresh bodies out there for our defensive line rotation.

Great analysis Blitz, but Minter was released a few days ago. I think it was LU that reported that Minter had come to camp out of shape.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great comments, Guys.

Re the running game ...

JJ24 12 for 76. Shaq 13 for 39. Hard yards. It seems to this fan that it is easy for CFL teams to get away from the run game. Lots of reasons. But Khari stuck with it. Our hogs wore down the very good Cat defence. Every running play is one less hit on your QB. And it is one more play in hell (hogs pounding on you, find the RB, fight your way to him, please pass the ball instead) for the defence. Good defences live for getting after the QB. Running the ball puts them back on their heels.

115 yards on the ground from our two RBs. :thup: Plus with the D worn down a bit, back on their heels a bit, JJ can scramble occasionally.

Kudos to Khari for the game plan and calls.

Kudos to Dan D for his work with the hogs, the Girth Guys.

And kudos to JJ24 and Shaq for the hard yards that make other parts of the game easier.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Great comments, Guys.

JJ24 12 for 76. Shaq 13 for 39. Hard yards. It seems to this fan that it is easy for CFL teams to get away from the run game. Lots of reasons. But Khari stuck with it. Our hogs wore down the very good Cat defence. Every running play is one less hit on your QB. And it is one more play in hell for the defence. Good defences live for getting after the QB. Running the ball puts them back on their heels.

115 yards on the ground from our two RBs. :thup: Plus with the D worn down a bit, back on their heels a bit, JJ can scramble occasionally.

And kudos to JJ24 and Shaq for the hard yards that make other parts of the game easier.
I like nicknames in sports (non sports too: see my user name). "Girth Guys" is it for the large O line and Dan Dorazio's quote of long ago: "He's got good girth". :yahoo:

Creamsicle away uniforms, Girth Guys, and 2-0 thanks to a strong D, I'm loving the start to the season. :roar:
Lionsfan65
Starter

All in all a solid game for the Lions, especially against the best team in the east. Now that we beat the best team in the west, and the best team in the east, I wonder if we will actually move up in the power rankings, TSN still had us at #9 last week.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Blitz wrote:

Great analysis Blitz, but Minter was released a few days ago. I think it was LU that reported that Minter had come to camp out of shape.
I meant Menard.....sorry!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Biggest difference between this year and last is the line play. Our defensive schemes seems to be confusing QBs and giving our pass rush that extra split second to apply pressure - causing quick throws, misfires, sacks, or INTs. We're simply not getting burned deep. We're also tackling much better this year.

Our offensive line has looked really good for 6 straight quarters now. I can't recall the last time we were this physically dominant up front (Husband has been a revelation at centre!). I like the tough, 'up the gut' yards that Johnson can get us this year (and his blocking ability) but of course, miss Harris's skill at catching the swing pass and turning it into a big gain.

You can really see this team starting to gel. They appear to be a tight-knit group that believes in one another - a recipe for continued success (see below):

http://www.bclions.com/2016/07/01/all-a ... -hamilton/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Our offensive line has looked really good for 6 straight quarters now. I can't recall the last time we were this physically dominant up front (Husband has been a revelation at centre!). I like the tough, 'up the gut' yards that Johnson can get us this year (and his blocking ability) but of course, miss Harris's skill at catching the swing pass and turning it into a big gain.
Husband has been great but Vaillancourt has been the shining star of the O-line. On Shaq's TD run, Vaillancourt pancaked his man to give Shaq the hole he needed to squeeze into the end zone.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is beautiful. Great blocking at the point of attack, at the goal line.

Husband and Vaillancourt double team the formidable Ted Laurent. He has no chance. Laurent ends up fully pancaked (as noted above) with Vaillancourt on top. LOL

Johnson 57 makes a beautiful block on a penetrating defender opening up the gap for Shaq.

Olafioye seals his man. Great work. Touchdown.

Bodies all over the field. Ya gotta love it.

Years ago I read about a high school coach who coached the single wing running attack. That is what he said: Bodies all over the field after the play. LOL

Hooray for the hogs.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The hogs. The Girth Guys.

Some recognition for guys who don't always get the glory.

From the left ...

Fabien

Steward

O'Neill

Husband

Vaillancourt

Johnson

Olafioye

Lumbala ... Yes he is a hog. --> Great blocker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Great comments, Guys.

JJ24 12 for 76. Shaq 13 for 39. Hard yards. It seems to this fan that it is easy for CFL teams to get away from the run game. Lots of reasons. But Khari stuck with it. Our hogs wore down the very good Cat defence. Every running play is one less hit on your QB. And it is one more play in hell for the defence. Good defences live for getting after the QB. Running the ball puts them back on their heels.

I like nicknames in sports (non sports too: see my user name). "Girth Guys" is it for the large O line and Dan Dorazio's quote of long ago: "He's got good girth". :yahoo:

Creamsicle away uniforms, Girth Guys, and 2-0 thanks to a strong D, I'm loving the start to the season. :roar:

The definition of gang tackling. Mark W has his guys doing it. Hustle to the ball. Man, they were on fire. Six orange hats on the ball. That is an Orange Tsunami.

Ya like that nickname, DanoT? LOL

Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:Our offensive line has looked really good for 6 straight quarters now. I can't recall the last time we were this physically dominant up front (Husband has been a revelation at centre!). I like the tough, 'up the gut' yards that Johnson can get us this year (and his blocking ability) but of course, miss Harris's skill at catching the swing pass and turning it into a big gain.
Husband has been great but Vaillancourt has been the shining star of the O-line. On Shaq's TD run, Vaillancourt pancaked his man to give Shaq the hole he needed to squeeze into the end zone.

Its been interesting to watch our play to start this season vs 2015 and even 2014. A surprise is that Gore is our leading receiver so far, followed by Bryan Burnham. One would have anticipated that it would be Manny and Moore leading the way. Arsenault has been targeted the most times. Of course, over the course of the season, our leading receivers could change. Jennings obviously feels comfortable throwing to Gore on the short side outside.

Our running attack has improved since the first half of Game 1. Johnson has a 5.7 average but has not been used much in the passing game. That is a different style than the recent past, when Lulay looked to Harris as his primary target. Harris is tied for first place in the CFL in receptions so far this season but his run average is 4.4 over his first two games.

I wonder if we will attempt to use Johnson more as a pass receiver as the season continues. Likely a few times although I doubt he will ever be used as much as a receiver out of the backfield as we used Harris in the past. In his last season at Oregon, Johnson
ran for 1,201 yards on just 168 attempts with 13 TDs and his yards-per-carry average was an impressive 7.1. The scouting report on Johnson's strengths coming out of college were his athleticism, his power and balance, as well as his knack for finding holes.

Rumblings about team chemistry problems have been around for at least a couple of seasons past. Judging by Aragki's comments, they are presently a thing of the past. Its hard to know how much impact winning effects team chemistry or how much team chemistry impacts winning.