Lions 28 - TiCats 3 -- Game Journal and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WCJ, Orange tsunami has a nice ring to it but if we go with truth in advertising it needs to be creamsicle tsunami and somehow that doesn't make it.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

How about Orange Crush
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:How about Orange Crush
It's not original but it works.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Anybody think coaching is an easy gig? Look at the wear and tear on Austin's face. Heck he has a good team. Playoffs every year. Go to the Grey Cup. And still, the pressure. These guys earn their salaries.

Kent Austin after the game:

Too many penalties. On him. Discipline. Mistakes.

Acknowledges how well B.C. played. We have to play a clean game. We missed plays that were there. We missed opportunities for turnovers early. We have to focus on the process of how to get better, to learn from this.

It is not all on Jeremiah. We will get things cleaned up.

As noted numerous times, it is this fan's opinion that he is a terrific coach. Demanding. Extremely high standards. I suspect he might have a relatively low burnout threshold. He has moved on a few times in his career. He was well behaved IMO during this press conference, but one can sense his impatience. He always seems a bit crabby, et cetera.

http://ticats.ca/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Anybody think coaching is an easy gig? Look at the wear and tear on Austin's face. Heck he has a good team. Playoffs every year. Go the Grey Cup. And still, the pressure. These guys earn their salaries.

Kent Austin after the game:

Too many penalties. On him. Discipline. Mistakes.

Acknowledges how well B.C. played. We have to play a clean game. We missed plays that were there. We missed opportunities for turnovers early. We have to focus on the process of how to get better, to learn from this.

It is not all on Jeremiah. We will get things cleaned up.

As noted numerous times, it is this fan's opinion that he is a terrific coach. Demanding. Extremely high standards. I suspect he might have a relatively low burnout threshold. He has moved on a few times in his career. He was well behaved IMO during this press conference, but one can sense his impatience. He always seems a bit crabby, et cetera.

http://ticats.ca/
I totally agree with you WCJ that being a professional football coach is a very, very stressful job. The hours are brutal for a good chunk of a year, the pressure is enormous, the job security terrible for most, and its a job where they are under the microscope. Assistant coaches usually only get one year terms and two years is a long term contract. Not for the faint of heart.

Injuries can also play a key role in the success or struggles of a season. For Head Coaches who do not have the GM or Player Personnel role attached to their job description, they are tied to the talent that they have to work with.

As die hard fans we can often be critics of coaching decisions and I'm certainly one of them but that doesn't mean that there is not the realization that its a very difficult, stressful job. Obviously those who do it have chosen to as their profession and a challenging one it is.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm not worried about Austin. Compared to being an Offensive Coordinator in the SEC, the CFL is a breeze. He has a good, stable, ownership group over his head and produces good results.

"This is the business we've chosen."
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton has cut cornerback Geoff Tisdale after the Lions (Shawn Gore in particular) repeatedly picked on him on Friday. Tisdale has bounced around the league for several years and was a late signing by Hamilton to fill a need in the secondary. Remember they lost Brandon Stewart to the Lions in free agency and had other holes to fill in the offseason.

Ticats release DB Geoff Tisdale after blowout loss to B.C.
pennw
Legend

Watching Austin on the sidelines during the game he did seem much calmer in demeanour than in the past .Even when his team was messing up he appeared to stay calm . It seems to me , he used to fly off the handle a lot more . Good for him , yelling at his guys is not nessassarily going to change things , and some of his young guys are going to be going through a learning curve that will require patience .
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised there was not more hype about the fact that last week's game was a match up of the two all time winningest active head coaches in the CFL! WB with 255 wins and Austin with 42. :)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Belize City Lion wrote:I'm surprised there was not more hype about the fact that last week's game was a match up of the two all time winningest active head coaches in the CFL! WB with 255 wins and Austin with 42. :)
I do recall recently a broadcaster mentioning that Wally has more wins than all 8 other coaches combined.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:I'm surprised there was not more hype about the fact that last week's game was a match up of the two all time winningest active head coaches in the CFL! WB with 255 wins and Austin with 42. :)
I do recall recently a broadcaster mentioning that Wally has more wins than all 8 other coaches combined.
Austin and Milanovich are the only other two active coaches in the top 50.
JohnHenry
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:How about Orange Crush
It's not original but it works.
Creamsicle Crunch